Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Rexicon1 posted:

At this point I think it’s a losing game to try to explain to economy people that what normal people mean when they say “the economy sucks” is “I have no money everything is expensive and I’m working 50 hours a week”. It doesn’t mean “hmm the leading indicators of a recession aren’t appearing at the magnitude we expected, growth for the next few quarters is guaranteed!”

There's still some room left for the line to go to 0. Just dip into your excess savings

https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1660500780036632577

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

There's still some room left for the line to go to 0. Just dip into your excess savings

https://twitter.com/stlouisfed/status/1660500780036632577

A dip like that without people losing their jobs en masse is absolutely incredible.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so when should I start pulling out all my savings? lmao?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

never ever make financial decisions based on what you read on the internet. especially on what you read in cspam

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

Thorn can you give me money to buy ape jpegs, for my family

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

A dip like that without people losing their jobs en masse is absolutely incredible.

thats what happens when you kill 2 million people through the collapse of public health

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Koirhor posted:

thats what happens when you kill 2 million people through the collapse of public health

and disable millions more while the second largest chunk of your population hits social security age

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

never too late to divest into screws

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

At this point I think it’s a losing game to try to explain to economy people that what normal people mean when they say “the economy sucks” is “I have no money everything is expensive and I’m working 50 hours a week”. It doesn’t mean “hmm the leading indicators of a recession aren’t appearing at the magnitude we expected, growth for the next few quarters is guaranteed!”

the leading indicators that we make up weekly and change on a whim to show what we want them to show

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

All those people were already not working and on disability, COVID doesn't kill the healthy.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

never ever make financial decisions based on what you read on the internet. especially on what you read in cspam

give me some money bitch

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've pretty much stopped going to fast food places. They feel like a total rip off now and it's kind of insulting when they come at you with these tiny rear end-burgers at higher prices, they probably think they're being so slick. I'm already used to not going to restaurants because of COVID and now because prices are so drat high and the quality is lower.

Meanwhile inflation is uh, 5%. Sure it is bud, sure it is.

Xaris posted:

ur getting ripped off on the hidden menu "white people pricing" or something cuz i literally just ate tacos tonight in computer touching capital of the world and tacos are still "only" $3.7

which is still a lot but oh well.

Taco prices in CA even in the Bay Area probably aren't representative of the country. I'm gonna miss taco tables and trucks every other block when I have to get out of here next year.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
fast food is just straight up worse and equally expensive to restaurant food. legit do not understand the appeal anymore.

least before if a bunch of ppl were hungry they could like, settle on mcdonalds bc at least then you werent paying a lot.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

buy the dip

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Good news about this problem is it’s self limiting

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1660713275921670173?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

shouting "i'm loving it" at the television that has replaced one wall so i can skip the mcdonald's commercial

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

tristeham posted:

give me some money bitch

go ask your daddy trump, i hear he has lots of it

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

anime was right posted:

fast food is just straight up worse and equally expensive to restaurant food. legit do not understand the appeal anymore.

least before if a bunch of ppl were hungry they could like, settle on mcdonalds bc at least then you werent paying a lot.

Drive-thru convenience and habit are probably a big part of it, plus there are still plenty of fast food places where you can get stupid cheap calories if you pick the right things/take advantage of deals. Buying like an $8 hamburger from Wendy's is extremely dumb, but I can see why people still buy things like two for $4 McDonald's breakfast sandwiches or whatever.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

*libbishly posts 1980 and 1984 election results* :smug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

oh i meant from the perspective of our overlords.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

Only taco bell has slop that tastes like taco bell. Until better eateries start slinging that poo poo, I will still pay out the rear end for that poo poo occasionally.

tempacct52223
May 22, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

"set it and loving forget it" -ronald reagan

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Laughing at your overpriced hamburgers from the safety and comfort of the Costco food court

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

When little caesars raised the price on the hot n ready that's how you knew it was the beginning of the end, at least the Costco hot dog is sacrosanct

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Beached Whale posted:

When little caesars raised the price on the hot n ready that's how you knew it was the beginning of the end, at least the Costco hot dog is sacrosanct

The Costco hot dog is subsidized by the blood of the innocent.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

go ask your daddy trump, i hear he has lots of it

He thinks because I'm tall and fat that I'm a football player so he just keeps buying me rooms full of Big Macs.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

What I want to know is who keeps going to get footlongs at Subway. When they were $5 sure whatever, get the calories in where you can. But now it's $12 for dog food slopped on gross bread. Who does this appeal to

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the $12 dog food sandwich is still a faster and cheaper big lunch sub than you can get anywhere else basically. they're still bottom of the barrel

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

*smiles in canadian*
We have a solution. 🇨🇦

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

Big fan of the Taco Bell Spicy Potato Taco

Apr 7, 2003

https://journalrecord.com/2022/04/14/americas-homeless-ranks-graying-as-more-retire-on-streets/

quote:

America’s homeless ranks graying as more retire on streets

Nestor Castro, 67, was luckier than many who lose permanent homes.

Castro was in his late 50s living in New York when his mother died and he was hospitalized with bleeding ulcers, losing their apartment. He initially stayed with his sister in Boston, then for more than three years at a YMCA in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Just before last Christmas, Castro got a permanent subsidized apartment through Hearth Inc., a Boston nonprofit dedicated to ending homelessness among older adults. Residents pay 30% of their income to stay in one if Hearth’s 228 units.

Castro pays with part of his Social Security check and a part-time job. He also volunteers at a food pantry and a nonprofit that assists people with housing.

“Housing is a big problem around here because they are building luxury apartments that no one can afford,” he said. “A place down the street is $3,068 a month for a studio.”

Whoops, all rents!!

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

the bitcoin of weed posted:

the $12 dog food sandwich is still a faster and cheaper big lunch sub than you can get anywhere else basically. they're still bottom of the barrel

Any of the supermarkets around me will make a footlong sub using real deli meat and bread that actually tastes like bread for like $10. Even the legitimate delis are beating Subway on price at this point.

Subway's continued existence really is confusing. Subway prices aren't cheap even by current insane standards.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

anime was right posted:

restaurant food quality has plummeted since the pandemic. I don't know if it's that producers have consolidated or what but what could at least pass for a real burger before now looks like a freezer burnt hockey puck. real chefs who know what they're doing are harder to find, so most places just serve slop. it's very depressing.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

The Costco hot dog is subsidized by the blood of the innocent.

I once went to a "fancy" poutine place that sold me an identical costco poutine with sysco fries for twice the costco price

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

🤨

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Big fan of the Taco Bell Spicy Potato Taco

I thought they got rid of that, and all potato items because potatoes were too expensive?

I legit haven’t been in like 6 years so I don’t know but I thought I read some big vegetarian uproar over getting rid of potato taco n stuff

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Only taco bell has slop that tastes like taco bell. Until better eateries start slinging that poo poo, I will still pay out the rear end for that poo poo occasionally.

i will actually make a notable exception on this one because when i had nerve damage, the only thing i could physically eat was taco bell.

Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

I thought they got rid of that, and all potato items because potatoes were too expensive?

I just bought a bag of them two weeks ago

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Xaris posted:

I legit haven’t been in like 6 years so I don’t know but I thought I read some big vegetarian uproar over getting rid of potato taco n stuff

They did do that and then brought them back because of said big vegetarian uproar. the potato taco is the best thing on the menu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

They got rid of it for a time and then brought it back.

I got to watch them raise the price by 10 cents a week a dollar to a 1.50 last year.