Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Blue Moon City is an ok area majority city building game.

Blue Moon (Legends) is an all time great 2p card battler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

neosloth posted:

Did you get any shipping notification for yours? Don't think Ive seen any updates on my pledge since the initial contribution

Would love to hear how the first few sessions go, as I dont think I'll even be able to get this on the table for a few months

Yeah, I got a notification from ShipHero the day before it went out. I’m in California and it shipped from Missouri on the 18th. I also got the regular edition, not the one with the extra titty minis or characters if it matters. I did get the “help us with shipping plz” item pack though.

I had radio silence for months and then a notification out of nowhere.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FulsomFrank posted:

Also when did Tigris and Euphrates become a grail game to people, aren't there a million copies floating around?

Link to BGG Versions in English page. Looks like there was a big gap between editions from 2008 until 2015. It might also have been because that version was right before a huge boom in the hobby board game space where Dominion and Pandemic came out the same year as that reprint, but that Mayfair edition may have been printed to smaller expected demand. This is all just speculation, of course.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friend got in the new Keyforge set, Winds of Exchange, and it's the real deal. We played four different decks, and I looked at some others he opened. There's a lot more to do in the game now, with a lot more interaction. I didn't see any decks that had no way to slow its opponents down, which was a big problem in past sets. If someone was able to efficiently gather aember, which most decks could do, a deck with zero interaction had to sit there and watch. Now decks can do both, and there's a lot of back and forth.

Token creatures make the game more interesting too. There's rarely a dead turn where you just reap twice and pass. Every card seems to have been designed with synergy in mind, and the cards and houses are better balanced. It's early, but I think the "buy two random decks and play" experience is ten times better than it's ever been.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

FulsomFrank posted:

My grail game story is that I was in communications with the designer who was acting as an interpreter and negotiator with a small FLGS based out of Argentina in order to try and grab a copy of Imperios Millenaros. Heavy Cardboard said they loved it and it's a civilisation game so already I want it.

Literally know nothing else about it.

Legit never expected to see someone mention Imperios Milenarios here lol every now and then you see a used copy in local markets, the market / audience just wasn't there for the game back when it came out so there are relatively few copies around. Will keep an eye out for a copy if I ever see one in case your deal falls through or w/e

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally! it does take up an entire kallax cube

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Red7 suffers from the fact that Air Land and Sea now exists. Because the best mode for Red7 is 1v1 using the advanced rules and the score tokens, so if you think you've drawn a poo poo hand, you can surrender early to deny victory points to the foe. But Air Land and Sea has taken over that niche for me now.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

LifeLynx posted:

My friend got in the new Keyforge set, Winds of Exchange, and it's the real deal. We played four different decks, and I looked at some others he opened. There's a lot more to do in the game now, with a lot more interaction. I didn't see any decks that had no way to slow its opponents down, which was a big problem in past sets. If someone was able to efficiently gather aember, which most decks could do, a deck with zero interaction had to sit there and watch. Now decks can do both, and there's a lot of back and forth.

Token creatures make the game more interesting too. There's rarely a dead turn where you just reap twice and pass. Every card seems to have been designed with synergy in mind, and the cards and houses are better balanced. It's early, but I think the "buy two random decks and play" experience is ten times better than it's ever been.

Is the "vomit out cards of the most populous house in your hand" aspect any different? If that sounds jaded, it is.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Parts posted:

Is the "vomit out cards of the most populous house in your hand" aspect any different? If that sounds jaded, it is.

I think so. In old sets you'd want to do that - cards came in exhausted and didn't do anything until your next turn, at minimum. Sometimes you'd vomit out those cards and then do that again with another house, and the turn after that you'd be in a position to activate the cards you played two turns ago. Not great gameplay. In our four games plus his games with someone else, we found that all our turns had actual gameplay. Creatures have come into play abilities, actions have unique effects, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Finally! it does take up an entire kallax cube

I used to have a cat that did the same thing. What about the game?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Jedit posted:

Dogs of War is a grail game, but also getting a reprint soon I believe. And unless it gets picked up by someone I can see Asterix: Caesar's Empire becoming one. It's a really nice little route builder that plays in 40 minutes with 5, has a very popular theme, and the publisher - Holy Grail Games, ironically - went out of business with most of the stock trapped in the warehouse.

Ah yes forgot about Dogs of War! I want that. Something about the possible reprint had me concerned - maybe it was getting rethemed? Might just be thinking of Ethnos (which IMO is a great game that would benefit from a retheme, but not the one it’s getting).

drat you for telling me about that Asterix/Caesar game, my son is super into Asterix and if it’s any good I would have got it, but looks Tricky. It’s that good you think it’s gonna be grailworthy to some?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I used to have a cat that did the same thing. What about the game?

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, it's my birthday tomorrow so I might try then

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
So.... the Guards of Atlantis 2 2nd printing pledge manager is closing and it's making me utterly sad. I backed just the core game the first time around and the game is amazing and brilliant and I need to own all of it, but holy loving poo poo is it expensive just to grab the expansion content. I'm the worst kind of idiot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

drat you for telling me about that Asterix/Caesar game, my son is super into Asterix and if it’s any good I would have got it, but looks Tricky. It’s that good you think it’s gonna be grailworthy to some?

Grail games don't have to be good, just hard to find. I'm fairly sure that Nessie Hunt isn't a great game - although it does have some interesting design decisions that wouldn't show up in the mainstream until decades later - but it only had a single print run and every copy has been sold. If Caesar's Empire becomes a grail game it will be because of the theme, the comic-art styled Roman legion figures, and because it's suitable for kids who love the theme but is still a game adults can enjoy.

Anywho, Caesar's Empire is a very solid game. The premise is that you are one of five prominent Roman citizens from the albums who are seeking Caesar's favour, and he has tasked you with using the legions to build roads to every part of the Empire to see who can bring the most wealth back to Rome in the most efficient way. The mechanics are super simple: each turn you connect a city to Rome, then every legion along the shortest route back to Rome scores 1 point for its owner. The goods go to a grid on your player board, where you're trying to collect both sets and variety for points. The exception is sesterces - when you collect these they go to a separate score track on your board, and every legion scores double. The game ends once every city is connected to Rome, which is 10 turns in a 3 or 4 player game. It takes maybe 30-40 minutes to play.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Blamestorm posted:

Ah yes forgot about Dogs of War! I want that. Something about the possible reprint had me concerned - maybe it was getting rethemed? Might just be thinking of Ethnos (which IMO is a great game that would benefit from a retheme, but not the one it’s getting).

I need to call up Green Dragon in Charleston SC, they had a copy last time I checked.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Azran posted:

Legit never expected to see someone mention Imperios Milenarios here lol every now and then you see a used copy in local markets, the market / audience just wasn't there for the game back when it came out so there are relatively few copies around. Will keep an eye out for a copy if I ever see one in case your deal falls through or w/e

You'd make me really happy if you ever saw a copy that wasn't $515 goddamn US dollars.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
lol will keep an eye out and send you a PM if I get my hands on a copy

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Caught up on the Quackalope poo poo, and it feels like "How to Destroy a Channel 101" type poo poo.

When one of the worlds current top game designers twists the knife, you know poo poo is bad :laffo:

---------------------

re:Grail games.

Hoping the current Lords of Vegas reprint actually makes it to printers this time. It's one of the final games I really 'need' to have in my collection to round it out.
I didn't back, primarily due to not trusting Lone Shark Games campaign, but if it does I know I can probably easily pick it up at retail.

Fingers crossed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I'm partial to the Monster Hunter World game, but that's because I'm a huge mark for Monster Hunter. Some of the fights feel a little bit samey, but I do enjoy the variety in weapons and the way that combat is structured and has relatively limited randomness in the game.

Any idea where to buy this? I've been hunting around and it doesn't seem to be retail yet?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think they are still shipping out the KS rewards: I got mine a few months back. Not sure for retail.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Quackalope's response
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgxJT0vGrak

Legit might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious videos I've ever seen. Wearing the yarmulke was a nice touch. Massive sociopath energy here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Legit might be one of the most unintentionally hilarious videos I've ever seen. Wearing the yarmulke was a nice touch. Massive sociopath energy here.

Maybe let's not disparage his religion, even if he is a fuckhead

From the WORLDS WORST GAME vid

quote:

As some of you know I am out of the country at the moment (in Israel studying in a Yeshiva). I just got back online from Shabbat and I am doing my best to engage / respond with the limited equipment I have on hand (One IPad). I fly home in a week and Shira and I get married in a week and half.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Per Days of Wonder Instagram, new version of Rickey to Ride announcing tomorrow from Alan Moon, Matt Leacock, and Rob Daviau.

Hmm.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Maybe let's not disparage his religion, even if he is a fuckhead

From the WORLDS WORST GAME vid

I didn't mean to disparage it in general if that's how I came across. I meant from the perspective that he's clearly trying to milk his trip and conversion in his favor in the video. He gives like a half hour non apology and then somberly looks into the camera and says "It's all in HaShem's hands now"

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 23, 2023

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

CitizenKeen posted:

Per Days of Wonder Instagram, new version of Rickey to Ride announcing tomorrow from Alan Moon, Matt Leacock, and Rob Daviau.

Hmm.

I need Matt and Rob to finish developing Pandemic Season 3 first. :colbert:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Classic YouTube apology, perfectly by the numbers:

Big sigh

I've tried making this video many times

My personal life is going through a big event

I did nothing wrong

I'm the victim in all of this

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Bottom Liner posted:

Classic YouTube apology, perfectly by the numbers:

Big sigh

I've tried making this video many times

My personal life is going through a big event

I did nothing wrong

I'm the victim in all of this

I wrote some notes down but this is unscripted/"from the heart"

30 minutes long

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
*pets dog that very clearly is trying not to be in frame* buddy, i've got to make an apology video now. be strong.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

I didn't mean to disparage it in general if that's how I came across. I meant from the perspective that he's clearly trying to milk his trip and conversion in his favor in the video. He gives like a half hour non apology and then somberly looks into the camera and says "It's all in HaShem's hands now"

Nah yeah all good mate

Don't think anyone has the time for a 30min rambling apology. Guessing reddit/bgg will give a cliff notes of it soon

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Nah yeah all good mate

Don't think anyone has the time for a 30min rambling apology. Guessing reddit/bgg will give a cliff notes of it soon

I put it on in the background for a while. The TLDR; seems to be that he had a long back and forth with the publisher about working together and blah blah and both sides were happy about it, but he already had this content shot from before they replied to his initial email to them. He claims that he wasn't trying to blackmail them but it was more like "Hey we don't have time right now to redo all this, in part because I'm leaving to go to Israel and get married and stuff." He also claims that the "Pay me to not publish this" was more like "Pay me to reshoot this video I put ~40 hours of work into, because you can explain all the fiddly bits that we didn't understand when we were shooting this."

Is it legit? I have no idea. I suppose he could release his email communications with them that led up to the point that looks like a blackmail attempt or something if he really wants to. But basically he's trying to say that this was the end of a lengthy back and forth which was taken out of context, and that he didn't mean it as a blackmail attempt.

Personally I think the guy really just isn't very bright, as I implied when I posted his Illiterati review earlier in the thread. I don't watch much of his content and don't particularly care if his channel folds as a result of all of this though, so take my thoughts for whatever they're worth with that caveat.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's still blackmail whether he thinks so or not lmao. Maybe don't pre-shoot material before you close a deal on it next time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

SettingSun posted:

That's still blackmail whether he thinks so or not lmao. Maybe don't pre-shoot material before you close a deal on it next time.

Yeah I mean the dude puts the EEP in Meeple, no argument there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The company already released the emails last week.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
One of the risks of doing spec work is that your labor might go unpaid. Doing spec work with the hope that you will monetize it through blackmail is still blackmail.

Edit: I guess extortion is probably the better descriptor here.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 23, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Quack Guy: "Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer 'extortion'. The 'X' makes it sound cool."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Worst case is blackmail. Best case is unintentional blackmail. Seems pretty clear to me.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Blamestorm posted:

A page behind but on Glory to Rome / innovation, I think they many years ago used to enjoy a better reputation as there were far fewer good games in that space. Glory to Rome was a grail game for a while (before the reprint) as the top tier of fairly fast playing tech-y card games was really it and Race for the Galaxy, at least as far as reputations on BGG go for small packages with a lot of gameplay.

But over the last decade there has been a massive explosion in great, meaty card games at all playtimes, levels of complexity and interaction. RFTG has held up but I think not Glory of Rome or Innovation. There are so many interesting card based games of every variety now, nothing like 10-15 years ago. This has happened across a range of genres I think. My personal theory is that the main genre of classics that have really held up against newer contenders have been highly interactive euros like the Knizia auction and tile layers, Hansa Teutonica, etc, mostly because the euro market tilted heavily into worker placement and less confrontational stuff from Princes of Florence on, until we started getting a lot of high profile/crowd sourced reprints. I think there are more recent exceptions like Concordia, Beyond the Sun, Ankh, Keyflower but also I feel that’s the area for card games which has seen a lot of improvement.

This is my take as well. I got rid of my Chudyk games - Mottanai, GTR, and innovation - after import/export due to the more satisfying gameplay loop and economy. I/E can def be improved especially with the economy and bidding, as it's mostly bidding cheap and it's pretty obvious who is going for what since you only have 1 main ship. But it still does things well with alternative actions for the economy like pirating and shipping to the island (whatever that's called). I/E has wacky effects but they're less important than the main gameplay loop.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
import export is great but its a shame that the designer is a creep

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

armorer posted:

I put it on in the background for a while. The TLDR; seems to be that he had a long back and forth with the publisher about working together and blah blah and both sides were happy about it, but he already had this content shot from before they replied to his initial email to them. He claims that he wasn't trying to blackmail them but it was more like "Hey we don't have time right now to redo all this, in part because I'm leaving to go to Israel and get married and stuff." He also claims that the "Pay me to not publish this" was more like "Pay me to reshoot this video I put ~40 hours of work into, because you can explain all the fiddly bits that we didn't understand when we were shooting this."

Is it legit? I have no idea. I suppose he could release his email communications with them that led up to the point that looks like a blackmail attempt or something if he really wants to. But basically he's trying to say that this was the end of a lengthy back and forth which was taken out of context, and that he didn't mean it as a blackmail attempt.

Personally I think the guy really just isn't very bright, as I implied when I posted his Illiterati review earlier in the thread. I don't watch much of his content and don't particularly care if his channel folds as a result of all of this though, so take my thoughts for whatever they're worth with that caveat.

he's pretty dumb and actually doesn't like or play board games that often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Even if we give the benefit of the doubt and say it's not extortion, "I've formed a shitload of possibly incorrect opinions through misunderstanding" should be the bar you clear before publishing something just because that's part of the job, not something that you only remedy if someone pays you for your time.