Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I mean, Kiana is 17 and is introduced rear end first wearing a skin tight bodysuit with cleavage, Mei starts off wearing Battle Lingerie, Theresa and Bronya have multiple early battlesuits that are also skin tight bodysuits clearly intended to be sexy while they have child bodies, like half of Seele's outfits come with constant panty shots with all of her attacks, Ai-Chan says "You can't see their panties no matter how hard you try" on the character preview screen, and after it calms down a bit it later decides that nearly every grown woman needs giant gravity defying breasts, Timido is supposed to be shy and is wearing a ridiculous sexy leotard, and Aponia makes Rosaria look like an actual non-stripper nun by comparison. I wouldn't think "horny niche otaku game is horny" would reflect poorly on their later more mainstream stuff, but I could see that stuff being very off putting if you don't have a lot of tolerance for horny anime stuff, and it certainly makes the game harder to recommend to women I know.
(Also wait wtf why do I have the early game stuff off the top of my head???)

Anyways, I'd say HI3 is less "relies on you having seen/played previous stuff" and more "relies on you having the ability to say 'yeah that makes sense, I don't need more detail' to follow along," especially since so much of the previous stuff is untranslated and even more niche than HI3. I'd also say the extra stuff is fine, better than Genshin's extra stuff besides exploration, but the story is definitely the highlight and with all the other gacha game elements being so unnecessary to it, you should definitely focus on the story first and decide if you care about the rest later.

Well that and APHO, APHO is loving awesome even if Kiana's Dad is a much better Dante Clone than Main Character is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They said Star Rail, no need to bust out the encyclopedia of HI's crimes.

youngweeed
Jun 22, 2022
sorry if a controversial observation but Honkai Impact is a schoolgirls anime game. at least Bayonetta is an adult. i didnt do my research on gacha or mihoyo just knew Star Rail was a free to play space rpg with a budget by the genshin impact guys. now im here. i guess i am not assimilated to your culture.

i like how they can do whole sequels in one app, the dmc part was also cool. sucks for storage.

e:

haypliss posted:

yeah but that poster brings up why it somewhat taints my impression of Star Rail. its a retrospect thing. there were borderline moments in Star Rail like that too. theyre toned down “just enough” that they got me. im still not uninstalled and probs wouldnt actively deny playing either lol just my way of warning as a “soft recommend” for others considering jumping in a similar boat

youngweeed fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 23, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot imagine anyone willing to play an anime gacha game that would be remotely offended by anything in star rail.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

haypliss posted:

They said HI3's stuff made Star Rail creepy to them.

Which, I mean, I get finding HI3 creepy enough that the bafflement on that is weird to me, I just don't think it really reflects much on their later more mainstream stuff than Star Rail.

Also I don't know why I had that off the top of my head when most of that ranges from guilty pleasure to eye roll for me, except that I remember seeing the opening cutscene on one of the concerts and going "wtf I forgot that was Kiana's intro."

In more on topic Star Rail stuff, is World 6 and difficulty 2 on older stuff a big difficulty jump for everyone else? Failed it again and again with level 60s, and wow you do not get a lot of points for failure.

Did not expect to hit Elysian Realm style "replaying a difficulty I've already cleared for the weekly points" so early. :negative:

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Ah, my reading comprehension. Sorry about that.

Fair enough to the OP though, I do look askance at Star Rail characters like Bailu and Clara with what I've grown to know about Mihoyo via Genshin. Though the main game has been pretty tame contrasted with the wider world of games/anime you can bump into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain France posted:

it later decides that nearly every grown woman needs giant gravity defying breasts
this is what feminism is, yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

schoolgirl anime are also feminist. thats just how the world works.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/honkaistarrail/status/1660858094451081217?s=20

so does this mean blade is first in 1.2 then, or

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Most of that is impressively edgy but I am not sure what 'abandoned his body' was supposed to mean unless he is literally the sword.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

genshin's posted some stuff out of order of the banner order, i wouldnt try to read the tea leaves too hard

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Hellioning posted:

Most of that is impressively edgy but I am not sure what 'abandoned his body' was supposed to mean unless he is literally the sword.

On the one hand this would be very silly, on the other hand there is precedent for it...

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Oh no it's legit curiosity because I just got lion guy and I was probably gonna save for Kafka (have Bailu so don't care about Luocha, not interested in silver wolf) so him being before her is all upside for me :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

For some reason I thought he was Hunt not Destruction lol

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
That would be rude to both him and Dan Heng. His mechanics are definitely typical Destruction though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

haypliss posted:

That would be rude to both him and Dan Heng. His mechanics are definitely typical Destruction though.

I figured that they would do enough to make sure that the two have distinct playstyles like March vs Gepard who are both Ice Preservation, but I guess my thoughts are moot anyway.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Hellioning posted:

the japanese tweet said something like "with no concern for his own body" iirc

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

this is what feminism is, yeah

Endorph posted:

schoolgirl anime are also feminist. thats just how the world works.

:hmmyes: HI3 is also incredibly gay, and Kiana and Mei's relationship, and thus all the other gay ones that show up, feels really genuine. It's not just titillation because the only titillation they can do is in outfit designs. And gay women also fine women attractive. Like Kiana and Mei's relationship is central to the plot and remains important the entire 5+ year run. "This is a story that began with love and it will end with love." It has it's share of skeevy stuff because it is more niche, but it also uses it's niche status to be gayer than Genshin or Star Rail.

Also if you're going to ask me if there's anything I dislike it's the insistence on heels for everyone, and it's not like Genshin is any better on that front.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Jing Yuan's summon benefit from Tingyun's buff (either from her Skill or Ultimate)?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Blade is Destruction, huh? And a source of wind damage? poo poo, I'm probably gonna have to pull for him, I have a level 2 Something Irreplaceable and nothing to use it

Ytlaya posted:

Does Jing Yuan's summon benefit from Tingyun's buff (either from her Skill or Ultimate)?
It does a percentage of Jing's attack, so presumably

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I liked this character better when Nana Mizuki played her in Symphogear.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

I figured that they would do enough to make sure that the two have distinct playstyles like March vs Gepard who are both Ice Preservation, but I guess my thoughts are moot anyway.

Mostly just meant as a bit about how they are being positioned in conflict (Dan Heng's nightmare, the Destruction LC from BP etc). Though (unreleased story/content) 5* Dan Heng then being a Destruction character also makes the idea funny.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Hellioning posted:

He is the bone of his sword

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

GateOfD posted:

He is the bone of his sword

We already have Illya and Berserker, so may as well get Archer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eimi posted:

We already have Illya and Berserker, so may as well get Archer.
No that's March 7th

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

JT Jag posted:

No that's March 7th

But she has a bow, she's clearly not an archer. Everyone knows archers never use bows.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

it benefits from both yes. That said the lightning lord's damage per hit is 70% of Jing Yuan's attack (at max). So the benefit Jing Yuan is getting from Tingyun's buffs varies based on how many hits the Lightning Lord is doing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Went with the all fire meme team for this one (MC, Asta, Hook, Trial Himeko), and it kinda sucked because while they can easily break things, they don't really have enough actual damage to follow up on it on the boss. Well, my Hook is level 20 and unequipped so that's probably why, but still! Also they had literally no way to deal with the hands because they didn't get the debuff from the start of battle. Anyway, I got 9 turns and had to redo it without Hook.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I keep reading Tingyun as Tinygun

and all I know about HI3 is it starts with the main character kickflipping onto a fighter jet to catch a ride which made it seem pretty rad all other aspects aside

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gnome de plume posted:

I keep reading Tingyun as Tinygun

and all I know about HI3 is it starts with the main character kickflipping onto a fighter jet to catch a ride which made it seem pretty rad all other aspects aside

Kiana is extremely lesbian, her flirtations with Mei are about as subtle as a brick to the face. Ditto with the relationship between Bronya and Seele, which is explicitly romantic and they share a kiss in the manga.

Genshin and Star Rail are much more subtle in comparison.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's like, four het relationships in HI3 (K-423's parents, Welt and Tesla, Kevin and Dr MEI, uh..one more I'm forgetting totally) and despite his best efforts none of them involve Otto Apocalypse

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's like, four het relationships in HI3 (K-423's parents, Welt and Tesla, Kevin and Dr MEI, uh..one more I'm forgetting totally) and despite his best efforts none of them involve Otto Apocalypse

That reminds me, Welt has a wife and kids right? Since Star Rail Welt is the same Welt as Honkai 3's Welt, they must be miserable without their dad around as he gallivants around the galaxy with some weirdos on a space train. They're gonna be so mad at him when he gets back to Earth.

boredsatellite posted:

the event being a taste of what you could do with silver wolf is funny

getting the quantum weakness on mobs while having seele was funny

Yeah I'm predicting Silver Wolf, Bronya, Seele and a Healer like Natasha would end up being a super broken combination. Maybe not terribly survivable but definitely a strong glass cannon combination.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 23, 2023

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

the event being a taste of what you could do with silver wolf is funny

getting the quantum weakness on mobs while having seele was funny

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

homeless snail posted:

No matter how high your stats are can't make up for a bad personality. And thats why Sampo is on the bottom of my tier list.

I didn't like Sampo when we first met him but he definitely proved himself later and the voice acting work is excellent.

Loveable rogue who's good with kids and heart of gold. Plus the amount of times he drags you off to the medical clinic is quite something.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sampo's funny.

Anyway this event was kinda free? Lower difficulty than most content in the game although I guess maybe it doesn't scale with equilibrium like most other stuff does. Hope its not the only event for this half of the banner.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It probably will be the only event until 1.1 in a couple weeks.

I'm not surprised the event was tuned to be relatively easy. It's the first event ever and the game is still receiving tons of new players who haven't been playing since day 1 who would be put off if the limited time event completely stonewalled them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I just noticed that Kafka's character model is a bit different when she's captured at the Luofu. Specifically, her eyes are different and her complexion is paler being able to see her without her makeup on or wearing contact lenses.

That's really neat attention to detail, most games wouldn't have thought of that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm not going to complain about the opportunity to get free jade being too easy, but I'm definitely looking forward to more frequent/more involved events in future patches.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I'm not going to complain about the opportunity to get free jade being too easy, but I'm definitely looking forward to more frequent/more involved events in future patches.

Yeah this is how I'm looking at it myself. I hope we get some pretty involved events like the first summer one for Genshin which involved an entire map and stuff, that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Blade is so lame and edgey that he wraps back around to being awesome

I'm sold honestly