Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
I know it's not true and very flippant, but I can't shake the picture of the Free Russia Legion crossing the border totally Mad Max/California Love style and then see what poo poo they can stir up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

CainFortea posted:

I mean, I could see Sabaton doing something about it.

quote:

The band performed at a show organized by Putin loyalist motorcycle club Night Wolves in Russian occupied Crimea in 2015, and bassist Sundström stated in an interview with Sweden Rock Magazine in 2016 that Crimea had previously been occupied by Ukraine.

I could see that too, but perhaps not how you imagine.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

ah no not loving Sabaton

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

the holy poopacy posted:

Internet VFW › Iron Maidan

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Autisanal Cheese posted:

ah no not loving Sabaton

I mean Sabaton is real big into strongman poo poo, i mean they wank off about strong militaries, and Russia is huge into projecting the idea of a strong military, so... its not as far fetched as one would think

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just find the notion of a band singing about World War I and World War II too cheesey, even by power metal standards.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
https://twitter.com/urban_meadows/status/1660787151783489536?s=20

Dude remembers what its like to have the imagination of a 12 year old (I say that in a completely positive manner)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

psydude posted:

I just find the notion of a band singing about World War I and World War II too cheesey, even by power metal standards.

Yeah, that's clearly more the territory of death metal.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

https://twitter.com/urban_meadows/status/1660787151783489536?s=20

Dude remembers what its like to have the imagination of a 12 year old (I say that in a completely positive manner)

Most 12 year olds i knew didnt put nazi symbols all over their stuff

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

It's a shame their songs are so drat catchy because holy gently caress everything about them is problematic in at least half a dozen different ways. IIRC they've got at least one song pushing the "clean Wehrmacht" narrative.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And another one about the horrors of Auswich, IIRC, so it's a mixed bag.

Generally, their project seems to be "war has always sucked, especially when you're just a random guy in the army".

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Computer viking posted:

And another one about the horrors of Auswich, IIRC, so it's a mixed bag.

Generally, their project seems to be "war has always sucked, especially when you're just a random guy in the army".
Sabaton is all about fetishizing war and "heroism".

And also

quote:

The band performed at a show organized by Putin loyalist motorcycle club Night Wolves in Russian occupied Crimea in 2015, and bassist Sundström stated in an interview with Sweden Rock Magazine in 2016 that Crimea had previously been occupied by Ukraine.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Perfect :lol:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Herman Merman posted:

Sabaton is all about fetishizing war and "heroism".

And also

Eeeh, there's an element of "who will even remember me when I die alone here for some cause I don't understand". Mixed with a hefty amount of "unbelievable but true war stories for teens", sure.

But yeah the crimea thing is bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antigravitas posted:

Yeah, that's clearly more the territory of death metal.

I believe you meant

BOLT THROWER

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KozmoNaut posted:

I believe you meant

BOLT THROWER

BOLT THROWER

Also Minenfeld :v:

https://youtu.be/ALbqRK7THro

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stravag posted:

Most 12 year olds i knew didnt put nazi symbols all over their stuff

But some definitely do.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao

meanwhile in tankieville they are mad that james hetfield went to ukraine

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From the GBS thread:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

From the GBS thread:

Putting the image macro on, but leaving it all nazi symbols on the uniforms, 2/10.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

mlmp08 posted:

Putting the image macro on, but leaving it all nazi symbols on the uniforms, 2/10.

I'm unsurprised. For whatever reason some people just don't bat an eye at that in actual photos.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/russianforces/status/1660997259285209088

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That certainly puts the choice of location into a more interesting light. And might explain the destruction of the bridge at Graivoron.

I don't think Ukraine's going for the nukes (doesn't really help them strategically), but Russia cannot ignore that. As it was, a prominent incursion into their territory was already something they would have to respond to from a PR perspective, but in close proximity to a nuke magazine? They can't ignore that even if they want to.
As far as diversionary thrusts go that's kind of brilliant.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That certainly puts the choice of location into a more interesting light. And might explain the destruction of the bridge at Graivoron.

I don't think Ukraine's going for the nukes (doesn't really help them strategically), but Russia cannot ignore that. As it was, a prominent incursion into their territory was already something they would have to respond to from a PR perspective, but in close proximity to a nuke magazine? They can't ignore that even if they want to.
As far as diversionary thrusts go that's kind of brilliant.

Maybe I've glossed over it but is there any proof or indication that Ukraine is involved in this at all?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
From what I've read the unit that crossed over were, at the very least, using their gear/vehicles. It doesn't seem plausible to think this is anything other than an arms-length operation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I don't think anyone is meaningfully questioning whether Ukraine is involved. Nor is Ukraine acting like it is uninvolved, albeit they're to some extent hiding behind the fig leaf of 'well technically it's russian nationals doing this' but also you've got bydanov out there shitposting about 'citizens of belgorod, please do not photograph or post about the movement of Ukrainian forces or equipment' so it's not really a secret, either. Ironically it seems to be pretty much exactly what it looks like: Ukraine affiliated Russian groups taking some minimally guarded territory in Russia to cause a maximum of chaos and a big spectacle on telegram for both sides, discredit Putin's regime and to force Russian resources away from the front and to the border in general and an additional bunch of forces to belgorod oblast specifically.

as an aside, russian nationalists have been screeching about the inevitability of something like this happening for months now

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 23, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
there's also a comedy option of what this turns into if Russia under-responds

Janky The Clown
Jan 13, 2015

RoyKeen posted:

Maybe I've glossed over it but is there any proof or indication that Ukraine is involved in this at all?

The narrative is that these are Russian's attacking Russian's. There has been photos of Russian passports that are supposed to be from the members of the group that made the incursion. The attack came from Ukrainian territory, with a mix of equipment from unknown origin.

If Ukraine is involved, it's in a plausibly deniable way. They have also gone to great lengths to plausibly deny.

So, no there is no proof or indication that Ukraine is involved.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's also a comedy option of what this turns into if Russia under-responds

Girkin will become elected leader of the breakaway republic. He will server his term having never entered the country.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Janky The Clown posted:

So, no there is no proof or indication that Ukraine is involved.

the people who've shown up on videos have been identified as being with Russian Volunteer Corps by bellingcat, and they're supplied at best/controlled at worst by HUR (Ukraine military intelligence). here's a writeup on alexei levikin, the guy with the epic beard in one of the videos (who's a REAL big ol' nazi)

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1660772959621873664

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/09/04/the-hardcore-russian-neo-nazi-group-that-calls-ukraine-home/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lol no but his cassandra complex might swell to terminal proportions

Some shitposty foreshadowing from 5 days ago,
https://www.businessinsider.com/ukraine-wants-60-mile-demilitarized-zone-russia-border-intel-chief-2023-5

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
as a bonus, the usual tankie suspects aren't pointing out that literal nazis are being supported by ukraine in invading russia because that would mean they'd have to credit bellingcat, who they constantly dismiss as a "CIA front"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Of course it's a Ukrainian-run operation. They're denying it while winking just like they have with every other attack they've done on Russian soil.

More to the point: does it really matter if it is? What's Russia going to do, invade them more?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Bellingcat poisoned the narrative by posting it!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Using Ukrainian equipment means little in that region, I would imagine- so much has been captured by both sides, I imagine that's part of the 'fun'.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Long article by The New Yorker about the fighting on the ground/in the trenches. Bypasses the paywall (is posting those against the rules?)

https://archive.ph/yUtre

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bulletsponge13 posted:

Using Ukrainian equipment means little in that region, I would imagine- so much has been captured by both sides, I imagine that's part of the 'fun'.

Well, if they are truly independent of Ukraine we should probably all be hoping the Russians kill them before they can get to Belgorod-22.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

I just translated this for the GBS thread, but thought you might find it interesting as well!
Yle released an article about Russians fighting on Ukraine's side of the war in March. I had planned to translate it earlier, but it fell aside for some reason. Now it is more topical than ever!

Disclaimer as usual that this is a news article, and as such while itself does not contain any shocking footage or imagery, the links that can be found therein may contain such material. Viewer discretion is advised if you are sensitive to such. I will point out that there are several links to further articles and interviews within the article if you are interested in reading deeper into the topic.

Author: Justas Stasevskij
Release date: 14.03.23
Link to untranslated article: https://yle.fi/a/74-20022143

quote:

A number of Russians are fighting their own countrymen alongside Ukraine - researcher: "It is likely that their number will increase"

There are two groups in Ukraine whose fighters are made up of Russians and who fight alongside the Ukrainians.

Description of video contents: The Freedom for Russia legion fights for Ukraine. Two soldiers can be seen walking along a forested path in what may be a park. The legion's goal is to topple the current Russia regime. Aleksei is being interviewed, and says that he fights alongside Ukrainian soldiers. They treat him with respect, and he returns the same to them. They are all doing the same work: fighting against evil. A map of the border area is shown, and a text scroll explains that a group know as "The Russian Volunteer Troops", had infiltrated the Russian side of the border in early March. The reason for their strike was to inspire resistance within Russia. An video clip of four armed civilians in masks is then shown, tagged as taken in Crimea. The text scroll mentions that Russian resistance members are also active there. The leader of the group, known as Atesh, says that they are preparing to liberate Crimea from Russian control. They also send their greetings and respects to the members of Russian Volunteer Troops, who they then call awesome and that they await them in Dzankoi and Crimea. Next an interview with Freedom to Russia legion-member Caesar, who explains that only one percent of the population took part in the revolution a hundred years ago, and that if 1.5 million citizens would now take up arms against Putin, then his regime would fall.

A mysterious group became famous at the beginning of March, when an armed group of 45 men from Ukraine invaded Russia.

Russia claimed that the group shot a car and took hostages in the Bryansk region.

However, all that is known about the event is that the group filmed a couple of videos in the locality.

Whatever happened in Bryansk, it was all quite humiliating for Russia. Russia even named last Thursday's massive missile strike on Ukraine as revenge for the incident.

Putin blamed Ukrainian "neo-Nazis and terrorists" for the invasion of Bryansk. However, the videos shot on the spot show that it was the Russian volunteer corps RDK (Russkiy dobrovol'cheskiy korpus).

So the intruders were Russians. Russians who are ready to kill their countrymen and who seek to overthrow Putin.

In this story, we present two groups of Russians fighting on the side of Ukraine.

Russian Volunteer Corps, RDK

RDK organized into its own group in August 2022. It is unclear whether it is officially part of the Ukrainian armed forces. The group itself states that it belongs to the International Legion, which is part of the Territorial Defense Forces of Ukraine.

According to various estimates, RDK has around a couple of hundred members. They are united by extreme nationalism. It is known that most of them lived in Ukraine already before February 2022. Some fought in Ukraine already in 2014.

Denis Nikitin, a well-known far-righter, acts as the face and leader of the group.

One of the members says in a video that the members of the group consider themselves "ardently nationalist".

The group has a background organization organized in Warsaw, which helps to recruit more people to the group.

Although the leader of RDK is a well-known extreme right-winger, according to researcher Igor Gretskiy, the group cannot be considered extreme-right.

- Yes, their leader has an extreme right-wing background. However, the support group in Poland does not consider itself as far-right, but above all as nationalist. They stand against Putin's imperialism, Gretskyi tells Yle.

Gretskiy works as a researcher at the Estonian Foreign Policy Institute and is familiar with Russian fighters in Ukraine.

Gretskiy states about the group's attack in Russia last week that it was not significant in a military sense.

- However, the operation sent a clear message that Russia's borders are not secured and that Russia is unable to hold back even a few dozen men capable of operating inside Russia, says Gretskiy.

The group published the attached video in the Bryansk region. In the video, the organization urges Russians to take up armed resistance.

The Twitter link has not been attached to this translation as I can't be sure of what may turn up in the replies. The link is available in the original untranslated article.

Freedom to Russia Legion

The largest of the Russian forces operating in Ukraine is the "Legion Svoboda Rossii" or the Legion of Freedom for Russia. It was founded a year ago, i.e. in March 2022. The group primarily consists of former Russian army soldiers and prisoners of war who have switched sides.

There are other stories from the background of the members. Legion made headlines for a while last summer, when Igor Volobujev, deputy CEO of Gazprom Bank, said he had joined Legion.

The emblem of the legion is a blue and white flag. The Legion has replaced the red stripe of the Russian flag with a white one. According to the legionnaires, the red stripe represents blood and violence. The same flag is used by the Russian opposition on a wider scale.

The Legion is officially part of the Armed Forces of Ukraine and fights as part of the International Legion. The number of its soldiers is unknown, but the legionnaires have talked about at least two battalions in interviews.

A battalion can be anything between 400 and 1000 soldiers. Some estimates have spoken of up to 4,000 soldiers.

According to Igor Gretskiy of the Estonian Foreign Policy Institute, the biggest figure may well be true.

- A significant number of Russians have been imprisoned, and new ones are constantly being added. They are a regular source of recruits for the Legion. It is quite likely that their number will increase.

Members of the Freedom to Russia forces have fought on the front of Eastern Ukraine as part of the International Legion in the worst warzones, such as Bakhmut.

In an interview with The New York Times, a Russian soldier using the name Caesar has told that he killed many of his compatriots in Ukraine without remorse. He is one of the few Legionnaires who appeared in public with his own face.

According to the Legionnaires, they are primarily fighting for Russia.

So they are not only fighting for Ukraine, but they feel that they are fighting for a free Russia. Their first step is to beat the Russian army in Ukraine. After that, the fight would continue in Russia.

- If Ukraine gets its 1991 borders restored and the groups are capable of fighting at that point, they could continue fighting on the Russian side, says researcher Gretskiy.

The groups have been declared terrorist organizations in Russia

Russian media hardly talk about these groups. The Russian Prosecutor's Office has declared the groups as Ukrainian terrorist organizations.

- The Russian state does not want to let the information spread in the media and admit that the Russians could challenge the Russian government. They don't even want to acknowledge the idea that the Russians could take up arms and start a war against Russia's political power, says Gretskiy.

The Russian security service FSB considers the Freedom to Russia Legion to be a particular threat, so new members must pass a strict screening.

Andriy Yusov, a spokesman for the Ukrainian intelligence service, has said that the FSB has tried to infiltrate the legion several times. Caesar, a member of the group, has also commented on the issue.

- Putin and his administration are very afraid of the Freedom to Russia legion, because we are the first to put up an armed resistance to Putin's junta, says Caeser in the video.

In addition to the two groups operating in Ukraine, there is also a third group fighting against the current Russian regime. The Natsional'naya respublikanskaya armiya (NRA), i.e. the National Republican Army, has taken the name of attacks in Russia. It is an even more obscure organization than the groups mentioned above, and it operates in Russia, unlike the legion and the DRK.

It also uses a blue and white flag as its emblem.

- We have heard about them with the blow that killed Daria Dugina, but there is not much evidence of their existence, says Gretskyi.

Daria Dugina was the daughter of a Russian ultra-nationalist philosopher who died in a car bomb attack in Moscow in August 2022. The NRA has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Former Russian Duma representative Ilya Ponomarjov has appeared as the group's representative in Ukraine. He has tried to strengthen the cooperation of the three groups.

At the end of August, the groups held a joint press conference in Irpin, Ukraine, where they signed the "Irpin declaration". It agreed on joint strategic goals and, among other things, the use of the blue and white flag.

However, the Russian volunteer group DRK terminated the cooperation soon after this.

Combat units and propaganda tools

According to researcher Gretskiy, the groups act in two ways: as combat units and as a propaganda tool.

- They can serve both purposes. The battalions can serve as role models for the Russians on how to fight against Putin's regime.

Both groups are active on social media and post impressive videos.

- RDK wants to get attention. It wants to spark resistance in Russia. The wider the information about the attacks spreads, the more people might want to join them, says Gretskiy.

The researcher points out that a few hundred men is quite a small number of soldiers if you consider that more than half a million Russians fled Russia due to mobilization. RDK wanted to recruit men from those who had just escaped, but was disappointed.

- They certainly thought they would get more men in their ranks from those who left Russia. However, those fleeing the mobilization were not willing to fight against Russia, says Gretskiy.

For Ukraine, the significance of the Russians fighting on its side is mostly political.

- It is good for Ukraine to show that there are Russians who support democracy and freedom and fight on the right side, Ukrainian military analyst Oleg Ždanov told the AFP news agency.

Gretskiy points out that Russian groups fighting on the side of Ukraine criticize the Russian opposition because its representatives have not called on the Russians to engage in armed resistance.

- If you think about Russia's opposition abroad, none of them has called on the Russians to take up arms and fight. Khodorkovsky, Gasparov, Navalny's group - they are only fighting in the information field, holding conferences and broadcasts on YouTube, says Gretskiy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well, if they are truly independent of Ukraine we should probably all be hoping the Russians kill them before they can get to Belgorod-22.

Clancy.txt Call of Duty-plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

psydude posted:

Of course it's a Ukrainian-run operation. They're denying it while winking just like they have with every other attack they've done on Russian soil.

More to the point: does it really matter if it is? What's Russia going to do, invade them more?

It's mostly winking at what Russia was doing in Donbass in 2014 and 2015, which despite being similarly transparent was enough for the big Western governments to pretend not to see it, and for the BBCs of the world to consider the possibility credible --- after all, if Putin says Russia is not involved, it's an official statement and a "side" that must be covered, never mind the T72B3 that apparently arose by immaculate conception.