Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I would skip the Nissan then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Pretty odd to exclude BMW and Audi when shopping for a sports sedan if you ask me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

knox_harrington posted:

Pretty odd to exclude BMW and Audi when shopping for a sports sedan if you ask me

BMW is purely because of taste. I just don't want one.

I would very much like an Audi. But at that price range, it's either an A3/S3 (too small), or an A4, which is disappointingly less car for the same price from what I've seen. A base S4 (which, I imagine good luck finding) starts at the very tippy-top of what I can pay.

Also, if I buy an Audi, it becomes my wife's car. That was pretty much settled in my marriage about 10 years ago.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

BMW is purely because of taste. I just don't want one.

I very much felt this way too until a BMW happened to be the only car that checked all my boxes and welp.

I'm not saying you have to get something you don't like but maybe test drive one just to have a baseline to compare to. As much as I hate to admit it, BMW and Porsche are basically the benchmarks for "sports car under $100k" and your budget isn't in Porsche territory.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Not bad advice at all. It's how I ended up with a 2018 Accord, when I was dead set on the Subaru.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

I very much felt this way too until a BMW happened to be the only car that checked all my boxes and welp.

I'm not saying you have to get something you don't like but maybe test drive one just to have a baseline to compare to. As much as I hate to admit it, BMW and Porsche are basically the benchmarks for "sports car under $100k" and your budget isn't in Porsche territory.

Yeah. I just looked at the BMW USA used car search and $45k is squarely in "1 year old 5-series" territory. To me that compares well to whatever Volvo or Kia is being cross-shopped.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Genesis, S60, or IS. Everything else you posted is not very good or not reliable or both.

Edit: I agree with the subsequent discussion around actually buying a good sport sedan but the three above actually have some merit compared to say a 3 series

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Genesis, S60, or IS. Everything else you posted is not very good or not reliable or both.

Edit: I agree with the subsequent discussion around actually buying a good sport sedan but the three above actually have some merit compared to say a 3 series

Yep, I would say 3 Series and A4 as well. To hell with OP’s preferences, he’s excluding vehicles that have crushed the segment pretty well for decades IMO. Unless it’s a taste thing, which…. Sometimes you have to get past that too. Check out the horrible kidney grilles for example which are a true assault on the senses.

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah. I just looked at the BMW USA used car search and $45k is squarely in "1 year old 5-series" territory. To me that compares well to whatever Volvo or Kia is being cross-shopped.

Solid agree. If I had $45k to throw around and a sedan to buy, a 1 year old 5 series that I would keep for several years would be a very hard thing to say no to. Just a good sedan with few compromises.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 23, 2023

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
If you like the Volvo S60 you should get the Volvo V60, because it's the same except a station wagon and station wagons are objectively the best kind of car. For real though I've had a V60 for a couple of years and I really like it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Inner Light posted:

Solid agree. If I had $45k to throw around and a sedan to buy, a 1 year old 5 series that I would keep for several years would be a very hard thing to say no to. Just a good sedan with few compromises.

You made me go look at pricing, that gets you into the 4cyl one, right?

The one that Car and Driver tested was $70k MSRP for a 4-cyl, which rubs me the wrong way: https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series-2023

Also it's upsetting to me that there is now price overlap between 5 Series and Chrysler Minivan new MSRPs.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Twerk from Home posted:

You made me go look at pricing, that gets you into the 4cyl one, right?

The one that Car and Driver tested was $70k MSRP for a 4-cyl, which rubs me the wrong way: https://www.caranddriver.com/bmw/5-series-2023

Also it's upsetting to me that there is now price overlap between 5 Series and Chrysler Minivan new MSRPs.

Yeah they’ve always been obnoxiously expensive and it’s only getting worse. They also depreciate fast which is both good and bad. You can pick up a 1-2 year old one for a good amount off MSRP, but value will continue tanking and you’ll lose huge in years 3-6 as well until it’s worth much less than half.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unless you really need the bigger car, I would get a better equipped 3 than a bare bones 5. A base 5 is not a fun car.

I have an M4 and I stick adults back there all the time. I think a 3 should be fine for most use cases honestly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Op, have you considered a used bmw 7 series?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Proposed Budget: 50k
New or Used: either
Body Style: suv or truck
How will you be using the car?: offroad, hauling stuff, driving mom.

I got 2 cars. Have an X3 that I want to replace with something more offroad capable. Also needs to do my grocery/target errand runs, and be somewhat comfortable enough to drive my mom around when she visits. My other car is a miata.

I live in northern New Mexico, and want to drive around more offroad. I don't really know what that entails though. Big tires and ground clearance probably?

First thought was a Wrangler Rubicon. I don't think this fits needs other than offroad capability though.

Then a Bronco, one of the lower trims. Availability is difficult here. Had a Ford dealership tell me $4500 adm to order one recently. Haven't bothered to check out used market.

Cherokee Trailhawk. '22 is v6, '23 is i4. Kinda seems like the '22 is the better choice. New '22s are still on lots, usually marked down.

Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. New design is '22, would look at the '21 and older. This has a v8 avail, air suspension, nicest of everything so far.

That's kinda where my rough knowledge ends. Not sure what else I should think of. Like 4runner? I don't think I want a truck but I'm open to hearing. I guess the budget is open, talk me into a defender.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

phosdex posted:

I got 2 cars. Have an X3 that I want to replace with something more offroad capable. Also needs to do my grocery/target errand runs, and be somewhat comfortable enough to drive my mom around when she visits. My other car is a miata.

I live in northern New Mexico, and want to drive around more offroad. I don't really know what that entails though. Big tires and ground clearance probably?

First thought was a Wrangler Rubicon. I don't think this fits needs other than offroad capability though.

Then a Bronco, one of the lower trims. Availability is difficult here. Had a Ford dealership tell me $4500 adm to order one recently. Haven't bothered to check out used market.

Cherokee Trailhawk. '22 is v6, '23 is i4. Kinda seems like the '22 is the better choice. New '22s are still on lots, usually marked down.

Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. New design is '22, would look at the '21 and older. This has a v8 avail, air suspension, nicest of everything so far.

That's kinda where my rough knowledge ends. Not sure what else I should think of. Like 4runner? I don't think I want a truck but I'm open to hearing. I guess the budget is open, talk me into a defender.

Buy a 30yo 4runner with lockers and send it. You don't need a 4x4 daily

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Op, have you considered a used bmw 7 series?

The nice thing about a base 7 series is that is has almost all the features of a fully loaded 5 series, plus it's got about double the interior volume and at a lower price point

Someone is going to chime in here that it's not a good car to street park in Boston tho

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
If you’re going to do actual off-roading (not just dirt roads) you might not want to buy something new to beat up. I’m in the market for a dedicated off road vehicle and have been looking at Monteros and Xterras to avoid the Toyota tax. My E150 does fine just getting us to camp spots down dirt paths, so if that’s all you need, anything with ground clearance will work.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What exactly do you want to do offroad? You're not being specific.

If you just want to take some shortcuts on fire and ranch roads you can get away with dailying any 4x4 SUV or truck you like to be in although you can access these roads with any car with clearance if you're patient enough to treat washboards and potholes correct.

If trail riding ever comes near your brain you need to be ready for it to be in your driveway with riding gear or drive shafts in strange places or a diff magically filled with play dough for weeks at a time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GD_American posted:

Curious to get some opinions on the cars I'm looking at.

Not interested in a BMW, Benz or a Caddy. Audis seem to be uncompetitive on price for their offerings.

So far looked at:

Volvo S60- loved the interior, best integrated touchscreen I've seen so far. Controls are slightly weird, but wouldn't be Swedish if it weren't quirky. Volvo's plusses are obvious, but it is seriously down on power against the competition (247hp).

Acura TLX- The Type S is available at a stretch, but I'm looking at the other trims too. I like the front of the car, but the interior is a little too similar to my wife's Accord.

Infiniti Q50- Beautiful outside, great seats. Odd lack of headroom, dash has a weird falling-away-from-you feel.

Still planning on looking at a Genesis G70 and an Alfa Romeo Giulia. Maybe a Lincoln. Haven't looked into Lexus yet.

Anybody got strong opinions, positive or negative on these cars?

Greetings fellow sports sedan enthusiast. The pickings out there are getting pretty slim since most automakers are pivoting away from sedans. I've been researching potential replacements for my SHO for a while now. Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Volvo S60 - doesn't do anything for me, and I know nothing about them. There is only 1 dealer in my very large metro area, and that's a little concerning if something goes wrong. Like you mentioned, not sporty enough power wise.

Acura TLX Type-S. I think this is a strong contender in the space. Good power, and in the right color/package very good looking.

Infiniti Q50 - I avoid Nissan products these days.

Genesis G70 - another strong contender, but the dealership experience can be lacking. Some dealers are setting up dedicated Genesis only dealers and the experience should be better, but a local Hyundai dealer of mine leaves a lot to be desired.

Alfa - I wouldn't do it.

Lincoln doesn't sell any new sedans anymore. The 2020 MKZ and Continental were the last sedans Lincoln made as Ford moved away from sedans entirely.

Lexus - The IS350 F Sport might be a contender. I'm not sure if it's big enough. You seem to be targeting midsize sedans and I think the IS350 would be classified as a compact sedan.

The germans make nice sports sedans, but the good ones are all out of your price range brand new and I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty. I wouldn't sleep on the new Caddy's though. The CT5-V (non blackwing) is a pretty nice car and I think they're dealing on them right now. I find the CT4 to be a bit small for my taste, though people who love a nice compact sedan should love it.

Personally I've been looking at 2020 and newer CPO BMW M550i's. I never wanted a BMW before now, and I'm still on the fence, but they tick every box that I have. My SHO still runs perfect, so I would need a big upgrade to make it "worth it", and there's like 3 contenders for me right now. 2-3 year old off lease AMG E series, Audi S6, or a BMW M550i, but I would only keep the car 2 years or so.

If you're open to lightly used vehicles (2-3 years) or mid sized SUV's there are some other options.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Hadlock posted:

The nice thing about a base 7 series is that is has almost all the features of a fully loaded 5 series, plus it's got about double the interior volume and at a lower price point

Someone is going to chime in here that it's not a good car to street park in Boston tho

The 6 series used to depreciate like crazy so you could pick up a 3-year old one for like 40% original price. If, that is, you want a 6er I guess.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

If you like the Volvo S60 you should get the Volvo V60, because it's the same except a station wagon and station wagons are objectively the best kind of car. For real though I've had a V60 for a couple of years and I really like it.

No longer available in the US except for as V60XC or the weird polestar T8 75k plug in hybrid V60

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

RIght now I don't know. I've taken my x3 as far as I feel comfortable with it. Now I want to go further. I'm fortunate that I can decide to just buy new vehicles. It's definitely beyond just simple dirt roads though. I'm literally minutes away from public land that you can just drive around in. I got desert, hills, 10k ft mountains.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

The 6 series used to depreciate like crazy so you could pick up a 3-year old one for like 40% original price. If, that is, you want a 6er I guess.

Yeah you can buy an off lease 7 series* with 3 years and 38k on the clock for around 40k all day long. They share a ton of parts bin parts with the 3 and 5 series (seats, gauge cluster, HVAC, steering wheel etc, inline 6 etc) so you can reasonably expect those things to be as reliable as the higher volume 3 series

*They're all off lease

Edit: but yeah they lose like, 50% of the value as soon as you drive it off the lot, do not recommend a new one

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 23, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

phosdex posted:

RIght now I don't know. I've taken my x3 as far as I feel comfortable with it. Now I want to go further. I'm fortunate that I can decide to just buy new vehicles. It's definitely beyond just simple dirt roads though. I'm literally minutes away from public land that you can just drive around in. I got desert, hills, 10k ft mountains.

Two vehicles, my friend. Tracking or off-roading a daily driver is an expensive proposition.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Two vehicles, my friend. Tracking or off-roading a daily driver is an expensive proposition.

I have 2 cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

phosdex posted:

I have 2 cars.

Since you have a Miata you now need three cars. It’ll be cheaper in the long run, I promise.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Since you have a Miata you now need three cars. It’ll be cheaper in the long run, I promise.

In the future I'll probably go more cars, for now though I'm thinking about the Grand Cherokee with the v8.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DNK posted:

You’re not wrong, but the 2023 Accord is basically a worse Civic in every metric except if you’re transporting four adults long distances. Top-trim civic costs about the same as a bottom-trim Accord and the civic absolutely shreds the accord.

It’s a really awful production year for the Accord.

Good point. I really, really wish the Honda HRV was a little bit better and had the bigger Civic Touring/Sport engine or at least that option.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

phosdex posted:

In the future I'll probably go more cars, for now though I'm thinking about the Grand Cherokee with the v8.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that are you ready to have your brand new car get all hosed up from off-road excursions? You might want to tag along with an off-roader group to see what's actually involved.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nitrox posted:

What everyone is trying to tell you is that are you ready to have your brand new car get all hosed up from off-road excursions? You might want to tag along with an off-roader group to see what's actually involved.

I'm selling a 1 year old x3 to buy something. I'm already getting rid of the brand new car. I won't daily it. I will be telling insurance that its like 1200/mi year. Does anyone have opinions on the vehicles I listed or specific alternates I can research? And I am totally fine if in a year I decide I need something more or less, I will just buy something else then.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 23, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Im curious why you're against a truck. I have a trip planned with a friend in that area of New Mexico, camping out at 10k feet an hour north of Taos, and he said we're going to take rough trails in his truck to "get away from the general public"

Like what do you envision a Bronco doing that you couldn't in a Ranger? It doesn't sound like you're doing anything super rough. Alternatively, keep the x3 and take a trailer up there with a side by side or atv

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 24, 2023

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

Im curious why you're against a truck. I have a trip planned with a friend in that area of New Mexico, camping out at 10k feet an hour north of Taos, and he said we're going to take rough trails in his truck to "get away from the general public"

Like what do you envision a Bronco doing that you couldn't in a Ranger? It doesn't sound like you're doing anything super rough. Alternatively, keep the x3 and take a trailer up there with a side by side

If you got a truck recommendation, then let me know. I said I'm open to trucks, but I'm not a truck guy and need to hear why you would want a truck.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm nowhere near as experienced as the guys in this thread, but I've driven 80s Datsun, 90s ford broncos, explorer, ranger for decades on muddy farms in the Midwest, '19 ranger somewhat on forest roads in the UP, and ATVs in the UP on forest trails or just wherever. I really liked a lot of the low speed traction features the ranger has, but it was also completely overkill for what I was doing.

I've had some of those trucks buried floorboard deep in mud or water and required tractors to pull them out, but I've also done the same with a Pontiac vibe.

Granted, I've taken my ford fusion on the same back roads as the trucks, but I banged up the skid plate pretty good and everyone saying vehicle clearance matters is 100% right.

My rough understanding is that the modern bronco is going to work better on rough off-road than something like the ranger, handle better due to being shorter, better suspension etc.

One thing I'll note is I personally like pickup truck beds for anything that's getting banged around and dirty since it's less cleaning of the interior, and only really prefer the SUV when it's in a city and I don't want stuff stolen.

What I don't know is where you'd be going that wouldn't be a good fit for a side by side, especially if you're a novice. Their safety is really drat nice, they're fast, they can do a ton. ATVs work too if you know how to handle them (my cousins had a 3 wheeler growing up and Jesus H Christ) and want to save money.

This is meandering but I think my point is if you aren't already experienced and know exactly what you want to do off-road, you're going to be better served by a general purpose small truck with true 4x4, or by a more specialized SXS. Hell, I'd probably try to get a '99 ranger instead of a '19 and just run it into the absolute ground so as to find the limits of what can be done, rather than risk destroying something newer, but the old ones are hard to find

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

phosdex posted:

It’s still unclear what your intent for 4wheeling is. There’s only a handful of vehicles brand new that can attempt something like the Dusy. You’ll need to invest in recovery gear too and you’ll need friends with similar built vehicles to go with. And tools and spare parts for on the trail repairs.

If the main requirement is to go further than an X3, I’d say just get whatever vehicle that has 4x4 that tickles your fancy and go find out what kind of trails you can manage. Majority of any 4x4 should be able to complete most if not all of the green trails at Tierra Del Sol.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

phosdex posted:

4runner is generally accepted as a good choice, but Actual Offroad trim is going to set you back more than 50 large after it gets optioned out and definitely after dealer markup

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No longer available in the US except for as V60XC or the weird polestar T8 75k plug in hybrid V60

Funny you say that; I was making a pros/cons spreadsheet and doing some research, and found this

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/s60-hybrid/

455 hp. 41 mile EV-only range. 52k.

I was honestly shocked it was in my price range. (The wagon version isn't)

e- ewwwww oh my god. Wool seats

GD_American fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 24, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GD_American posted:

Funny you say that; I was making a pros/cons spreadsheet and doing some research, and found this

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/s60-hybrid/

455 hp. 41 mile EV-only range. 52k.

I was honestly shocked it was in my price range. (The wagon version isn't)

That car is more expensive than its price indicates. Depreciation will murder you if you sell it anytime soon, but repair costs will if you keep it for a long time.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Loan Dusty Road posted:

It’s still unclear what your intent for 4wheeling is. There’s only a handful of vehicles brand new that can attempt something like the Dusy.

I have tried over and over to explain that I don't know what lies beyond what my x3 can do. Hoping that some people would give nice pointers as to what to look for to begin going offroad. At no point have I said it must be brand new.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Offroading OP should get a Porsche 997 4S and fit a Safari kit, not because it's a good idea, just because I want to do it but am prevented by local regulations

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

phosdex posted:

I have tried over and over to explain that I don't know what lies beyond what my x3 can do. Hoping that some people would give nice pointers as to what to look for to begin going offroad. At no point have I said it must be brand new.

You said you took it "as far as I feel comfortable with it" with no further explanation. It's also a year old and you're ready to sell it.

It sounds like you're bored and have money to burn, that's why you're getting the answers you're getting.

How about if you explain where you "took" this x3 and why it was "as far" as you were comfortable. Because I bet that like with most people who are bored and looking to change cars for reasons like this the correct place to spend the money is on driver training and seat time, not a new car. This is true for off roading and racing/track days. New vehicles can not replace sill or experience in bulk. Especially not something that's just one year newer than what you have now.

But if what you really want is a new car that looks different then just say that. If you can afford one that's totally okay.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2023