Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

It's me, your thread/convention social deduction game shill. If you're not in the discord (get in the discord, nerd) or are in the discord but don't go into the spooky social deduction channel(s), here's a survey/poll I made about playing Blood on the Clocktower at Gen Con.

https://forms.gle/MNjdT8iKSRmFcka46

There's not gonna be like a strict schedule or anything (obviously), but if people overwhelmingly are like "nah, I don't wanna" for something, then I won't go hog wild in terms of finding/writing scripts to bring. I'm not gonna run the game like constantly (oh, but given the opportunity, I just might) but I'll pencil some games in for certain days/times and schedule certain scripts for certain times or there's more interest. (Or set one or more times up as the "pseudo-live action twitch streams" where I'll try to set up in a way where the storyteller (me and/or someone else if people wanna do it) can talk to spectators about what they're doing and why.)

In the discord, there's also a place for people to talk about running other sorts of "events". I know the con is pretty freeform, but for example, if you wanna play a game of Fiasco (and who doesn't?!) you can post something like "I think I wanna do that after groverlunch" and see if you have takers. (And also whoever wants to do like a magic cube draft can know that if there's an overlap in who wants to do those things, then they won't be able to do it at that time.)

Basically, building our own gen con events system inside of gen con, but with blackjack clocktower and hookers goons. A lot of the fun of the con is just finding what you can get up to at random times, but also, there's a lot going on and if you say "anyone wanna play [x] right now?" people are gonna be busy, but if you say "anyone wanna play [x] at like 8:00 tonight?" people will show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sweet, my Sentinels and Dallas games both sold out immediately. Now I just need to entice people to the live show.

But instead of trying that in here may I suggest that if you have some spare time Friday you should consider our $2 RPG Quiz show where I'll be asking trivia questions and handing out prizes along with Jon from my shows, James D'Amato from One Shot and Campaign and stuff, and somehow Linda Codega from Gizmodo. Get copies of our books and random other stuff! And it's free: https://www.gencon.com/events/221455?fbclid=IwAR1qnqTTF-tdPZteVQELJEuvYs-IAdkbX95OI78Exh0YFOgdwAYoPsDTl64

theironjef fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 23, 2023

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Officially going to be at GenCon!!!! Just got my exhibitor badge today :D

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

Officially going to be at GenCon!!!! Just got my exhibitor badge today :D
YOU DID IT

Also

theironjef posted:

Sweet, my Sentinels and Dallas games both sold out immediately. Now I just need to entice people to the live show.

But instead of trying that in here may I suggest that if you have some spare time Friday you should consider our free RPG Quiz show where I'll be asking trivia questions and handing out prizes along with Jon from my shows, James D'Amato from One Shot and Campaign and stuff, and somehow Linda Codega from Gizmodo. Get copies of our books and random other stuff! And it's free: https://www.gencon.com/events/221455?fbclid=IwAR1qnqTTF-tdPZteVQELJEuvYs-IAdkbX95OI78Exh0YFOgdwAYoPsDTl64
I saw people excited about the Dallas game, so good work there. I mean heck I am pretty excited myself

But even more intrigued by the RPG Trivia session. Might have to consider....purchasing an event ticket after all???

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

[quote="Dr. Quarex" post="532024335"]
YOU DID IT

Also

I saw people excited about the Dallas game, so good work there. I mean heck I am pretty excited myself

But even more intrigued by the RPG Trivia session. Might have to consider....purchasing an event ticket after all???
Apparently two bucks! It's being put on by our publisher, a chance to push a couple of our books. The room is probably too big, so here's hoping we get some butts in those seats!

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

theironjef posted:

Totally free!

https://www.gencon.com/events/221455?fbclid=IwAR1qnqTTF-tdPZteVQELJEuvYs-IAdkbX95OI78Exh0YFOgdwAYoPsDTl64

The event page says tickets are $2 though? Am I missing something?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wait what? Okay, I guess it's two buck then. Our publisher scheduled it. I hope I'm getting that money, then. Money I didn't even know about. That should have been free. I'll edit that.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If its a $2 charge all that money goes to Gen Con. It’s the minimum fee for an event. They do let some events be free of charge but you have to ask and I am not sure what the criteria is for them to allow it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

nesbit37 posted:

If its a $2 charge all that money goes to Gen Con. It’s the minimum fee for an event. They do let some events be free of charge but you have to ask and I am not sure what the criteria is for them to allow it.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The only event I'm not hosting or helping at that I signed up for was free, but I think it's held by GenCon itself so I was briefly confused. So yeah, let's say it's two bucks but I don't make any money (unless you buy my books).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

theironjef posted:

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The only event I'm not hosting or helping at that I signed up for was free, but I think it's held by GenCon itself so I was briefly confused. So yeah, let's say it's two bucks but I don't make any money (unless you buy my books).

Join the discord, nerd. You won't make any money there either but there are plenty of goons playing board games and RPGs, unless your schedule is super packed I guess.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Join the discord, nerd. You won't make any money there either but there are plenty of goons playing board games and RPGs, unless your schedule is super packed I guess.

The front page links are all busted!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
NOT AGAIN

https://discord.gg/w5M97Fa8

Wow links expire after 7 days now? I could have sworn they were, you know, useful before

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

https://discord.gg/RRmdxt6

This is a non-expiring invite link, feel free to update the main post Quarex

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shadragul posted:

https://discord.gg/RRmdxt6

This is a non-expiring invite link, feel free to update the main post Quarex
THERE IS SUCH A THING?! HOORAY thanks, on it

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
gently caress YES, the Gencon Hotels site paid off and my group are now all Skywalk connected, wooo! GENCON BABY!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They really should connect the skywalks to more hotels. Including a miles long tunnel to the airport hotels.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I'm sure an insane South African billionaire would say that'd be a snap.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

gently caress YES, the Gencon Hotels site paid off and my group are now all Skywalk connected, wooo! GENCON BABY!
YOU DID IT

100% GOON SKYWALK ACCESS IN OUR TIME

8one6 posted:

They really should connect the skywalks to more hotels. Including a miles long tunnel to the airport hotels.
This is the exact kind of out-of-the-box thinking we need around here; you are hired

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

BlackIronHeart posted:

I'm sure an insane South African billionaire would say that'd be a snap.

But the tweets

Mudcrab Merchant
Dec 28, 2008

Please pay in exact change.
I made a human so unfortunately, for her, I will be breaking my however many eons now GenCon streak
GroverLunch will still happen, watch the discord for it, and think of me when you order the bread pudding my dears

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mudcrab Merchant posted:

I made a human so unfortunately, for her, I will be breaking my however many eons now GenCon streak
GroverLunch will still happen, watch the discord for it, and think of me when you order the bread pudding my dears
I love you Double M

No matter how big a Gen-Con fan you may be, babies will one day arrive and disrupt streaks for us all. Every one of you reading this will have a baby by next year's Gen-Con

Speaking of my own 2016 Gen-Con babby, he finally spoke the magic words in order to me the other day, "can I go to Gen-Con with you next time*?" so I suspect my ~2024-2030 Gens-Con will look very different while I wait until I feel like he is old enough to not need to be accompanied at all times

Also I got some of the goddamn ICC carpet, if you for some reason are not on the Discord and want some let me know and I can undoubtedly hand you a square on-site in August for a reasonable fee (I am going to put it all in a storage container until the convention and I do not actually live in Indianapolis)

*Yes I realize technically speaking this year is "next time," but we discussed it in the context of the fun trip he was going on while I was attending this year, so I think everyone involved is reading things accurately

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
31 days

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Gen Con!!! Looking forward to seeing a bunch of old friends and trying to make some new ones, and play some games in the process.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shadragul posted:

Gen Con!!! Looking forward to seeing a bunch of old friends and trying to make some new ones, and play some games in the process.
This all checks out. Pretty sure everyone here who actually goes to Goon hangs at some point during the convention cannot help but end up with new friends for the next year.

We are all clearly going to get super into Lorcana

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Quarex posted:

This all checks out. Pretty sure everyone here who actually goes to Goon hangs at some point during the convention cannot help but end up with new friends for the next year.

We are all clearly going to get super into Lorcana

I cut one goon from the friend list every year. You're next.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Bottom Liner posted:

I cut one goon from the friend list every year. You're next.
😍

I have always wanted to be struck from a list

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I'm already in Indiana! Two weeks early! Gen Con has begun in my heart.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. Quarex posted:

😍

I have always wanted to be struck from a list

Best I can do is struck.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

It's been a good 5-7 years since my last Gen Con, excited to go this time around. I am in the stage of buying board games and never playing them part of my collecting career and hoping to get back to grass roots. I checked the interactive map and didn't see where the auction will be this year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr.Trifecta posted:

It's been a good 5-7 years since my last Gen Con, excited to go this time around. I am in the stage of buying board games and never playing them part of my collecting career and hoping to get back to grass roots. I checked the interactive map and didn't see where the auction will be this year.
They moved it, the maniacs, they exiled us to the second floor of the Marriott across the street from the convention center. Between the surely reduced crowds and expanding the space ~33% it is definitely going to be the best year to spend time looking at the Consignment Store though. Wider aisles AND less guilt that you are holding up the line!

I think my phase of buying things and never playing them ended without me really noticing in 2019, and related to the Auction I am also finishing up selling the other half of my tabletop things I did not sell last year in this year's!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One of these years I'll bring in a bunch of board games for the auction since I'm never going to play them.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

:siren: IM GOIN NOW :siren:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

:siren: IM GOIN NOW :siren:
HE IS GOIN' NOW

drat that is early, even I am not leaving until Friday :dadjoke:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

One of these years I'll bring in a bunch of board games for the auction since I'm never going to play them.
Here just bring them this year, we can put them in the Auction by crossing out the names of things I was going to put in and attaching the tags to them instead

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

HE IS GOIN' NOW

drat that is early, even I am not leaving until Friday :dadjoke:

Here just bring them this year, we can put them in the Auction by crossing out the names of things I was going to put in and attaching the tags to them instead

This sounds way more complicated than waiting a year so I can not do it then either.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

They moved it, the maniacs, they exiled us to the second floor of the Marriott across the street from the convention center. Between the surely reduced crowds and expanding the space ~33% it is definitely going to be the best year to spend time looking at the Consignment Store though. Wider aisles AND less guilt that you are holding up the line!

I think my phase of buying things and never playing them ended without me really noticing in 2019, and related to the Auction I am also finishing up selling the other half of my tabletop things I did not sell last year in this year's!

What the heck, you got sent to exile island? I will still stop in and visit and perhaps drool at some things. I see there is online registration, how good is the calendar of items? I'd like to know when I should be in when certain things sell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is the consignment shop also moving?

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Bottom Liner posted:

Is the consignment shop also moving?

Yes, it'll be in the same ballroom as the auction, just like before, but now with 6' wide walkways!

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I see there is online registration, how good is the calendar of items? I'd like to know when I should be in when certain things sell.

The tentative schedule is available at https://livegameauctions.com/

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This sounds way more complicated than waiting a year so I can not do it then either.

Not sure if I feel seen or attacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr.Trifecta posted:

What the heck, you got sent to exile island? I will still stop in and visit and perhaps drool at some things. I see there is online registration, how good is the calendar of items? I'd like to know when I should be in when certain things sell.
Yeah it feels like a definite demotion, even though the end result will certainly be a better experience for the people attending, even if the overall money brought in will probably drop a bit.

And in addition to the list on the webpage, the individual sections actually have entries in the Gen-Con event list for the first time ever, so you can always check what is currently happening against whatever else you might want to do.

The answer is always to come to the Auction of course