Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bows1 posted:

I didn’t realize Scorsese did so much work with the Osage tribe to do it right. I love that.

https://twitter.com/jimgraytweetz/status/1660026325447372800?s=46&t=G8Aq6A5iUmw5R1Z4gfWSjw

Great thread and has me even more hyped for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This looks pretty charming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVDIUk0kM8

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I've heard very very positive things about this from people I know that got to see it early.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I've heard very very positive things about this from people I know that got to see it early.

This gives me strong Waiting for Guffman vibes and I'm in

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Strays looks dreadful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I looked up some short documentary youtubes about the Osage massacre and wow. I recommend not looking up anything about the story or the movie before watching the movie. Don’t even look up casting info. It’s full of shockers and now I wish I got the full concentration of shock on premiere weekend. Don’t be like me!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Something kind of weird about temporarily preserving historical ignorance in order to better enjoy shocking tragedies as entertainment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not that weird.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Strays looks dreadful.

I genuinely have no idea who the film is for.

I assume 20 year old college guys?

It just looks like the most dire poo poo. I haven't been too impressed with much of Universal's offerings this year.

I didn't like Knock at the Cabin. Renfield was an incredible let down. I'm seeing Fast X tomorrow, but not expecting it to necessarily be amazing.

Cocaine Bear isn't my style of film, so I haven't seen that one, but I hear that one is good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bugblatter posted:

Something kind of weird about temporarily preserving historical ignorance in order to better enjoy shocking tragedies as entertainment.

I feel like allowing a film based on a tragedy to have maximum impact on viewing is showing some respect to the true story, especially since you’re gonna look up the true story afterwards anyways for accuracy

Am I really out of line here?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like allowing a film based on a tragedy to have maximum impact on viewing is showing some respect to the true story, especially since you’re gonna look up the true story afterwards anyways for accuracy

Am I really out of line here?

Not out of a line. On second look my statement feels a lot more judgmental than it did in my head. I'm doing the same thing you suggested, but it does feel kind of odd that I'm treating a very real tragedy in the same manner as I would spoilers for a new Star Wars movie or what have you. There's just something that nags at my mind about it, can't put my finger on it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

It just looks like the most dire poo poo. I haven't been too impressed with much of Universal's offerings this year.

I didn't like Knock at the Cabin. Renfield was an incredible let down. I'm seeing Fast X tomorrow, but not expecting it to necessarily be amazing.

Cocaine Bear isn't my style of film, so I haven't seen that one, but I hear that one is good.

Super Mario Bros? M3GAN? Puss in Boots?

Also Oppenheimer is good

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
at 77 Wim Wenders still has it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTgWYojq-z8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

yup

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

spoiler brain is weird when one starts treating historical events as spoilers, yes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just kept thinking of Wet Hot American Summer but the entire movie is about the theater part.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

spoiler brain is weird when one starts treating historical events as spoilers, yes

I totally read that post wrong. Idk why I thought they meant preserving historical accuracy for dumb movies. I think I confused this thread with another thread.

Yes it’s weird lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's weird about it? Unless I'm also reading it wrong, if you happen to not know the story then waiting until the movie to learn about it - thus letting the narrative discovery have maximum impact - is not weird.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah I dunno, I didn’t read 12 Years a Slave before I saw it. Seems fine to me?

Edit: maybe people are getting hung on the word “spoilers” as trivializing a real trauma?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I think it’s using the word spoilers for real events that makes it weird. Discussing it as if it were fiction you’re trying not to know too much about.

Not looking deeper isn’t a huge issue.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm reading the book in preparation since I want to engage with the movie without trying to figure out the mystery.

A different way to think about it, equally valid.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Oh man, so much good cinema coming up. This looks great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gimme

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

kiimo posted:

Super Mario Bros? M3GAN? Puss in Boots?

Also Oppenheimer is good

Super Mario Bros looks like the kind of insufferable film that would make me rather jump head first into a wood chipper.

I'm not a horror guy so no M3GAN. Puss In Boots was last year. Oppenheimer isn't out yet but I'm kinda over Chris Nolan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not a horror guy so no M3GAN

It's may as well not be. It's mostly a sci-fi movie where a robot kills a few people

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mordiceius posted:

Super Mario Bros looks like the kind of insufferable film that would make me rather jump head first into a wood chipper.

I watched Mario with my 6 (almost 7) year old daughter the other day, and it's a perfectly fine kid's movie, but not much more than that. It also has, like, 20 times more references than an MCU movie, somehow?

If you think about any part of it for more than 1 second, it falls apart. But it is 100% a kid's movie (and not the early Pixar kind), so you probably shouldn't? Except for all those references that only someone my age (turning 40 on Saturday) or older, who is watching it with their kid, would get.

Basically, if you can stand to watch a Despicable Me movie, you'll probably have a decent time. If you can't, stay the gently caress away from it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 23, 2023

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Happy birthday! Mine is next Wednesday and it's a great time of year to have a birthday isn't it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Happy birthday! Mine is next Wednesday and it's a great time of year to have a birthday isn't it

Thanks! Happy birthday to you! It really is birthday season. I'm going to a birthday party for one of my kid's friends every weekend this month, and then her birthday is at the beginning of June.

What the hell happened 9 months (and however many years) ago?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2023

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

It should be worth noting that the film adaptation of Killers of the Flower Moon has a different narrative focus than the book. Multiple interviews with Scorsese and the cast/crew have said that they've done away with the whodunit structure of the book and the audience is made aware of everything right upfront.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah I think it’s using the word spoilers for real events that makes it weird. Discussing it as if it were fiction you’re trying not to know too much about.

Not looking deeper isn’t a huge issue.

I agree, I really really don't like the word spoiler being used here.

That being said I am honestly going to watch the movie first before I do any reading about this since I really don't have time right now to do this event justice and also it really seems like Scorsese went about making this movie in the absolute right way and that the Osage peoples story is being told in a way that they want it to be told and is respectful to their history. Just overall really impressed by what I have read about the production so far. But if anyone has suggestions for decent books to read about this (aside from the one the movie is based on) I am open to all suggestions.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Mordiceius posted:

Right. Seems like a waste of talent to make a gimmicky movie like this. It would probably be much better if they ditched the dog angle altogether and just made the movie about Will Forte's character.....because Forte is hilarious.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not that weird.

Perhaps, but it's kind of gross to trivialise a historic tragedy in such a way. "But my entertainments!" Come the gently caress on, mate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro you’re super late

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Bro you’re super late

I'm sorry. I didn't realise that responding to a post on the same page had an arbitrary time limit set entirely by you. I'm so so so so so so very sorrrrrrrrry.

Also, don't defend or downplay people encouraging ignorance about historic tragedies because "spoilers!" That's also kind of hosed up in its own way.

Or do we all no longer have your permission to highlight that issue either?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s not like people are going out of their way to avoid learning about something, they’re just holding off until after they see the movie. If the movie didn’t exist they probably would never have learned about it at all. I think we can all chill out about it, is what I’m saying

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edogawa rando posted:

I'm sorry. I didn't realise that responding to a post on the same page had an arbitrary time limit set entirely by you. I'm so so so so so so very sorrrrrrrrry.

Also, don't defend or downplay people encouraging ignorance about historic tragedies because "spoilers!" That's also kind of hosed up in its own way.

Or do we all no longer have your permission to highlight that issue either?

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I looked up some short documentary youtubes about the Osage massacre and wow. I recommend not looking up anything about the story or the movie before watching the movie. Don’t even look up casting info. It’s full of shockers and now I wish I got the full concentration of shock on premiere weekend. Don’t be like me!

This post is pretty weird. I get wanting to experience the story while maintaining some suspense but this comes off as treating it like a spectacle or something. Recommending people not even look up cast credits as if they're a big spoiler comes off pretty lovely.

Colonel Whitey posted:

It’s not like people are going out of their way to avoid learning about something, they’re just holding off until after they see the movie. If the movie didn’t exist they probably would never have learned about it at all. I think we can all chill out about it, is what I’m saying

I do agree with this sentiment tho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah its the discussion that makes it weird. Not so much the act itself.

I vaugely knew about watergate and all that but watching the white house plumbers is pretty drat wild, because drat random plane crash yo...but that actually happened. What are the odds.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because discouraging people from learning about a historic event, especially one of major significance to a particular group of people, because “spoilers” like the guy further up the page did trivialises what happened as if it’s some sort of spectacle for our entertainment.

That said, I’m not sure what some dipshits get out of downplaying the shittiness of what Mr Spoilers said and trying to discourage discussion about it either, so there’s that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

Replace “spoilers” with “racism” and think about how you sound here.