Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
part of sisu's problem is he's john wick except for gold instead of a dog

i mean there's even a truck full of joy division girls and saving them is just kind of incidental to the getting gold back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean there's even a truck full of joy division girls and saving them is just kind of incidental to the getting gold back

All of us would kill for a shitload of gold though. Or at least attempt to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I mean, if they're Nazis sure, but not as a general rule.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
SISU loving rules.

My main issue is the last minute or so jumps the shark. What would've been better / funnier / more cathartic is if the band of women found the MC's arms gripping the gold bag as the only remains from the plane crash, then when they go cash the gold, we turn from the bank teller to that final line of "Bills, lots of the them" from the MC (in the flesh albeit symbolically).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

This summer you will learn to love capitalism again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ruddiger posted:

This summer you will learn to love capitalism again

Love of gold is old school, that goes way back before capitalism

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Pirate Jet posted:

You could immediately improve it by removing about 80% of the dialogue. There’s no less than two scenes where a character exposits to another gradually horrified character about how our protagonist is so the wrong man to gently caress with you don’t even KNOW.

It's a movie that's heavily invested in "tell, don't show." The movie has a good idea, but it really hasn't developed on from that idea.

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah, this is to the movie's detriment too. Like there's this clash between "this guy just minding his own business" and "it's the Nazis." There's probably a close version of the movie where the final scene of him exchanging the gold manages to have some critical edge. Using it as a punchline just kinda underlines the paucity of the film.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've seen gold irl and it's kinda ehh

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Sisu was a great time watching it in the cinema, even if it took the rest of my audience some time to catch up with the fact it wasn't supposed to be taken too seriously (I was on board from that first Nazi kill). I did have to also laugh at how ridiculously bad the Nazis were at shooting straight, even with a mounted machine gun. I also think the plane crash could have been made a little more credible by having him at least attempt to glide it in, otherwise yeah that suggested ending sounds better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

smug n stuff posted:

There was a whole trailer centered around how The Dog Doesn't Die

Yep, that was the one I saw before Beau Is Afraid.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Are we talking an imperial shitload or a metric shitload?

There is enough difference to effect the extent and thoroughness of my bloodlust.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kilogold just isn’t the same as “the amount of gold a king could carry with his two hands”

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I would require a Ninja Scroll-ending amount of gold to start murdering. The upside is that I would do a Ninja Scroll-ending amount of murder for that much gold.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, that was the one I saw before Beau Is Afraid.

how'd you like Beau?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how'd you like Beau?

I liked the very last scene, felt like a Bruce McCullough directed KITH sketch. The rest was extremely broad and obvious in the worst way.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grendels Dad posted:

I would require a Ninja Scroll-ending amount of gold to start murdering. The upside is that I would do a Ninja Scroll-ending amount of murder for that much gold.

It’s wild that one guy did so many of the most notorious 80s OVA movies, because I don’t think I’d want to watch anything else by Kawajiri after sitting through Wicked City. Wretched movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s wild that one guy did so many of the most notorious 80s OVA movies, because I don’t think I’d want to watch anything else by Kawajiri after sitting through Wicked City. Wretched movie.

I'd not even go back to Ninja Scroll, kick-rear end as much of it might be. But Wicked City absolutely takes the cake.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I was laughing like a nutter on Beau but even I had to look at my watch because omg this movie still has an hour left?!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sticking a shaggy dog joke into an already 2hour and change movie is certainly a choice

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I liked the very last scene, felt like a Bruce McCullough directed KITH sketch. The rest was extremely broad and obvious in the worst way.

Interesting. I enjoyed the first half a lot but didn't really care for much of the second half. Final shot was pretty good though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Repugned/status/1661076639357214720?s=20

(Disclosure: this is my account. Yes, I am promoting a tweet I wrote).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

therattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocU86emy-Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMspwShgxQ0&t=215s

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

“tell him I’m loving coming!” From the Limey (1999)

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

therattle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRvXlJggANA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

https://youtu.be/CSMOVeE9YBI

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T4A2SqFm94&t=205s

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are we talking an imperial shitload or a metric shitload?

There is enough difference to effect the extent and thoroughness of my bloodlust.

A shitload is a standard metric measurement. The imperial system is fucktons.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 23, 2023

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

therattle posted:

The opening of The Martian. Not a great movie, but a fantastic PG-13 F bomb

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mutantIke posted:

a fantastic PG-13 F bomb

The classic answer for this is the meltdown from Planes Trains and Automobiles

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Watched Love & Saucers. The part where they interview a college professor who’s like, “you see stories of erotic encounters with beings from beyond all throughout history, in many cultures. Historically they were understood through a religious framework, but in modern times they take on a sci-fi nature. Either way they’re real, they actually happen, and it happened to me once” is insanely good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really digging the Asteroid City reviews.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Failed Imagineer posted:

The classic answer for this is the meltdown from Planes Trains and Automobiles

That movie is R

Also what happened to the borderlands movie lmao

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That movie is R

Also what happened to the borderlands movie lmao

They got a different director (Tim Miller) to do a bunch of reshoots after Eli Roth hosed off to film Thanksgiving

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s insane lol.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Wowwww Schrader's new film is so terribly thought out. Just every poor decision you can think of while the man works out his issues.

I can't believe they actually got a whole production crew to film this weird old man fantasy.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Pirate Jet posted:

They got a different director (Tim Miller) to do a bunch of reshoots after Eli Roth hosed off to film Thanksgiving

The truth is that Randy Pitchford left behind a big puddle of grease while he was visiting the set and Eli Roth slipped on it and slid right into the craft services table at an incredible speed. He died instantly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
watching Sisu right now

so much fun lol, hated that for some reason my theater only had it for like half a week, so missed seeing it there

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tubi’s ad breaks during Enter the Void is some quality :discourse:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Segue posted:

Wowwww Schrader's new film is so terribly thought out. Just every poor decision you can think of while the man works out his issues.

I can't believe they actually got a whole production crew to film this weird old man fantasy.

Master Race was right there

a nazi race car driver hello paul schrader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Paul Schrader has a dial on his back, where one side says 'make incredible films' and the other side says 'be a huge rear end in a top hat and make lovely movies' and nobody knows who keeps moving the dial back and forth randomly.