Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Knitting Beetles posted:

No idea if this is true but tire manufacturers designing their products to disintegrate as fast as possible seems obvious, big lol if this could've been largely avoided if it weren't for $

There's no way it beats out fishing nets by 2050 unless the study is banking on mass extinction of all ocean life

Not an unsafe bet but it feels like another "it's your (consumers') fault" article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

cash crab posted:

i've been cracking and pinging pretty hard for like three days or so but i just want to say i miss bugs

they won't miss us.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

cash crab posted:

i've been cracking and pinging pretty hard for like three days or so but i just want to say i miss bugs

there's a poo poo load of ticks now to make up for all the other species that are gone. i think i've had more on me this year than the last 20+, never even saw one until my teens.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

cash crab posted:

Look i know they're important or whatever and yeah it's weird that they're gone but i will never miss them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Everyone who is younger than 40 that I know doesn't give a gently caress about saving for retirement in the States. Who cares? The Earth will kill us in the next two decades anyways.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Everyone who is younger than 40 that I know doesn't give a gently caress about saving for retirement in the States. Who cares? The Earth will kill us in the next two decades anyways.

lol dude

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

cash crab posted:

I can't believe more people aren't freaking out about this because they just aren't there, at least where I am. I can remember bugs being around in the 90s and into the 2010s maybe, but now they're just gone

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

I mean, it's kind of comforting knowing the fields are already sown. Anxiety was wondering how we were gonna fix it, what it was going to take for people to wake up and start working towards a livable future. Now we don't have to worry about all that. The free market is going to take care of everything.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, I'm all for us unfucking Climate change, but how many reports do we need that keep moving the dates of no return closer and closer to the present before you accept what is coming and just live your life to the fullest?

Sanlav posted:

I mean, it's comforting knowing the fields are already sown. Anxiety was wondering how we were gonna fix it, what it was going to take for people to wake up and start working towards a livable future. Now we don't have to worry about all that. The free market is going to take care of everything.

Pretttttty much.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

AceClown posted:

Probably doing a lot of lifting here, if the gulf stream collapses it'll be under many feet of snow for like 8 months of the year

Is the difference that big? If AVG land temps rise by 2C, they effect is doubled to 4C in northern latitudes. Maybe the heating just cancels out if Gulf Stream shuts off?

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

there will be no cathartic release, there will be no dramatic end, there will only be mass death and suffering on a scale somewhere between ww2 and the pox induced de-population of the americas.

you people want an out so bad you fantasize a much more interesting scenario than is likely. you won't believe how boring it'll be to read news reports of all the heat wave deaths and european democracies collapsing.

you are much much much more likely to die from your 10th covid infection in your 50s than climate change.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oh its gonna be very frustrageous

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

millions of americans dying from mad cow disease years after anyone has been able to eat beef due to food systems collapse

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

4d3d3d posted:

I can't believe more people aren't freaking out about this because they just aren't there, at least where I am. I can remember bugs being around in the 90s and into the 2010s maybe, but now they're just gone

I remember my parent's car being plastered with bugs in the summers, so bad that they used to sell plexiglass deflectors you could bolt to your car to push the bugs up and over the windshield. I don't see anything like that these days.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Puppy Burner posted:

there's a poo poo load of ticks now to make up for all the other species that are gone. i think i've had more on me this year than the last 20+, never even saw one until my teens.
It's been a fantastic year for ticks in the northwest. I've already had a couple of those little guys burrow into my crotch.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hey, I'm all for us unfucking Climate change, but how many reports do we need that keep moving the dates of no return closer and closer to the present before you accept what is coming and just live your life to the fullest?

Pretttttty much.

if one believes that material conditions will continue to worsen and the level of uncertainty at every level of society will continue to increase (both of which are correct, as we all know), then the sensible thing to do, IMHO, is to try to increase one's level of savings, rather than surrender oneself to the whims of future catastrophes

even if you think there will be total societal collapse in the next X years and that your saved money either will disappear or won't mean anything, you can still prepare for the future in other ways, such as by learning skills that you think will be crucial. that's still far more preferable to saying "gently caress it all" and opting to maximize pleasure today

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

4d3d3d posted:

this reminds me of the month before covid hit the us and i was full blown losing my goddamned mind and everyone around me was like lol we get two weeks off work. the only person cracking and pinging at my level was my neighbor. the sun is hazy today from the smoke in alberta and i am standing in an ikea holding a fake monstera wondering when my dad is going to die from the wildfire smoke. right before my partners mother had a massive stroke last year she told all of she needed to go home before el niño showed up but obviously never made it. we are running out of bugs.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Nothus posted:

I remember my parent's car being plastered with bugs in the summers, so bad that they used to sell plexiglass deflectors you could bolt to your car to push the bugs up and over the windshield. I don't see anything like that these days.

It's incredible to witness everyone around just collectively forget how many insects there used to be around compared to now. I haven't had more than a splatter or two on my windshield in years. Where are the bugs man!?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

cash crab posted:

this reminds me of the month before covid hit the us and i was full blown losing my goddamned mind and everyone around me was like lol we get two weeks off work. the only person cracking and pinging at my level was my neighbor. the sun is hazy today from the smoke in alberta and i am standing in an ikea holding a fake monstera wondering when my dad is going to die from the wildfire smoke. right before my partners mother had a massive stroke last year she told all of she needed to go home before el niño showed up but obviously never made it. we are running out of bugs.

*runs around in the streets yelling at increasingly distressed passers by* WHERE ARE THE BUGS WHERE ARE THEY

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

4d3d3d posted:

It's incredible to witness everyone around just collectively forget how many insects there used to be around compared to now.

people have fooled themselves into thinking this is because windshields have become more aerodynamic, which is especially funny given that most people drive enormous boxy trucks now

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

if you’re going to invest towards the future your portfolio should consist of non perishable food stores and guns

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

4d3d3d posted:

It's incredible to witness everyone around just collectively forget how many insects there used to be around compared to now. I haven't had more than a splatter or two on my windshield in years. Where are the bugs man!?
Yeah, god. I remember the bugs sounding like rain sometimes. Sorry about that bugs!

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, god. I remember the bugs sounding like rain sometimes. Sorry about that bugs!

We never knew how good we had it, scrubbing our windshields clean of the little guys. :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I saw some flies the other day

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

4d3d3d posted:

*runs around in the streets yelling at increasingly distressed passers by* WHERE ARE THE BUGS WHERE ARE THEY

THE BUGS ARE DEAD AND WE HAVE KILLED THEM

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Probably you saturated the whole continent with pesticides and other poisons? So bug’s can’t just live anymore, since it’s all poison everywhere.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Tungsten posted:

THE BUGS ARE DEAD AND WE HAVE KILLED THEM

so's everything else. ain't nothing special in that

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

Probably you saturated the whole continent with pesticides and other poisons? So bug’s can’t just live anymore, since it’s all poison everywhere.

there arent any bugs left except the ones eating my garden

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

if one believes that material conditions will continue to worsen and the level of uncertainty at every level of society will continue to increase (both of which are correct, as we all know), then the sensible thing to do, IMHO, is to try to increase one's level of savings, rather than surrender oneself to the whims of future catastrophes

even if you think there will be total societal collapse in the next X years and that your saved money either will disappear or won't mean anything, you can still prepare for the future in other ways, such as by learning skills that you think will be crucial. that's still far more preferable to saying "gently caress it all" and opting to maximize pleasure today

Sure, let me start saving. Oops, food prices went up another 100%, and so did rent. NEVERMIND.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Ihmemies posted:

This is it, in addition to destroying their habitat and using herbicides that also kill bugs or ruin their livelihoods and etc

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Hmmm, crypto or beans, crypto or beans?
Can someone with a degree in financial management help me out with this one?

Curious what glyphosate does to the gut biome of insects. I'd hit Google Scholar but I think I can guess the answer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
insects exoskeletons keep their figures looking pretty consistent, never seen one with a gut

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Is the difference that big? If AVG land temps rise by 2C, they effect is doubled to 4C in northern latitudes. Maybe the heating just cancels out if Gulf Stream shuts off?

lot of folks don't actually realise how far north we are because the gulf stream keeps us in relatively mild conditions:

If this badboy stops bringing us that sweet sweet warm water from the Caribbean then even in the UK we can expect a climate to be similar to alaska, even further north is arctic conditions for pretty much the whole year round.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
How can they make us eat the bugs when the bugs are all gone? Checkmate :smug:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

nikosoft posted:

so you're saying i should eat as many as i can right now

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

cat botherer posted:

It's been a fantastic year for ticks in the northwest. I've already had a couple of those little guys burrow into my crotch.

Stop loving the tall grass

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

nikosoft posted:

theyre talking about all the cia mics in your apartment

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
that or tesla software glitches

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The things you mentioned aren't savings, which you seem to agree is not worthwhile, and I don't know why you would want to increase one's level of savings. It is indeed a good idea to cultivate skills and community and tools required for self-reliance, things that will allow you to have a more comfortable life while most societal systems collapse and burn. but savings are just numbers in a bank computer somewhere, and making that number go up directly limits the amount of resources you have access to right now. Instead of throwing a few grand into deep pointless abyss you could be using that to take classes on metallurgy or building a greenhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

you know what isn't going to lose value when the banks do another oopsie?

ammo

and basmati rice