Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

TheWeedNumber posted:

orange juche, take it away please

He's right though. Maybe you got your Japan bases mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CMD598 posted:

He's right though. Maybe you got your Japan bases mixed up.

Afraid I don’t.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was on Atsugi for a couple of months and being under Japan Navy rule was pretty terrible at the time but the chow hall was pretty good. There was like a western side and then an asian food side (lunch on weekdays only) that had a particular menu for a given day of the week, like Tuesdays were curry rice and Wednesdays were ramen or something like that. They always had a Filipino soup of the day like arrozcaldo or tinola that were pretty amazing in my recollection. I didn't make it over there often bc our hangar where maint dept worked was like right across from the flight line galley. I also made some of the best friends I had my whole time in the service at that command. I have many complaints about curfews and my old squadron but Atsugi itself didn't seem that bad, but I think I have probably also memory-holed everything except the most positive experiences since I had a series of major depressive breakdowns and got shitcanned from the navy about a year later.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The galley at Atsugi was probably the only good thing about the base, the food was pretty good, I was always hitting up the "asian" line that had the local stuff. Also, god drat Japanese street food slaps, less than a thousand yen got you good food.

I miss the gently caress out of Japan and if I were financially able to I would absolutely buy a house in the Japanese countryside for basically paperclips and bubblegum and live there forever lol.

You can buy abandoned houses for like nothing, as long as you're willing to fix them (much easier said than done, most need major renovation work). Just don't plan on buying them as an investment because you basically cannot resell them unless they're super rare. So like an average house that costs like 60k USD would be 100k once you're done with fees and commissions, and then you have to do the expensive part, renovation to make it livable.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2023

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

US Berder Patrol posted:

I was on Atsugi for a couple of months and being under Japan Navy rule was pretty terrible at the time but the chow hall was pretty good. There was like a western side and then an asian food side (lunch on weekdays only) that had a particular menu for a given day of the week, like Tuesdays were curry rice and Wednesdays were ramen or something like that. They always had a Filipino soup of the day like arrozcaldo or tinola that were pretty amazing in my recollection. I didn't make it over there often bc our hangar where maint dept worked was like right across from the flight line galley. I also made some of the best friends I had my whole time in the service at that command. I have many complaints about curfews and my old squadron but Atsugi itself didn't seem that bad, but I think I have probably also memory-holed everything except the most positive experiences since I had a series of major depressive breakdowns and got shitcanned from the navy about a year later.

idk if it was the base itself or whatever it was but the branch health clinic in 2010-2011 had a bunch of toxic leadership issues, i heard other units, namely the squadrons, had that issue. I don't know if its being under Naval Forces Japan control that made leaders sing a different tune or what. All I know is toxic leadership seemed to be endemic to the base from most people I hear about that were stationed at Atsugi. And I was p shocked to hear otherwise. I'm not even mad if you had a good time at Atsugi, I'm more like "thank god it was good for you." Because it wasn't good for me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The galley went from great to totally loving sucks worse than a Seabee galley really fast when the boat went out

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
My experience with medical in general over the last decade has basically been dudes at a desk next to a ringing phone they refuse to answer amongst other mostly negative things.

FDNF in general is very much an "it depends". Some people loved it and you couldn't get rid of them.* Others got stuck in a lovely squadron working round the clock. Others still ended up in the squadron doing the least amount of bullshit and getting questionably max off time and still hated it.

*Until all the fixed wing moved to Iwakuni. Iwakuni is definitely worse.

Atsugi specifically always felt like a place no one really knew about. I heard plenty of stories that probably would have made national news if they were anywhere else but Atsugi kept that poo poo on lockdown. It's where a young AMAN 598 was taught by his own CoC that the FDNF rules are really more like unenforceable suggestions than actual rules.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

CMD598 posted:

My experience with medical in general over the last decade has basically been dudes at a desk next to a ringing phone they refuse to answer amongst other mostly negative things.

FDNF in general is very much an "it depends". Some people loved it and you couldn't get rid of them.* Others got stuck in a lovely squadron working round the clock. Others still ended up in the squadron doing the least amount of bullshit and getting questionably max off time and still hated it.

*Until all the fixed wing moved to Iwakuni. Iwakuni is definitely worse.

Atsugi specifically always felt like a place no one really knew about. I heard plenty of stories that probably would have made national news if they were anywhere else but Atsugi kept that poo poo on lockdown. It's where a young AMAN 598 was taught by his own CoC that the FDNF rules are really more like unenforceable suggestions than actual rules.

how many gang rapes got covered up during your time because at least one got covered up during my short naval career there and it happened at my clinic. Hi5 3rd MLG who got away with it. Didn’t see nothing in Marine Times, Navy Times, nothing. They sent her rear end to the hospital and forgot about it from what I could tell.

That’s before I roll into the suicide that happened there on my way out. Rip Lt j.g. Encinas. And HN Midkiff though he OD’d post service. I’m unsure if he was hosed prior to Atsugi or hosed after it but either way, no mother should have to bury their son.

Atsugi will always have a body count in my mind. Not even blue side could I miss out on death.

Oh and we had a doc prior to me arriving who was putting in extra work during the Pap smear.

https://www.stripes.com/news/jag-relieved-of-command-for-his-handling-of-doctor-s-sex-assault-case-1.135164

https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy-doctor-at-yokosuka-admits-molesting-patients-1.104204

gently caress Atsugi forever. And gently caress the Navy too.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

orange juche posted:

So like an average house that costs like 60k USD

Uh

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Brief look on google (because I too am interested in the prospect of an "average" 60k USD house) brings up this website that has a whole section of rural Japanese houses that are sub JPY10MM (which is ~USD72k) . So it's not out of the ballpark. Kind of cool looking. Nothing to do with the Navy though.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm talking average as in average Japanese house (so think cozy), not like something ostentatious like an old mansion or something, like something built in the 90s in rural or small town Japan is about 60-80k depending on exchange rate. The day that I checked it, 8.5M yen was 62k USD. Granted you have a lot of fees that go along with it and commissions, which can total up to 35-40% of the posted price of the house, but if you have someone who can help you navigate it, there are local programs through the municipalities that have the abandoned homes to incentivize new buyers, such as waiving the fees or giving you significant financial assistance if you agree to live in the house.

Nothing to do with the Navy though but its one of those things that if you're like ex Navy and got stationed in Japan during your service, and want to maybe go back to Japan without having the boot of USFJ on your back, that's a way to do it.

E: that kominka website is pretty neat, if you want an older Japanese house you can get something that is a quite large stand-alone house with land for not a lot of money too, but yet again, old house problems.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 24, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Neat, affordable housing! I had no idea the costs were so low in Japan

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Neat, affordable housing! I had no idea the costs were so low in Japan

Everything in the cities is priced to the loving moon, but get out into the boonies and it's really cheap. You better know Japanese though because nobody out in the sticks knows English, and if they do know English, they're probably not confident enough in speaking it to use it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 25, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Welp fleet week off to a roaring start. Didn’t plan on drinking tonight but some random Indian mogul had other plans and bought a poo poo ton of drinks for us.
gently caress I gotta work on just a few hours.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Can we just ban him at this point?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I do like the variety in this thread, Crabdad and the various officers getting ready to retire on their $65,000+/yr pensions make a nice juxtaposition to the normal malcontents.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Considering that 90% of the Navy folks in this thread are assigned to USS Backyard, having MCPON Crab Dad posting is good.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

bennyfactor posted:

Brief look on google (because I too am interested in the prospect of an "average" 60k USD house) brings up this website that has a whole section of rural Japanese houses that are sub JPY10MM (which is ~USD72k) . So it's not out of the ballpark. Kind of cool looking. Nothing to do with the Navy though.

So I just clicked this link and browsed a nice looking home.

It's 3,500,000 Yen. That's just over 25k USD. Holy poo poo. Juche wasn't lying about paperclips and pocket lint. I can sell my current place for 450k, pay off the mortgage, and still have over 200k. Now finding a job might be tougher. But drat if that isn't tempting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thronde posted:

So I just clicked this link and browsed a nice looking home.

It's 3,500,000 Yen. That's just over 25k USD. Holy poo poo. Juche wasn't lying about paperclips and pocket lint. I can sell my current place for 450k, pay off the mortgage, and still have over 200k. Now finding a job might be tougher. But drat if that isn't tempting.

I saw a nice 4000sqft farmhouse, with outbuildings, that appeared to be decently maintained with 16 square kilometers of land for a little over 200,000 USD lol. Granted I'm sure there's tons of hoops about buying a farm literally but yeah, it's a bit nuts.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Something to keep in mind about houses in Japan is that they are built with a roughly 30 year lifespan in mind, then they're expected to get torn down and a new house built in the same spot. It's possible that those houses are being sold so cheaply because they're falling apart, and really you're just paying for the land. Caveat emptor.

https://www.archdaily.com/980830/built-to-not-last-the-japanese-trend-of-replacing-homes-every-30-years

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
In the last month, a couple of my students have talked to me about the academy. One asked for a recommendation. I think he deserves it.
The other, I'm talking out of it, because he deserves better.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Crab Dad is on year 8. It's been an improbably good run so far, but there is PLENTY of time for Real Navy to come for him

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I've been having a recurring nightmare.

In it, I'm a 42 year old FC2 work center sup, just like when I got out almost 12 years ago. I'm on the same boat as before, dealing with the exact same bullshit, but a different group of idiots under me.

How do I make this stupid rear end dream go away?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I retired 13 years ago and I still have lovely stressful/anxiety dreams about my first command. All the rest of them as well, just depends what night.

I wish I could help you :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Crab Dad is on year 8. It's been an improbably good run so far, but there is PLENTY of time for Real Navy to come for him

Nah.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You need to police that mustache, shipmate.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Looks like he's outside with no cover. The horror

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

bengy81 posted:

In it, I'm a 42 year old FC2 work center sup, just like when I got out almost 12 years ago. I'm on the same boat as before, dealing with the exact same bullshit, but a different group of idiots under me.

Don't worry bb I have the same ones, normally I'm leaving for a deployment but don't have anything onboard

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

PneumonicBook posted:

Don't worry bb I have the same ones, normally I'm leaving for a deployment but don't have anything onboard

Get the gently caress out of my head. Or I can't find berthing.

Seriously, I'm glad I'm not the only one

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I’ve been ashore for over ten years and I still wake up at night thinking I have to join a boat tomorrow, my license is expired and I don’t know where my passport is.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Crab Dad posted:

Nah.

no warfare pin shame shame shame

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FrozenVent posted:

I’ve been ashore for over ten years and I still wake up at night thinking I have to join a boat tomorrow, my license is expired and I don’t know where my passport is.

You should probe yourself for referring to a cover as a "hat" in the Navy thread.

E: probe reason in Navy Thread.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bengy81 posted:

Join the army, learn to like the dreams about not being able to locate your rifle instead.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Elviscat posted:

You should probe yourself for referring to a cover as a "hat" in the Navy thread.

E: probe reason in Navy Thread.

I used to call it a hat just to trigger the Khakis. Also the QMs/ETs HATED it when I called it a map. Didn't stop me though. gently caress the police.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bengy81 posted:

It's called PTSD, friend. Therapy will help you work through trauma. It worked great for me. I no longer have the dream where I bolt awake because I don't hear the ventilation and I'm sure I'm about to suffocate underwater. Also I can't find a set of coveralls with my name on them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yo gently caress the sun off the concrete in NYC and my feet loving hurt. Hamilton is pretty awesome though!

USO tickets woo!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Go see Peter Pan Goes Wrong

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

McNally posted:

Go see Peter Pan Goes Wrong

This, holy poo poo all the Goes Wrong stuff is amazingly funny.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This, holy poo poo all the Goes Wrong stuff is amazingly funny.

Yeah I saw the main show in 2018. It was really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I saw the main show in 2018. It was really fun.

I've seen that one twice - once on tour and once a local company's show, and just about all their other stuff on streaming. We usually pick one of their Christmas themed shows and watch it after family holiday dinners. Nothing like getting Christmas-dinner-drunk and laughing until you bust a gut.