Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Kamrat posted:

I always seem to catch these guys when they're resting, I thought I saw some actual hiking there for a second and 5 minutes later they're at a rest-stop restaurant, while watching joels stream it looked like poseidon was really shuffling forward having a hard time keeping balance.

He's really the worst off in the group, joel seems unbothered by everything even dancing at the rest-stop and deepak seems fine too but poseidon is just laying down at the rest-stop.

Edit: Now he's saying he's very dizzy while laying down, I think he's feeling the effects of the climb for real, he really shouldn't push himself further and take a long rest, this isn't good

Edit 2: Seems like he's regretting pushing himself too hard, he's feeling ill, drat, this is pretty sad, he needs to go down after eating and drinking a lot, continuing up is dumb and I hope he makes the right call.

The day after resting at Namche is almost as hard as the day getting there. It's gonna be lots of resting from here on out. The body just can't get enough oxygen to sustain itself with regular breathing. He'll probably start doing better after the second rest day. The climb up from Pheriche to the Everest Memorial has rest stops every like half-k with stone benches and places for porters to drop the gear for a moment.'

Lying down? gently caress I'm 41, 265lbs and 5'11" and have been working from home with basically no exercise for the last 6 years and I never did that.

Edit: The company I went with did its summit push... Freaking crazy tense waiting on the news. https://madisonmountaineering.com/dispatches/

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The day after resting at Namche is almost as hard as the day getting there. It's gonna be lots of resting from here on out. The body just can't get enough oxygen to sustain itself with regular breathing. He'll probably start doing better after the second rest day. The climb up from Pheriche to the Everest Memorial has rest stops every like half-k with stone benches and places for porters to drop the gear for a moment.'

Lying down? gently caress I'm 41, 265lbs and 5'11" and have been working from home with basically no exercise for the last 6 years and I never did that.

Edit: The company I went with did its summit push... Freaking crazy tense waiting on the news. https://madisonmountaineering.com/dispatches/

I'm not saying it's not okay to lie down, but he keeps saying "what's wrong with me" "I'm not doing good" "I'm dizzy", All I'm saying that he needs time to recover and I hope he listens to his body instead of pushing himself too much like he's been doing. The climb is hell of the body if you're not careful, he hasn't given himself enough time to acclimatize

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Kamrat posted:

I'm not saying it's not okay to lie down, but he keeps saying "what's wrong with me" "I'm not doing good" "I'm dizzy", All I'm saying that he needs time to recover and I hope he listens to his body instead of pushing himself too much like he's been doing. The climb is hell of the body if you're not careful, he hasn't given himself enough time to acclimatize

Altitude sickness feels like a hangover. HACE feels like being drunk.

I wonder if he took Diamox along on the journey...

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Yeah now he's not eating because it makes him gag, I'm no everest expert so I don't know what he should do in this situation, going up to the next hotel might be better than going down since it's technically closer but still up, just hope he does what is best and listens to his sherpa, he's probably seen the symptoms before and knows what to do.

I don't know if hes taking altitude pills or not, since he was not prepared for this trip at all I'm guessing no

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Kamrat posted:

Edit 2: Seems like he's regretting pushing himself too hard, he's feeling ill, drat, this is pretty sad, he needs to go down after eating and drinking a lot, continuing up is dumb and I hope he makes the right call.
He's insisting on continuing up. :)

e: Now saying it's fine bro, I'm just tired.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Adjacent to this moron's live stream, I've been morbidly hooked on this Youtube channel that shares Hiking Horror stories- this one, in particular, stood out. One of the most experienced thru-hikers of the time made a bad judgment call, and paid for it in the worst way possible;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajFMKgOUZc

Another one that got to me was the story of this guy called 'Mostly Harmless' who was thru-hiking anonymously. He talked to people, had photos taken then was found, sometime later, starved to death in his tent despite having food nearby. It took a hell of a lot of effort to find his true identity, but they did in the end. It's a real sad story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfmWUtg2pg

It's a rabbit hole that this thread will probably appreciate.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Haha he just siad he's tired from taking melatonin at night.

He's one of those delusional motherfuckers that has no experience of his own limits or y'know excercise at all and just loving kids himself through everything, but somehow believes his own bullshit. The sherpas are having the most fun they've had in days it seems like

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Elukka posted:

He's insisting on continuing up. :)

e: Now saying it's fine bro, I'm just tired.

I do hope it turns out fine everything but drat he's dumb

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Kamrat posted:

Yeah now he's not eating because it makes him gag, I'm no everest expert so I don't know what he should do in this situation, going up to the next hotel might be better than going down since it's technically closer but still up, just hope he does what is best and listens to his sherpa, he's probably seen the symptoms before and knows what to do.

I don't know if hes taking altitude pills or not, since he was not prepared for this trip at all I'm guessing no

If you are feeling sick, ALWAYS GO DOWN

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Paladine_PSoT posted:

If you are feeling sick, ALWAYS GO DOWN

Yeah that's what I thought

Rondette posted:

Adjacent to this moron's live stream, I've been morbidly hooked on this Youtube channel that shares Hiking Horror stories- this one, in particular, stood out. One of the most experienced thru-hikers of the time made a bad judgment call, and paid for it in the worst way possible;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajFMKgOUZc

Another one that got to me was the story of this guy called 'Mostly Harmless' who was thru-hiking anonymously. He talked to people, had photos taken then was found, sometime later, starved to death in his tent despite having food nearby. It took a hell of a lot of effort to find his true identity, but they did in the end. It's a real sad story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYfmWUtg2pg

It's a rabbit hole that this thread will probably appreciate.

This looks awesome, something to watch later, thanks for sharing :)

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 24, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
what does thru-hiking mean?

e] oh ok, here we just call everything tramping

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 24, 2023

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

what does thru-hiking mean?

You take the whole trail instead of parts of a trail, there are some extremely long thru-hikes that spans the whole of America

This is the appalachian trail:

Pacific Crest Trail:

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 24, 2023

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Okay, now his chest hurts after just walking for a little bit and he's still pushing himself, come on dude, don't kill yourself, rest at the rest-stop for longer, take an hour or two and then go down

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
He's put that weird ambient music on his speaker that makes it seem like documentary footage and it's about to fade to black and then some text will fade in explaining how he collapsed a short time later and died, it's a good touch. And everyone else is more or less strolling around and he's shuffling like he's in the death zone.

e]lmao now he's playing lotr soundtrack I think

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 24, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Isolationist posted:

I've done the Everest base camp hike, and confirm that it's absolutely incredible - and insanely cheap. If you like the look of it, do it!

should i bring my red wagon

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

He's listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to distract himself.

Are people in his chat pushing him on, or are there voices of reason in there?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I'm watching this from Joels angle since poseidons stream-quality is pretty bad and craps out a lot more, he's also walking behind poseidon so you can see the shuffle
https://kick.com/imjoel3004

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea seems to be better quality usually too. And you see Ice walking like a sick baby giraffe

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Kamrat posted:

I'm watching this from Joels angle since poseidons stream-quality is pretty bad and craps out a lot more, he's also walking behind poseidon so you can see the shuffle

Yeah, Ice's chat says his streaming of the music is eating into the livesteaming bandwidth. Oh, man, Joel's view makes this sad. Ice is not doing well. He's not looking too sure-footed and gets pretty close to the edge dropoff.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

He's listening to the Lord of the Rings soundtrack to distract himself.

Are people in his chat pushing him on, or are there voices of reason in there?

From what I've gathered, somehow Kick is even more toxic than YouTube and twitch combined. Just look up the people who made it, who have exclusive contracts to stream there, and who are there due to being banned from other streaming sites.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/adin-ross-andrew-tate-white-supremacists-1234705845/amp/

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/xqc-admits-twitch-gambling-was-wrong-but-wont-fake-being-sorry-1941705/

https://news.yahoo.com/korean-ameri...1Yf68z9gqFVOmeH

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
God drat, this is depressing. He keeps walking next to the edge. If the edge is on the right, he shambles to the right. If the edge is on the left, he shambles to the left. He's already almost fallen backwards while just going up a step several times.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

This Joel guy is a horrible person. He's hyping his chat talking about how Ice is "like Jesus" and all this other stream lingo. Meanwhile Ice is obviously not doing well and is dangerously close to loving up.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Nah Ice has been a loud whiny obnoxious rear end in a top hat the entire time, it's only different now because he's too tired to talk. Don't feel bad for him.

e] Imean they both have terminal streamer-brain for sure

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 24, 2023

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
The only one who seems ok is Deepak but he's only been streaming for a week or so.

Edit: wth, I just clicked back on the stream and ice lost balance near the edge, he's fine but...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, this is the first I've watched this, and he said "Nah man, I'm dying already. You'll probably have to drag my corpse back." So at least he's not delusional about what's happening with himself.

Edit: And as I say this, he seems on the verge of literal collapse. I've seen more agile drunks.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
wtf, he just did it again, this time really almost falling, just after Joel told the chat not to worry about them

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Deepak now walking alongside him to physically stop him getting near the edge, so the idiot has decided to use what energy he has to run ahead.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That's getting really concerning. I don't wanna watch this guy die. He keeps nearly falling, can barely move, and then he decides to run, collapses and nearly throws up. Insists on keeping going. He's completely delusional and thinks it's just a little way to the destination where it's hours.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Dang, that last move... I think he might be trying to force a small, but relatively harmless, fall so he has a reason to get out of this.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This is a little distressing to watch now not going to lie!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Yeah, it's not fun but it's hard to look away

Edit: I really do hope everything turns out ok

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kamrat posted:

I just tuned in to seeing Ice Piss almost walk off the edge of a ledge and with a HR of 160+.... lmao

e: has he just died?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Nah Ice has been a loud whiny obnoxious rear end in a top hat the entire time, it's only different now because he's too tired to talk. Don't feel bad for him.

e] Imean they both have terminal streamer-brain for sure

Yeah, if anything this is a great object lesson in the dangers of having...I wouldn't say yes-men, but pushing people away that have the sense when to warn you you're loving up.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Honestly feels like his best odds are that he's unable to continue and has to be medevaced.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

This Joel guy is a horrible person. He's hyping his chat talking about how Ice is "like Jesus" and all this other stream lingo. Meanwhile Ice is obviously not doing well and is dangerously close to loving up.

uh Jesus died

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He's not going to fall right?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Confusedslight posted:

He's not going to fall right?

Let's hope not, even though he's an idiot he can learn his lesson without injuring himself.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

He has the sunk cost fallacy that every Everest climber gets while trying to get to the peak. Except this time it's just to get to Base Camp.

I hope he either realizes his mistake and turns around or gets to Base Camp safely and leaves quickly. but I get the feeling if he gets there he's gonna end up using valuable resources and time from the Base Camp Doctors/Medics.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

He's resting on the side of the trail right now, and he mumbled, "I seriously think if I go higher I could seriously die." And there was no sense of bravado or joking. Is he coming to his senses?

Joel meanwhile is jokingly wondering if he can spot a yeti. What a team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Quixotic1 posted:

He has the sunk cost fallacy that every Everest climber gets while trying to get to the peak. Except this time it's just to get to Base Camp.

I hope he either realizes his mistake and turns around or gets to Base Camp safely and leaves quickly. but I get the feeling if he gets there he's gonna end up using valuable resources and time from the Base Camp Doctors/Medics.
He keeps insisting he's fine while almost throwing up and collapsing. He's also got this obsession of getting to their next waypoint fast so he can rest but it's a few hours away and he doesn't seem remotely capable of doing that. I'm not holding out much hope that he comes to his senses.