Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is Warhammer 40k like League of Legends where the franchise is getting farmed out to a bunch of different developers to make titles in different genres?

Apparently I have two of Warhammer games in my library from Humble Bundles/Choice, but I know nothing about them.

Games Workshop does not believe in Brand Integrity they will seemingly give the license to anyone who pays, which is why there's a million Warhammer/WH40K games in every genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It has always been farmed out to various low budget studios. GW used to be extremely restrictive with the license which meant studios couldn't get too creative with it, and most of the older games sucked as a result (some were great though)

Ever since the Total Warhammer series where GW allowed Creative Assembly to take a lot of creative liberties and even went as far as letting them flesh out entire factions that had only ever been tangentially mentioned in lore and it turned out as a resounding success they seem more willing to let a more diverse amount of games be created with the IP so there's more now than before (or at least it seems that way)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

A tactical rpg with no character creation and a small roster of story characters is boring to me. They lost me at 'meet elvis your special boy protag blah blah'

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Harminoff posted:

I made a python script to auto sign me up for steam playtests. This is like 1/3 of what was auto approved lol

At least now I should have an excuse to not buy new games. I got plenty to comb through here and way more that could get approved.

It signed me up for 260 playtests.

Thank you for your sacrifice, may at least some of them be alright.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

haldolium posted:

lol the difficulty framing from Miasma

yeah sure its absolutely more tactical to have a bunch of RNG decide if you hit or not, 99% chance *missed*

It's weird framing for a difficulty option but I agree, because my definition of tactics involves reacting to unpredictable turns of events. I love strategy tactics games but generally don't like games with deterministic combat because it makes it feel like there's an objectively correct action to take at any given time. I'm not interested in the game though because I agree that having a limited pregen roster in a tactical strategy game sucks

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is Warhammer 40k like League of Legends where the franchise is getting farmed out to a bunch of different developers to make titles in different genres?

Apparently I have two of Warhammer games in my library from Humble Bundles/Choice, but I know nothing about them.

Ooh its been this way since the early 90s.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It's arguably way less like that now than a decade ago. 40k has a sordid history for sure but recent releases (say maybe the last 6-7 years) have been noticeably higher quality on average imo

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anno posted:

It's arguably way less like that now than a decade ago. 40k has a sordid history for sure but recent releases (say maybe the last 6-7 years) have been noticeably higher quality on average imo

While you’re mostly correct I am going to request you go look up what became of the Eisenhorn game. It’s a mobile title so it being terrible is kind of cheating but given that it’s Eisenhorn it’s kind of a bummer.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Orv posted:

While you’re mostly correct I am going to request you go look up what became of the Eisenhorn game. It’s a mobile title so it being terrible is kind of cheating but given that it’s Eisenhorn it’s kind of a bummer.

Oh for sure there's still some of the old mess in there. But the "good game" rate is maybe like 60%-70% now instead of 30%-40% lol

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah very fair

Anno
May 10, 2017

idk who decided to release *4* indie/AA games on my wishlist within like an hour of eachother but I feel like they could've spread it out more. Think I'll start with Boltgun and Planet of Lana.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Well this is rotten!!

https://twitter.com/rootsofpacha/status/1657485686466039809

The publisher's response

https://twitter.com/Crytivo/status/1657531829673508865

I had no idea this happened lol

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 24, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Anno posted:

idk who decided to release *4* indie/AA games on my wishlist within like an hour of eachother but I feel like they could've spread it out more. Think I'll start with Boltgun and Planet of Lana.
What are the other two?

Anno
May 10, 2017

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What are the other two?

CONVERGENCE and Miasma Chronicles. Also mildly interested in checking out MTG:Arena since I've heard it's a very good implementation of MTG but idk that I have the time for it right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jeeez. It's a nice little Stardew-like, too.

I can never be upset with Warhammer games, because they gave us Cylostra Direfin, the best game character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Cross posting; official PC sales figures from Sony

TLOU1 was a technical shitshow, but I honestly thought Spider-Man would have sold more by now

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Anno posted:

CONVERGENCE and Miasma Chronicles. Also mildly interested in checking out MTG:Arena since I've heard it's a very good implementation of MTG but idk that I have the time for it right now.

It's literally Magic The Gathering Online, now with a budget. Unless you want to play MTG against other people online, same rules and all, you're not missing much

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is not a Steam complaint per se, but relevant.

Long story, as a 40 year old goon, lots of life changes. Divorced, kept the house (lol bachelor mode) but my partner and her 8 year old have now moved in, so I no longer have an "office" and moved my desktop PC down to the basement with the fancy TV.

Previously I had used Steam streaming, and the Nvidia version to a Shield (the Nvidia one worked so much more reliably). It wasn't my main way to play most games, but nice to have from time to time. And it worked great!

It finally dawned on me after a few weeks that my PC is now just a few feet from the TV and I could use Big Picture mode ... holy gently caress what a pain in the rear end.

• Win11 didn't recognise my LG C1 OLED properly, and googling monitor drivers was useless.
  • Found a nice Indian YouTube video that explained I needed to use the Nvidia Control Panel to properly set it up, and specifically to scroll past the first set of resolutions until I got to "PC" mode.
  • Then I could set up GSync and HDR.
  • This is just the fault of my motherboard manufacturer, but my PS4 controller wouldn't stay synced to bluetooth beyond like 3 inches ... pretty sure that's the issue. I've had other bluetooth devices be useless with this relatively modern PC.
  • Luckily have lots of long USB-C cables, and had a PS5 controller I could plug in.
  • Holy hell getting multi-channel sound was a pill. Also Nvidia calling their multi-display mapping to one resolution "Surround" sure makes it harder to google.
  • Nvidia Control Panel tells you to use the 16-bit Windows Sound panel to setup sound. All the settings were for 2 channel except for a Dolby Atmos one which ... strangely took me to the Windows Store.
  • The Windows Store Dolby Atmos app doesn't tell you what it loving costs but that there would be "in-app purchases", but whatever, I installed it and ran it. It seemed 100% geared toward headphone surround sound, and you could have a 7 day trial or pay $19 CAD (honestly I'd be happy to if it worked as advertised, but I wasn't looking for headphone sound here)
  • Yet, after installing it, and going back to that 16-bit sound control panel ... I had an option now for Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre. Using that, my receiver now seems to be getting a surround signal from my PC.

I can't test fully/properly because the kid/partner have gone to bed, but I finally seem to be on the right track. Using the Nvidia Shield Pro "just worked!" and it was pretty good, but there was minorly perceptible lag and sometimes major macroblocking. It was way worse using Steam's built-in.

It's mostly working now, but any time a game doesn't default to full screen, or requires a secondary install or security prompt, it's basically crashed. I had better luck streaming desktop games to my office MacBook. Also I haven't figured out how to get HDR looking good on the LG C1 OLED. Games look amazing from a PS5 or Xbox X, but washed out from the PC so far. They look better on my lovely HDR 400 Dell monitor at this point.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 24, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Rinkles posted:

TLOU1 was a technical shitshow, but I honestly thought Spider-Man would have sold more by now

That feels about right to me. A lot of people already played it on PS4 or PS5, and they launched it at full price. I bet that's still pretty good. Last of Us Sales seem real bad though considering how hot the property was from the show when it launched. I guess if they keep fixing it up they can do a big sale when season 2 rolls around or something.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Interesting to see such precise numbers for TLOU. This is from a month ago so I'd assume it has reached at least 400-450K now. Fun to contrast this with ownership estimates from other services:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

teethgrinder posted:

This is not a Steam complaint per se, but relevant.

Long story, as a 40 year old goon, lots of life changes. Divorced, kept the house (lol bachelor mode) but my partner and her 8 year old have now moved in, so I no longer have an "office" and moved my desktop PC down to the basement with the fancy TV.

Previously I had used Steam streaming, and the Nvidia version to a Shield (the Nvidia one worked so much more reliably). It wasn't my main way to play most games, but nice to have from time to time. And it worked great!

It finally dawned on me after a few weeks that my PC is now just a few feet from the TV and I could use Big Picture mode ... holy gently caress what a pain in the rear end.

• Win11 didn't recognise my LG C1 OLED properly, and googling monitor drivers was useless.
  • Found a nice Indian YouTube video that explained I needed to use the Nvidia Control Panel to properly set it up, and specifically to scroll past the first set of resolutions until I got to "PC" mode.
  • Then I could set up GSync and HDR.
  • This is just the fault of my motherboard manufacturer, but my PS4 controller wouldn't stay synced to bluetooth beyond like 3 inches ... pretty sure that's the issue. I've had other bluetooth devices be useless with this relatively modern PC.
  • Luckily have lots of long USB-C cables, and had a PS5 controller I could plug in.
  • Holy hell getting multi-channel sound was a pill. Also Nvidia calling their multi-display mapping to one resolution "Surround" sure makes it harder to google.
  • Nvidia Control Panel tells you to use the 16-bit Windows Sound panel to setup sound. All the settings were for 2 channel except for a Dolby Atmos one which ... strangely took me to the Windows Store.
  • The Windows Store Dolby Atmos app doesn't tell you what it loving costs but that there would be "in-app purchases", but whatever, I installed it and ran it. It seemed 100% geared toward headphone surround sound, and you could have a 7 day trial or pay $19 CAD (honestly I'd be happy to if it worked as advertised, but I wasn't looking for headphone sound here)
  • Yet, after installing it, and going back to that 16-bit sound control panel ... I had an option now for Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre. Using that, my receiver now seems to be getting a surround signal from my PC.

I can't test fully/properly because the kid/partner have gone to bed, but I finally seem to be on the right track. Using the Nvidia Shield Pro "just worked!" and it was pretty good, but there was minorly perceptible lag and sometimes major macroblocking. It was way worse using Steam's built-in.

It's mostly working now, but any time a game doesn't default to full screen, or requires a secondary install or security prompt, it's basically crashed. I had better luck streaming desktop games to my office MacBook. Also I haven't figured out how to get HDR looking good on the LG C1 OLED. Games look amazing from a PS5 or Xbox X, but washed out from the PC so far. They look better on my lovely HDR 400 Dell monitor at this point.

HDR on the PC is kind of a pain, but it is much better in the newer Windows 11 versions than it used to be. I have a Windows 11 PC hooked up to my C2 OLED and don’t have a problem with HDR being washed out. You might check that your TV has deep color enabled for the PC HDMI input (General -> Devices -> HDMI Settings on the C2), and also run the Windows HDR calibration tool (might be a download from the MS store).

Also, just as a warning, I’ve found the Atmos for Home Theater to be a bit flakey, sometimes just blasting static and whining sounds. When that happens, I’ve had to do some mix of switching atmos off and/or rebooting to get things working again. Hasn’t happened in a while now that I think about it, maybe they fixed that?

Oh, another useful thing to know is that Win+Alt+B is a shortcut to toggle HDR.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rinkles posted:

I know I've not been hankering to buy a four-year old game at AAA full price. I could spend that money on a brand-new game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not sure what your TV is up to, but I just have my LG TV plugged into the PC through HDMI as a second monitor and haven't had any issues. I don't even bother using Big Picture because for the longest time it was just slow and unpleasant to use.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's way, way too long of a post, but I'll say I've been using an lg tv as my PC display for years now and there's absolutely no way I'll go back to a desk and monitor ever again

it is a pain in the rear end to set up properly, there are a ton of stupid technical issues you'll have to hunt down if you're running on a home theater style setup with a receiver/5.1 and gsync/freesync HDR high refresh tv

the upshot, with a good chair and properly chosen side table, you can have all the kick back and relax comfy couch* gaming you want, with either wireless mkb or controller (conveniently, a combination of PC ports and steam deck adoption has made games that don't support controller a lot less common)

so basically, worth it if you have the space, time, money, and energy to get it all humming

ironically it's probably the closest thing to older PC gaming memes in terms of annoying technical bullshit getting in the way of just gaming, most of the quirks have to do with HDMI sucking rear end, all forms of high end audio sucking rear end, and 4k + HDR + xsync being not totally universal and well supported, for fairly obvious reasons

(*chair, couch, whatever - do not skimp on a good one if you decide to switch to a home theater style seating arrangement)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What issues did you have? I use an LG C1 as my monitor, and I basically plugged it in, tweaked a few basic settings, and it's been golden ever since.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What issues did you have? I use an LG C1 as my monitor, and I basically plugged it in, tweaked a few basic settings, and it's been golden ever since.

too many to list, like I said, too long of a post to go into detail

my setup was complicated because at the time I put it together there was approximately one (1) tv that had the specs I wanted, and a bare handful of HDMI cables that could run the length I needed while having the bandwidth for 4k 120hz

it wasn't really the kind of setup you could easily ask troubleshooting questions about given how few people were running something similar - searches for solutions were typically no results or really oblique hints towards a solution

everything from tracking down why it had 1-2 frames of audio delay (yes I am absolutely that picky) to dealing with annoying sync issues that would disconnect the TV and paralyze the PC requiring a reboot (or even related issues like "how do I get this corded headset to work with this layout")

it's generally fine now, and it's probably easier to set up with today-era TVs and receivers, but I definitely dealt with annoyance some years back

worth it though, a proper HDR game running on a a giant OLED at 4k 120 in 5.1 is :swoon:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I had nothing but issues hooking my c2 up to my pc with a 3 monitor setup. It would make windows lose focus all the time and it would always have weird sync issues, was just such a hassle. I just play consoles on it now, which I'm ok with tbh.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

I also have a C1, and using it on PC was definitely a bigger issue before updating to Windows 11. HDR implementations are still all over the place on PC, but in the games where it works properly and without having to adjust multiple obscure parameters, it can look pretty awesome.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

I'm a huge fan of TLOU and I've been waiting to buy the PC port instead of the Playstation version but when it released the combination of full price and technical problems made me stay away until it's fixed. I wonder how many people like me who were set on buying it on release were discouraged by that.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

This sucks. My kneejerk reaction is to side with the devs over publishers, of course, but this situation seems a bit hosed.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

chglcu posted:

HDR on the PC is kind of a pain, but it is much better in the newer Windows 11 versions than it used to be. I have a Windows 11 PC hooked up to my C2 OLED and don’t have a problem with HDR being washed out. You might check that your TV has deep color enabled for the PC HDMI input (General -> Devices -> HDMI Settings on the C2), and also run the Windows HDR calibration tool (might be a download from the MS store).

Also, just as a warning, I’ve found the Atmos for Home Theater to be a bit flakey, sometimes just blasting static and whining sounds. When that happens, I’ve had to do some mix of switching atmos off and/or rebooting to get things working again. Hasn’t happened in a while now that I think about it, maybe they fixed that?

Oh, another useful thing to know is that Win+Alt+B is a shortcut to toggle HDR.
Thanks for this. I was too tired to mess with the calibration tool (and yes it needs to be downloaded from the store separately).

And yeah, I was getting the static + whining sounds, but I assumed that was because I was messing with the output while a game was running. Was hoping a reboot/relaunch would solve it. Can't wait for more :rolleyes:

Wiltsghost posted:

I had nothing but issues hooking my c2 up to my pc with a 3 monitor setup. It would make windows lose focus all the time and it would always have weird sync issues, was just such a hassle. I just play consoles on it now, which I'm ok with tbh.
It's glitchy for sure, and yeah I have a 3 monitor setup too.

Just annoys me that the Xbox is so good with the TV but Windows kinda blows. The Xbox is also awesome with HDMI-CEC which Sony hasn't loving figured out. But for some reason HDR/colour seems better in general on PS5. That might just be a game port issue.

edit: augh. And Steam Big Picture can set my "main" display automatically when I start it, but loving audio outputs are a goddamned mess in Win11 (and 10 iirc).

At some point Win11 let you forbid an audio output from taking dominance (i.e. it would always switch to the speaker/mic in PS4/5 controllers when you connected them) but that option seems to have vanished, and it was never reliable anyway.

And I think most games would be okay if you never launched them before Big Picture, but some are complete pieces of poo poo to configure after. Looking at you Rez Infinite.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 24, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

Weird I have my LG 42 C2 hooked up to a 3 monitor setup and I've not had any issues.

Its one hell of a gaming monitor I can say that much.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can say the Win 10/11 store official Microsoft HDR calibration tool made a hell of a difference and Destiny 2 looks amazing now.

5.1 audio seems to be working with the Dolby Atmos stuff but it's hard to find PC/Steam content dedicated to it. Rez seemed to work but was oddly quiet in the backchannels. I have it on PSN too where I felt it had more of a presence. But at least I could hear them working. (And the receiver confirmed it was receiving a 5.1 signal.)

edit:

The dumbest thing that has been happening since I added the LG C1 to my monitor chain ... never had a problem before. But now when my Win11 PC goes to sleep, it disconnects from all but my main Dell display, so I apparently have to extend desktop to each of my regular secondary monitors manually every time. Ugh!!!

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 24, 2023

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I’ve been running PC -> LGTV + surround sound for years now and yeah, it’s a huge pain in the rear end. Get used to launching mmsys.cpl every other day because Windows decided it wanted to be stereo! Why? gently caress you that’s why.

But that said, like others I’ll never go back. Giant screen + great sound + playing on a couch, nothing beats it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Win+P is a godsend for those who use a TV as a third monitor, I leave it on "Extend" to use my two main monitors as displays but when I want to use my TV to play something I Win+P and choose "Second monitor only" and it quickly disables my two monitors and enables the TV.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

I’ve been running PC -> LGTV + surround sound for years now and yeah, it’s a huge pain in the rear end. Get used to launching mmsys.cpl every other day because Windows decided it wanted to be stereo! Why? gently caress you that’s why.
Before I added the TV to the mix, it felt like Windows almost had it right with correct audio device priority. Maybe it'll average out over time, but it's a clusterfuck at the moment.

And we're back to where the consoles "just work" (until they don't. See aforementioned PS5 HDMI-CEC, gently caress you Sony.)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

explosivo posted:

Win+P is a godsend for those who use a TV as a third monitor, I leave it on "Extend" to use my two main monitors as displays but when I want to use my TV to play something I Win+P and choose "Second monitor only" and it quickly disables my two monitors and enables the TV.

Dangit, I've been trying to do this and I can't get it to work. Do you need to set up the tv as "second monitor" or something?

/edit OOOOOOOOOOOOOH I GOT IT

Windows considers "Extend" and "Second Monitor Only" as different configs altogether. I set up my two monitors for "extend" with the TV disabled and then I changed to "second monitor only" and disabled everything but the tv and it works. :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 24, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Scalding Coffee posted:

I assume you know about Cultivation Simulator, so you may want to look into https://store.steampowered.com/app/1201230/Immortal_Life/. A Harvest Moon Cultivator.

Do Immortal Life NPCs have more than one line of dialogue yet?

The farming is fine, but the world feels surprisingly hollow and empty given the central conceit that you are a member of a sect, nominally co-operating with the NPCs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I feel the need to bitch and moan about Boltgun a little bit.

-Most of the music sucks.
-AV feedback for taking 5 damage and 100 damage is exactly the same, and barely noticeable.
-Lots of the big fights have a damage boost or infinite ammo powerup, but it's always a secret and you have to ignore the fight while you search for it. That is Dumb. Put the fun powerup right at the entrance and balance the fight accordingly. Make all the secrets non-timed bonuses like special bolt mags, machine spirits, or new gun's a few levels early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Imagine my face when it's not Boltthrower making the soundtrack for Boltgun.