Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah we adopted our Great Dane puppy via pet finder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Myself and my partner have always been around dogs as family animals and have finally taken the plunge to get our own pup!..

We ended up getting a Old English Bulldog as the breed fits our lifestyle really well, but she's only going to be 8 weeks old when we pick her up, we decided to get a pup from a breeder so we could be sure about not enforcing bad breeding and health issues, which is also why we got a OEB from a reputable breeder than than just a generic English bulldog as don't agree with how poor their health is and their short lifespan.

I've quite literally spent the last 3 weeks in full time puppy/dog researching etc to make sure we can do as much right as possible but I'm sure we are still going to end up loving stuff up and god knows it's going to be rough for the first few months but we are well excited.. don't really have too much to add to the thread at the moment as we don't pick her up till Thursday, but yeah, really excited and also a little apprehensive and anxious too but i put that down to wanting to just be as responsible as possible..

Does anyone else here have an Old English Bulldog?..

Also, I'm sure I need to pay the puppy tax:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

LochNessMonster posted:

Which leads to my question, what’s a good amount of time to start looking for a new dog, is a month too soon?

Our last dog had cancer so we knew what was coming and tried to get a new one for some overlap - the rationale being new would learn a bit from old and pick up some traits. What we didn't know was the overlap would only be three days.

Aside from anything else, having a puppy provided an impetus for us to keep going, something we had to do, and we both found that helpful.

LochNessMonster posted:

No more happy greets when you come home.

And our new boy can't even be bothered coming downstairs when we get home. I'm glad of it, to me it suggests he doesn't have separation anxiety.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

And our new boy can't even be bothered coming downstairs when we get home. I'm glad of it, to me it suggests he doesn't have separation anxiety.

You sure it's not a cat?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My dog greets me at the door just long enough to verify that I'm not an intruder, then he runs off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Any hot tips for keeping the dog off our bed when we aren’t home? Closing the door isn’t an option since we have two cats.

Also the dog sleeps in her bed in our room.

She absolutely knows not to go on the bed when we aren’t home but when we leave…

It’s not a big issue for me but it irritates my wife to no end.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Have you tried a child gate?.. cats can easily jump over it. Depends on your dog breed though I guess.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 21, 2023

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
If it's a big dog breed you can get a pet gate with a car door in it, or install a car door in the bedroom door. Otherwise maybe get some raisers for the bed?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater went deaf early this year and doesn’t know when I get home anymore :(

At least he doesn’t lose his poo poo when the doorbell rings.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Tayter Swift posted:

At least he doesn’t lose his poo poo when the doorbell rings.

It’s one of the things that annoyed me the most and ironically it’s what I miss the most.

Wasn’t far off when I jokingly said my wife probably already has a breeder on speed dial. Looks like we’re getting a pup sooner rather than later.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Alucard posted:

If it's a big dog breed you can get a pet gate with a car door in it, or install a car door in the bedroom door. Otherwise maybe get some raisers for the bed?

Yeah gonna look into the baby gate idea. She’s a Great Dane so even raising the bed probably wouldn’t work.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Where are you? If you're DC area I have a tall baby gate with a pet door that you can have. If not, here's the model - https://carlsonpetproducts.com/products/extra-tall-pet-gate-with-slide-handle

Alucard fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 21, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i've been keeping an eye on my local pet rescue because i think iris would benefit from having a neurotic little terrier to whip her into shape, but it's too depressing to check more than once a week. last time i checked there were two purebred maremmas :psyduck: and like six pure shepherds / first gen crosses. plus a dozen pit mixes and 80+ cats :( very few small/medium dogs - it's obvious how much of it is just down to the price of dog food (i can't consider another big dog for that reason)

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Dog tax

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Today on our walk brisket sniffed another dog through the fence only to pee on her fence after she walked away. Then two houses later saw his enemy lying on the lawn and stared her down while taking a poo poo and getting barked at.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Does anyone here clean their dogs ears? Mine had some bad allergy ear infections this time last year and I’m feeling kinda nervous about it happening again and was wondering if clearing ears once a week would be beneficial. My vet said messing with cleaners would just as likely cause an infection rather than prevent it but I wonder if people here think differently. We have her on cytopoint this year for allergies which prevents her from itching but will that stop the irritation in her ears from getting infected?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

hatty posted:

Does anyone here clean their dogs ears? Mine had some bad allergy ear infections this time last year and I’m feeling kinda nervous about it happening again and was wondering if clearing ears once a week would be beneficial. My vet said messing with cleaners would just as likely cause an infection rather than prevent it but I wonder if people here think differently. We have her on cytopoint this year for allergies which prevents her from itching but will that stop the irritation in her ears from getting infected?

We have wipes we use on brisket and aren't afraid to have the vet clean his ears when he keeps scratching inside them

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

Dogs ear canals are L shaped so you can actually shove a q-tip down in there and see if there is any wax build up.

Also if the ears start to smell like freeto lay chips they probably need a cleaning.

My dog has big flappy ears and needs a cleaning every few weeks (even if just a light one) so it largely depends on the ears.

Our vet told us a regular ear cleaning will absolutely help with infections but just be mindful on the type of drops you use for the cleaning.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
She has big corgi ears so it’s easy to tell if an ear is bothering her and it isn’t yet, there’s no redness or anything either but there small amount of yellow wax in there which might be normal I’m not really sure. I’d rather the vet clean them but I’m afraid that he’d want to do the full flush with anesthesia and cost me $650 again just because I’m a little jumpy. I’m pretty nervous about putting a qtip in there tbh. God I hate allergy season

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

She has big corgi ears so it’s easy to tell if an ear is bothering her and it isn’t yet, there’s no redness or anything either but there small amount of yellow wax in there which might be normal I’m not really sure. I’d rather the vet clean them but I’m afraid that he’d want to do the full flush with anesthesia and cost me $650 again just because I’m a little jumpy. I’m pretty nervous about putting a qtip in there tbh. God I hate allergy season

Fwiw I have a vet tech that comes to my house and does it for $20. She’s taught us how to do it but I’d rather just give her $20 to do it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe I'll talk to the tech when I go there next and have them do it real quick. I'm there often enough what with her quarterly steroid shots and monthly allergy shot from May to September, maybe they'll cut me some slack and do it for free!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

hatty posted:

Maybe I'll talk to the tech when I go there next and have them do it real quick. I'm there often enough what with her quarterly steroid shots and monthly allergy shot from May to September, maybe they'll cut me some slack and do it for free!

Holy crap that sounds expensive. I'm sure it's all well worth it and I'd absolutely do the same but my god, when you read that and the previous about $650 for ear cleaning...

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Also if the ears start to smell like freeto lay chips they probably need a cleaning.

Yeah, they do actually smell a little like chips when they're dirty. What the heck.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Holy crap that sounds expensive. I'm sure it's all well worth it and I'd absolutely do the same but my god, when you read that and the previous about $650 for ear cleaning...

Yeah to see if she had and inner ear infection he had to knock her out, shave her ear, flush the whole canal and analyze the goo within. So that was $650 for the operation then $40 a week for five weeks to insert antibiotic goo. He did this in one ear at a time so in the middle of treating one ear the other one was showing signs of infection so I had it pay $650 again three weeks after the first one. It was terrible luckily I was able to sell some valuables or else I might’ve been out on the street lol

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why are dogs so hosed up. I mean what the gently caress

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

We have been very happy with our 5ish month old puppy's behavior so far. However, a few issues are popping up: He stopped pooping in the designated area outside after successfully doing so for 2 weeks straight, but really I'm just stoked he doesn't poop inside.

He also gets overly excited and nips at the kids when playing, but from my understanding that's just a puppy playing- but now we are throwing a wrench into the mix- we've gotten a 9 week old kitten. I'm afraid he's going to get too rough with tiny kitten. Any tips for introducing the two? We've kept the kitten upstairs with a gate on the steps so far to keep them separated, as the puppy is a big boy (pit/husky mix).

We've brought down the kitty once and the dog got really excited, obviously, while the cat tensed up and started hissing. I then took the cat upstairs. Should I keep them separated? I forgot to mention that our pup's foster parents had a cat that he got along with, but he was really little then too.

I'd appreciate any tips on introducing a new cat to a mostly well behaved big puppy!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

When we got our 7 month old puppy, she nips and mouths of course. We learned the inhibition training, where if she nips too hard, you shout or make a loud noise like OUCH, and she learns how hard she can nip. She learned this in under two days.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
I had a mouthy corgi pup and I sprayed bitter apple on my lower pants legs so she'd stop bite-herding me...I guess I could have tried it on my hands and arms haha

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

alg posted:

We lost our 15yo dog in April. We were going to take awhile and look for a new dog. We both WFH and so we had the same experience, plus sitting at home all day with no dog.

My wife's family member reached out to us the same week. She is an American Eskimo breeder and had a dog returned to her because the owner died suddenly. She wanted to know if we wanted her. She checked almost all our boxes, and was really a unique dog. We saw some pictures and videos, and we thought about it awhile, and I decided that it doesn't matter how long we wait to get a new dog. Our old dog is still with us in our memories, in all the pictures on the walls, in her paw print and her ashes. We decided to take in the new dog 2 weeks after our old dog passed. It was the right choice, for sure. We bonded with the new dog quickly and we still think / talk about our old dog with her, almost like she was her older sister.

Put down my 18 year old Texas Heeler in March of 21. We call him our new dog's older brother, and how he's away at College at UC-Barkley

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Tayter Swift posted:

Why are dogs so hosed up. I mean what the gently caress

Have you considered they we're the ones who are hosed up?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alucard posted:

Have you considered they we're the ones who are hosed up?

Ah, the Horpsborks.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Put down my 18 year old Texas Heeler in March of 21. We call him our new dog's older brother, and how he's away at College at UC-Barkley

We regale Kepler with tales of his Uncle Ahboo, who passed about a year before we got him..

"Your uncle was blind and deaf but could still snatch a thrown cookie out of the air."

"Your uncle used to escape and go down to the river and get covered in twigs and thorns and ticks."

"Why can't you poop when we let you out like your uncle did???"

Keeps the old ones alive in our memories.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

StrixNebulosa posted:

today, in things I am SO glad my dog doesn't do....

Yeah, same. Probably because the balls we use to play fetch are too large for her to get her grabby mouth entirely around.

alg posted:

When we got our 7 month old puppy, she nips and mouths of course. We learned the inhibition training, where if she nips too hard, you shout or make a loud noise like OUCH, and she learns how hard she can nip. She learned this in under two days.

Not to naysay but mileage may vary with that one - our puppy found us yelping/screaming exciting, even when we were doing it legitimately out of pain, and decided to do it more. It got to the point I was reluctant to touch her. The final straw was when I fell over and she bit me all the way down and kept biting that I called a dog trainer out to help us with that when she was 13 weeks old.

She's very gentle-mouthed now, but it took a lot of work, and back then I thought getting her had been a terrible mistake.

Speaking of our blessed gremlin... Dogs. Not even once. Holly had an upset tummy the other night so I was up all night letting her in and out to do her vile business and comforting her coz her cries for us were utterly heartbreaking. I had to clean up and hose down the yard twice yesterday, and after that even I was feeling a bit unwell, good lord.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i got lucky with iris because she was raised to fourteen weeks by her mum and her grandma, and bite control is something they had already taught her by the time she came to me. it turns out teaching the kids to bite safely is a big priority in a cattledog family, especially when there's ten of them. she's mouthy when playing, which is a breed thing, but she very rarely hurts me. her paws are actually a lot more dangerous than her mouth, she doesn't seem to realise they're pointy too!

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 25, 2023

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, so we picked up Freya today. She's adorable as hell and fitting straight in. She's been so chill and relaxed moving house and meeting so many new people on the trip home.

She is a pooping machine though! One meal in and she's crapped all over the kitchen twice already lol.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Does anyone have experience/insight into homemade dog meals? My 3 years old is getting Kirkland chow twice a day and I was thinking of replacing one meal with some chicken breast, plain rice, and diced carrots/peas. I can do the math on his caloric intake pretty easily and figure I could whip up a week's worth to portion and freeze each weekend. My coworker swears by it, but I don't want to radically change the pup's diet without a second opinion.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Riatsala posted:

Does anyone have experience/insight into homemade dog meals? My 3 years old is getting Kirkland chow twice a day and I was thinking of replacing one meal with some chicken breast, plain rice, and diced carrots/peas. I can do the math on his caloric intake pretty easily and figure I could whip up a week's worth to portion and freeze each weekend. My coworker swears by it, but I don't want to radically change the pup's diet without a second opinion.

Don't listen to by any means as I don't have much experience with it but I've researched it massively for several months now, what I would say, is perhaps look up the dog nutrition guy on YouTube as he comes well recommended and is exceptionally professional/explains everything. He has some very good reviews on various dog foods and what his opinion is on raw feeding etc along with the best composition in his opinion and why he chose the things he did.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If you want to home cook for your dogs make sure it's balanced or a very small proportion of their total diet. You can find balanced homecooked recipes online or through services like this which will tell you what supplements a meal needs to make it balanced: https://balance.it/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Riatsala posted:

I cooked for my dog who had kidney problems for a couple of years before she passed in 2012. We ended up seeing a veterinary nutritionist who figured out the quantities and what to look out for with supplements. She was on a lower protein diet but I basically made rice, chicken thigh, broccoli, and sweet potato or yam (with some skin) every week or so and I'd portion it out over the week. The main things the nutritionist was useful for was in figuring out the caloric intake and quantities to feed her, and also having me add stuff that she needed. Unfortunately our dog didn't like the multivitamin powder you can add on top of what you feed them, but she had me add a little salt with iodine, for the iodine, some taurine powder since dogs need it, and a little canola oil mostly for taste but also because dogs need a little fat (although the chicken thighs are a bit fatty).

Since dogs vary a lot in size and nutritional requirements it may be worth seeing if you have a vet that specializes in that nearby. I'm sure they won't be that cheap because they're specialists but consulting with one may be worthwhile.

She was a very good dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket has strong thoughts on our country

:d2a: