Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
Renovations or no, silverfish love apartment buildings. Vacuum a lot and apparently cedar oil repels them, though I haven't tried it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

They're just lil guys!

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
They actually do eat other insects and spiders, they're not the worst thing to find in your place if it's only one every once in a while. Still kinda nasty though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Miles Blundell posted:

They actually do eat other insects and spiders, they're not the worst thing to find in your place if it's only one every once in a while. Still kinda nasty though.

if you have books, silverfish will gently caress them up

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've started subconsciously clenching my jaw lately. Apparently this can be a side effect of some anti-depressants I take and/or it might be caused my terrible posture and tight neck muscles. I've started wearing a mouth guard at night and that seems to help, but does anyone have any tips to help me stop myself from doing this during the day when a mouth guard isn't really practical? Or stretches?
From personal experience, the tight neck muscles are caused by the ssri to begin with. Which can exacerbate bad posture in turn. I was on citalopram for over five years, thinking all the neck misery was caused by whiplash a few years before I started taking it. Nope. I couldn't physically relax my muscles for all the time I took them. I've had physical therapists massage me and other therapists look at the mental side, all, in effect, distracting me from the root cause. Trying another ssri after a long break and having it all come back within a week is what made the penny drop. No one bothered to tell me.

If you're not in an acute situation and you have an ok support situation, I recommend talking to a doctor or psychiatrist about changing to medication from another category.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

I’m looking for perhaps something unusual. I want tent that is light-tight—that is, the interior is completely dark no matter how sunny it is—that can comfortably seat ten to fifteen people.

I was to run a small silent film festival at the fair. (There is precedent for it. Before the first purpose-built cinema was erected in town in 1912, films were shown in tents on the fairgrounds.)

Maybe this coming 181st fair, maybe next year's 182nd fair, but it’s something I’ve always wished to do. Now that I have some festivals under my belt, I feel like I know how to carry it out, saving the tent issue..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Flipperwaldt posted:

From personal experience, the tight neck muscles are caused by the ssri to begin with. Which can exacerbate bad posture in turn. I was on citalopram for over five years, thinking all the neck misery was caused by whiplash a few years before I started taking it. Nope. I couldn't physically relax my muscles for all the time I took them. I've had physical therapists massage me and other therapists look at the mental side, all, in effect, distracting me from the root cause. Trying another ssri after a long break and having it all come back within a week is what made the penny drop. No one bothered to tell me.

If you're not in an acute situation and you have an ok support situation, I recommend talking to a doctor or psychiatrist about changing to medication from another category.

Well the tight neck muscles predate the SSRI, so I’m not sure I can blame it for that part. It’s the jaw clenching which is relatively new, and started since I started Wellbutrin. I think I used to grind my teeth at night before I started that, but I didn’t notice the jaw clenching during the day, though it may just be that I’m paying more attention to it now since I first noticed it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Well the tight neck muscles predate the SSRI, so I’m not sure I can blame it for that part. It’s the jaw clenching which is relatively new, and started since I started Wellbutrin. I think I used to grind my teeth at night before I started that, but I didn’t notice the jaw clenching during the day, though it may just be that I’m paying more attention to it now since I first noticed it.
Yeah I'm not here to sell it to you, I just bring it up in case you'd have gone 'it me'.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ortho posted:

I’m looking for perhaps something unusual. I want tent that is light-tight—that is, the interior is completely dark no matter how sunny it is—that can comfortably seat ten to fifteen people.

I was to run a small silent film festival at the fair. (There is precedent for it. Before the first purpose-built cinema was erected in town in 1912, films were shown in tents on the fairgrounds.)

Maybe this coming 181st fair, maybe next year's 182nd fair, but it’s something I’ve always wished to do. Now that I have some festivals under my belt, I feel like I know how to carry it out, saving the tent issue..

You want a canvas tent, modern tents are made lightweight and tend to be thin nylon or similar materials, and they let light through pretty well, this also makes them breathe better so they aren't swelteringly hot. Get yourself an old canvas tent like an army tent - some of them can be quite large but they may be annoying to set up.

https://www.canvascamp.com/en_us/canvas-tents

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I have to get one wisdom tooth removed, maybe more.
I also have a deviated septum that I'd like to get fixed.

I've heard you can organise to get both of these done in one go; beyond just talking to the practitioners involved, is there anything else required to organise this kind of thing?
Do they need to be 'affiliated' with the same hospital or something?
In Australia if that changes anything.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've started subconsciously clenching my jaw lately. Apparently this can be a side effect of some anti-depressants I take

You know, this has been happening to me recently and I've been on the medication for so long I'd forgotten that was a side effect as it hadn't kicked in until recenty. So thanks for answering a question I hadn't thought to ask.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Qubee posted:

I've got a stack of moving boxes in an empty bedroom that have been sat there for a year, untouched. I also have some curtain drapes that I've just left massed in the corner of said room. I was looking through those moving boxes to see if I'd forgotten anything, and a whole bunch of what I assume are silverfish came crawling about everywhere.

Where did they come from? I live on the 4th floor of a recently renovated apartment building. Is it possible there were eggs in the cardboard boxes already and they just hatched? How can I naturally get rid of them, as I don't want to use anything that could harm my budgies. They're gross but harmless and I don't know if they'll spread throughout my tiled apartment or if they're just gonna stick to their cardboard box corner.

They're not too bad, just keep your distance and hit them with your nail when they jump at you. It does take a fair few swings if you haven't upgraded your nail, but the geo is pretty good.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How did the US end up as a nation of coffee drinkers instead of tea drinkers like the British? Proximity to South America?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

How did the US end up as a nation of coffee drinkers instead of tea drinkers like the British? Proximity to South America?

I thought they threw it all into the sea or something

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone have a link to the old "ask me about micropenis. Seriously." thread in the archives?
I need to educate a fellow goon on forums history.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

I thought they threw it all into the sea or something

This sounds fake, but yeah it’s a contributing factor.

quote:

I believe I forgot to tell you one Anecdote: When I first came to this House it was late in the Afternoon, and I had ridden 35 miles at least. “Madam” said I to Mrs. Huston, “is it lawfull for a weary Traveller to refresh himself with a Dish of Tea provided it has been honestly smuggled, or paid no Duties?”

“No sir, said she, we have renounced all Tea in this Place. I cant make Tea, but I’le make you Coffee.”

Accordingly I have drank Coffee every Afternoon since, and have borne it very well. Tea must be universally renounced. I must be weaned, and the sooner, the better.

—John Adams to Abigail Adams, July 6 1774

Side note, well played by the coffee merchants that got America hooked. America has a native caffeinated plant and it’s pretty good: yaupon holly, relative of yerba mate. It grows like a weed along most of the East and Gulf Coasts.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
What is it called when multiple words together sound like one word?

e.g. 'Trance and Dental' or 'Why err less'

edit - welp, it's an oronym

Nowher fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 25, 2023

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Captain Monkey posted:

You want a canvas tent, modern tents are made lightweight and tend to be thin nylon or similar materials, and they let light through pretty well, this also makes them breathe better so they aren't swelteringly hot. Get yourself an old canvas tent like an army tent - some of them can be quite large but they may be annoying to set up.

https://www.canvascamp.com/en_us/canvas-tents

That is very good advice, and period-appropriate too, thank you. I can’t seem to find any canvas tents without windows, though. I will keep looking, and if I still can’t find one, I’ll try my hand at sewing one myself.

Another question, are there any good ways of removing scratches from glass? It’s a domed window on the face of a mantel clock that was knocked down and acquired a light but noticeable scratch across the high part. It needn’t be a do-it-yourself method, although it can. I’d be willing to send it to some professional.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

A bit of modern coffee culture is from the navy as well, in 1913 the head of the US navy banned alcohol on ships (many other navies still have a rum ration, Canada included afaik). His name was Joe so that’s probably why it’s called a cup of joe.

However, you can imagine how that might leave an impression after two world wars.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Ortho posted:

That is very good advice, and period-appropriate too, thank you. I can’t seem to find any canvas tents without windows, though. I will keep looking, and if I still can’t find one, I’ll try my hand at sewing one myself.

Another question, are there any good ways of removing scratches from glass? It’s a domed window on the face of a mantel clock that was knocked down and acquired a light but noticeable scratch across the high part. It needn’t be a do-it-yourself method, although it can. I’d be willing to send it to some professional.

I do a bunch of work on aquariums so this is kinda my jam

It depends entirely on how deep the scratch is, if it's a barely noticeable surface scuff you can use a baking-soda toothpaste to gently abrade the surface back to level

If it's a little deeper, go to your local hardware store and buy a glass polishing paste that has cerium oxide in it, and buff the scratch out with a superfine steel wool pad

If that doesn't do it, you may have to send it to professional repair, where they essentially fill in the damage with a polymer and then polish it all to match

You can also cheat with clear nail polish, but I personally think it looks like trash when you do it that way

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

postmodifier posted:

I do a bunch of work on aquariums so this is kinda my jam

It depends entirely on how deep the scratch is, if it's a barely noticeable surface scuff you can use a baking-soda toothpaste to gently abrade the surface back to level

If it's a little deeper, go to your local hardware store and buy a glass polishing paste that has cerium oxide in it, and buff the scratch out with a superfine steel wool pad

If that doesn't do it, you may have to send it to professional repair, where they essentially fill in the damage with a polymer and then polish it all to match

You can also cheat with clear nail polish, but I personally think it looks like trash when you do it that way

I'm reminded of a windshield repair kit I used once, to fix a small divot in my car's windshield. As I recall, it basically involved slightly over-filling the damaged area with some kind of epoxy, then using a small plunger device to pull a vacuum, so that there wouldn't be any bubbles in the epoxy. It finished clear enough that I couldn't see the damaged area any more, though I don't recall if it remained flat.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

tuyop posted:

(many other navies still have a rum ration, Canada included afaik)
Sadly no, Canada ended the rum ratio in 1972. Off-duty (but on-ship) consumption was allowed up until 2014 though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

Sadly no, Canada ended the rum ratio in 1972. Off-duty (but on-ship) consumption was allowed up until 2014 though.

Ah, I stand corrected. I didn’t know ships went dry in 2014, though. That must seriously reduce accidents and piss everyone off.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Ah, I stand corrected. I didn’t know ships went dry in 2014, though. That must seriously reduce accidents and piss everyone off.

No, they stopped being pissed

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How can you have fun with Sodomy and the Lash if there's no rum??? :ohdear:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's a good name brand for a rock climbing helmet? Anyone here have any experience?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

What's a good name brand for a rock climbing helmet? Anyone here have any experience?

Not a rock climber, but the riggers in my industry almost exclusively wear Petzl climber's helmets. I'd say the rest wear Black Diamond. Probably the mot common is the Petzl Vertex Vent which is actually designed as a worker's climbing helmet and is compatible with all sorts of accessories.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

We have a climbing thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567&pagenumber=237&perpage=40

But just get a Black Diamond half dome (or the equivalent from a company like petzl, edelrid, Mammut or camp) if it's your first climbing helmet. You don't need anything too fancy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok i've had this stupid thing in my head off and on for a while, is this from anything?

it's an old woman saying "flor-i-da... flor-i-da... why do people keep calling me that?" or something similar

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

actionjackson posted:

ok i've had this stupid thing in my head off and on for a while, is this from anything?

it's an old woman saying "flor-i-da... flor-i-da... why do people keep calling me that?" or something similar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBUw-irQOLE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ironhead posted:

Not a rock climber, but the riggers in my industry almost exclusively wear Petzl climber's helmets. I'd say the rest wear Black Diamond. Probably the mot common is the Petzl Vertex Vent which is actually designed as a worker's climbing helmet and is compatible with all sorts of accessories.

Slimy Hog posted:

We have a climbing thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522567&pagenumber=237&perpage=40

But just get a Black Diamond half dome (or the equivalent from a company like petzl, edelrid, Mammut or camp) if it's your first climbing helmet. You don't need anything too fancy.

Thank you!

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I've got a phone with no headphone jack, just usb-c (pixel 6a). With usb-c headphones, the little dongles and normal headphones, or a usb-c to aux thing in my car, I get regular disconnections. Like every 15 minutes I need to wiggle it around to reconnect.

Is this just a me thing? I had the same issue with my previous phone. If I buy higher-end headphones or dongles is it less likely? (I know about Bluetooth, it works ok but then there are other issues)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would wonder if something in the way you are carrying/using your phone is putting too much stress on the usb-c port. They often have kinda lovely soldering so it doesn't take much.

For example my last phone's usb-c had the same wiggle issue x 10 and I'm pretty sure it's because I was cramming it in my jacket pocket while bicycling and listening to podcasts. The cable would get pulled to the side hard when taking it in and out of the pocket.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I just a few minutes ago picked out all the pocket lint from my USB C on my phone with a tiny safety pin. I'd been having a problem with the charger popping out way too easy and my phone never charging. Now it locks in well enough I can pick up my phone by the cord. Compressed air wasn't strong enough to blow the crud out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Don't poke in the port with anything electrically conductive.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I never had direct connection from my phone to my car's sound system work correctly.

I had to buy a bluetooth dongle and connect to that with my phone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flipperwaldt posted:

Don't poke in the port with anything electrically conductive.

Also anything hard enough to scratch the contacts.

Use a toothpick.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Edit: I am incapable of writing short posts.
TL;DR Anyone have experience with dislocated ribs?

I was manually lifting a large garage bay door at work (imagine what you see at the auto shop) and my back went POP, I experienced a flash of pain, yelled "gently caress" so loud you could probably hear it 3 counties over, and went to the urgent care.

Turns out I dislocated 2 ribs. X-ray showed no fractures, but you can poke them and they pop back and forth like the Hasbro Pop-o-Matic bubble.

The doc-in-a-box suggested I go get them popped back in by a chiropractor. I've read enough (a good deal thanks to these forums) to have a strong feeling that chiros are dangerous money grubbing quacks. The idea an actual medical professional would recommend that really shocked me, honestly.

Anyone else had dislocated ribs, and where did you go to get them popped in? I'm on Medicaid and don't have a PCP. I'm strongly against going to the ER because it's not an emergency.

Or did you just live with them? The pain is going away thanks to a few days off work and they aren't really bothering me. The docs who saw me seemed real casual about "yeah, you could go to a chiropractor and get them popped in", not "get to someone right now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The only advice I can give (from cracked and bruised ribs) is take lots of painkillers, remember to breathe deep and cough normally. Too much shallow breathing and you can end up with a gnarly wet cough and if you're real unlucky, pneumonia.

Some insurance providers seem to want to push folks toward chiropractors. Wouldn't surprise me if some US states also spend medicaid money on them.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 28, 2023