Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I can't stop laughing at this

in a way, I appreciate players leaning hard into being heels -- but also, gently caress this guy, give him 3+

I wish more players would honestly, it would be fun. Benn saying "I'm sorry his neck got in my stick's way" reminds me of Charles Barkley at a hearing after throwing some jackass through a window in a bar fight, telling the judge who asked him if he had any regrets, "Yeah, I regret we weren't on a higher floor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MJeff posted:

Uhhhh, yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4PoDrqv-E

He gets his bell rung and then just cross checks the poo poo out of a linesman. Wow.

If Wideman did have hot brain, I guess ref jerseys and Nashville kinda look the same

Also lol at Nashville #53 on the bench

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Was Dennis Wideman also the Blues defenseman who infamously crashed head first into the boards/cameraman?

Or was that someone else

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Was Dennis Wideman also the Blues defenseman who infamously crashed head first into the boards/cameraman?

Or was that someone else

That was Colaiacovo.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Ginette Reno posted:

Or was that someone else

Carlo Colaiacovo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

Carlo Colaiacovo.

Never gets old

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Pungry posted:

Carlo Colaiacovo.

Lmao poo poo gets me every time

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Good grief, I've been spending all morning wondering whether that Benn quote was real or or not.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/37721319/stars-jamie-benn-game-3-misconduct-due-unfortunate-play

quote:

"Obviously, didn't want to take a five-minute penalty, but when the game happens fast, emotions are high. Obviously I would've liked to not fall on him and I guess use my stick as the landing point," he said.

Give him 20 games for this lame response.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs N/V: Obviously

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

dew worm posted:

ESPN crew going to bat for Benn last night was insane
Chelios was a POS on the ice himself so color me shocked

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Schremp Howard posted:

“Oh, yes. Believe me, my god, if I could turn back the clock on my Stone cross checking, I would certainly, reconsider it.

Lol perfect

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lmao. That can't be a real quote. You could show the video and I'd tell you it's a deep fake.

Edit: this is one of those David Guest movies? Like Spinal Tap?

deoju fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 24, 2023

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

deoju posted:

Lmao. That can't be a real quote. You could show the video and I'd tell you it's a deep fake.

Edit: this is one of those David Guest movies? Like Spinal Tap?

I've been thinking the same all morning until I saw confirmation. I thought it absolutely had to be a troll.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
odds on Benn chucking a Truly from the press box when they get swept in Game 4?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1661480054566846466?t=BNditoc5TWRjhBPuQdJ-vQ&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow two games for falling on a guy and landing on your stick harsh

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That’s crazy. If Vegas wins the next game, does that carry over into next season?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That’s crazy. If Vegas wins the next game, does that carry over into next season?
Yes

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Not that I think it's the wrong call necessarily, but getting two games for that when Pietrangelo got one for that slash seems odd

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Intentionally cross checking a guys jaw into the ice while he’s down because you’re angry is a 2 game suspension eh?

I love how much this league hates Michael Bunting, I support it fully

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Intentionally cross checking a guys jaw into the ice while he’s down because you’re angry is a 2 game suspension eh?

Well you see, Bunting frequently makes a big scene on the ice about the refs on national tv, which is simply worse than intentionally attempting mortal harm on a person

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Dirty Burger posted:

Yeah the Bunting suspension looks more and more odd with each passing Player Safety decree.

Maybe he was just a complete asshat during the meeting?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Bunting knocked a guy out of an entire series. Like it or not the panel views injuries as a higher punishment opportunity. Stone not missing any time saved Benn from a longer suspension.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wonderllama posted:

Bunting knocked a guy out of an entire series. Like it or not the panel views injuries as a higher punishment opportunity. Stone not missing any time saved Benn from a longer suspension.

Hello I'm Joe Pavelski and I find this logic questionable at best.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Wonderllama posted:

Right which is why Cale Makar got 4 games for the hit on McCann

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I love how the talk about suspensions is like trying to read anything on HFBoards.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

Well you see, Bunting frequently makes a big scene on the ice about the refs on national tv, which is simply worse than intentionally attempting mortal harm on a person

Questioning officiating can bring the game into disrepute and we can't have that.

Edit: Mike Dean is still a cheat and Wenger was right.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

remember when tyler dellow posted all those Colin Campbell emails that revealed the league is fully corrupt and individual grudges matter more than on-ice facts and that nobody in the league office cares about you unless you're their literal actual son? remember that event from 13 years ago?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Not that I think it's the wrong call necessarily, but getting two games for that when Pietrangelo got one for that slash seems odd

It was silly that Pietrangelo only got one.

But really, never try to make sense of the NHL Wheel of Justice. There is no consistency, nor any hope of being consistent. All we can do is be happy when it feels right, then clear our minds for the next one.

Two games is fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should have been 2 for the hit and 1 for the absurd explanation.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

remember when tyler dellow posted all those Colin Campbell emails that revealed the league is fully corrupt and individual grudges matter more than on-ice facts and that nobody in the league office cares about you unless you're their literal actual son? remember that event from 13 years ago?

Remember when Brendan Shanahan tried to bring logic and consistency to suspensions and the owners got so mad about it he jumped ship to the Leafs and the league immediately went back to the “standard” we have now

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

There is no logic to suspensions but the second game is definitely because Benn’s response wasn’t in line with being a good hockey-culture-Captain

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

Remember when Brendan Shanahan tried to bring logic and consistency to suspensions and the owners got so mad about it he jumped ship to the Leafs and the league immediately went back to the “standard” we have now

I remember Shanahan being anything but consistent and logical about it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

It's lovely but a legendary response to that question. Coulda killed a guy and he just passive voice dunked it.

So loving disappointed in Benn probably burning the season on the worst possible penalty at the worst possible time.

There been any reverse sweeps in the conference finals?

Go Stars.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
shut the gently caress UP about the leafs

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

heehee posted:

shut the gently caress UP about the leafs

they be "leaf"ing the playoffs with no cup :xd:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cocaine Bear posted:

There been any reverse sweeps in the conference finals?

Go Stars.

There was actually a factoid about that before the Canes/Cats game 4.

The answer is no. :smith:

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

MJeff posted:

Mennoknight every time I see your avatar, I think of how the Calgary Flames signed Dennis Wideman, who was generally thought of as one of the better defensemen in that free agent class, and some publication, I dunno who, ran the headline WIDE MAN SIGNS WIDEMAN for like two minutes and then took it down.

that's a lot better than the memories I have of Jay Feaster, the man who traded away my favourite human being of all time for loving Ben Hanowski

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It's genuinely hilarious.

Okay, your team is down 2 games. But you now have 2 games at home. All you have to do is win your home games.

And your team is down 1-0 in the current game. But there is 58 minutes to go. Plenty of time to get it back.

And he basically does something that costs them the series.

When you factor in the unnecessariness of it, the timing, the severity, the blatancy, the results... it might be the worst individual penalty ever taken.

Take an accidental puck over glass delay of game that decides a series. Now multiply that by 30. You have what happened yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

that's a lot better than the memories I have of Jay Feaster, the man who traded away my favourite human being of all time for loving Ben Hanowski

It rules so hard the Flames ended up with literally nothing for their all-time greatest player.