Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

david_a posted:

What the hell is an extraction shooter

wondering the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Escape from Tarkov for example. you go into a level and try to get loot and then Extract. multiplayer so other people are in there too competing to get the same loot. they may shoot you.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

david_a posted:

What the hell is an extraction shooter

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wondering the same thing

It's like the long spoons frontier doctors utilized in the 1800's to extract impacted turds from a patient's rear end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If I Had A Loot Treadmill, I’d Make Somebody Pay

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like horseshit

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

That teaser webpage is great because as you scroll down it alternates between "infuriating because of all the corpo marketing speak trying to sell me on a loot box GaaS" and "infuriating because it's dropping references to a bunch of stuff I'm passionate about from my childhood to sell me on a loot box GaaS"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only good extraction game is Dark and Darker and Nexon will likely kill it via lawsuit.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like horseshit

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Somewhere in the heavens, they are waiting... for this month's battle pass, only $14.99!!!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I have yet to play a PvPvE type game that isn't the kind of dull and hostile to new players slog that exemplifies the worst aspects of gaming, that and you can easily tell they're all done that way because the developers are too lazy and/or incompetent to properly develop regular PvP or PvE gameplay experiences

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol it's cod dmz

huge map. solo players or small teams spawn in and do missions against bots to get in game money and loot (weapons, support items, and junk to sell) and fight each other to collect the opposing players stuff, extract at set places on the map to leave with the stuff you picked up...hopefully other players aren't waiting there to kill you before you can leave

site fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 24, 2023

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
learning the new deep marathon lore as someone shouts slurs at me over proximity mic from behind a space truck

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

The only good extraction game is Dark and Darker and Nexon will likely kill it via lawsuit.

It's actually Hunt Showdown, except for all the times where Crytek balls something up in a patch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember when the Division did it.

As a separate PVP game mode attached to an entire 30 hour Ubisoft open world looter shooter that you could play solo and had an actual story and everything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dieting Hippo posted:

learning the new deep marathon lore as someone shouts slurs at me over proximity mic from behind a space truck

that's most multiplayer at this point to be fair

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bungie has actually learned their lesson and Destiny is strictly opt-in voice, Marathon will most likely be the same way

I can't help but be hyped for Marathon just because it's Marathon, and because this is coming out so long after the extraction shooter wave passed means they may have put more thought into it and come up with something that avoids the problems that have been mentioned already. But a PVP-only game where other players set the pace and challenge level does seem like something I would hate playing, so we'll see

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like the idea of a dungeoncrawl in a ghost colony ship with hosed up weirdness. I'm not interested in playing a GaaS multiplayer game, but I think they can be fun to watch, so maybe it'll work for me there. I wonder if it'll actually have anything to do with the originals or if it's all for name recognition (lol).

I should get back to Marathon, I got pretty deep into it when I did last time. I like it a lot, but someday I'll finish it (and move onto Marathon 2).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DoombatINC posted:

That teaser webpage is great because as you scroll down it alternates between "infuriating because of all the corpo marketing speak trying to sell me on a loot box GaaS" and "infuriating because it's dropping references to a bunch of stuff I'm passionate about from my childhood to sell me on a loot box GaaS"

Is anybody working on it that didn’t just read about Marathon in a wiki page

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Worse, they know of it only from the references in Halo 1.

It looks like a stupid trash idea.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

This game will make Destiny look good

catlord posted:

I like the idea of a dungeoncrawl in a ghost colony ship with hosed up weirdness. I'm not interested in playing a GaaS multiplayer game, but I think they can be fun to watch, so maybe it'll work for me there. I wonder if it'll actually have anything to do with the originals or if it's all for name recognition (lol).

I should get back to Marathon, I got pretty deep into it when I did last time. I like it a lot, but someday I'll finish it (and move onto Marathon 2).

If you get bogged down in the back end of Marathon feel free to read the terminals on bungie.org and skip to M2, a much better campaign

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

edit 2: the streak of decent level design continues with e2m1 and e2m2. Maybe the game ends up being really good.
I've got a sneaking suspicion they designed the game from level one onwards. What I've seen of chapter II so far has much better maps, arena layouts and ammo/item placements.
(They even stop putting health and armor together! Sometimes.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

This game will make Destiny look good

This game is where all the people who could have made Destiny good and didn't apparently went

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The creative bankruptcy of bringing back Marathon as an extraction shooter can't be described by words in any language formed in this iteration of the universe. :allears:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Are they called extraction games because they're designed to extract money from you?

Anyway, one actual thing I'd like to see done with boomer shooter genre-bending is a 2.5D FPS-CRPG, like New Vegas with a Doom-like engine (but not lovely like Arena or Daggerfall).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The creative bankruptcy of bringing back Marathon as an extraction shooter can't be described by words in any language formed in this iteration of the universe. :allears:
My mind first went back to 2012.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHXpifo8mdw

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was having troubles explaining this as well so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1661512382013898752?t=rhXjAmvOHANiN0t5sG5y7w&s=19

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's a long-dead IP at a company whose talent has long since moved on (several times over?), so it's just one dusty name glued to another. At least iD's new doom games where there to showcase their shiny new engine, their own production team during doom'16 development clearly had no idea what their fanbase was like, not sure why anyone would be surprised what junk comes out of the Bungie name.

Maybe I'm cynical since it's not a title I hold dear to my heart, I'm sure if they made a new Myth game in the same vein I'd be frothing at the mouth hah.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
They could've just done a Marathon remake, that would've been nice.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

I can't believe they wasted Michael Wincott on this pile.

Rocket Pan posted:

I was having troubles explaining this as well so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.
https://twitter.com/Rocket_Pan_/status/1661512382013898752?t=rhXjAmvOHANiN0t5sG5y7w&s=19

:negative:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is Marathon really a big enough name to even cash in on? Did it gain some widespread mythological status as Halo's predecessor or something? I mostly remember Marathon as being the subject of the occasional "actually Macs do have games and the engine is technically better than Doom" argument.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol I watched the Marathon teaser. Looks nothing like how it should but I guess they didn't care since how many people recognize the name. Could've put any name on that.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

If I'm being completely honest the syndicate shooter was perfectly fine, I had fun with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disproportionation posted:

If I'm being completely honest the syndicate shooter was perfectly fine, I had fun with it.

The instantly dead at launch Multiplayer was also pretty good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah it's weird that it somehow kept a reputation for being some horrible cash-in garbage when it was actually a perfectly fine Starbreeze project. It was no Command and Conquer mobile game or even a :nms: Thief 4 :nms:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Volte posted:

Is Marathon really a big enough name to even cash in on? Did it gain some widespread mythological status as Halo's predecessor or something? I mostly remember Marathon as being the subject of the occasional "actually Macs do have games and the engine is technically better than Doom" argument.

M2 got a port to the 360 during the heyday of Halo. Some people probably heard of it from that, or general fan lore. Halo fanbase was huge for a while there, I think a lot more people may have heard of it than ever played it. That said I doubt the companies involved think there is huge demand for it either. There doesn’t need to be pre-existing demand for a game like this, they will be promoting it to generate the demand.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Just completed Chapter 1 of Boltgun on Exterminatus. I ended up having to do a bunch of reloads on the bigger purge fights, but overall I think it's the way to go for me. Really, the hardest part about the chapter final boss was trying to figure out where he had teleported next.

Leaned mostly on the heavy bolter, especially for the aerial enemies in chapter 1. I think the shotgun is better than the rap it's getting though - it can splatter 2-3 enemies if they're positioned closely and is nice for cleaning up Blue Horrors.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's actually Hunt Showdown,

:hai:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Nurglings keep biting me on the rear end!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
There's a marathon stream that's live and "collecting inputs" until it hits 7777. Either this is some ARG or they are quickly trying to get out in front of announcing a multiplayer-only marathon game when there's more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcXob5iu-0

edit: playback disabled on other sites lol, here's direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcXob5iu-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

There's a marathon stream that's live and "collecting inputs" until it hits 7777. Either this is some ARG or they are quickly trying to get out in front of announcing a multiplayer-only marathon game when there's more details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcXob5iu-0

edit: playback disabled on other sites lol, here's direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFcXob5iu-0
Yeah, there was some tomfoolery on the site people found real quick and working through it found the link to the stream.
https://hearoursilence.com/4673c/hearoursilence_4673c.pdf

Disproportionation posted:

I meant less to disparage it as a game and was more riding the mental train of thought between longtime fan expectation and the actual presentation and game style shift. Could have used the X-Com reboot, too, though we never quite got that initial concept and The Bureau finally came out after the closer-to-traditional Jake Solomon project.