Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Jamie Benn has always been a garbage human being and I hope he never recovers from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Jamie Benn has always been a garbage human being and I hope he never recovers from this.

there's a strong argument for him to be the first art ross winner to not make the hall, which is the sort of anomaly he has earned being

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The traditional DeBoer flameout is happening way ahead of schedule this time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If nobody gets to 100 points they just shouldn't award the Art Ross

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

there's a strong argument for him to be the first art ross winner to not make the hall, which is the sort of anomaly he has earned being

The Little Dead Puck Era of the mid 10s sucked so much

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

His winning the Art Ross has broken so many loving brains and it's hilarious. Had Crosby or Tavares won it no one would have said a fuckin peep.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

E: wrong thread.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Like Mark Stone, I'm just relieved he didn't break my neck.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

His winning the Art Ross has broken so many loving brains and it's hilarious. Had Crosby or Tavares won it no one would have said a fuckin peep.

I think that's some local biased bullshit, the points total is gross, not Benn.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Mr. Kite posted:

When you factor in the unnecessariness of it, the timing, the severity, the blatancy, the results... it might be the worst individual penalty ever taken.

Take an accidental puck over glass delay of game that decides a series. Now multiply that by 30. You have what happened yesterday.

Surprised you didn't think Scuderi getting boarded in 2012 wasn't higher, that's always the first i think of.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Eric the Mauve posted:

The traditional DeBoer flameout is happening way ahead of schedule this time.

Doesn't he say that he sits back and "just let his players play" in the playoffs? I know coaches are withholding and speak to a lot of BS, but also why would he say this if there weren't a grain of truth.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2023

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

I believe Benn needed two points in the last 5 minutes to win the Art Ross over Tavares that year. I watched that game live and remember Nashville pulling their goalie with 5 minutes left in the game and then just proceeding to stand there and watch Benn launch empty net attempts over and over again until he eventually got it off an assist where a puck bounced off his skates. Pretty sure he played the entire five minutes too.

That pissed me off so much watching it live too. And all for John Tavares. Lmao how dumb I was, and still am

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol that owns

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I genuinely wouldn't even remember it as much if grumbling about it didn't still pop up from time to time. Yeah I had a dumb avatar made from Benn's exhausted "I don't care anymore" face while Trevor Daley loses his goddamn mind on the bench beside him, but ultimately that trophy was a miniscule silver lining on yet another disappointing season where the Stars couldn't even make the playoffs despite having every opportunity to do so in that last week.

That it still sticks in people's minds kinda makes the trophy win cooler now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's just the answer to a trivia question at the end of the day.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Is FLA/CAR going to be the first sweep where the winning team was outshot in every game?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Habibi posted:

Is FLA/CAR going to be the first sweep where the winning team was outshot in every game?

probably

I guess Carolina isn't the best team that's ever been swept in the playoffs (hello 2019 Tampa Bay) but they are pretty drat close. Shocking result if it comes through.

**actually if it's ever happened before it was probably the 2019 series where Tampa Bay got swept by Columbus

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Habibi posted:

Detroit/Anaheim in 2003, probably quite a few others

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Habibi posted:

Nice jinx.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
RIP Da Canez

Murdered dead by Matt Tkachuk.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Cats good. Tkachuk and Bob good. Hockey good

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Thank goodness we don't have to see boring rear end Carolina anymore

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Lol at least Toronto won a game against them

I feel like Florida is either going to win in dominating fashion against Vegas or the magic will wear off and they'll get absolutely rocked. No in between.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Canes ate poo poo and I enjoyed. gently caress the Canes.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The 2023 Panthers are one of my favourite teams in a long time. I hope they win it all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I thought I would just keep watching my documentary and flip over to overtime.

What a loving way to finish getting swept, Rod the Bod.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Reminds me of when the kings upset the Canucks as an 8 seed and then just dominated everyone else.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

I wish tkachuk would keep his mouth guard in. gross

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

secret volcano lair posted:

I wish tkachuk would keep his mouth guard in. gross

It’s so totally destroyed too, wouldn’t be useful if he even had it in

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ThinkTank posted:

It rules so hard the Flames ended up with literally nothing for their all-time greatest player.

I will never understand that trade.

I will also remember the Calgarian-transplant in BC (where I live) who scared the poo poo out of me at a soccer game when he read the news that Tkachuk was traded:

"WHHHHHHHAAAAGHTTT????"

Like bro... the news broke 12 hours ago, calm the gently caress down.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ThinkTank posted:

It rules so hard the Flames ended up with literally nothing for their all-time greatest player.

I mean in fairness, neither did Pittsburgh.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Carolina has now lost 12 straight conference finals games in three sweeps (Florida, Boston, Pittsburgh). That's kind of insane.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Thank goodness we don't have to see boring rear end Carolina anymore

Genuinely please explain how the Panthers are an exciting team when they squeaked out these games by one goal and mostly in OT. I'll freely admit that I'm a Canes fan and don't watch a ton of hockey outside of them, but the Devils series, for example, was something I would consider exciting and interesting, and this ECF was a root canal in comparison.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

RumbleFish posted:

Genuinely please explain how the Panthers are an exciting team when they squeaked out these games by one goal and mostly in OT. I'll freely admit that I'm a Canes fan and don't watch a ton of hockey outside of them, but the Devils series, for example, was something I would consider exciting and interesting, and this ECF was a root canal in comparison.

I think I see the problem.

And honestly if you agreed I'd wonder if something was wrong with you.

Can only speak for the regular season but they play a very grindy boring brand of hockey that sucks all the fun out of the game. It's effective and there's nothing wrong with it especially if you're a fan of them but the few Rangers Canes games I saw this season were awful to watch.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

RumbleFish posted:

They remind me of the 2000s devils playing boring unfun hockey is all

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Exciting high octane hockey is fun until it runs into playoff rules officiating and gets ground into paste with nothing to show for it

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

RumbleFish posted:

lmfao. quote of the playoffs

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
fan of a boring rear end team throwing a tantrum lol

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

heehee posted:

fan of a boring rear end team throwing a tantrum lol

Ya that's not whats happening doofus, that style encourages less calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Shinjobi posted:

Exciting high octane hockey is fun until it runs into playoff rules officiating and gets ground into paste with nothing to show for it