Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Really don't enjoy cajoling my clearly tired kid out of bed for school. I've become what I hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Blowout count for the day is at 2 and it's not even 9 yet

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

maybe you need to size up for the diapers?

deadjb
Aug 11, 2002

your kid overshitting their pants just means they need an account of their own.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

maybe you need to size up for the diapers?

Yeah dunno how long he's gonna be in newborn diaps, again he's only a week old but he's already a comfy margin over birth weight

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yeah its pretty normal for them to lose like 10% of their birth weight in the first week so if your little guy has gotten bigger it's probably time to size up.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As you size up, there is more absorption capacity. My infant is just moved up to size 2 like 2.5-3 months in.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Also, some kids just know how to angle that poop to blow out!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Newborn diapers are a trap. Go for the next size now.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

we developed the same night time pattern for our new 2 month old as we did for our first, and I kinda love it. we noticed that baby, if held correctly, can sleep for nearly 5 hours straight from 9 to 2am.

once we saw new baby doing this, my wife jumped at the chance to get 5 uninterrupted hours of sleep, which means it’s just me, the baby, and my various devices. before totk came out, I managed to get through a majority of the sopranos, and now I get an insane amount of kid free gaming time, guilt free at night. the only trade off is that I have to be a zombie the next morning, but all my coworkers expect that anyways.

it rules. just gotta make sure everything I need is within arms reach, lest I disturb the baby sleeping on a pillow on my lap.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm getting great progress on my Steam Deck replay of Dark Cloud 2. Tempted to abandon it for TotK but staying strong for now. Weapon upgrades plus ridepod inventions plus NPC recruit sidequests are as good for dopamine dispensing as they were when I was 14

silvergoose posted:

Newborn diapers are a trap. Go for the next size now.

Current plan of action is to do this for overnights to cut down on night changes and try to use the newborn diapers during the day a little longer

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i really need to start sleep training my son again, his nighttime wakeups are getting really unacceptable for a three year old, but also i feel like i can't start now because we're moving at the end of the month and thats going to be so disruptive for him already. i mean he is excited about moving but i feel like being a new room in a new house is going to be hard on him sleep-wise. very frustrated and tired today.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lobster shirt posted:

i really need to start sleep training my son again, his nighttime wakeups are getting really unacceptable for a three year old, but also i feel like i can't start now because we're moving at the end of the month and thats going to be so disruptive for him already. i mean he is excited about moving but i feel like being a new room in a new house is going to be hard on him sleep-wise. very frustrated and tired today.

how much of a sleepytime routine do you have? something you can carry over to the new house.

keep the focus on bed being a time for quiet and sleep

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the sleepytime routine is very established and 100% portable to the new house - we basically brush teeth, get in bed for storytime (limit THREE stories), i sing him two songs, and out the door. the issue i have is that he can't sleep through the night. last night he woke up at 3:30 and 6 am.

this all falls on me because we also have a 5 month old baby and obviously my wife cannot be expected to handle the nighttime wakeups of two children - she has enough on her plate nursing the baby.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I remember our second kid just woke up every night for a couple years straight and then when covid hit he would routinely just wind up in our bed (both of them would sometimes).

he's six now and now they both sleep soundly through the night, but boy howdy 2018-2021 was a rough period.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

the sleepytime routine is very established and 100% portable to the new house - we basically brush teeth, get in bed for storytime (limit THREE stories), i sing him two songs, and out the door. the issue i have is that he can't sleep through the night. last night he woke up at 3:30 and 6 am.

this all falls on me because we also have a 5 month old baby and obviously my wife cannot be expected to handle the nighttime wakeups of two children - she has enough on her plate nursing the baby.

Have you gotten the light situation just exactly right? My five year old sleeps best in complete darkness, but he also has a couple of lights to turn on in the night. I feel like that's a place to experiment and find the best nightlight solution for your kid

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alright for real how do you get a child to poop on the potty. She'll pee just fine, knows when to stop and go. Not with poop though.

We've tried to incentivize potty comfort with things like books just for reading on the potty, but so far no luck. The other night she sat on the potty for a few minutes while we read to her, but she didn't have to go, so we stopped and went about the day. Maybe like a minute or two later, she pooped.

She's a smart kid and we don't want to rush, but she's due to start preschool in the fall and their policy is kids have to be fully trained, so we're getting nervous.

She just turned 3, btw.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
eh, fall is five months away. you've got time

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I was shameless and offered ice cream for poop filled potties

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Help!

Where would you go to get a dress appropriate for a 6th grade dance? Target? The mall (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.)? Or someplace else?

I need to get it tomorrow and don't have time to order online or look all around town. I didn't know about it til this evening.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

shyduck posted:

Alright for real how do you get a child to poop on the potty. She'll pee just fine, knows when to stop and go. Not with poop though.

We've tried to incentivize potty comfort with things like books just for reading on the potty, but so far no luck. The other night she sat on the potty for a few minutes while we read to her, but she didn't have to go, so we stopped and went about the day. Maybe like a minute or two later, she pooped.

She's a smart kid and we don't want to rush, but she's due to start preschool in the fall and their policy is kids have to be fully trained, so we're getting nervous.

She just turned 3, btw.

There's no trick, unfortunately. When she's ready she'll do it.

Just be supportive and patient and help her feel comfortable. At that age kids tend to start getting excited about becoming a big kid, so hopefully she responds to your encouragement about that. Good luck!

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

ikanreed posted:

I was shameless and offered ice cream for poop filled potties

We had a big jar of "poop treats" in view but out of reach for #1 and I suspect we will do the same for #2

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Help!

Where would you go to get a dress appropriate for a 6th grade dance? Target? The mall (Macy's, Dillard's, etc.)? Or someplace else?

I need to get it tomorrow and don't have time to order online or look all around town. I didn't know about it til this evening.

does Costco have kid clothes

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Mustached Demon posted:

does Costco have kid clothes

idk i don't have a costco membership though

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

500 good dogs posted:

careful, that's also a symptom of one of the new covid strains

Update: She has been generating snot in unprecedented volumes and propelling it continually into my face and my wife's face for 36 hours so... yes, COVID.

Is there any despair quite like 3 a.m. holding an infant alternating between coughing and sneezing and whimpering because she can't sleep?

...Except, I suppose, doing that while also knowing you are next.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

We just had a pinkeye scare too my daughter too, but the doctor said in our case it was allergies. Her eyes were gooey with mucus, mostly in the morning. No other symptoms other than the mucus. We have her on Zyrtec and Flonase

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

...Except, I suppose, doing that while also knowing you are next.

this variant sucks hard, get tested until you pop positive and get the paxlovid.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress it, cookies and bananas for breakfast.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

son threw up last night and it took me like 3 hours to settle him down. i feel dead.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Found a dress at target she really liked and she had a great time at her first dance :)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We finally got through the municipal disability bureaucracy, so now my oldest kid will be starting school in the special needs class that is both closest to us and has a pretty good reputation :toot:
The background is that he got diagnosed with autism, so he needs more structure and fewer kids, both of which he is getting, along with generally just more adults. Pretty great outcome, although it's a lot longer of a bike ride for a 6 year old.

Meanwhile, the six month old wants to do stuff and see stuff and be part of stuff. He is not into lying down, he easily rolls onto the stomach but doesn't care at all for the other way and today he finally got enough of being stationary and began moving forwards using a technique of pulling with his arms, sticking his butt up and just sheer force of will. Also he's still super into eating, while shouting loudly because it is not possible to eat fast enough. Good thing my paternity leave starts now so I get all the fun bits while my wife works for a change.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

My younger kid has placed a sign in their room reading:
"<kid's name>! FART!"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

My younger kid has placed a sign in their room reading:
"<kid's name>! FART!"

Ambiguous. Their own name, or their sibling's name? Cause we've definitely had "younger sibling's name! Stay out of my room!" signs placed up, despite the fact that the younger can't read yet...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My son is ~2.5 weeks old. Last night during "bedtime hours" he woke up 3 times -- at 9:30, at 1:30, and at 3:30. The only time he required any attention other than a quick feed was 9:30. That is really good for this age. Choosing to believe it's not a fluke.

Like, before he was born, I remember thinking "all I need to do is get through to the point where kid #2 is only waking me up twice per night and I'll be sitting pretty" and if every night is like last night we're already there

Fully aware of course that I have jinxed it and he'll get 45 minutes of sleep total tonight

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

The younger kid put their own name on the sign. In their older sibling's room the younger sibling apparently also placed a sign reading:
"<older sibling's name>! BUTT!"
They included a drawing of floating buttocks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

The younger kid put their own name on the sign. In their older sibling's room the younger sibling apparently also placed a sign reading:

lmao

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Perfection.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Nocturtle posted:

kids rock

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

flying solo for a few days while my wife takes care of her parents.

I woke up four times last night thinking I overslept, but I got them to school on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

lol