Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Dave posted:

It honestly takes like 5 minutes to establish a new Kang actor. They’ve built up the multiverse enough that nothing matters.

:yeah:

Just recast Chukwudi Iwuji as Kang. Dude crushed it as High Evolutionary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSo51UE0_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would also be fine with that

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If Majors isn't convicted, then I doubt they will recast him. It's not like they have to make a decision soon anyway. They have another year and a half at least before filming for the Kang Dynasty starts.

His next court appearance is June 13th and we will probably know more after that. The reporting has been all over the place and I assumed he would get convicted, but then the video came out where the girlfriend was at the bar afterwards with no broken finger, lacerations on her face, or marks on her neck like the police report said, and the DA dropped the strangulation charge. After that, it seems more up in the air. He allegedly says the Uber driver has video and will testify that he didn't hit her as well.

But, Variety was also reporting that the DA office was interviewing other people who may have been DV victims too. So, it seems a lot less clear what the outcome will be and both his legal defense and various real entertainment news sites and gossip sites are reporting claims from other people who say it seems like something he would do. So, both sides are kind of flooding the zone with information that supports their side and the signal to noise ratio is really high. The big thing will be if the DA drops any more charges and whether this video + testimony from the Uber driver is significant. Until then, it's just going to be a lot of speculation because we don't know what Majors' contract looks like or what evidence is being submitted during the discovery process.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 23, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If Majors isn't convicted, then I doubt they will recast him. It's not like they have to make a decision soon anyway. They have another year and a half at least before filming for the Kang Dynasty starts.

Depends on how integrated he was going to be for Loki S2 and every other MCU property. They set him up as a big bad for Loki and obviously they want to do the Thanos treatment of creating some mythology around the character before having a dedicated movie.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
kang has already gotten wayyyyy more build up than thanos did

that said, it's on screen canon in your universe that variants can look like whatever, so just fuckin recast and pay his contract out or whatever, majors is a good actor but is he worth the trouble for them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Soul Glo posted:

kang has already gotten wayyyyy more build up than thanos did

that said, it's on screen canon in your universe that variants can look like whatever, so just fuckin recast and pay his contract out or whatever, majors is a good actor but is he worth the trouble for them

I'm guessing the main thing holding them back is that they would have to either recast or revamp their entire movie lineup for the next two years. Additionally, I'm sure there is concern about another James Gunn situation where they pull the trigger too early, pay out Majors' contract (wasting what is likely a substantial amount of money), and then awkwardly walk it back if he is found innocent.

There isn't really a need to make a decision right away and that is probably why they are waiting rather than some contractual inability to get rid of him. At the executive/production level, why would anyone take a risk and potentially lose a bunch of money (while the parent company is in the middle of a big cost-cutting venture) just to make a decision early when you can just wait until it is basically made for you?

I really doubt you will get any official announcement until either Majors is proven innocent, Majors is convicted, or the DA drops the remaining charges. That is going to be into July at the earliest, but will likely extend out into early September based on a normal misdemeanor trial schedule.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
between all this and the writer's strike (which is a good thing imo don't get it twisted), probably safe to say that we're getting more delays of marvel stuff.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
RIP Volstagg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

It honestly takes like 5 minutes to establish a new Kang actor. They’ve built up the multiverse enough that nothing matters.

No, don't you understand? The human mind simply cannot comprehend that a fictional character is played by a different guy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Rarity posted:

RIP Volstagg

He wasn't even that old! Really enjoyed his work in Rome. The Warriors Three were pretty underutilized.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

KPC_Mammon posted:

He wasn't even that old! Really enjoyed his work in Rome. The Warriors Three were pretty underutilized.

He was great in RRR too. Hell of a Punisher as well. I was looking forward to him in Ashoka.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Goffer posted:

I really liked the moment of existential dread at the end

I'm sure everything will be fine

This was legit the best part of a pretty bad movie. I loved it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 23, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Cassie being smart enough to go rescue somebody that could actually rally a defense was pretty funny. Jentarra needs her own movie and spinoff series, none of us can argue against that.

I think they “two scoops of raisins”-ed themselves by putting every neat idea and visual they had into once box and hoping we didn’t notice it wasn’t a complete movie.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

Jentarra needs her own movie and spinoff series, none of us can argue against that.

Echo's already a blandly tough supporting character who got an unnecessary spinoff.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

live with fruit posted:

Echo's already a blandly tough supporting character who got an unnecessary spinoff.

None of us but Fruit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's only one character that deserves a spinoff

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Azhais posted:

An entire episode about him at least.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sure I've gotten these from this thread, but summer is the time for re-runs, right?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Wait. Were Kang’s lightbulb troopers robots or volunteers or what? Because if Kang is giving a rousing speech to a bunch of dudes he made…awesome. Just awesome.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

Wait. Were Kang’s lightbulb troopers robots or volunteers or what? Because if Kang is giving a rousing speech to a bunch of dudes he made…awesome. Just awesome.

Kang is definitely the kind of dude who would speechify mindless drones.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Azhais posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1568313413255790595

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Make Madisynn the MCU's Squirrel Girl, accidentally taking down all of the biggest villains through drunken white girl magic.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Parkingtigers posted:

Make Madisynn the MCU's Squirrel Girl, accidentally taking down all of the biggest villains through drunken white girl magic.

I think even Thanos would have paused for a minute if she walked up holding a martini yelling at him about how he was ruining her brunch. He'd probably be thinking it was some sort of ploy by a super powerful being, but he would pause.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

seaborgium posted:

I think even Thanos would have paused for a minute if she walked up holding a martini yelling at him about how he was ruining her brunch. He'd probably be thinking it was some sort of ploy by a super powerful being, but he would pause.

He would probably think "wait, Ronan was defeated by a dance-off, what is this going to be?"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BrianWilly posted:

My concern/suspicion right now is that Majors has some kind of contractual clause that prevents Marvel from simply replacing him with someone else, which is why we've yet to hear any announcement about them doing so despite it seemingly being the most obvious and easy thing to do. For better or for worse, it's important to remember that he hasn't actually been found guilty of the thing he very obviously did yet and there might be a limit to what even Disney can do until he is.
If the allegations are true, and we have no reason to think they aren't, this is almost certainly because he's still in things that haven't been released yet, and they'll part ways with him after.

Which may or may not also happen with Ezra Miller. WBD is far less averse to this kind of thing than Disney is.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm still sad that I got a monkey paw wish out of wanting Bokeem Woodbine in the MCU. I got him as the Shocker, my all time favorite Spidey villain, only to realize that he should have been motherfucking Kang! If they are just going to keep my man Herman in the wings unused give Bokeem something awesome to work with like he drat well deserves.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

No, don't you understand? The human mind simply cannot comprehend that a fictional character is played by a different guy.

You say this in jest, but this is actually the level at which... many, many people seem to operate. Well, the loud ones on Internet anyway.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I always loved Flight of the Conchords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZgGn1lFqs8

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Things are going well over at Max

Bertha the Toaster posted:

Why on earth would you subject people to this bullshit? Do they not want you to use their site?
https://twitter.com/wondermeg_/status/1662454909353033730

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Relevant to this thread, the app no longer has the brand hubs. I had to scroll down like a dozen lines to get to the selection of DC shows they decided to let me choose from. I went to go find board walk empire and in the drama series section, with a-z selected it wasn't listed, had to go and do a search.

The final travesty was that for icon selection, it gave you a bunch of sopranos but no wire characters. I ended up picking gunter from adventure time

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Things are going well over at Max

The sheer amount of effort Max has put into being so stupid is breathtaking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The streaming wars are over, now they're all racing to see who can ruin the experience fastest. You'd think it'd be Netflix with charging extra for account sharing but Max is doing their damndest to close that gap.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 31, 2023

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Infinitum posted:

:yeah:

Just recast Chukwudi Iwuji as Kang. Dude crushed it as High Evolutionary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSo51UE0_M

Yea, the Guardians and everyone else in the film has no connection to Kang so having the HE be a Kang Variant would be easily explaining, also Iwuji was amazing and could pull off that manic energy Kang was showing.

I liked Quantumania. It was far from the best movie, but it was fun, and I love a good Flash Gordon story. The thing I was most confused about was people complaining that Modok was silly. Uh, yea, that's Modok, he's a big stupid loser who always fucks up, at least that's what he's been in everything i've seen him in.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the Guardians and everyone else in the film has no connection to Kang so having the HE be a Kang Variant would be easily explaining, also Iwuji was amazing and could pull off that manic energy Kang was showing.

I liked Quantumania. It was far from the best movie, but it was fun, and I love a good Flash Gordon story. The thing I was most confused about was people complaining that Modok was silly. Uh, yea, that's Modok, he's a big stupid loser who always fucks up, at least that's what he's been in everything i've seen him in.

I think it's less that he was silly, and more that he looked very very bad. Like, unfinished bad. Like, needed another few passes bad. The face stretch effect just did not work for me, at all. I know the "looks like a video game" argument is overused, cliche, and basically never true, and I'm not saying it looked like a video game exactly. But it reminded me of how video games used to be really bad at faces, and would just be an image stretched over some polygons with no real depth to it. He looked way better when the mask was down.

I don't even blame the CGI artists. I'm sure they were overworked and under an insane deadline from Marvel. But the end result still gets a yikes from me.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

I think it's less that he was silly, and more that he looked very very bad. Like, unfinished bad. Like, needed another few passes bad. The face stretch effect just did not work for me, at all. I know the "looks like a video game" argument is overused, cliche, and basically never true, and I'm not saying it looked like a video game exactly. But it reminded me of how video games used to be really bad at faces, and would just be an image stretched over some polygons with no real depth to it. He looked way better when the mask was down.

I don't even blame the CGI artists. I'm sure they were overworked and under an insane deadline from Marvel. But the end result still gets a yikes from me.

On the one hand, you''re completely correct about all of the above. On the other hand... it was MODOK. If they'd done his face as "South Park Canadian" it probably wouldn't have bugged me either.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like most folks (myself included) have no real context for what MODOK is or is meant to be outside of what is presented in the film

Without having read this thread I would have no idea that monstrosity was supposed to look that stupid, which I think means it missed the mark

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It’s the “we aren’t allowed to take weird comic book poo poo seriously” problem per usual.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MODOK looks dumb as poo poo in general but the CGI was very half assed for capitalist reasons. If they would have made a dumb puppet with a cgi face on top of it it would have probably looked better. I didn’t even mind it that much it’s just that whole movie just had no time to get the CGI down. It’s probably a net gain in the long run cause Disney actually freaked out a little from the backlash on it and might give the studios a non insane schedule. That whole movie just reeks of CEOs wanting to shove out a movie to show off their big bad guy by putting a superhero they had no real plans for and don’t give a poo poo about.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
MODOK was one of three or four things I liked about that movie. The Darren actor seemed into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
The very large face looked bad, like it was a very large face. Why didn't they just make the very large face look different? These CGI artists really need to figure out how to change based on my completely reasonable and meaningful criticisms