Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m sure this will be the last concession

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

freeze spending and make every snap beneficiary wear a Tshirt saying they're on food stamps

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, with inflation, that is probably going to be a 7-8% cut per year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, with inflation, that is probably going to be a 7-8% cut per year.

more Because they will probably make cuts to balance out defense increases

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Now that we have the austerity debt ceiling figured out, can we please do something to help landlords!?

https://twitter.com/wealth/status/1661751526770233347

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

idiot Biden should not have even engaged

now he owns it

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Chad Sexington posted:

Now that we have the austerity debt ceiling figured out, can we please do something to help landlords!?

The math just doesn't add up! After borrowing at 20x leverage for floating rate loans I'm now losing a small fraction of what I've extracted over the past 3 decades! How can the government do this to me?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

euphronius posted:

now he owns it

He's horny to cut social services spending. He wanted to own this.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

euphronius posted:

now he owns it

You don't think he wanted it? I am sure he has advisors telling him that public debt is getting out of and some austerity is in order.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

He's horny to cut social services spending. He wanted to own this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

When the government "shuts down" they make exceptions for military & cops it just means all the civil servants doing the social service work can't do their jobs. It's whack

Yeah, that's the fun part. What looks like a political conflict between to factions is actually a conspiracy to rob the working class blind.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/23/nyregion/right-to-shelter-nyc.html

quote:

“Being dishonest about this will only result in our system collapsing"

thread title

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They've been doing the same moves for decades and The Parliamentarian was the only new character they introduced in all that time.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Chad Sexington posted:

Are you telling me these noble entrepreneurs are incapable of functioning with interest rates above 0%? :wotwot: It's as if this scum used variable interest rate loans to fund all their slum lord housing.

In local homeless news, I'm seeing more news stories whinging about squatters in abandoned homes. No questions asked why there are abandoned dilapidated homes in a city with a big demand for housing.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

genericnick posted:

They've been doing the same moves for decades and The Parliamentarian was the only new character they introduced in all that time.
"The Parlimentarian" sounds like they should have some kind of magic powers or something.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/Harkaway/status/1661694657892417536

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Are you telling me these noble entrepreneurs are incapable of functioning with interest rates above 0%? :wotwot: It's as if this scum used variable interest rate loans to fund all their slum lord housing.

In local homeless news, I'm seeing more news stories whinging about squatters in abandoned homes. No questions asked why there are abandoned dilapidated homes in a city with a big demand for housing.

Markets are so affishunt that despite staggering demand, houses are barely getting built and the ones we have sit empty.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

They are probably still making significant wealth gains and just having minor issues with cash flow, too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thoguh posted:

They are probably still making significant wealth gains and just having minor issues with cash flow, too.

"Help help we don't have cash on hand to fix plumbing after our 40k monthly payment to ourselves"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Wonder what happens when their paypigs all can’t make rent at once :thunk:

a bailout

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Gato posted:

this is the part that seems like the biggest logical leap to me. restricting lending = layoffs, that part makes sense. but what is the mechanism for making businesses stabilise prices because more people are unemployed? I can see how that might work for luxury goods, but everyone still has to keep paying for food, energy, housing etc., and credit is still readily available. is the plan really just for everyone to take on more and more debt forever?

the idea is that higher rates means slower increase in wages AND less credit. It means less demand overall and less price for labor (or slower growing price for labor) which should push prices down.

no they don't care about the reality

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Padme: That includes Ukraine funding, right?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think where it falls apart is people will always demand things they need to live

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that's called inelastic demand

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its also like, what if some middle eastern country jacks up the price of oil, which is where energy comes from, which is an input to all industries, and so prices go up. maybe the labor market isn't even really hot, but prices keep rising.

do we punish labor for that? yes

edit: but a decade later we take countrol of the oil via military intervention lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Antonymous posted:

its also like, what if some middle eastern country jacks up the price of oil, which is where energy comes from, which is an input to all industries, and so prices go up. maybe the labor market isn't even really hot, but prices keep rising.

do we punish labor for that? yes

edit: but a decade later we take countrol of the oil via military intervention lol

it do be crazy how energy do that

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1661819177814876161

oops

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

owned lol

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
That's why she makes the big bucks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

with the way her and kramer fail perfectly im convinced theyre just insider traders making the wrong moves on purpose to signal how other ppl should move their money

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zero hedge is fake news

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

IDK why it took Nvidia themselves saying "AI is teh future" for the stock to pop. Anybody's who has been paying any attention could see where it was going. GPUs smoothly transitioned from being bitcoin miners to AI processors.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1661710454975266821

good to know companies are concerned about our wellbeing to purge us from the toils of wfh. :blessed:

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

skooma512 posted:

IDK why it took Nvidia themselves saying "AI is teh future" for the stock to pop. Anybody's who has been paying any attention could see where it was going. GPUs smoothly transitioned from being bitcoin miners to AI processors.

The stock has already been popping this entire year.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The unstable economy of the Weimar Republic and the fickle political sympathies of its middle class are important factors in the game. The economy track, affected both by events and player actions, swings between inflation and unemployment (when one rises the other falls, and vice versa), making it harder for the Coalition during periods of high inflation and easier for the extremists when unemployment rises.

Middle class sympathies are represented by a pawn placement system, where player actions and events move pawns between a space on the board and the player areas – but never directly between player areas. This is meant to simulate the slow-moving, unstable, and unpredictable political stances of the Mittelstand, which have crucial importance in elections as well as in coups and certain player actions.

:thunk:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

check this out: AI on the blockchain

AI on the block chain, on the cloud, in the metaverse, with artificial reality goggles.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

The hedge funds & other investors buying up the century-old apartments in my chicago suburb are jacking the rents after "rehabbing" to change from landlord-paid radiator steam heat to tenant-paid register heating, bringing the cost of 1-bedroom apts to around $2,000/month if you factor in heating.

A block away from me there are three such buildings. Meanwhile, my own century-old apartment just got an annual rent increase of less than 1 percent, making a total of 5 percent over as many years, bc it's got a non-institutional owner who appreciates good tenants like me. :angel:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

AI hype is keeping Number afloat this year

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

webcams for christ posted:

AI hype is keeping Number afloat this year

good thing that AI is definitely real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk