Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Speaking of Magnum T.A. though, I remember listening to this interview with Ole Anderson and Magnum's car crash came up, so Ole immediately starts talking about how small and frail he was, emphasizing that if he could fit his hand around a guy's wrist they are too weak to wrestle, and so no wonder he was severely injured in a car accident. Ole Anderson is a huge piece of poo poo.

Ole famously asked Ric Flair "what good are you to me now" when he was booking WCW, and Flair put Curt Hennig over on his way out of the WWF (before returning to WCW when Ole was booking it). I forget if this was before or after Ole booked the Shockmaster, the Black Scorpion, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

It was run by a roided up psychopath with little big man syndrome who just used it to haze guys with ridiculous conditioning because he was nothing but a huge jobber and actually had a leprechaun gimmick at one point

The "Wrestling Academy" one of my buds went to was apparently pretty chill and relaxed even if it was apparently really nothing but a way for the local Z-tier promotion to get more bodies.

As for the jobber part though, it's pretty dead on given this guy ran it:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
iirc mick foley said in his book (I haven't read it since like 5th grade) that some wrestling "schools" would basically just take your money, give you a few pointers, then break your ankle and send you home to tell everybody wrestling is real. after all, you broke your ankle just learning the ropes

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cubone posted:

iirc mick foley said in his book (I haven't read it since like 5th grade) that some wrestling "schools" would basically just take your money, give you a few pointers, then break your ankle and send you home to tell everybody wrestling is real. after all, you broke your ankle just learning the ropes

Chris Jericho and Lance Storm originally met each other when they went to train with the Hart family. By family I mean two of the brothers who were utterly shameless and never had Brets or Owens fortunes in wrestling. The trainee's like Jericho and Storm were given waivers/contracts/whatever that basically said a certain percentage of earnings would be given to said lovely brothers.

They both said f that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sort of like when Goldberg was supposed to punch through a car window with his fist aided by a steel pipe concealed in his jacket sleeve. Except he dropped the pipe and decided to do it bare-handed, immediately severing an artery and missing like six months after the surgery.

And then Undertaker did almost the same bit in his match against AJ Styles. I think he had a small pipe in his fist and he slammed his hand into the glass like a hammer. It worked, but also had a bunch of tiny bits of glass cut into his arm. It wasn't bad and he played it off in a sort of "how dare you make me bleed my own blood" way, but you'd think they would know better by now. At least it was a cinematic match so they could stop recording and clean up his wounds. Even the king of kayfabe had to admit it was kind of nice getting treated immediately instead of having to just continue the match.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you were really lucky, you could be trained by Stu Hart in his "Dungeon," which was in his basement in his Calgary "Hart Mansion."

From everything I've heard, all he did was stretch the poo poo out of everyone he came across. But in a really weird way - as if he got off on it - like he'd make you lie down on your belly, then he'd just lock you up in a painful "hook" If you started to cry, he put on Hank Williams real loud so that his children couldn't hear the grown steroid men crying. At one point a North American Black Bear, who was also a wrestler, lived underneath his porch.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
If we're going to be at least a LITTLE fair, wrestling is a drat hard life and business, and if you want to get into it, you'll need to be tested thoroughly. If you're going to break and quit after 1-3 sessions, well, best get it done and over with.

HOWEVER, that does NOT include scamming such students or abusing their trust to deliberately injure them or work off your resentment and ego woes on them, which is what too many of these assholes do. Stu MIGHT have been doing the equivalent of hammering a hot piece of metal into a better shape (in this case, the piece of metal felt pain and could express that fact). Or he might have just been a vicious bastard who got off on abusing his power, who knows? I never met the man. Like I myself assessed, the Hart family was heavily dysfunctional, and wrestling is so innately carny and dirty at the core that wrongness will get into everything no matter what.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Speaking of wrestling "schools": back in the 1980s, journeyman wrestler and noted all-around rear end in a top hat Buzz Sawyer--in between taking liberties with rookies and jobbers in the ring and burning his bridges with nearly every promoter in the US due to his unpredictable behavior and propensity for getting in fights both backstage and at bars--would offer to "train" guys trying to break into the business. Said training consisted of taking a dude's money and then vanishing into the night (maybe if they were lucky, he might give them one training session, where he'd either potato them with punches or stretch them, as part of "paying their dues").

One of the guys whose money he disappeared with was a young Mark Calaway. When he wrestled in WCW as Mean Mark Callous, he finally caught up to Sawyer (who was part of the J-Tex Corporation that was briefly feuding with Flair and Sting, after Flair beat Funk in an "I Quit" match, and before the Horsemen reformed), and was only prevented from beating the poo poo out of him by ring announcer Gary Michael Capetta, who urged Calaway to think of his future in the business vs. getting in trouble with WCW and Turner Broadcasting management (who had purchased WCW only a short time previously) for fighting Sawyer.

Calaway later became known as the Undertaker. Buzz Sawyer died of a drug overdose in 1992.

Jim Cornette broke his nose with a tennis racket? Maybe it happened but I’m guessing the primary source for that is Cim Jornette.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jim cornette is a crazy carnie who loaded his tennis racket to add extra weight to it to fight off crazed fans so i believe him

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Jim Cornette broke his nose with a tennis racket? Maybe it happened but I’m guessing the primary source for that is Cim Jornette.

From what I read it was because Sawyer basically either hit him or was in the process of hitting him with a legit punch, so I don't doubt the story for a second.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Jim Cornette tried to run over one of his rivals with his car in dowtown Louisville, and also claims to have pulled a gun on Brock Lesnar and threatened to shoot him

I should add that these weren't wrestling things, but real things that he did. Jim Cornette is a cheeseburger eating psychopath.

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 25, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jim cornette cant go to canada because of his very long criminal record

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
all related to wrestling in some way...

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette is a crazy carnie who loaded his tennis racket to add extra weight to it to fight off crazed fans so i believe him

Seriously, this. Words utterly fail at how NUCLEAR the heat Cornette got. Hell, he's a gay panic gimmick in and of himself: his glory days were playing a 'mama's boy' whose rich mother bought him everything, and he was soft faced, mildly lisping, and carried around a tennis racket, a stereotypical sign of being rich, and he basically waved it in fans' faces that he, the most unmanly of men (and THAT means surely he's a (INSERT TERM THAT ALSO MEANS BUNDLE OF STICKS HERE)) could just buy wrestlers' (contracts) to order them around and stuff like women when he, such a beta weakling, doesn't DESERVE to have, etc etc. Add in the traditional cheating manager helps the heels beat the beloved faces and seriously, it is astonishing he's here now and didn't get killed in a riot.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's an incredible heel that cant turn the gimmick off and can only communicate in ways that get him the most negative attention now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's an incredible heel that cant turn the gimmick off and can only communicate in ways that get him the most negative attention now

What's his account name

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

oh is that what the racket is for? I always just assumed he used it once and got a good reaction so he just never stopped carrying it

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

a North American Black Bear, who was also a wrestler

a weird gimmick, but i guess things were different in the 80's

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
my first adult exposure to Jim Cornette was in the new NWA before he said some racist poo poo and got canned. Funny enough, NWA is a complete steaming pile of poo poo now from everything I've seen, so there's that

I'd love a write up of Jim Cornette hijinks honestly

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

AlmightyBob posted:

oh is that what the racket is for?
I never twigged it before but that scans

there's an old, old sort of public domain joke, one of those gags that used to be everywhere in like the 1960's or whatever then sort of just fell completely out of the public consciousness, where the preppy rich kid jogs into the scene at a completely inappropriate moment and goes "anyone for tennis? :grin:" a joke on the cluelessness of the idle wealthy

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

It was run by a roided up psychopath with little big man syndrome who just used it to haze guys with ridiculous conditioning because he was nothing but a huge jobber and actually had a leprechaun gimmick at one point

is that the guy from the Louis Theroux documentary?

that guy seemed like a real jerk.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

oh is that what the racket is for? I always just assumed he used it once and got a good reaction so he just never stopped carrying it

its both lol

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Stu Hart grew up in abject poverty, his family lived in a tent until he was 13, and was treated like absolute poo poo for most of his young life for being both poor and left-handed. I imagine his idea of education was tainted by that. Considering how most the Hart's turned out and the how the families they married into are, I'm sure there was a fair deal of scamming but he was smart enough about it and wrestlers learned despite this. Seemed like it was tougher than it needed to be and that could have been an excuse to not graduate people to keep getting money. I'm sure name recognition and stoking egos was enough to make most overlook the sketchier aspects.

I've wonder how schools like that would fair today in the age of social media and not just word of mouth and name recognition. When all you know about it is Chris Jericho and guys like Cornette, who never attended and I don't think ever actually trained, telling secondhand stories, it's going to sound like the golden age. The nature of the business, even more so back then, didn't allow people to say anything negative about established people like Hart, who also ran a promotion, because it could end your career. While I think Stu was definitely among the better trainers and people from his era, it was a low bar and I'm sure he definitely wasn't the saintly grapple grandpa people make him out to be.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

At one point a North American Black Bear, who was also a wrestler, lived underneath his porch.

Stu broke that bear's ankle and the bear went back to the woods and told all the bears wrestling is real.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
stu hart was being a ring side manager at a show including the hart family and a fan threw a bag of popcorn at him and he just bent down and started eating it off the floor lol

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to imagine the bear was to Stu what Brian Knobbs is to Hogan, a big dumb idiot that was once useful but now just hangs around for a free meal.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jerry lawler voice: that's no bear that's helen

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've wonder how schools like that would fair today in the age of social media and not just word of mouth and name recognition. When all you know about it is Chris Jericho and guys like Cornette, who never attended and I don't think ever actually trained, telling secondhand stories, it's going to sound like the golden age. The nature of the business, even more so back then, didn't allow people to say anything negative about established people like Hart, who also ran a promotion, because it could end your career. While I think Stu was definitely among the better trainers and people from his era, it was a low bar and I'm sure he definitely wasn't the saintly grapple grandpa people make him out to be.

I mean, the schools being like that back then was a result of and contributed to the business being and staying carny as gently caress. It is a vicious circle that can only really be broken out of by calling attention to it, lots and lots of attention. It wouldn't change from within, because why change what's clearly working? Just ignore the pile of dead drug addicts over there...

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

All That Glitters: Conclusion

It’s funny how things age. In fact, that’s why gold is considered so valuable. It’s soft, malleable, and hence easy to work with and shape, and it never rusts or tarnishes. Between these two facts, there’s not a lot you can do PRACTICALLY with it (you can do some stuff, like dental work, or computer stuff, but that’s things that were basically created in the last 150 years), so it became very popular for ceremonial, cosmetic things.

Memory is nowhere as good. I left off at the last part claiming that Goldust began cutting promos implying he was going to do something out of the ordinary, and that just like with GTV, “I remember”, and a Goldust/Stardust Wrestlemania match, it would end up dropped and never revealed or used.

Turns out I mis-remembered. While Goldust, after turning heel on R-Truth, did go ‘old school’ and start using the old Goldust’s Hollywood obsession and specific mildly fey voice, and even made an oblique reference to the first days when he was playing the homophobic mind games, I could have sworn that his promos hinted that he was going to do something more than ‘feud with R-Truth’. Turns out no. The promos were wholly based on the usual heel nonsense logic that R-Truth had somehow wronged him and now Goldust would make him pay for it.

Unfortunately, despite weeks of such promos, and a live show bit it seemed like the WWE still didn’t care to actually give Goldust some spotlight, as he and Truth didn’t even get a match at the next PPV, the July show “Great Balls Of Fire”. They’d have to settle for their lone blow off match being on the next night’s Raw…which Goldust won. So did that mean he was right that R-Truth had been holding him back? No one in WWE cared to answer that.

In fact, it seemed like the WWE had noticed that Dustin was pulling out old stuff and went “THIS IS PG, ABORT ABORT!”, as the next major storyline Goldust was involved in was being beaten by Bray Wyatt. Wyatt, nee Windham Rotunda (that’s how you know two men are best friends as well as family; when you name your son after their last name, as Windham is named after Barry and Kendell Windham, two of his uncles, his father being Mike Rotunda, perhaps best known in wrestling as the wrestling tax account Irwin R. Shyster, also known as…a three time tag team champion), was involved in a feud with Fergal “Finn Balor” Devitt (now there’s a guy who might have had an unfortunate dear family friend grant him his name). Balor’s gimmick, established by Fergal even before he joined the WWE, was occasionally doing himself up in elaborate body paint and playing it like this was some kind of ‘super mode’ where he was at his peak of strength and was nearly unbeatable, the downside being he could only use it occasionally, or so the logic of why he didn’t use it all the time would suggest. Wyatt, to try and dismiss the so-called ‘power of the demon’, would defeat Goldust and then wipe off his face paint, declaring he was ‘JUST A MAN!’

So next week, Dustin Rhodes was back…albeit still in Goldust’s outfit (no face paint) and with his music, to face Wyatt as ‘a man’. He lost again. Then Finn ran out to help Dustin. Dustin, still a heel, resented it and attacked Finn the next week on Raw, which prompted a match between those two instead. Dustin lost again. That would be the last time Dustin would appear on TV for the year 2017; besides being in numerous team matches at house shows (which his team usually won, Dustin has a remarkably strong record at house shows when it comes to wins and losses), the only major thing Dustin would appear in would be WWE’s version of Starrcade, which was basically a tribute show that was not televised or aired in any way, as a nod to the Starrcades of decades past. Wrestling on the show as “The Natural” one more time, Dustin would defeat Dash Wilder, who was part of one half of then WWE Tag Team the Revival. Kind of an odd match, perhaps it was a nod to how Dustin’s first successes in WCW back at the start of the 90’s were in tag teams.

(And a side note of nonsense. Wyatt had a good reason for wanting to try and weaken Balor, because in the feud, he was taking it on the chin.. While he’s beaten Balor at the July 2017 PPV, at Summerslam Balor, this time as his ‘Demon’ persona, had returned the favor, and then beaten Wyatt AGAIN at the September PPV, even with Wyatt having ambushed and ‘injured’ him before the match, and then taunted him into facing him anyway, as ‘just’ Finn Balor…and then he lost. Wyatt decided he would need to invoke his own dark powers to fully destroy Balor, and so he declared that at the next PPV, he would face Balor, empowered by…Sister Abigail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IoOuTAskfc

Fortunately, Wyatt didn’t end up making the PPV due to an unknown illness (it was not, at least, elevated liver enzymes), and he would be replaced by AJ Styles, who would have a banger of a match with his old friend Balor. When Wyatt returned, Sister Abigail as some sort of possessing dark force was never mentioned again. The next try at a ‘greater darkness’ within Wyatt would work out considerably better)

Goldust would return, full face paint and all, as 2018 started, but only in occasional moments. He’d be part of the WWE’s experimental intergender tournament, where a male and female wrestler would be teamed up against other such teams, but he would have terrible luck as first his partner, Alicia Fox, was injured and had to be replaced…and then Goldust and his new partner, Mandy Rose, were eliminated in the first round anyway. Besides appearing at the Royal Rumble, the Andre the Giant Memorial Wrestlemania Battle Royale, and the ‘Greatest Royal Rumble’ at the first of the Saudi Arabia blood money shows, where he’d be eliminated in all of them, the only thing of note Goldust did was call out John Cena on a March Raw, saying that he was going to ‘shatter his dreams’ (as Cena’s gimmick at the time was calling out the Undertaker for a ‘dream match’ at the upcoming Wrestlemania, as it seemed like the previous year, Undertaker had fully retired after taking his second loss on the show to Roman Reigns). While the commentators noted that despite 25 years on in the business, Goldust could still go and almost seemed to be ‘aging in reverse’ (exact words), Dustin would lose to Cena, and after the ‘Greatest Royal Rumble’, would only appear on house shows…which, according to the records, consisted of several matches where he teamed up with Mojo Rawley and lost…and then two three man matches where he on a team that opposed Mojo Rawley, and his trio won those two matches. House shows man, they have their own weird flip-flops. Despite the claim that Goldust was pulling a Benjamin Button by commentator Corey Graves, in reality Goldust would have to stop wrestling in July 2018 to have surgery on both his knees. That would be it for the Golden One, Goldust’s last TV appearance being at that Saudi show; the knee surgery would keep him out of action for the rest of 2018 and, as 2019 began, Goldust would end up asking for his release and getting it at the end of April. Now 50 years old and with over 30 years of wear and tear on his body, it seemed like Dustin would be destined to while away whatever wrestling years he had left in small shows and indys, and hopefully without backsliding into addiction issues.

Except…

The WWE likely figured that Cody Rhodes would vanish into the ether, or that he would as far as they were concerned. They had no use for him, after all, he’d just been some idiot in face paint. Cody disagreed? What did he know? He could go be the big fish in the small ponds. He was irrelevant.

Cody disagreed, and upon leaving WWE, spent the next several years playing it old school, that being, going all around to various territories and working in Japan to get more experience and skills with working with as wide a range a talent as possible. The main accomplishments for Cody’s very busy years would be joining the elite Japanese wrestling stable the Bullet Club (and getting into a ‘civil war’ with another face of the group, Kenny Omega), but perhaps the more important one, foreshadowing events to come, would be when long time wrestling insider Dave Meltzer wondered aloud if an indy show in the late New 10’s could ever reach the heights of decades past and sell out a ten thousand seat venue. Meltzer asked this question mid 2017, and it apparently took Cody and some others some time to answer, but eventually, they said yes, they would take him up on that challenge and try to arrange such a show.

That show, All In, would sell out in 30 minutes. As said, it took time to arrange, with the show being announced in May 2018, a literal year after Meltzer did his musing, and not happening until the first of September. With talent from Ring of Honor, the remnants of the NWA, long fallen to bare bones but still existing in some forms, and others, the show would be a great success, with Cody appearing on the show to win the NWA Championship, just as his father had done 40 years in the past. Like his father, his reign would not be long, as he would drop it less than two months later to the opponent he defeated for it at All In on the NWA’s 70th anniversary show. But the success of All In got notice.

On January 1st, 2019, Cody would appear at a press conference to announce the formation of a brand new ‘wrestling organization’, All Elite Wrestling, backed by billionaire Tony Khan. With the first shows planned to debut in the spring, Cody reached out to his brother. The WWE had seen nothing of worth in them. Maybe Dustin should consider going somewhere that did. One that would at least TRY to avoid the pitfalls that the likes of Jarrett and Dixie Carter did that destroyed any hope the only other company that could be called a competitor to the WWE, that being TNA. Dustin agreed, and so on May 25th, at the inaugural AEW PPV, Double Or Nothing, he would face his brother, once again ‘The Natural’ and wearing an outfit split down the middle, one side of his face unpainted and one side painted up in Goldust esque patterns as a nod to the two versions of himself that he’d brought to the dance the most. And free of any restrictions that the WWE might have forced them into, given complete creative freedom to have the match they’d wanted to have years earlier and been denied, both brothers clearly intended to knock it out of the park.

They did.

Their match would be met with near universal acclaim, getting a coveted ‘five stars’ from Meltzer and winning ‘Match of the Year’ from Pro Wrestling Illustrated. Dustin would lose the match, which is what should have happened, but it was one of those matches where there was no loser. Dustin, the dismissed and discarded, and his half-brother, the relegated and rejected, showed that it wasn’t them who couldn’t spin gold, it was the hands that refused to try.

Dustin’s remained with AEW since, as a wrestler and coach. While he has claimed no titles, and has lost more than he’s won, and was somewhat tied up to the Codyverse silliness that FullLeatherJacket spoke of, he is still an established midcard name, and hasn’t had any apparent backslides with his addictions, or terrible stinker matches to take the shine off his Double or Nothing debut. But, as 2023 began, Dustin Runnels announced on Twitter that, at 35 years in, he was going to call it a career and that this year would be his last.

Maybe. Wrestlers and retirement are not something that stay together. It might just be as a full time wrestler, he could still make occasional match appearances. And while Cody, ironically, did so well in AEW that the WWE actually wanted him back after he and Tony Khan had a falling out (along with some other issues spoken of by Jacket and others), and his return seemed like it may well be marred by yet more Vince assholeness (the WWE recently ‘created’ a new ‘Heavyweight Title’ which many say was done solely so Cody could win it and be a ‘WWE World Champion’, while keeping the REAL World Title on Roman Reigns, who has had it for nearly THREE YEARS and seemingly will keep wearing it for even more months and even years because drat it, they decided he was The Guy and he’s gonna stay on top, just like Hogan, just like Cena. Le sigh), it seems like for all his ups and downs, and strangeness and unfortunateness, Dustin’s come out of it scarred and wore, but intact and hopefully destined for smooth sailing into the sunset.

One has no idea, of course, what might happen. It could suddenly fall off a cliff. All one can do is hope it doesn’t. But you cannot say, for better or for worse, that Dustin didn't carve out his own niche both in memory of his father and outside of his shadow. And while it’s been hard, a Chinese proverb comes to mind.

“Real gold is not afraid of the melting pot.”

Exit, stage left.

...but preferably not like this.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 26, 2023

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

One of the best parts of this match was Jim Ross, Good Ol' JR, starting the match quite obviously reading from a script, tired and old and putting in the motions to collect a paycheck... and as the match goes on, JR comes alive again, getting excited, getting invested, until at the end he was the JR of twenty years ago, the kind of announcer to shout with all his might to stop the damned match.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Wyatt, to try and dismiss the so-called ‘power of the demon’, would defeat Goldust and then wipe off his face paint, declaring he was ‘JUST A MAN!’

So next week, Dustin Rhodes was back…albeit still in Goldust’s outfit (no face paint) and with his music, to face Wyatt as ‘a man’. He lost again.
after that second match my friend joked that bray was going to start painting dustin's face while shouting "HE'S NOT A MAN"

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Caught up on the Behind the Bastards series on Vince so far, I thought I knew about most of Vince's scumbaggery but they've already mentioned a story I didn't know about and it's just barely getting into his actual tenure at WWF.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Watching it again I'm not sure how he was supposed to conceal a pipe considering he had no sleeves so I may be mistaking what actually happened.

iirc he's supposed to look like he's punching out the windows but have one of those emergency window breakers concealed in his hand

first time he does it the thing flies inside the car so he just tries to do the second window legit and nearly loses an arm

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Deki posted:

Caught up on the Behind the Bastards series on Vince so far, I thought I knew about most of Vince's scumbaggery but they've already mentioned a story I didn't know about and it's just barely getting into his actual tenure at WWF.

They said it will be as long as their series on Kissinger lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
6 hour long episodes is not enough to cover vince

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i thought jessa venture had gone alt right because of all the conspiracy theories he believes but it turns out he still owns

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Ventura was a shockingly good governor, he kicks rear end.

His only really major flaw as I see it was not really having support from either major party and having the local media cry big weepy tears about how uncouth he was. Think of the Decorum!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What the work schedule like for a low to mid card guy with a major organization? Like it is two shows a week, and would they fly to most locations or travel with the trucks moving the show equipment? Do they have it set up so they can go home for a few weeks every few months? Does WWE have a trailer with nothing but workout equipment or do they rent a local gym?

Closest reference point I can think of is baseball playing 162 games a year but at least they can go home for half those & have winters off.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

I'm not super sure about these days, but in general the last 20/30 years it's basically 'drive in rented cars/own cars' between towns, or maybe a group of the wrestlers in a tour bus (Goldust's tourette's gimmick began because he started doing his take on the condition in one of said buses). If it's further away, use planes. You basically find gyms and whatnot where you end up. I'm not sure exactly how days off work, but they seem to not be that many. In fact, being in a wrestling 'world' can actually warp you to be unable to handle days off: there's a story at the tail end of Steve Austin's career when he was not active and when visited by someone (Vince? Jim Ross? Someone else?), they noted that he was basically sitting around drinking and going stir crazy because he was so used to the constant hustle and bustle and go go go of the pro wrestling life that he didn't have any idea what to do with himself when he didn't have to do it.

Here's some stories from WWE related to 'getting around' and 'how they work out' (obliquely).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qITgiihpxC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heEF8MIEUFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xllepz3aiG4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6UxIiFYfe0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
your on the road for 300 days of year no health care for the constant bumps you take and if you arent one of the top draws you get paid poo poo