Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

New Leaf posted:

Yeah. I get it. I've dropped from 66 to 52 over the last two days from either losing on 6 or escaping and bleeding 2 at a time. I tried that deck with an entire instruction manual and can't even get that to work.

Honestly if you can focus on only losing 1 cube a match you'll end up climbing. It is demoralising but halfing or quatering your cube losses is huge.

And eventually youll fight bots after some losses for a nice 8 cube if you're lucky.

New page edit: High evolved Cyclops fucks hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm CL4676, I shouldn't suck this bad. I just can't win with anything. Shuri telegraphs too much and gets Shang Chi'd, Darkhawk just gets countered and Enchantressed, I don't understand it. Nothing I play works. I kick rear end the entire game and then on 6 they pull the rug out from under me. I've been frustrated plenty but it's never been this bad.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Cyclops deserves it, considering he was previously in the running for worst card in the game

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Saw the patch notes linked up above, and this caught my eye:

https://twitter.com/MARVELSNAP/status/1661814989546741760?s=20

Don't have Negasonic nor is she in my shop but is it true she's now a mini Enchantress?

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I'm CL4676, I shouldn't suck this bad. I just can't win with anything. Shuri telegraphs too much and gets Shang Chi'd, Darkhawk just gets countered and Enchantressed, I don't understand it. Nothing I play works. I kick rear end the entire game and then on 6 they pull the rug out from under me. I've been frustrated plenty but it's never been this bad.

I think I found your problem if you're just randomly dropping naked hawks and shuris. That's not "kicking rear end all game" that's just setting yourself up to get rocked

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Artelier posted:

Don't have Negasonic nor is she in my shop but is it true she's now a mini Enchantress?

Nah, that’s a misprint on Twitter.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

Artelier posted:

Saw the patch notes linked up above, and this caught my eye:

https://twitter.com/MARVELSNAP/status/1661814989546741760?s=20

Oh poo poo I've been using her all yesterday as a way to secure a lane. What a change and just in time to smash luke cages face in.

Edit: logged in to check and she still has the normal destroy self+next played card. They must of typed the wrong stuff or a future update.

Jehuti fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 26, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You mean they didn't change negasonic to be identical to enchantress but 3 energy?

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

No Wave posted:

You mean they didn't change negasonic to be identical to enchantress but 3 energy?

listen a boy can dream ok

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

dipple posted:

I think I found your problem if you're just randomly dropping naked hawks and shuris. That's not "kicking rear end all game" that's just setting yourself up to get rocked

Unless things worth perfectly there's only so many layers you can hide behind. Of course I armor and Cosmo when possible but most of the time poo poo doesn't work out right.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sorry if this comes off as a victory lap, but I've climbed from 102 to 111 with this HE deck, it doesn't have a ton of rare cards or anything and Hazmat might be on the chopping block for Storm. She-Hulk could also become Spider-Man or Rogue or Debrii (I don't have Rogue or Debrii)

# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Nebula
# (2) Hazmat
# (2) Luke Cage
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) High Evolutionary
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) She-Hulk
# (6) Hulk
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTHVrZUNhZ2UifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkN5Y2xvcHMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFib21pbmF0aW9uIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGVIdWxrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIaWdoRXZvbHV0aW9uYXJ5In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIdWxrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIYXptYXQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlRoZVRoaW5nIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOZWJ1bGEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNob2NrZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkVuY2hhbnRyZXNzIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

New Leaf posted:

Unless things worth perfectly there's only so many layers you can hide behind. Of course I armor and Cosmo when possible but most of the time poo poo doesn't work out right.

Well, then it sounds like you're just staying in too long. For instance, if someone Shuri'd or Darkhawked me, and it's turn 6, and I must win that lane.....I probably have an answer somewhere in there you know? Shang / Valk / Shadow King (with Death), Enchantress / Rogue, Wong / Sera out for a big combo coming, plot twist I don't need to win that lane I have Jeff/Doom and I'm 100% winning the other lane I need, I Spiderman'd a lane and moved it out of the way and Galactus is coming, I just plain have bigger cards for whatever reason.

It's a possible blind spot. Your cards are good, how could they have the cards to stop you? But in a game where by default you have 12 cards and you draw like 9 of them by turn 6, the chances they have the card to stop you is really high. Not counting extra card draw, randomly generated cards, location shenanigans etc.

If you care about cube winning, the game is actually risk mitigation. And a huge part is acknowledging that the opponent can, and most likely will, stop you. Otherwise, you can stay in and hopefully be more like "Oh shucks, they did have the counter, shame, anyway next game!" And sometimes that means, the game can effectively end at turn 1 even, if you know straight away they are playing a counter deck. But until they snap, there's no need to rush the retreat.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Infinite Karma posted:

Sorry if this comes off as a victory lap, but I've climbed from 102 to 111 with this HE deck, it doesn't have a ton of rare cards or anything and Hazmat might be on the chopping block for Storm. She-Hulk could also become Spider-Man or Rogue or Debrii (I don't have Rogue or Debrii)

# (1) Sunspot
# (1) Nebula
# (2) Hazmat
# (2) Luke Cage
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) High Evolutionary
# (4) Enchantress
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) She-Hulk
# (6) Hulk
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU3Vuc3BvdCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiTHVrZUNhZ2UifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkN5Y2xvcHMifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFib21pbmF0aW9uIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGVIdWxrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIaWdoRXZvbHV0aW9uYXJ5In0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIdWxrIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJIYXptYXQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlRoZVRoaW5nIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJOZWJ1bGEifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNob2NrZXIifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkVuY2hhbnRyZXNzIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

i quite like she-hulk for a big abomination + her +some other stuff turn 6 if hulk isnt viable, if you wanted to swap rogue in i think i would probably do it for enchantress. theres a lot of cage and rogue running around and rogue helps to reset if they rogue your cage.

i havent played with flex slots in the deck but i think between hazmat and scorpion id do scorpion, he helps get your abomination cost down easier rather than having to wait til they have played stuff that can already get pinged by cyclops or thing or wasp, who i guess you arent running. storm + cyclops is definitely something i am keen to throw together and see how it goes at some point but for now im going to grudgingly put away HE and do my seasonal destroy cards quest...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Never mind, game is good again

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

quite stretched out posted:

i quite like she-hulk for a big abomination + her +some other stuff turn 6 if hulk isnt viable, if you wanted to swap rogue in i think i would probably do it for enchantress. theres a lot of cage and rogue running around and rogue helps to reset if they rogue your cage.

i havent played with flex slots in the deck but i think between hazmat and scorpion id do scorpion, he helps get your abomination cost down easier rather than having to wait til they have played stuff that can already get pinged by cyclops or thing or wasp, who i guess you arent running. storm + cyclops is definitely something i am keen to throw together and see how it goes at some point but for now im going to grudgingly put away HE and do my seasonal destroy cards quest...

She-Hulk is very good when it goes off well, but it's been relatively rare in play that I get her really cheaply on T5.

I also don't have Wasp or I'd probably run her. Scorpion though feels less effective than Hazmat as a multi-lane effect. It's really there to discount Abomination, and Luke is so common that I might cut Hazmat for tech, it's just been so rare that I get Abom to 0 with all the counterplay out there. I might even include Armor as tech.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
There’s space to add more vanilla cards to the game. Not a lot, but some. If they don’t think so, they are cowards. You could have a 3/3 vanilla. But why, right? There’s already Cyclops, who is better. Precisely because it’s another card for HE or Patriot or C3 or maybe something else in the future, who knows. Are there better options? Probably! But you might not have those options. And who knows what deck might really need a 3/3 in the future.

It doesn’t have a lot of legs. But it does have legs.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

crestfallen posted:

There’s space to add more vanilla cards to the game. Not a lot, but some. If they don’t think so, they are cowards. You could have a 3/3 vanilla. But why, right? There’s already Cyclops, who is better. Precisely because it’s another card for HE or Patriot or C3 or maybe something else in the future, who knows. Are there better options? Probably! But you might not have those options. And who knows what deck might really need a 3/3 in the future.

Sounds great for my Surfer Patriot deck.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

New Leaf posted:

I've been working on trying to get better at recognizing what my opponent is playing, what cards they might have, and ask "what beats me here, and are they likely to have it?"

It's a hard skill to work on and requires a lot of deck knowledge, which has only become more difficult as the meta evens out. When it was just Shuri or even Blackbolt/Stature decks running wild it was maybe a little easier. Other decks are harder to gauge, like Galactus, where if maybe all they've played is Wave and there aren't some of the other usual tells out there you just don't know. I've snapped on wave before even with other cards played, thinking they were about to throw down Galactus and I had a way to stop them only for a different card like Doom to be played out.

The turn timer being shorter is important for gameplay but definitely makes you have to think out different scenarios quickly. Sometimes I end up retreating simply because I can't calculate all the possibilities or don't feel I have enough knowledge and it just isn't worth that extra cube to stay in.

It is also really hard to not want to play things out if my opponent snaps early, especially if I have parts of my combo or what would work. But I have to keep in mind, if they are snapping they most likely have their key cards in hand or recognize I am playing a deck that their deck can often beat. I still stick around far too often for 2 cube loses because I want to see how things work out for me, that feeling of "I just need to draw that one key card...".

Plenty of times I think I have them, or take a coin flip on what cards I am pretty sure are coming but it matters where I play my own to win, and I make the wrong call and lose the 50/50.

All of this will forever be something I'm working on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I also do try to remember that retreat later is a thing if I'm just not feeling confident I'll win, but am also not sure if my opponent feels confident they will win. It does save me a cube from time to time.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
That's cool people are playing wave as a way to play hulk turn 6 and still get a hit of unspent energy while acting as a sandman effect. HE is gonna be a blight for a while huh

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

crestfallen posted:

There’s space to add more vanilla cards to the game. Not a lot, but some.

I'm just imagining the upcoming release of a 2/2 vanilla as a 6000-token Series 5 card.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
HE with Spider-Man and Storm is a fun variant.

By fun I mean that I hate it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Opopanax posted:

that frown is the best

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

New Leaf posted:

I've been having this same exact problem and I really think I'm going to take a hiatus from the game, if not put it down for good. I've been shedding cubes like crazy ever since the last patch dropped and the idea of having to start over from 40 or even 30 next season when I managed to reach 90 last month is draining my will to enjoy the game. I retreat from 9/10 games, I swear I am not exaggerating, and the games where I feel confident enough to make a snap in are the ones I always seem to end up losing 8 for. I am a very, very conservative player when it comes to retreating/snapping with extremely strict rules to only snap when I have a clear and obvious advantage and the nut draw, to always retreat when my opponent snaps, and to pay very close attention to what kind of deck my opponent is playing and I am still dropping rank like a stone. My current gameplay experience is worse than when I first broke into pool 3 and was straight up outclassed by the other players. I do have good decks, access to good cards, and none of them work for earning me cubes.

I really don't know what is wrong. The game simply has not been this bad for me before. I was really anticipating I'd make it to infinite this season given enough time and effort and from where I'm standing I'm going to be lucky if I don't end the season lower than I started. I'm not going to pretend I'm good at this game or anything but either my skill has taken a horrible decline somehow or my luck hitting 90 last season drained every drop of chance out of my body.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Opopanax posted:

I dunno, a variant for a card you don't actually play on the board seems like a bit of a bummer to me

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lol, someone just learned a lesson

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Opopanax posted:

Lol, someone just learned a lesson

This doesn't tell much of a story. Did you quake?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They played Shuri into Kitty to get a 16 power Kitty on T5, but they did it on Orchis (which gives you sentinels), so he filled his hand instead and Kitty didn't go back, and they instantly retreated because I had a huge lead in the other two lanes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

hanyolo posted:

I dunno, a variant for a card you don't actually play on the board seems like a bit of a bummer to me

See also the blueprint Hulk Buster variant, which looks awesome and you’ll never see it.

Also.

Sadly they retreated. But the shuri, nimrod, destroyer/galactus combo is extremely fun.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010

hanyolo posted:

You get to see his cute frown at the start every single game that sounds like a win tbh

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
what are the best decks to use in pool two? i'm in there now as i was maxing out on credits and i'm trying to figure out what deck(s) i can play with / practice for. zoo worked really well for me but getting wrecked by killmonger and co. now...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Devil Dino & Moon Girl is basically the best Pool 1/2 deck, I'm pretty sure. If you're playing Kazoo make sure to save your one drops until turn 6, you can concede priority so their Killmonger has no targets and you can dump your entire hand across the board.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
I played Kazoo to infinite the first full month I played, although I got lucky and got Aero as my first Pool 3 card which slotted in nicely.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Opopanax posted:

This rules. Dan Hipp variants are the only ones I buy in the shop, and I just bought Stature myself a couple days ago. Perfect timing!

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

Opopanax posted:

Heartbreaking: my realization that Wasp and Abomination are the only No Ability cards with Dan Hipp variants. How will I build a Hipp Evolutionary deck now?!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quetzadilla posted:

Yeah the problem with HE is that there are currently extremely limited ways to mitigate the pieces of his kit from across the table but many ways to further enable it with existing cards. Even just having cyclops and misty be ongoing effects would go a long way to helping that i feel like. Seems a little pointless to have hulk's effect be ongoing because I doubt there are many situations where getting a lucky enchantress/rogue snipe against hulk on t6 to bring him down to ONLY 12 power is gonna matter.

I literally won a game today because Rogue took Hulk’s power and the swing was enough to win me that lane

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I put in Super Skrull for the Hevo mirror matches can take opponent's Luke and Hulk

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

godogg posted:

Heartbreaking: my realization that Wasp and Abomination are the only No Ability cards with Dan Hipp variants. How will I build a Hipp Evolutionary deck now?!

Hipp is adding new ones consistently:

https://twitter.com/MISTERHIPP/status/1661770355059617794

Isn't Abomination actually brand new?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

victorious posted:

I'm just imagining the upcoming release of a 2/2 vanilla as a 6000-token Series 5 card.
🤫

This whole add vanilla cards to the game idea is really a Trojan horse to convince them to release some cards straight to S3

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I can’t believe that Magik currently has seven unreleased variants and none of them are a Dan Hipp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

There's also a Hipp Luke Cage, so keep that in mind.