Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Considering the main setting of EW Hildy my bet is that Asura is in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mmmmhmmm...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mister Olympus posted:

I'd even hazard this is going to extend to a lot of 6.5 because unless they pull something weird and we get two EX in a patch again like with bozja, 6.5 will probably rush the conclusion a little given Zeromus isn't even the EX trial, we know it's Asura from fanfest promo stuff. So probably it'll be a rushed conclusion to the current things, more fluff, and a sudden wild twist at the very end to throw us into the next expansion.

It's far more likely Asura, the deity tied to Thavinar, will appear as part of the Hildibrand story line where a guy is teaming up with people in Thavinar as part of a side content trial like Hildy usually has and hte team is showing that off early than it is they're spoiling plot develops for the MSQ 5 months out.

Other factors include that the Boss is big person with multiple arms and multiple weapons and a form change gimmick, which is Hildy friends/enemies whole gimmick.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Nicest thing I will say is that the some of the ff4 remixed music has been amazing.

i have sang "tsunami, tsunami, tsunami no cagnazzo, kame otoko" to myself so many times in the past like six months

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

As for 6.4 MSQ, it did seem to be a bit drawn out. The overall plan was pretty straightforward, but Urianger and Y'shtola went over it repeatedly in the course of about an hour or so. I may have taken enough hits on the head to think I remember Titan driving a car, but I'm not *that* forgetful.

The little character moments were fun but there wasn't much that really stood out compared to earlier 6.0-6.x (unless you're a big Estinien fan), and to be honest a lot of us called exactly where the main thrust of the plot was going to go multiple patches ago.

For as much as it is a jrpg genre trope, it's been a while since we had a full out trial fight with a villain only to have them immediately go "ha ha, actually I still win!" afterwards. So there's that!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

7.0 is gonna bring us female Hrothgar
i think everyone is gonna hate how they look

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what people want:

what people will get:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's what happens when it is the only exponential stat in a world of linear increases. Crit is both critical strike chance, and critical strike damage, in one stat.

:goonsay: I think you'll find it's quadratic.

There are some balancing factors to the entire thing. As mentioned speed is likewise nonlinear by itself (if also not technically exponential). The substat effects are also multiplicative with each other so having lots of one increases the relative value of the others. But, sure, crit or speed generally win.

That said I'm not really sure that the substat system would benefit from making optimization harder. The discrete optimization nature of melding with breakpoints and per-item caps and stats in materia-sized chunks means that finding actual optimums is already difficult, especially if a speedstat is relevant. That it's usually easy for players to find an "eh, good enough" approximation is a good thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Endorph posted:

what people want:

what people will get:

Don't toy with my emotions like that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

what people want:

what people will get:

Okay with either. Now what, Yevonitte? Hell give me both like the High/Midlander split

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Endorph posted:

what people want:

what people will get:

i can guarantee you there would be a significant amount of people who would be furious with either option

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
another thing is leaving people with a good baseline of "crit is very strong" is good. if you tried to change that you probably would have to remove the crit damage increase aspect of it and turn it back into dhit 0.5, which makes jobs with autocrits (a lot of them! because "low rolling feels bad") absolutely miserable lol. as someone whos played since 2.1 and has had to live through many things like "healers worrying about acc" or speedsam, where were at now is fine. it doesnt need to be anything more because when it is anything more it detracts from the part where you actually play the game and kill stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay with either. Now what, Yevonitte? Hell give me both like the High/Midlander split
what if they look like female ronso from ff10

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

what if they look like female ronso from ff10

Yeah maybe we can make it work

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

New raid kicked rear end, especially the last boss. FF14 is a good goddamn game

Also I looked up spoilers to see what the savage-exclusive orch roll was called and all I can say is :eyepop:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i gotta say i like having a Real Big Yard

except i don't appreciate the explorer mammet standing eXACTLY where i would want to extend the boardwalk. fucker.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Since the patch, every time I swap gearsets between jobs that use the same gear but different glam plates, it gives me the "glamours could not be restored" error and prompts me to update the gear set list. Except that it did restore all the glamours. Going into the gear set viewer to see which things are conflicting shows me.. the exact things that I'm wearing and that are part of the gearset. Its really weird. Plus unlike 90% of other people who have problems with glam plate switching, this does *not* break my portraits.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

As much as I like the Scions, I really hope 7.0 onwards firmly plants them into side character status so a new group can take over, because there's no real room left for the core cast to grow into.

I forgot to post this but this is a really weird take because...that's what every single expansion has done since ARR. WE are constantly losing the scions and having groups of new characters rotate in and out. Even in the expac that was about getting hte band back together (ShB) had an entire new world of extended cast that got spot light and the game that was the big finale of a decade of writing still managed to introduce multiple entire new side casts and a long stretch of the plot where you didn't have your scion buddies and had a new cast to work with. They're not gonna write them out completely because...A) That would be dumb but also B) They're quite skilled at writing around needing to get certain characters out of the screen to give others screentime.

Even back in ARR the plot is "Rotating plots City-State and surrounding countryside plots where you get to meet the different scions and hte political landscape"-> "Oops dead scions you're all alone" ->"Hanging out with Cid and New Kid for 11 of 50 levels."->"Teams back together time to get the whole army out here for military bullshit"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 26, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thundarr posted:

Since the patch, every time I swap gearsets between jobs that use the same gear but different glam plates, it gives me the "glamours could not be restored" error and prompts me to update the gear set list. Except that it did restore all the glamours. Going into the gear set viewer to see which things are conflicting shows me.. the exact things that I'm wearing and that are part of the gearset. Its really weird. Plus unlike 90% of other people who have problems with glam plate switching, this does *not* break my portraits.

essentially, at some point in the patch, they changed the load-a-gearset process and moved the check to see if the loaded gear matches the gear set specs to before the associated glam plate is applied to the gear.

it's fucky, and I'm assuming it's just a bug for the moment

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Having the same issue here.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Kheldarn posted:

Also, WHY DOES THIS GAME LOVE EYE PATCHES SO MUCH? I'm SO tired of seeing the head gear be an eye patch. It's as bad as casters always getting robes.

:wrong: Eye patches rock and I'll hear no more of this slander.

Endorph posted:

what people want:

what people will get:

Don't be ridiculous, we'll never get hair that long and luxurious on player models.

Actually, judging by that picture Waffleman just posted and the amount of extra effort they've apparently been needing for male Hrothgar hairstyles...if they are planning female Hrothgar, they're not building in hairstyling at all, I betcha.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I forgot to post this but this is a really weird take because...that's what every single expansion has done since ARR. WE are constantly losing the scions and having groups of new characters rotate in and out. Even in the expac that was about getting hte band back together (ShB) had an entire new world of extended cast that got spot light and the game that was the big finale of a decade of writing still managed to introduce multiple entire new side casts and a long stretch of the plot where you didn't have your scion buddies and had a new cast to work with. They're not gonna write them out completely because...A) That would be dumb but also B) They're quite skilled at writing around needing to get certain characters out of the screen to give others screentime.

Even back in ARR the plot is "Rotating plots City-State and surrounding countryside plots where you get to meet the different scions and hte political landscape"-> "Oops dead scions you're all alone" ->"Hanging out with Cid and New Kid for 11 of 50 levels."->"Teams back together time to get the whole army out here for military bullshit"

Also beyond this there's a technical aspect. The Scions let them have a large group to choose from for Trusts without having to constantly make new Trust character stuff (only code in the movements).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its less that im tired of the scions and more that you can tell the difference between the scions they care about and the scions they dont

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

y'shtola: hello, welcome to final fantasy fourteen, shadowbringers. i made out with this lion man. i will now vanish for 90% of the expansion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also beyond this there's a technical aspect. The Scions let them have a large group to choose from for Trusts without having to constantly make new Trust character stuff (only code in the movements).

I just find it...ahistorical for like of a better word. HW's lead in had us lose everyone but you Alphi and Tataru and by the end of 3.0 you had just Y'sh back, the Ishgard contingent of friends and now Krile.

StB ends its prologue with Papalymo gone, Y'sh gets put in the medical tent and and the rest of the scions splitting up to cover poo poo while you lyse, relative newcomer Ali and Alphi go across the globe to hangout with 3 different sets of new buddies then you come back to let the Ala Mhigo buddies take the limelight for a bit.

ShB was the first time every scion was Around and Doing Things since pre-Titan ARR and even then the first half was you getting everyone back 1 by 1 and thus letting the new cast get focus while you rebuild.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

y'shtola: hello, welcome to final fantasy fourteen, shadowbringers. i made out with this lion man. i will now vanish for 90% of the expansion.

But she's been, like, the main character of the EW patches

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sorry, I've gotta go do more research again.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Emissary posted:

:wrong: Eye patches rock and I'll hear no more of this slander.

Yeah, but how many do you need?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Hogama posted:

Sorry, I've gotta go do more research again.

New solo roleplay duty: Y'shtola does research in the depths of the Sharlayan archives.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got a 3-pack of Fantasias during a sale a while back, I think with the new patch it might be time to use another of them. Past incarnations:
M Elezen

F Au Ra

F Elezen

M Au Ra

I figure I'm either going big with a M Roe, small with a Lala, or seeing what I can do with the oft-neglected Hyurs. Any opinions?

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, but how many do you need?

The ones I've picked up through normal play are largely aiming/striking/scouting, excluding the early no-frills ARR stuff, so it'd be nice to have some fancy dyeable ones for tanks and/or maiming.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

But she's been, like, the main character of the EW patches

She was also literally the XIV representative in Dissidia

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Waffleman_ posted:

She was also literally the XIV representative in Dissidia

In fairness, I think the XIV representation in crossover games were more for that game's character diversity than Y'shtola being prominent.

She's visibly non-human, she's female, she's a healer (or at least was when they all picked her). When we're talking about the 'first line' of an FF crossover game roster where you're mostly just picking one or two heroes and maybe a villain from each game? She's checking a bunch of boxes that most other game's reps aren't. Far stronger choice than Thancred, who would just look like Budget Locke from that perspective.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

they've basically dropped all the main scions they didn't seem to care as much about (minfilia, papalymo, yda) and replaced them with ones they're clearly obsessed with (estinien, graha, probably zero). krile and y'shtola are the last scions needing some actual writing and hopefully they'll actually get it in 6.5 and 7.0 based on what MSQ's been indicating

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yda/Lyse got a whole expansion pack worth of focus

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i'm more referring to the fact that they remade yda into an entirely different character and then immediately moved that remade character out of the core scions. yda is a core scion in ARR and HW, but when lyse appears in 3.55, her switch from scion to city-state character in 4.0 was already planned. she was in real years a scion only very briefly, which i think matters for how the audience thinks about her

Valentin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 26, 2023

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Aren’t they going to have Krile show up a lot in 7.0 because of the fact that she hasn’t gotten much focus?

Thundarr posted:

For as much as it is a jrpg genre trope, it's been a while since we had a full out trial fight with a villain only to have them immediately go "ha ha, actually I still win!" afterwards. So there's that!

this is just Golbez working as he was always intended, even in dissidia where he’s not evil and is taking the piss out of most of the villains

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 26, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Waffleman_ posted:

Yda/Lyse got a whole expansion pack worth of focus

And then they forgot about her after her expansion was done, she didn't even show up in the Ala Mhigo role quest and had like a one line cameo in EW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ojjeorago posted:

If it's a filler arc, when are we getting the quest where Estinien learns to drive?

That definitely clicks in my head.

Despite what's happening in the plot, my brain just isn't registering Golbez or his plan as a legitimate threat.