Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 18
Title: Researcher

Author's Notes

Something about my latest art style change screams ''Archer'' at me, but I couldn't tell you what it is exactly that does it. Still, I'm really liking the direction the art is headed. I'll be out of town at a con this weekend, so there may not be an update Tuesday, but I'll try to get it done anyways. This one is popping out of the oven early, because mere moments after hitting post and triple checking everything I'll be off and away to fun and adventures. We never really get to focus on Jaina, and I like to think that's the way she wants it. Like someone who defines themselves by the company they keep, rather than the person they try to be.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

All your sins have caught up with you 8-LEGZ!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: Debated whether to put a double tailed thought bubble here but realized that would be almost impossible to read

quote:

Reversal

Alt: Hopefully the ladies will not have to work all their personal problems out through violent kung fu duels in the future

quote:

The Gods showed the first human to YISUN, bringing her in a walnut shell because she was so delicate. They could not believe how small and frail she was. Though she slept quite peacefully, at every breath they quailed and wrung their hands, fearing that she would fall apart at any moment. They crept carefully and cautiously into YISUN’s speaking hall, cradling her and whispering in hushed tones as they gently presented her upon a cushion before the Lord of Songs.

YISUN took one look at her and said, “This is the most dangerous being in existence.”

-Spasms

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao at this panel in particular

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Hell yes I want to go out clubbing with Gonzo in a hot air balloon tricked out with gaming pcs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Boba Pearl posted:

Author's Notes

Something about my latest art style change screams ''Archer'' at me, but I couldn't tell you what it is exactly that does it. Still, I'm really liking the direction the art is headed.

I can see the Archer-ness, especially in the third and fourth panels of the final page here! Out of curiosity, I also went back and checked out your first posts of your own art in this thread and I really admire how much your art has grown since then and your openness to feedback and drive to improve and grow as an artist! Might be a bit of coming from a lurker but I've thought it for a while.

I also found this post which you had quoted that I had completely forgotten about and thought would be worth sharing again as it is fantastic.

Themata posted:

Shame on you both.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

that's some junji ito poo poo eeeeesh

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A skelekid also deserves love!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tomorrow we will get an update on the life and times of the Skeleton Kid

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Calexio posted:

I can see the Archer-ness, especially in the third and fourth panels of the final page here! Out of curiosity, I also went back and checked out your first posts of your own art in this thread and I really admire how much your art has grown since then and your openness to feedback and drive to improve and grow as an artist! Might be a bit of coming from a lurker but I've thought it for a while.

I also found this post which you had quoted that I had completely forgotten about and thought would be worth sharing again as it is fantastic.

Posts like this are the lumber that keeps my forges fueled, never feel weird to give (me) a compliment.

Also I didn't remember that edit from the first time it was posted. It's a good edit.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
gently caress man it's been a wild 3 years

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyA8zfouG4Y

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Meg!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tall Penguin: Rebecca and the Bin

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, Proffy fell asleep while the Hoi-Polloi prepared to ask her a question.

We learn more of why things work the way they do in Beanworld.

Also, since it's Friday, and all of my spare brain processing power currently gets spent on Zelda (Tears of the Kingdom is so loving good, guys), I've decided to post something else too.

You might remember earlier in the thread that there was talk of a Zelda comic. One with fantastic art. A serious story. One that's very long. One that someone was talking about posting but then never did.

This is not that Zelda comic!

I give you Hurl Warriors by Finnish artist setz. As you may have realized, it's a parody of Hyrule Warriors. All you really need to know about the story of that game is that Cia is the main villain, she's a "guardian of time" who watches over timelines, and through that she fell in love with Link and got bitter about not being able to have him which led to Ganondorf getting involved and giving her power while also purging her good side, which took form as the character Lana. Further explanations will be kept to a minimum.

It's pretty short, so I'm just gonna be posting a single image of it a day. The installments are of varying length, the majority are just a single four-panel strip. This first page is the longest by a rather wide margin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Tall Penguin: Rebecca and the Bin

i name thee lumberjack bmo

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Benagain posted:

Hell yes I want to go out clubbing with Gonzo in a hot air balloon tricked out with gaming pcs

I have bad news about what Gonzo means when he talks about picking up chicks

Still would probably be a good time though

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I paid 1 euro for this yesterday. I blame this thread.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Ron Perlman and Warwick Davis. Can't be too terrible.

Hopefully Val is still bloodthirsty

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of this, despite having listened to approximately one million hours of bad movie podcasts, that must mean it's good, right?

Right?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, Proffy fell asleep while the Hoi-Polloi prepared to ask her a question.

I really liked this: if it was a good answer, it must have been a good question!

Anyway, Bybloemen updated yesterday.

https://twitter.com/bybloemen/status/1662044074235289600?s=20

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

Ron Pearlman as Boltar - the best character in the comic (it will probably be several months before he appears in this thread)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Themata posted:

Shame on you both.
Hahaha, I had completely forgotten :haw:

Fingerpori

ANSU still on break, sorry. The reason it's difficult to scan enough of it is because every cartoon takes 1-2 pages, usually, so every separate cartoon requires at least 1 full scanning operation. Takes a lot of effort and time.

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

215 - A big box
216 - Wixtar player
217 - Hybeldub
218 - Hotel

219 - Evolution of the six-wheelers :biotruths:

220 - Something I wanted to ask you :nws:

221 - Sorry, folks

Thoughts about alien sex: 3 (+1)
Alien species seen: 85
:biotruths:: 13 (+1; evolution of six-wheelers)
Talking character deaths: 14
Deaths overall: 47+

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Riker shaking his head at Plume.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
How you can tell he's an accidental space spy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what a twist!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Would Squid Games have been better if losers of this game had been consumed by a cute pink-haired girl instead of shot with machine guns? Discuss.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Commander doesn't have time to put himself out

05/04/2015 - Big exciting weekend

quote:

So this joke isn’t great but I was watching that interview with Stephanie McMahon and Chris Jericho and figured it was as appropriate as anything considering I didn’t have much of an opportunity to think of anything better. Triple H and Stephanie have such a delightfully video game esque relationship, it’s perfect. I’d love to see Zelda as some kinda Stephanie-esque feels-so-good-to-be-so-bad heel. and I mean, not hard to see how Link fits into all this…

One cool thing that came to my attention, this duder I used to babysit like fifteen years ago back when he was like nine and living across the street from us and pals with my little bro grew up to be a pretty accomplished amateur wrestler and just put together an audition video for WWE’s Tough Enough that you can share on the various social medias and watch and vote up to help him out!

Second, more immediately exciting for me, order of business; I just got engaged!

Life milestone unlocked! Celebrate by checking out my fiance, Brett’s rad webcomic, Glam Rock Gorilla!

05/11/2015 - The adventures of Mr. Fish and Fattest Pigeon

quote:

I am really sorry so many comics lately have been kinda phoned in but I have been basically constantly booked solid with important things I’m not allowed to talk about and maybe never will but have to finish in a really cut-throat turnaround, so here’s a comic about fattest pigeon aggressing at or possibly trying to romance Mr. Fish.

Also, there should be a Platinum Black Update tomorrow so that’s areal comic to look forward to at least.

05/18/2015 - I could probably make shirts of that if folks wanted

quote:

I wanted to come up with an excuse to make them all wear Mad Max clothes again but there was nothing to make fun f because the movie was exactly what it set out to be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#572: Greatest Killer - Defaced Property

#573: Greatest Killer - Painful Pointy Peril

#574: Greatest Killer - Memory Bank Loan

Column's asymmetrical design is pretty fun, and I appreciate that ferret doesn't just flip the sprite when he's facing to the left. Would be a pain to do in an actual game.
MS Paint Masterpieces
#575: Greatest Killer - Sissy Robots

#576: Greatest Killer - Overseer's Duty

#577: Greatest Killer - Monster Mash

#578: Greatest Killer - Good Is Dumb

Well, that was the 'Greatest Killer' arc. I picked it because it's a reasonably self-contained side story which still gives a feel for what MSPM is like after ferret got his legs under him. I like how the opening and closing narration set the tone.

#584: Filler - Minor Delay

Despite what Ferret says here, this sidestory actually ends up being fairly important later on, particularly in terms of characterization

I'm thinking of going back to the start and posting the comic from #1, with the disclaimer that (A) it takes a little while to get out of bob and george's shadow, and (B) I'll be skipping filler strips unless I think they're particularly funny.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 22:40 on May 26, 2023

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kelly Turnbull's husband did Glamrock Gorilla? I loved that comic, it's on my future posting list!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Giant Ethicist posted:

Would Squid Games have been better if losers of this game had been consumed by a cute pink-haired girl instead of shot with machine guns? Discuss.

I thought that was always the subtext of the show.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Lavinia Spenlow posted:

There are actually two Prince Valiant movies!

That one, from 1997, and an earlier one from 1954:

Trailer here, it's a good watch if you enjoy the 1950s movie trailer style of 'announcer breathlessly tells you how this is going to be the craziest poo poo you've ever seen, while big block text doing the same thing hovers over the film footage':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pkoHHQ9pA0

THE MAGIC OF CINEMASCOPE (You See It Without Special Glasses)

Unfortunately neither is really a great adaptation (the 90s one is kind of off-the-wall storywise, the 50s one hews closer to the original story but is a bit dull if I'm being honest) but they're both very of-their-times in a way that makes them worth the watch, in my opinion. They make an interesting case study in the aesthetics and mass market expectations of heroic fantasy films in their respective decades.

The reason for the 1950s adaptation is obvious - that's when the comic strip had grown to the height of its popularity, more or less. The 1990s one seems like an odd choice until you remember the flood of hasty comic adaptations that followed the success of the Tim Burton Batman movies that had movie executives throwing darts at any popular comic they could get the rights to. (And in general, the vogue in that decade for reviving media from the 40s.) It's an outlier in this trend by not being an American production, but it fits into the same general trend here as Dick Tracey, the Phantom, the Shadow, the Mask, and so on.

Digressing into other Prince Valiant media, there was also a Saturday morning cartoon (90s, but predates the 90s movie) which is even further in story and tone from the original material than either movie adaptation.

You would think that would be cool, but it sadly it ain't. It jettisons pretty much everything that makes the comic strip interesting and unique, trading the carefully researched 5th-century historical setting for generic 80s dragons-and-potions fantasy and trading the colorful and unique cast for trite family-friendly archetypes. Basically a really bland, church-approved He-Man ripoff. How disappointing!

There's also the Prince Valiant Storytelling Game. I don't know much about TTRPGs beyond your most basic 5th ed DnD playing but people who are more in the know about this kind of thing have told me it's alright.

Owl at Home has a new favorite as of 01:14 on May 27, 2023

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Emzedoh posted:

Kelly Turnbull's husband did Glamrock Gorilla? I loved that comic, it's on my future posting list!

Oooh yes, looking forward to it!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Just a beautiful Baby Bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rKLAVDPqh0

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

By popular demand posted:

All your sins have caught up with you 8-LEGZ!

The Food Goblin cosmology continues to expand. Does this imply all food is eaten by the Great Green One as punishment for misdeeds in life?

Pomme de Terror posted:

Oooh yes, looking forward to it!

I wouldn't hold your breath, I've got a lot to get through beforehand!

Hogback Saga

Did Gunnar just symbolically offer to convert his lot to Christianity? I think the king might actually like that a lot more than having another gang of semi-reliable almost-mercenaries.

Anyway, on that abrupt note, that's the end of chapter 2.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 16.6: Super Grey Quiz

Bonus cover art:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joseph Joseph Joseph reaches his escape plan--the minecart! Wumuu is outraged at Joseph^3's cowardice and leaps at him! Joseph^3 releases the minecart brake, sending them hurtling down the track! Wumuu appreciates the trick!

Read right to left:

Chapter 70 - Marriage and Death Relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

alt: they're all identical, almost as if they'd been copy-pasted, but they super weren't

alt: Anesthesia tries to undermine Snowqueen's secrecy order, then wonders why she can't get her own parking space

alt: oh wow a joke! it's been a while.

CASUAL MUSTARD OUT OF CLOWN MAKE UP