Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jay Rust posted:

What do you call that specific kind of movie? the social network, blackberry, Air, the founder...

Biopic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

What do you call that specific kind of movie? the social network, blackberry, Air, the founder...

biopic

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

That specific subgenre though, "how this thing got made (and the geniuses behind it)"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
they're Ads usually

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

That specific subgenre though, "how this thing got made (and the geniuses behind it)"

It's either an advert/capitalist propaganda (most of those) or the opposite (Social Network).

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
biopics, or, you can just say boring

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Anti-union monster Druckmann is really going to go hard on crunch time for his poor wage slaves over this one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Sure, you're on. My favourite games:
Far cry 5
Assassin's creed 6
God of War (2020)
Horizon Zero
Far cry 6

Cowerd. post a real list

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess VG has posted his top 1000 in the past. No harm in sharing my own taste in video game products. Hell I'd invite anyone to post their legitimate All-Stars, might be fun. Here are mine (that I can think of at the moment):

Dark Souls 1 & 2 & 3
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Hitman 1 & 2 & 3
Breath of the Wild
Europa Universalis 4
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Subnautica
Portal
Resident Evil 4
...and many more!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Playstation 5 has no games.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I guess VG has posted his top 1000 in the past. No harm in sharing my own taste in video game products. Hell I'd invite anyone to post their legitimate All-Stars, might be fun. Here are mine (that I can think of at the moment):

Dark Souls 1 & 2 & 3
Sekiro
Elden Ring
Hitman 1 & 2 & 3
Breath of the Wild
Europa Universalis 4
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Subnautica
Portal
Resident Evil 4
...and many more!

drat, the only games i can talk poo poo on Europa Universalis because europe was worst invention in history and universal studios sucks too and Resident Evil 4, which is a game I think I'd like if I got passed hating fight zombies

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They're not zombies, they're spaniards!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
alight i'm totally down to clown on colonizers. give us back our tomatoes and ancient civs

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

alight i'm totally down to clown on colonizers. give us back our tomatoes and ancient civs

This is what makes Europa Universalis so good actually

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
EU4 is sick

Ambiguity intentional

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

What are some bad games that people like?

for some reason i keep playing fighting games

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Ok not trying to be funny here, but most if not all games I like are also good games. Kinda a weird coincidence?

-my response to Karen's speech in Pokemon Silver, except it's about Pokemon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/05/madden-will-ferrell-david-o-russell-team-for-amazon-mgm-movie-1235381096/

Will Ferrell is in talks to play John Madden in a movie about the origins of the Madden games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kijR83UzX8o

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Almost a perfect game, but there's a bit of a wishlist for eu5:

Dynamic trade, so it can flow towards Asia or the Americas if circumstances are right. The current system would explode if trade ever flowed in a loop so this is the kind of thing that would need a complete overhaul instead of just a patch

An overhaul to tech to more accurately represent modern scholarship on the subject, which I think would also make for a more fun game. Some kind of system where tech isn't completely linear, but you choose what to invest in based on what is useful in your neighborhood. Rather than the current system of institutions where everyone outside of Europe just has it cost more to tech up, with the amount increasing over time.

An overhaul to colonization to better represent what was actually happening, which again I think will be a more fun game. Port-and-fort settlements which serve to extend your reach but require keeping the local rulers happy. The Americas starting completely full and only thinning out when explorers bring disease with them--which would make a much more fun game when playing as an American nation where you try to navigate the crises brought on by plague while preserving enough of your strength to not be an easy victim.

More meat to the systems of managing a large empire. A large empire declining and collapsing entirely from internal problems should actually be possible, and managing a large empire without expanding further should be a more fun, complete game

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 26, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want a game where the Europeans arrive in America and the Americans are armed with more advanced weapons and technology. I think they did that in Otherland or Tom Strong, and it owned and that fantasy has never left my mind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think that's an alternate play mode in Crusader Kings, though I haven't played it so I'm not sure. You can check a box at game start saying you want "High Americans" and then they'll come invade you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can't tell if y'all work for Big 4X and are trying to trick me or there's some cool stuff in these games not visible from videos and screenshots on the store pages

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

they leaned into it in factions 1 by selling a DLC Execution pack where you could do even more brutal fatalities on your opponents, including one where they plead for their life before you cave in their skull

tbf that's all of them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Almost a perfect game, but there's a bit of a wishlist for eu5:

Dynamic trade, so it can flow towards Asia or the Americas if circumstances are right. The current system would explode if trade ever flowed in a loop so this is the kind of thing that would need a complete overhaul instead of just a patch

An overhaul to tech to more accurately represent modern scholarship on the subject, which I think would also make for a more fun game. Some kind of system where tech isn't completely linear, but you choose what to invest in based on what is useful in your neighborhood. Rather than the current system of institutions where everyone outside of Europe just has it cost more to tech up, with the amount increasing over time.

An overhaul to colonization to better represent what was actually happening, which again I think will be a more fun game. Port-and-fort settlements which serve to extend your reach but require keeping the local rulers happy. The Americas starting completely full and only thinning out when explorers bring disease with them--which would make a much more fun game when playing as an American nation where you try to navigate the crises brought on by plague while preserving enough of your strength to not be an easy victim.

More meat to the systems of managing a large empire. A large empire declining and collapsing entirely from internal problems should actually be possible, and managing a large empire without expanding further should be a more fun, complete game

Absolutely but what I want for eu4 right now would be very simple to implement I imagine, which is a toggle that would let the AI control any one of your armies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Absolutely but what I want for eu4 right now would be very simple to implement I imagine, which is a toggle that would let the AI control any one of your armies.

yes oh my god

or a button to auto carpet siege

it'd also be nice if ming exploded in the 1640s instead of the 1460s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Khanstant posted:

Can't tell if y'all work for Big 4X and are trying to trick me or there's some cool stuff in these games not visible from videos and screenshots on the store pages

There was a DLC like this for Crusader Kings 2, it got negative reviews, partially because of the racist contingent crying "my realism" but also it kind of was just a reskinned Mongol invasion hitting the map from the west

But I usually play these games as non-europeans, my main EU4 campaign was Vijayanagar, my CK3 campaign was the Hausa in West Africa, and my Victoria 3 campaign was taking Central America to be the industrial capital of the world with the most powerful film industry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

And yes in CK2 there’s a dlc called Sunset Invasion that adds an option to introduce a formidable Aztec invasion from the west, akin to the Mongol invasion the eastern parts of the map contend with. It’s also one of the least popular dlcs ever (buggy and also many paradox nerds are cryptofascist Europeans)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

hoping that cryptofascist means what I think it means

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veeg has officially died 200 times in Mario Sunshine

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

cryptozoology but for fascists

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

well fair enough I guess. Still seems weird to me on the tlou mp

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Me, personally, I call 'em good movies 8)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Khanstant posted:

I want a game where the Europeans arrive in America and the Americans are armed with more advanced weapons and technology. I think they did that in Otherland or Tom Strong, and it owned and that fantasy has never left my mind

Sounds like the premise to a Harry Turtledove novel

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Atzec dlc was worth it because you could capture the pope and sacrifice him to your cruel, blood thirsty gods.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

cryptozoology but for fascists

Have you ever played Disco elysium (SA goty, also add that to my list of all-timers)?
Cuz these two characters are close friends

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

disco is on The List and it shall remain there forever because I'm too easily distracted to follow my own backlog

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s probably better than the vast majority of your backlog tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

haveblue posted:

It’s probably better than the vast majority of your backlog tbh

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Disco Elysium is probably my favorite game of all time. Its very very good.