Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Every member the squad is best as, well, a member of the squad. They don't do a ton of damage, but theyre good at getting crits/staggers and drawing aggro.

Between the spirits and the fuse shenanigans, combat is a huge improvement over BotW. I hated combat in the first game and always ran away because it was never worth spending my weapons' durability on the fights, but here you can do a lot more fun stuff and you'll usually get pretty good fusing material. Now I almost always stop if I come across a monster outpost on my way to something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Rochallor posted:

Is there a way to make (later game spoilers) the mech you get from the Spirit Temple not suck? It does so little damage no matter what devices or monster pieces you stick on it, and like the rest of your buddies, it just stands around like a bad guy in a movie when the main character has to fight like eight dudes at once.

Jumping off its back counts for matrix bow time so it's better than those other losers aside from birb by default

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
As novel as it is to have a loving party in a Zelda game, Champions' abilities implementation here is iffy. Maybe if their spirits were color coded it would be better, but the screen is often a blue mess of ghosts running around as I'm trying to catch one and break some rocks.
Did all the tears. The game has a fairly interesting story for a Zelda game and probably my favorite Ganon design. Now onto doing the rest of the clean up (40 or so shrines, maybe even all Bubbul Frogs, trying to go everywhere on the sky and in the depths to get the clothes). Hoping the final boss is better than BotW. As much as I liked Resident Evil Ganon, his fight was meh.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

Jumping off its back counts for matrix bow time so it's better than those other losers aside from birb by default

My favorite for this is just putting a single control stick on the ground and using the leaping dismount to go into bullet time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Khanstant posted:

How big the game is seems pretty much up to the player. I saw people beat the game the first few nights I was playing in pre-release.

I’m already feeling the need to wrap up and do the final quest and I am nowhere near 100% completion. This game is insanely huge.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vookatos posted:

As novel as it is to have a loving party in a Zelda game, Champions' abilities implementation here is iffy.

Yeah, I was excited at first but I'm a lot more mixed in practice. I generally limit it to two active ones to help mitigate that confusion, and I know they probably wanted to not give you an OP amount of combat help, but they often feel aggravatingly useless during fights. And the goron power in particular is really nice to have when I'm running around underground getting through caves or collecting minerals, but it feels like they spend a frustrating amount of time deliberately moving away from where you want them to be to activate their power.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Khanstant posted:

How big the game is seems pretty much up to the player. I saw people beat the game the first few nights I was playing in pre-release.
I think this is my favorite part about it. I usually agree with people who think that any "100+ hour game" blurb on the back of the box is a threat, but this game can be beaten in half that time if not less. Just beeline it to dungeons, do a few quests, you barely even need to explore the sky or the depths.
I would hate it so much more if I knew that the game expects me to waste my time on its bullshit, but when it's up to me I find it easier to do some chill grindy-type stuff. I can easily waste 70 hours in Yakuza but games like Persona bore me to death. I suppose making your own pacing helps.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I was excited at first but I'm a lot more mixed in practice. I generally limit it to two active ones to help mitigate that confusion, and I know they probably wanted to not give you an OP amount of combat help, but they often feel aggravatingly useless during fights. And the goron power in particular is really nice to have when I'm running around underground getting through caves or collecting minerals, but it feels like they spend a frustrating amount of time deliberately moving away from where you want them to be to activate their power.
Thinking about limiting it to Goron, Rito and maybe the fifth one myself. Zora power is effectively useless and Gerudo, while kinda cool, turns the game into piss if you press A on accident.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The Zonaite Forge sky island spawns Mighty Zonaite weapons periodically

Not a construct bow. A Zonaite bow. These are different.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've only found Zonaite bows in dungeons, I've got two that I make sure to keep repaired specifically because they're so useful to snipe

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Riju is most frustrating for me because it's a ranged-attack ability but as a fighter she's melee. If I want to activate her power during a fight, I have to go up to where she's fighting, which is next to the enemies, which is where I don't want to be because staying away from enemies is why I wanted to use her power in the first place.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Thinking about limiting it to Goron, Rito and maybe the fifth one myself. Zora power is effectively useless and Gerudo, while kinda cool, turns the game into piss if you press A on accident.

I'm at goron and rito now, and pretty much agree. I started the gerudo stuff this evening and the power seems neat, but folks were also saying it was too slow-charging to be as useful. No idea what the other one is, I'll be excited to see that.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Epic High Five posted:

I've only found Zonaite bows in dungeons, I've got two that I make sure to keep repaired specifically because they're so useful to snipe

Wait how do you repair bows? I’m down to my last one :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I always have Rito active and turn on Goron when in caves with lots of rocks(or against tough bosses). Just got Gerudo and I doubt I’ll ever activate it for the ability

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Wait how do you repair bows? I’m down to my last one :(

Rock Octorocks around Death Mountain. Drop it so they eat it, they'll do a special animation and spit it back at you fully repaired and possibly with some kind of upgrade. If you're not quick they'll also kill you with it. One per octorock per blood moon. Works for all weapons that aren't special.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao I just built the Fishing Trawler for the first time thinking it was just gonna be a normal boat, then noticed the shock emitter stuck to the front of it
game kicks rear end

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

To improve sages: make them non-interactable in combat or in general, put the abilities on a small menu activated by holding the down d-button (single pressing still calls the horse). bing bang bong done.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah needing to press the whistle button first would work

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Riju is most frustrating for me because it's a ranged-attack ability but as a fighter she's melee. If I want to activate her power during a fight, I have to go up to where she's fighting, which is next to the enemies, which is where I don't want to be because staying away from enemies is why I wanted to use her power in the first place.

I'm on a save with no sages yet but rumour has it that horse whistle will call your spirits closer to you in combat

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Black Griffon posted:

To improve sages: make them non-interactable in combat or in general, put the abilities on a small menu activated by holding the down d-button (single pressing still calls the horse). bing bang bong done.

Okay but I definitely wouldn't want to do that while flying with my best bird boy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I fought an electric lizalfos in a well, and I killed it right as it shocked me, then a cutscene played and forced me out of the well. When I went back, my hylian shield had despawned :geno:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Okay but I definitely wouldn't want to do that while flying with my best bird boy.

That one seems different in that it's fundamentally a traversal power. Is there even any reason why you would ever activate it on the ground? I feel like I should never turn him off because I'm pretty much constantly ready to glide somewhere, but the number of times I've accidentally talked to him to create a gust of wind while walking around feels kind of dumb.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Vookatos posted:

Zora is the best, tho. Maintains wet status. Embrace your lord and savior Lightscale Trident.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Captain Hygiene posted:

That one seems different in that it's fundamentally a traversal power. Is there even any reason why you would ever activate it on the ground? I feel like I should never turn him off because I'm pretty much constantly ready to glide somewhere, but the number of times I've accidentally talked to him to create a gust of wind while walking around feels kind of dumb.

It’s used for a few puzzles but aside from that yeah it’s not very useful on the ground

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

MokBa posted:

I’m over 100 hours in and feel like I’ve scoured the entire map and somehow I still have 24 shrines left. Current plan is to get around to mapping the entire depths and seeing where the blank spots are above.

No joke I still have not been finding shrines. I feel like there’s some secret spot in a map filled them that I just haven’t stumbled across. This is what I get for beelining so much content instead of slowly exploring the game, but no regrets.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does anything other than horses transfer from BOTW?

To answer my own question, apparently the Champion’s Ballad photo is hung up in Link’s old Hateno house if you finished that. I didn’t get my horses back from BOTW but this did transfer still once I downloaded my BOTW save from the cloud so I’m happy.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
What’s a great go-to shield fusion for durability that still allows skating?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7237222826447621403

Absolute geniuses out there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much all of the companions are actually pretty drat good.

Bird needs no introduction
Goron will automatically attach to vehicles which gives you a surprising amount of free easy damage and draws a lot of aggro
Zora keeps you cooled down and wet which both have significant benefits and being able to soak one damage is actually pretty drat good in a game with high damage.
Gerudo is a huge AOE shock blast basically on demand and can do wonders for loving up camps.
Mech can be given ice or fire or shock stuff to mess enemies up, offers a free boost into the air for arrow sniping, and can do respectable damage if you just fuse good gear onto it.

None of them are going to be better than Link but they all are pretty drat good as tools.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every member the squad is best as, well, a member of the squad. They don't do a ton of damage, but theyre good at getting crits/staggers and drawing aggro.

I feel like the archer is 360 no scoping enemies with headshots into stun all the time.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Goron will automatically attach to vehicles which

really screws up the aerodynamics of your airplanes, get your lardass off my hoverbike!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Zora keeps you cooled down and wet

*coughs into fist*

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So how is fighting Gleeoks supposed to work? If I run out of arrows midfight I give up and leave?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/rinhara5aki/status/1662188535498293248?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

These motherfuckers are out here styling on lynels already without bomb glitches

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Goron will automatically attach to vehicles which gives you a surprising amount of free easy damage and draws a lot of aggro
Zora keeps you cooled down and wet which both have significant benefits and being able to soak one damage is actually pretty drat good in a game with high damage.
Gerudo is a huge AOE shock blast basically on demand and can do wonders for loving up camps.
Mech can be given ice or fire or shock stuff to mess enemies up, offers a free boost into the air for arrow sniping, and can do respectable damage if you just fuse good gear onto it.

None of them are going to be better than Link but they all are pretty drat good as tools.

I hate that about Goron. He can actually nearly disable the Tarry Town railcar thing lol. He also ficks up flying vehicles or makes stuff weighted weird, even worse when firing him off. The twofans can straight up crash from firing him, I just turn him off until I need to blow up rocks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
He's decent in the Kohga boatfight at least. Mostly I just use him and Riju for rock breaking though.

Just beat the game. So what does Zelda's family tree look like?

Also man, Rauru really shouldn't leave WMDs lying around.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

MokBa posted:

No joke I still have not been finding shrines. I feel like there’s some secret spot in a map filled them that I just haven’t stumbled across. This is what I get for beelining so much content instead of slowly exploring the game, but no regrets.

Unlocking every lightroot was a huge boon for this for me, and for anybody who explores all the surface first I suppose

Supremezero posted:

Zora is the best, tho. Maintains wet status. Embrace your lord and savior Lightscale Trident.

I hadn't considered this, those Zora weapons get pretty nuts if you've got splash fruit or a fire hydrant in the room

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 27, 2023

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/rinhara5aki/status/1662188535498293248?s=46&t=Kzmv5HsyFqNWsBcA-dIRLA

These motherfuckers are out here styling on lynels already without bomb glitches

:eyepop:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I hate the armor upgrade system. I'd like it better if it never took fuseable material, but the other thing I'm having trouble with is finding base level monsters to give me their parts instead of upgraded versions. I'm even using a map that lists monster spawns. The one I'm going after is pretty rare but half the ones I'm finding have been upgraded, so they drop a different part. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
armor upgrading system (and it doing a cutscene for each one pls fairy do it in bulk) is definitely annoying

especially in a combat system that could be accurately described as "I hit you and you perish, you hit me into a combo and I ragdoll until I perish"

it's my only real dislike of the game, where at some point in the black/silver tier (and some of the combat challenges) large fights just start to become frustrating because someone off screen will come swinging in and do a metric fuckton of damage with a sword with a rock on it