Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "39 - Jucika's Good Will"

"40 - Jucika's Boss Jubilee"

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Medenmath posted:

Kind of a half-baked execution but I stand by the concept.

I like it.

Also, found a video about... Well, indirectly about Calvin and Hobbes that folk might find interesting.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What is this even supposed to mean? I love Compu-Toon.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

^^^Some kind of "In Soviet Russia..." gag maybe?

Luann

Nil Doesn't strike me as the type to chase after mainstream success

Gil Thorp

Home Free

That's not getting creative because you live in your back yard. That's just gross.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Suzy's Zoo is a real thing, and it's more saccharine than a case of '70s Tab.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Selachian posted:

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Suzy's Zoo is a real thing, and it's more saccharine than a case of '70s Tab.

That looks enough like the Suzy Spafford as depicted on that page that I'm thinking this is a deliberate promotional cameo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Medenmath posted:

Kind of a half-baked execution but I stand by the concept.
:lmao:

F Minus

Another slam dunk from F Minus.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If I can pull it off, I'll see if I can have Renee popping up in the rear window

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gently caress That Wedding It's Time For Hedgehog Jesus

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/19-21/50

Archie 6/15/47

For those keeping score, this is the second time we've had someone get smoochy with an unconscious person (the first time was Betty with Archie in the football game story).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Archie 6/15/47

For those keeping score, this is the second time we've had someone get smoochy with an unconscious person (the first time was Betty with Archie in the football game story).

Social norms about consent were a bit different back then.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

Social norms about consent were a bit different back then.

She does look a bit mad which is kinda refreshing. Like Archie dude, she will let you live, for now.

in my dreams she is a descendant from Val and Aleta.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Dec 31 1952-Jan 1 1953)

I just noticed how weird it is that these literal five year olds are having a formal new years party with suits and everything.

Every Sunday we shift forward 1 month and 1 year. However since this is December we're just going to coast through to new years season of 1953.

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 2-3, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House disappoints those of us who were hoping for a new supporting cast member. (January 14-16, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (March 17-19, 1921; timg/spoiler combo because I'm still debating with myself about whether Eppie Hogg warrants a full-fledged modesty curtain now that Mr. Fox is really leaning into her.)

AUNT EPPIE HOGG, THE FATTEST WOMAN IN THREE COUNTIES: Aunt Eppie can't even pretend to reach anything on her back so she was pitifully helpless the other day when one of the village cats took refuge there.

Dok's Dippy Night Train To Mundo Fine (October 2, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 28-30, 1938)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

What gets me is that the shape of Mark's head is so inconsistent from panel to panel. I know artists would stretch someone's facial proportions if they're trying to do a dynamic expression, but Mark's just smiling.

It's wild that it's close to a decade and Lindesfarne's outfit hasn't changed at all. Like, I get it's supposed to be a cartoon, but we just had those set of strips a couple days ago where Joan the horse told Lindesfarne she's been wearing the same getup since high school and got her to update her look.

Also, for someone who's supposed to be a fashion designer, the flower skirt looks like the kind of pattern you'd see on a curtain.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Woah, woah woah! Hold it! I'm confused.
What the gently caress is a bear?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

Woah, woah woah! Hold it! I'm confused.
What the gently caress is a bear?

Whenever there's a panel without a poorly drawn bear, I ask "Where is poorly drawn bear?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

a chubby gay man with lots of body hair, as pictured.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

What gets me is that the shape of Mark's head is so inconsistent from panel to panel. I know artists would stretch someone's facial proportions if they're trying to do a dynamic expression, but Mark's just smiling.

It's wild that it's close to a decade and Lindesfarne's outfit hasn't changed at all. Like, I get it's supposed to be a cartoon, but we just had those set of strips a couple days ago where Joan the horse told Lindesfarne she's been wearing the same getup since high school and got her to update her look.

Also, for someone who's supposed to be a fashion designer, the flower skirt looks like the kind of pattern you'd see on a curtain.

I always hate the comics where we see the characters as little kids or their future selves wearing the same loving outfit, because otherwise how would we know it's the same character?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

What a bunch of fuckin' weirdos.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

davidspackage posted:

What a bunch of fuckin' weirdos.

"I regret working with all of you. I will not answer your question, and I will not call you again."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/26/03

Ginger Collins

Brenda Starr 1/21/51

Smokey Stover 11/21/54

Everyday Movies 6/13/36

"Those two fellows are still following us, so let's slow down, but act indignant when they speak -- only don't overdo it."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/20/41

Apropos of nothing, I just discovered that a Chicago theater company put on a play based on Scarlet several years ago. Mind-controlling lipstick? Well, it's no more unlikely than explosive oranges or gangster football players.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 27, 2023

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 23, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/21/51

What did you expect, Doc. You hit her first!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Pertti Jarla, the Fingerpori cartoonist, also does the occasional political cartoon. This one is pretty obvious. The signs on the left are for Finnish political parties and unions, many of whom lean right and are quite anti-LGBTQIA for 11 months of the year. Especially notable are the Perus S, True Finns, our far right racist/QAnon party. One of their senior members and a guy who frequently gets ministerial appointments when ever they get elected once made headlines when he said he was all for concealed carry (which is illegal in Finland), because he wants to have a gun handy in case a gay guy comes on to him. And of course the Christian Democrats, our weird fundies who are fighting LGBTQIA rights tooth and nail, despite Finland not being terribly religious and constantly leaning away from the church more and more.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:05 on May 27, 2023

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
It was posted the other day but it's right, the plant assistant and the magician assistant are two chars who look so similar there's so little way to tell them apart. I don't blame myself for this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "41 - Jucika Gets Wet"

"rough translation of sign is ''closed due to flooding''"

"ingatlankezelo vallalat = real estate management company"

"42 - Jucika and Slacks"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Knowing what we do about the author, it's a little off-putting to have the teacher think "what an incredibly complex social life these people have." Just the way they say it makes it sound like kids are these utterly foreign creatures that adults refuse to relate to at all. It would've been better if the teacher said something along the lines of "jeez, i remember going through the same in school" or "i don't wanna tell her social interactions will get even more complex when she grows up."

And I guess it doesn't help that I hate how Foob characters are always doing this gormless thousand-yard stare any time another character is telling them something lol.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

amigolupus posted:

And I guess it doesn't help that I hate how Foob characters are always doing this gormless thousand-yard stare any time another character is telling them something lol.
That's probably how everyone the author talks to in real life looks. :v:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Just wanna tell you this rules, text looks really convincing too (I can never get the fonts right for my edits)

I have no idea how fonts work and I'm way too lazy to learn, so I actually Frankensteined the letters together from other Nancy strips. If it looks good it's because it's literally Bushmiller's lettering :v:

These don't really seem like spiritual problems TBH

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 16, 1957)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak