Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The closest margin on the GOP side has been 13 points, as of two months ago, and here's the historic trajectory:

eta: Speaking of town halls, I read that CNN has scheduled them for Haley & Pence now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t believe Kennedy has a 20% approval rating. There are more antivax democrats than I thought.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wait, John Sununu is still alive and running for president?

EDIT: Oh, it’s a George Bush situation.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

I can’t believe Kennedy has a 20% approval rating. There are more antivax democrats than I thought.

It's more the family name & not-Biden than his anti-vax stance, according to a new CNN poll:

quote:

Biden’s weak spots in the race for the nomination are concentrated among independents who lean Democratic (40% back Biden for the nod, compared with 67% among self-identified Democrats) and younger voters (49% of those younger than 45 say they back Biden compared with 68% among those age 45 or older).

Majorities of all Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters say they would at least consider backing either Kennedy (64% support him or would consider him) or Williamson (53% back her or would consider her), but when asked to explain the main reasons they would consider each of them, few seem deeply tied to either candidate.

Among those who would consider Kennedy, 20% cite his connections to the Kennedy family as the main reason. One said, “I liked his dad (RFK) and his uncle (JFK) a lot. I would hope he has a similar mindset.” Many suggested they are merely open to learning more: 17% say they just don’t know enough about him to rule him out and 10% that they are open-minded and would consider any candidate. One respondent explained they would consider him, “Because a reasonable person considers things before making choices. It has nothing to do with RFK himself, just that I wouldn’t automatically say ‘no’ without consideration first.” Some say they’d back any Democrat (10%) or anyone who is not Trump (5%). About 1 in 8 (12%) say they would consider him because they support his views or policies and 4% mention his views specifically on environmental issues.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/politics/cnn-poll-democrats-2024/index.html

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Zwabu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffttTfH4Pg&t=81s

DeSantis trying to be subtle and indirect in calling out Trump by referring to the GOP developing a "culture of losing" is hilarious and pathetic.

Like, political messaging has to be simple and dumb and aimed at the getting through to the dumbest knuckle dragging troggs in the world.

Even political junkies like me have to squint a little for a second or two before realizing "oh hey he's talking about the fact that Trump lost where he won, and dragged the GOP to a bunch of winnable losses in the midterms".

This poo poo will easily sail over the head of 80 percent of GOP primary voters and the attack on Trump will be easily ignored or denied by the rest.

I mean, you have to literally hold up a big ugly picture of Trump (preferably the one in the tennis shorts) and say "HEY! THIS GUY IS A BIG FAT LOSER! HE LOST!!!! And he made a bunch of other GOP people lose, and picked a bunch of losing losers!"

Sure, but then you have to concede that Biden actually won the election, which he can't really do given the stuff he's said in the past. It's hard to attack someone for losing when your official position is He Won, Actually.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My experience with the New York City subway is such:

In ~18 months of using the DC metro, there was no poop.

The second time I used the New York City subway, there was poop.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A conviction has not happened. There has only been a finding of civil liability.

A conviction wouldn't matter either. He would just appeal the decision and be granted his freedom during the appeal process, during which he would continue to run for president and openly let everyone know he intended to pardon himself.

And for all of that he would lose zero support among his fascist supporters (Republicans).

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

I AM GRANDO posted:

I doubt most of the people saying they'd vote for Kennedy (or Williamson) are aware of the alt med fraud angle, I'm pretty sure the average Democratic voter thinks Biden is unopposed. Which is correct, for all practical purposes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

James Garfield posted:

I doubt most of the people saying they'd vote for Kennedy (or Williamson) are aware of the alt med fraud angle, I'm pretty sure the average Democratic voter thinks Biden is unopposed. Which is correct, for all practical purposes.

Also a weird thing happens with polls that some people will just kinda say they approve of someone without knowing because they don't want to sound like they don't know someone. Or approve someone because they are against someone else.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

But was your experience enriched by the lack of poop? That is the real question.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also a weird thing happens with polls that some people will just kinda say they approve of someone without knowing because they don't want to sound like they don't know someone. Or approve someone because they are against someone else.

The CNN poll asked voters' intentions for the primaries next year, not approval:

The poll included separate questions about who voters would "consider" voting for in the primary, as the excerpt I posted stated:

quote:

Majorities of all Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters say they would at least consider backing either Kennedy (64% support him or would consider him) or Williamson (53% back her or would consider her)[....]

Biden supporters are more locked in than supporters of the other candidates:

quote:

Biden’s primary supporters are largely locked in: 58% say they would definitely support him and 42% say that they could change their minds. In contrast, those backing other candidates are far from committed, with just 19% in that group saying they definitely will support their first-choice candidate and 81% saying that they could change their minds.

The poll suggests that Biden would likely win the support of the vast majority of Democratic-aligned voters in 2024. Just 14% in that group say they wouldn’t back him in the primary. And only 7% say they definitely would not support him in November 2024 should he win the party’s nod.

eta: And yes: the subset samples were on the smallish side.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Willa Rogers posted:

The only possible way for DeSantis to win the nomination is if Trump dies, which is about as likely as Biden dying imo.
Not really. (The "only possible way" thing, not the "likelihood of dying" thing.) There are ways for the campaign to go that could plausibly lead to DeSantis being the nominee without Trump dying - basically, if you had a replay of 2016, but after the early states your Scotts, Haleys, Christies etc all dropped out, instead of duking it out, and, y'know, establishment-voltroned Trump out of the primary. They are all selfish bastards, and going for Trump and missing would end their careers. So it's unlikely, but it's vastly more likely than RFK winning the Dem primary.

It's more likely that somebody who hasn't expressed the slightest interest in running, like Bernie or AOC, won the Dem nomination, than RFK. It would be almost impossible to conceive of - but still more likely than RFK winning by orders of magnitude.

People who are answering "RFK" in these polls (besides the <5% of weirdos who actually can tolerate his bullshit) have no idea who he is and are saying "hey, Kennedy!" or "not Biden."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The charitable view is that polling can change dramatically during primaries, but that doesnt usually happen with an incumbent.

The uncharitable view is that the media is wired for Republicans and have been faithfully writing up DeSantis stories for literally years with horse-race articles about how he's fueling his national ambitions by killing off as many old people as he can.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think there's absolutely something to the argument that DeSantis's supposed juggernaut status was 100% a media creation, I just think at this point the narrative is successfully entrenched enough that he has at least a theoretical shot.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Not really. (The "only possible way" thing, not the "likelihood of dying" thing.) There are ways for the campaign to go that could plausibly lead to DeSantis being the nominee without Trump dying - basically, if you had a replay of 2016, but after the early states your Scotts, Haleys, Christies etc all dropped out, instead of duking it out, and, y'know, establishment-voltroned Trump out of the primary. They are all selfish bastards, and going for Trump and missing would end their careers. So it's unlikely, but it's vastly more likely than RFK winning the Dem primary.

Trump is the current choice of over 50 percent of GOP voters using the aggregators. He's only solidified that choice over the last year. I just don't see a possible route for DeSantis given the trends, which I'll post again:

I don't see RFK Jr. winning under any scenario (especially given what happened to other candidates in 2016/2020), but I also don't see Trump losing under any scenario.

eta: Here's the 2020 Dem spread for comparison purposes:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 27, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess I don't really disagree that only he can win, without some kind of extraordinary intervention, of which death is the most plausible. But I don't really know what the media is supposed to do but cover the other candidates anyway, otherwise they would just be coronating him themselves. (More than usual.) Not covering RFK makes sense - a primary where the incumbent is running isn't going to get coverage without a serious contender. But an open primary is a different story. This is the most incumbent-unincumbent in the last hundred plus years so it's a weird situation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Willa Rogers posted:

The only possible way for DeSantis to win the nomination is if Trump dies, which is about as likely as Biden dying imo.

Indictment? Happened. Conviction? Happened. Outrageous statements during the televised town hall? Happened.

And his numbers stayed the same or increased after each instance.

edit: I will modify my prior post to say that, as an average across polling, DeSantis does slightly better than RFK Jr. does against their respective opponents.

But it's still funny to see how much more DeSantis is discussed as a viable candidate compared to RFK Jr.

I'd argue that though if Trump gets hit by a bus, DeSantis has a legit shot, the same is not true of RFK Jr. because he's a wackadoo lunatic and there's tons of other centrist dems who'd then suddenly jump in and near-instantly eclipse him (Harris and Buttigieg being the two most likely off the top of my head). Would DeSantis have to compete with Scott and Halley and the other GOP no-hopers? Sure, but unlike RFK Jr. he could plausibly carry it off.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'd argue that though if Trump gets hit by a bus, DeSantis has a legit shot, the same is not true of RFK Jr. because he's a wackadoo lunatic and there's tons of other centrist dems who'd then suddenly jump in and near-instantly eclipse him (Harris and Buttigieg being the two most likely off the top of my head). Would DeSantis have to compete with Scott and Halley and the other GOP no-hopers? Sure, but unlike RFK Jr. he could plausibly carry it off.

Yeah, that's just it. DeSantis has a "Trump drops dead" victory condition and RFK Jr. does not.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I’m also pretty shocked at the twenty percent for RFK Jr. and have to assume the majority of those are unfamiliar with the crazy anti vax stuff and are responding only to the familiar name.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Yeah, that's just it. DeSantis has a "Trump drops dead" victory condition and RFK Jr. does not.

Yeah. If Trump dropped dead I do think DeSantis would in fact probably be the nominee despite everything. If the same happened to Biden then Newsom or Sherrod Brown or any number of credible others would jump in and steamroll RFK Jr.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess I don't really disagree that only he can win, without some kind of extraordinary intervention, of which death is the most plausible. But I don't really know what the media is supposed to do but cover the other candidates anyway, otherwise they would just be coronating him themselves. (More than usual.) Not covering RFK makes sense - a primary where the incumbent is running isn't going to get coverage without a serious contender. But an open primary is a different story. This is the most incumbent-unincumbent in the last hundred plus years so it's a weird situation.

I mean Trump is a heavy favorite but there are plenty of serious opponents, and if Trump got trampled by rhinos tomorrow Desantis would be the favorite out of those. Every scenario in which Biden is not the 2024 nominee has other Democrats announce campaigns, Williamson and RFK Jr have an actually 0 probability of being the nominee. It's like comparing Ted Cruz to the guy who got 42% against Obama in Arkansas because they both finished in second place.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I think both primaries have a fairly similar throughline. Unpopular favorites with a laundry list of faults and a chunk of the base that is fairly desperate for an alternative.

Just on the R side it's more the moneymen types that want that, so you have the media push Ron's gotten, all while his attempted push for the presidency has just made him nearly as toxic as Trump, while on the D side Biden's just such an underwhelming, sad old man that the chunk of the base that is just desperate for an alternative, and while nobody of any importance is going to run, so you get oh a Kenney? 20% result. It'll evaporate to low single digits by anyone who actually learns anything about him and most of the rest of the anybody but Biden crowd will just stay home for the primary I'd imagine.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I mean Trump is a heavy favorite but there are plenty of serious opponents, and if Trump got trampled by rhinos tomorrow Desantis would be the favorite out of those. Every scenario in which Biden is not the 2024 nominee has other Democrats announce campaigns, Williamson and RFK Jr have an actually 0 probability of being the nominee. It's like comparing Ted Cruz to the guy who got 42% against Obama in Arkansas because they both finished in second place.

Yeah this is why the twenty percent number for RFK Jr is so funny and obviously meaningless. Similar polling number but completely different situation.

The other big factor in the GOP race is that the front runner is actually a former president, something we’ve not had since Nixon almost eighty years ago. If no one had been president then it would be a lot more possible for Trump’s polling to collapse in certain situations. But Trump supporters have now been with him not only through campaign stuff like Access Hollywood but also his shittastic presidency AND January 6. Very little would peel away that support.

The 2022 midterms were about the only thing that caused Trump to lose support. If DeSantis is going to actually attach Trump for losing and promoting a bunch of losers he’s going to have to make that argument explicitly, this weak sauce “culture of losing” won’t do.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One time I was waiting for the mbta red line and two police officers were very gently but insistently requesting a woman either accept medical intervention or just leave the station because she had done a rather much of the poo all over herself and were insisting that, while they were very sorry, they had to insist she couldn't stay on the public subway platform while being a biohazard

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

DeSantis is really speedrunning his campaign scandals. He has managed to do the two things that can actually get you in trouble with campaign finance laws: directly coordinate with your SuperPAC and use your state employees to run your campaign and fundraise for you.

He already lost his 200,000 voter/donor list because of the first screw up.

These are things that DeSantis may not be personally involved in, but he has an enormous amount of money and has hired experienced people to run his campaign, so it is amazing how they have managed to blow his announcement event, lose their voter/donor list, and get their staff into legal trouble with this sloppy stuff.

Even Republican lobbyists in Florida are shocked that he was this sloppy and blatant. This situation may not impact his campaign directly, but his staff are now under investigation and he basically threw them to the wolves.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1662134301511630856

DeSantis is basically trying out to out-Rick Perry Rick Perry in terms of "fastest collapse of rising star after running for President."

As it turns out, repeatedly trouncing the ruined Democratic Party operation in Florida wasn't the work of a political mastermind. He may not even get the nomination if Trump dies or goes to prison.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Zwabu posted:

The 2022 midterms were about the only thing that caused Trump to lose support. If DeSantis is going to actually attach Trump for losing and promoting a bunch of losers he’s going to have to make that argument explicitly, this weak sauce “culture of losing” won’t do.

And Trump's lead against DeSantis now is greater than it was before the 2022 midterms.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ken Paxton, the shitheaded Texas Attorney General who's wormed his way into the national spotlight so much that I know of him more than my own state's, has been impeached and suspended. The vote was 121-23

quote:

Many of the articles of impeachment focused on allegations that Paxton had repeatedly abused his powers of office to help a political donor and friend, Austin real estate developer Nate Paul.

In fall 2020, eight top deputies in the attorney general’s office approached federal and state investigators to report their concerns about Paxton’s relationship with Paul.

All eight quit or were fired in the following months, and most of the details of their allegations against Paxton were revealed in a lawsuit by four former executives who claim they were fired — in violation of the Texas Whistleblower Act — in retaliation for reporting Paxton to the authorities. Paxton’s bid to dismiss the lawsuit is awaiting action by the Dallas-based 5th Court of Appeals.

According to the lawsuit, the whistleblowers accused Paxton of engaging in a series of “intense and bizarre” actions to help Paul, including intervening in an open-records case to help Paul gain documents from federal and state investigations into the real estate investor’s businesses. They also accused Paxton of directing his agency to intervene in a lawsuit between Paul and a charity, pushing through a rushed legal opinion to help Paul avoid a pending foreclosure sale on properties and ignoring agency rules to hire an outside lawyer to pursue an investigation helpful to Paul’s businesses.

In return, the whistleblower lawsuit alleged, Paul paid for all or part of a major renovation of a home Paxton owns in Austin. Paul also helped Paxton keep an extramarital affair quiet by employing the woman Paxton had been seeing, the lawsuit said, adding that the attorney general may also have been motivated by a $25,000 contribution Paul made to Paxton’s campaign in 2018.

In their report to the House General Investigating Committee on Wednesday, the panel’s investigators concluded that Paxton may have committed numerous crimes and violated his oath of office.

Investigators said possible felonies included abuse of official capacity by, among other actions, diverting staff time to help Paul at a labor cost of at least $72,000; misuse of official information by possibly helping Paul gain access to investigative documents; and retaliation and official oppression by firing employees who complained of Paxton’s actions to the FBI.

The articles of impeachment accused Paxton of accepting bribes, disregarding his official duties and misapplying public resources to help Paul.

The articles also referred to felony charges of securities fraud, and one felony count of failing to register with state securities officials, that have been pending against Paxton since 2015, months after he took office as attorney general. The fraud charges stem from Paxton’s work in 2011 to solicit investors in Servergy Inc. without disclosing that the McKinney company was paying him for the work.

The impeachment articles also accused Paxton of obstruction of justice by acting to delay the criminal cases with legal challenges and because a Paxton donor pursued legal action that limited the pay to prosecutors in the case, causing further delays “to Paxton’s advantage.”

Taken in total, the accusations showed a pattern of dereliction of duty in violation of the Texas Constitution, Paxton’s oaths of office and state laws against public officials acting against the public’s interest, the impeachment resolution said.

Like how bad a person do you gotta be to be impeached in Texas as a Republican.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Willa Rogers posted:

But it's still funny to see how much more DeSantis is discussed as a viable candidate compared to RFK Jr.

Why? DeSantis has been re-elected as governor of the 3rd most populous state - one that very recently was considered purple. RFK Jr has no political experience and unlike Donald Trump hasn’t had a popular tv show whose entire point was convincing people that he’s a super competent businessman.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tayter Swift posted:

Ken Paxton, the shitheaded Texas Attorney General who's wormed his way into the national spotlight so much that I know of him more than my own state's, has been impeached and suspended. The vote was 121-23

It's probably easier there than in a more competitive state - it's not like he's gonna get replaced by a Democrat in Texas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
he should have been disbarred and impeached the moment he was indicted . . . . eight years ago.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

It still has to go to the Texas Senate, which is said to be more conservative than the Texas House. But he's impeached until the Senate does anything, meaning that if they break for recess without reinstating or sanctioning him, he will be out of a job until the next session. Which isn't until Jan. 14th, 2025.

Or if there's a special session to reinstate him, but I'd imagine if they don't take action immediately, the Senate isn't going to do poo poo for a special session.

Agents are GO! posted:

It's probably easier there than in a more competitive state - it's not like he's gonna get replaced by a Democrat in Texas.

My biggest hope is that getting de facto fired from his job is that it opens to him some consequences that require him to squeal on guys like Abbott to save his own neck. Like, I am certain that Texas has been cooking the election returns in some places like the border, especially after Uvalde.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 28, 2023

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If this happened, could we vote for the bus?

Willa Rogers posted:

And Trump's lead against DeSantis now is greater than it was before the 2022 midterms.

Yeah, more media exposure to the real Rob isn't going to help anything. I doubt we'll see the "anyone but trump" bumps in the primaries like we did in 2016, and with Rob being whatever's less threatening than a paper tiger, the republican nod is his. Probably even if he goes to jail. Hell, maybe especially then. Giving people "proof" for the persecution complex might make them vote even more aggressively.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

My biggest hope is that getting de facto fired from his job is that it opens to him some consequences that require him to squeal on guys like Abbott to save his own neck. Like, I am certain that Texas has been cooking the election returns in some places like the border, especially after Uvalde.

Fun as that would be I'd imagine the Texas Senate Republicans know that and would like to protect their own. Or are they all going Praetorian Guard on the state brass?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Fun as that would be I'd imagine the Texas Senate Republicans know that and would like to protect their own. Or are they all going Praetorian Guard on the state brass?

Apparently, Paxton's wife is a state senator and she just discovered that he'd been cheating on her: one of the 20 impeachment charges is him pushing to get his mistress hired in the AG's office because he grew tired of driving to Dallas/FW from Austin.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tayter Swift posted:

The fact that 82% of the House voted to impeach proves that nothing is outside the realm of possibility. It's going to come down to what Lt. Governor Dan Patrick feels is best for his future, and so far his poker game is strong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

The fact that 82% of the House voted to impeach proves that nothing is outside the realm of possibility. It's going to come down to what Lt. Governor Dan Patrick feels is best for his future, and so far his poker game is strong.

Well, whatever they do, they got until Monday to decide.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tayter Swift posted:

people much more obsessed with the texas legislature than i am seem to think it's essentially a factional struggle that paxton, uh, wildly misjudged

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Paxton's wife is a state senator and she just discovered that he'd been cheating on her: one of the 20 impeachment charges is him pushing to get his mistress hired in the AG's office because he grew tired of driving to Dallas/FW from Austin.

yeah this is maybe the most likely thing i've heard as a possible instigating factor for the total collapse of Paxton's legislative support

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looks like a deal has been tentatively struck.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1662615601200734209

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/27/us/politics/debt-limit-deal.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

quote:

Top White House and Republican negotiators on Saturday reached a deal in principle to raise the debt limit for two years while cutting and capping some government spending over the same period, a breakthrough after a marathon set of crisis talks that has brought the nation within days of its first default in history, three people familiar with the agreement said.

Congressional passage of the plan before June 5, when the Treasury is projected to exhaust its ability to pay its obligations, was not assured, particularly in the House. Republicans hold a narrow majority in the chamber, and right-wing lawmakers who had demanded significantly larger budget cuts in exchange for lifting the borrowing limit are all but certain to revolt.

But the compromise, which would effectively freeze federal spending that had been on track to grow, had the blessing of both President Biden and Speaker Kevin McCarthy, raising hopes that it could break the fiscal stalemate that has gripped Washington and the nation for weeks, threatening an economic crisis. The two spoke by phone on Saturday evening to resolve final sticking points.

The people who spoke about the deal did so on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to comment publicly in advance of a formal announcement.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s still really, really dumb that they are going to cave to this hostage taking and also allow it to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s still really, really dumb that they are going to cave to this hostage taking and also allow it to continue

“Cave”?

Dems didn’t cave. They did exactly what libs elected them to do: act like polite republicans.