Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You want one that plugs into the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I use a floor pump with a air shot bottle that I can dump the air out of. Works nice, good if you don't want a compressor. Since that works, any little compressor with a tank should be fine. An electric inflator with no tank is probably not going to cut it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Things keep going wrong and getting delayed but I'm getting there. It looks like I haven't made any progress, but actually I've managed to spend a lot of money since the last picture.

Apr 7, 2003

taqueso posted:

An electric inflator with no tank is probably not going to cut it.

Yeah, I'm thinking there's a misunderstanding on what a compressor is

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

taqueso posted:

I use a floor pump with a air shot bottle that I can dump the air out of. Works nice, good if you don't want a compressor. Since that works, any little compressor with a tank should be fine. An electric inflator with no tank is probably not going to cut it.

I do this too, works great every time. No electricity required. Easy to toss in my tool box in the car along with the floor pump as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah you need to dump like 2-3 gallons of ~50psi air in short order. A lot of bike pumps offer 120-150psi but trade absolute pressure for really abysmal CFM. Having a plug in unit virtually guarantees it has enough cfm

Apr 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you need to dump like 2-3 gallons of ~50psi air in short order. A lot of bike pumps offer 120-150psi but trade absolute pressure for really abysmal CFM. Having a plug in unit virtually guarantees it has enough cfm

also you can unplug it and do other high volume poo poo around your house as needed, that Ridgid unit I posted earlier can also fill your car tires, power an impact wrench, etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

What kind of air compressor seats tires? I have a lovely one to inflate car tires. Can I just use that one?

Finally an excuse to upgrade to a full size air compressor and pneumatic impact wrench for your garage

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i use a bike floor pump to inflate car tires

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Same but a shock pump

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i use a bike floor pump to inflate car tires

Once I got a screw in my car tire and set off the TPMS. Pulling over every 10min to pump for 5min with the bike pump I luckily had in the hatch was very not cool.

Orange Seal should think about getting into the slime biz.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
in case anyone was wondering, shikoros don’t work tubeless lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

What kind of air compressor seats tires? I have a lovely one to inflate car tires. Can I just use that one?
Literally any compressor with a tank (so like, not a tire inflator) will work. You just need a little blast to seat them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hadlock posted:

Finally an excuse to upgrade to a full size air compressor and pneumatic impact wrench for your garage

Yeah, maybe. The airshock bottle looks cool but it’s half the price of a real compressor.

I guess Father’s Day is coming up.

Apr 7, 2003

I’m riding on the Western Reserve Greenway in Ohio. Ohio is very flat.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally any compressor with a tank (so like, not a tire inflator) will work. You just need a little blast to seat them.

this, and take the valve core out

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
TBH most of my tires go on with just a floor pump, which is fortunate because I hate using my AirShot bottle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

TobinHatesYou posted:

TBH most of my tires go on with just a floor pump, which is fortunate because I hate using my AirShot bottle.

Yeah, i'm curious whether my regular Joe Blow pump will be enough. One way to find out!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, i'm curious whether my regular Joe Blow pump will be enough. One way to find out!

Take more pride in your pumping cadence than your sprint, imo.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

Take more pride in your pumping cadence than your sprint, imo.

Seems like everyone above is implying that the sprint is what's necessary to finish the job though? :confused:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Residency Evil posted:

You can also seat the tire with a tube, then remove the tube after unseating one side. The seated side will obviously remain more-or-less airtight while the unseated side will have more tension than if both beads were in the center channel. That also makes the unseated bead more airtight as well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

You can also seat the tire with a tube, then remove the tube after unseating one side. The seated side will obviously remain more-or-less airtight while the unseated side will have more tension than if both beads were in the center channel. That also makes the unseated bead more airtight as well.

this is very tire and rim dependent ime

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

That sounds like entirely too much effort JFC

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
There's also the small matter of trying to figure out if I've brave enough to run tubeless on my Roval Rapide CL Gen 1 wheels, which were sold as tubeless compatible until Petey Sagan crashed, after which they were no longer tubeless compatible.

And/or I bite the bullet and get a better set of climbing wheels since 90% of my outdoor riding involves riding up mountains.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 28, 2023

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

evil_bunnY posted:

That sounds like entirely too much effort JFC

You'd only do this if the pump and compressed air didn't work.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's fun when you do that and then the other bead just pops back into the rim channel anyway as soon as you deflate it.

Extra wrap of tape can be a good solution sometimes. We also have one nozzle that flows better than the standard park inflator and that gets most of the tricky ones.

And roval wheels tubeless have been a consistent pain in the rear end. I don't know if they're just a little undersized on the BSD or have a bad profile or what but they suck to get set up, especially the road/gravel ones.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 28, 2023

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

TobinHatesYou posted:

This is what I usually end up doing most of the time (I don’t have a tank compressor)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

jamal posted:

It's fun when you do that and then the other bead just pops back into the rim channel anyway as soon as you deflate it.

stares in gravel king

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does hooked vs hookless matter with how likely you are to need to use these voodoo tricks?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
how tight the tire/rim bed combo is the deciding factor imo, if you can’t get the bead up onto the lip you’re gonna have a bad time

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

in case anyone was wondering, shikoros don’t work tubeless lol

lol

TobinHatesYou posted:

i love the thrill of equipping my safety squints and flipping the lever open

Bunny Fiesta
Apr 14, 2005
I did my first 125 km ride today with the local randonneuring group. Big thanks to peanut butter m&ms for making it possible.

(I need to do more planks)

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Whelp, glass sliced my latex today (although I couldn’t find a definitive puncture where it should be…) so I patched the biggest cut that wouldn’t seal before and set it up tubeless again. There was yet another cut that wouldn’t seal so I used a dynaplug for the first time and that seemed to do the trick. Can’t wait to wear these GR1 Team Issues out or slice then up enough to go to a different tire with orange seal instead of the bontrager glitter bomb stuff.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

wooger posted:

For commuting tubeless slicks I can really recommend Pirelli Cinturato Velo, which come in 35c. They’re very puncture proof and durable, zero flats so far in a year even running with tubes for half of it, and roll nicely.

I've got Vittoria Voyager Hyper 32mm (unfortunately discontinued) on my commuter right now and bicyclerollingresistance.com lists the Velo at 26mm as significantly slower than the Voyager at 37mm.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use Aerothan TPU tubes in my road bike. Seem to work well enough. I carry a butyl spare in case I need to change the tube. I don’t bike enough to justify going tubeless. I’ve been nagging one friend to come to ride with me with his yellow Santa Cruz, but he hasn’t had motivation to reapply fresh sealant after winter… in two months.. If he had tubes instead he could just put some air in and go.

Last time I patched a tube in 2021, before that is surely before 2014 or so. I don’t get flats too often.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 29, 2023

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The Memorial Day parade runs in the upper part of my town, and the route goes around an area that's just several blocks from my house. So, I rode my bike, since closed roads and immensely confused drivers make navigating the area by car super-slow. Quite a few people walk or cycle to the event because of the limited parking, too.

A guy came up and complemented my bike, did a double-take, and asked if it was a single speed. Yep.

I'll be off on my main ride for today in a little while. Happy Memorial Day, fellow Americans! The weather in the St. Louis region is amazing, and I hope it is for everyone else, too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Yeep posted:

I've got Vittoria Voyager Hyper 32mm (unfortunately discontinued) on my commuter right now and bicyclerollingresistance.com lists the Velo at 26mm as significantly slower than the Voyager at 37mm.

The 26 velo at "extra high pressure" is 17.1w and the vittoria at 60psi is 17.5w so I'm not seeing how it's "significantly slower." A better comparison would be the 35mm pirelli at a similar pressure but it's in the "gravel" category and free brr only shows "extra low" and "low" pressures which I assume are more in the 30-40psi range.

I was on the 34mm vittoria corsa n.ext as a winter road tire on my cx bike and also used it on a dirt time trial and have liked it well enough. Really nice having a big road slick option since my old supersix has poo poo tire clearance.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 29, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

You have that backwards I think, Cinturato is listed as slightly faster.

I can’t find that Vitoria tyre for sale anywhere, has it been renamed or dropped since 2016?

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

jamal posted:

The 26 velo at "extra high pressure" is 17.1w and the vittoria at 60psi is 17.5w so I'm not seeing how it's "significantly slower." A better comparison would be the 35mm pirelli at a similar pressure but it's in the "gravel" category and free brr only shows "extra low" and "low" pressures which I assume are more in the 30-40psi range.

I was on the 34mm vittoria corsa n.ext as a winter road tire on my cx bike and also used it on a dirt time trial and have liked it well enough. Really nice having a big road slick option since my old supersix has poo poo tire clearance.

I was assuming that the extra cm of tyre width would add a decent amount of rolling resistance if I went for a Velo 35, I'm happy to be wrong though.

wooger posted:

You have that backwards I think, Cinturato is listed as slightly faster.

I can’t find that Vitoria tyre for sale anywhere, has it been renamed or dropped since 2016?

It's gone, and there isn't really a replacement. I got 4 of them on clearance for £6 each and wish I'd bought more, especially as they came in brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Ihmemies posted:

I use Aerothan TPU tubes in my road bike. Seem to work well enough. I carry a butyl spare in case I need to change the tube. I don’t bike enough to justify going tubeless. I’ve been nagging one friend to come to ride with me with his yellow Santa Cruz, but he hasn’t had motivation to reapply fresh sealant after winter… in two months.. If he had tubes instead he could just put some air in and go.

Why wouldn’t you carry a TPU spare as well considering the volume savings?

Okay your friend is supremely lazy. Injecting new sealant into a tire through the valve takes seconds. Also unless the tire unseated itself, a tire with dried-up sealant usually holds air just fine…it just won’t seal a puncture.