Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

clawing back irs funding lol

Good - that means my clients can continue not paying their taxes and let the collection statutes expire. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

drat that's crazy, they figured out a deal? Wow, I didn't see that coming. Wild.

The crazy thing is that all the cuts are coming from social welfare spending.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

In Training posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1662628997560139776?s=20

these are ages. I guess if you were over 50 you didnt have work requirements but now theyre raising that to 54.

These sound like very minor concessions.

The GOP freaks must be loving furious at McCarthy for handing Biden such a huge win.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Slow News Day posted:

The GOP freaks must be loving furious at McCarthy for handing Biden such a huge win.

syq

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xaris posted:

I don't think it's changed much and a lot of writing from 1990s about TV is still relevant. Changing from analog to digital streaming hasn't really affected it all that much. The most popular shows on ~streaming~ like Netflix are still reality TV like Love is Blind / the circle/ too hot to handle / ultimatum / 90 day fiance / hoarders / korean dating / etc. i think overwhelming masses of people having on-demand-any-show-possible-anytime they want yet people still largely choosing to go big into Reality TV prove DFW's point. Netflix, in particular, cancels any scripted show after 1-2 seasons, tops -- no matter how beloved they might be; however, Love is Blind is probably gunna be on for like 20 seasons. Pretty much the same strategy as Fox/ABC/NBC/etc in the 2000s where most scripted non-sitcom shows didn't last too long.

the most you can say that has changed is digital streaming has become more "background noise" as people love to say they don't watch tv they just put it on for background. which really isn't that much different imo, and still just means you need dirt cheap slop to put out for continuous "background noise"

Zodium is gunna yell at me for this wide sweeping statement of behavior but humans fundamentally crave human connection. even the most self-professed reclusive misanthropic nerds consume unholy amounts of gobs of human media; they don't like the stress (or anxiety) of actively engaging with human connection because they're massively alienated and don't know how, but they still crave it even as they deny it. Even that one goon who ran away to the forests in Maine and lived off trash for 35 years still consumed tons of radio and magazines / catalogs /etc. This is just the extreme example but it also applies to hundred of millions of "regular suburban normies" americans, who are intentionally alienated and all community-oriented third-spaces privatized or destroyed, all deep-down crave human connection. Besides being so cheap, that's why Reality TV took off so well is it gave that voyeuristic outlet to pretend like these hundred of millions of people still have human connections with ~real normal people~, even if it's a one-way screen.

I read all of this, thank you for being thoughtful.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Slow News Day posted:

if you dont get an annual raise your pay is going down!

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1662651545316388871

*Pounds table* LEADERSHIP SPILL! LEADERSHIP SPILL!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HFC blowing this up would be a net good for america

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

they're going to get mccarthy's scalp for his brief moment of lucidity and that's extremely funny

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

RealityWarCriminal posted:

clawing back irs funding lol

i always worry about the local taxes i'm not sure if i needed to pay or not, amounting to $30/year

maybe they'll start ignoring poor people as well as rich people

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

lmfao gently caress yeah blow up the universe

dk2m
May 6, 2009

lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
default avoided. america wins again! USA!!!!!!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

There was a recent Chapo podcast (May 11) where they interview a WGA writer about the strike and the changes that have taken place as streaming has taken over from traditional television. In essence, though things look samey on the surface, the underlying economics have been evolving rapidly since traditionally writers have relied on residuals and those are essentially disappearing with the new formats. Also, Netflix and co. are far more hostile to the WGA folks than the legacy media companies.

this + AI and shrinking writer power is the big stuff yah.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's beyond hillarious. The fringes of both ends of the ideological spectrum are exposing themselves to be the lunatics that they truly are in response to this deal tonight. This is a TREMENDOUS victory for working people, the economy, President Biden, and our chances of keeping the senate and regaining the house in 2024! Once again, President Biden has silenced the doubters and reached a deal that is better than possibly could have been imagined 24-48 hours ago with a GOP house and a compromised GOP speaker to his right flank. We can kick back, relax, and wait for Garland/Smith, Willis and Bragg to throw Trump in jail and onward to victory in November 2024 against a truly incompetent socially clueless Desantis now that the economy has been saved, for like the 4th or 5th time (going back to the 2008 financial crisis) by our wonderful President (formerly VP-shout out to one of the greatest presidents in American history and greatest humans alive period, Barack Obama, btw) and his team of White House negotiators.

It's nights like these where I question why I ever doubt President Biden's political accumen.

Well, done Mr. President. Time for me to stop freaking about polls and just sit back and marvel at how you continuously pull rabbits out of hats!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
thank you for finally coming to your senses, very proud of you. looking forward to helping biden to a VERY deserved 2nd term.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
god bless the UNITED states of america

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rrrtrmp

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

It's beyond hillarious. The fringes of both ends of the ideological spectrum are exposing themselves to be the lunatics that they truly are in response to this deal tonight. This is a TREMENDOUS victory for working people, the economy, President Biden, and our chances of keeping the senate and regaining the house in 2024! Once again, President Biden has silenced the doubters and reached a deal that is better than possibly could have been imagined 24-48 hours ago with a GOP house and a compromised GOP speaker to his right flank. We can kick back, relax, and wait for Garland/Smith, Willis and Bragg to throw Trump in jail and onward to victory in November 2024 against a truly incompetent socially clueless Desantis now that the economy has been saved, for like the 4th or 5th time (going back to the 2008 financial crisis) by our wonderful President (formerly VP-shout out to one of the greatest presidents in American history and greatest humans alive period, Barack Obama, btw) and his team of White House negotiators.

It's nights like these where I question why I ever doubt President Biden's political accumen.

Well, done Mr. President. Time for me to stop freaking about polls and just sit back and marvel at how you continuously pull rabbits out of hats!

it's funny you refer to "both sides" as lunatics, but let's be real: there's nothing biden could have done to make disgruntled pretend-leftists like you happy, so who tf cares what you think, other than your posting pals? the answer is nobody

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

it's funny you refer to "both sides" as lunatics, but let's be real: there's nothing biden could have done to make disgruntled pretend-leftists like you happy, so who tf cares what you think, other than your posting pals? the answer is nobody

Lmao :greencube:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

turn on your monitor.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1662628128034791425

lmao so a 12 11% cut to non military spending over the next two years

gently caress you Joe

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Willa Rogers posted:

i know this is syq but it still makes me irrationally angry at you

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Willa Rogers posted:

wtf is this nonsense

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I hosed Biden first you're too late, pal

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gottem lmao

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thorn must've been pretty deep in the :cheers: to mistake that as a sincere post from me.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

Thorn must've been pretty deep in the :cheers: to mistake that as a sincere post from me.

yeah heh, didnt get me at all hehe

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Gildiss posted:

Gottem lmao

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
the great thing about all the liberals going "heh, this only moderately grinds up poor people and make's working people's lives worse instead of significantly grinding them up! BIG SUCCESS! Go Biden #1!!" is that they never once considered they could actually just not grind the masses up at all. they could also just loving ignore the fake limit

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmmidRRqkc

Just saw this for the first time. Corporate America has figured out how to squeeze more, convince people to be wasteful and double their dishpack usage for no reason other than to enrich themselves further.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah even Yellen told the Dems to fix the debt ceiling poo poo back when they had a majority. It would have been a trivial undertaking. Everyone with a scant ounce of insight into how the budget works saw this coming years in advance and the Dems did jack poo poo to head it off, as always. None of this is acceptable even from the perspective of the most basic center of the road lib. You have to be a genuine Team Blue sucker to buy into this loving cult nonsense.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

They still gotta vote on it right. Be funny if it didn't pass because now is when dems decide to be principled

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

net work error posted:

They still gotta vote on it right. Be funny if it didn't pass because now is when dems decide to be principled

Yep. And the Republicans will have ample opportunities to "walk away from the table" and demand more concessions from the squish libs at any point between now and then. This could still get worse or flat out fall apart.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
just mint the loving $100 trillion coin, who gives a gently caress. dems could put an end to this stupid dog and pony show forever

also give me one of the 1 trillion coins

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Xaris posted:

the great thing about all the liberals going "heh, this only moderately grinds up poor people and make's working people's lives worse instead of significantly grinding them up! BIG SUCCESS! Go Biden #1!!" is that they never once considered they could actually just not grind the masses up at all. they could also just loving ignore the fake limit

perhaps even more telling is “using the threat of the ceiling to do good things” is simply not a part of the Overton window at all. for all the “we can’t use that for good things cause then republicans will use it for bad things” handwringing I’ve never once in my life seen democrats go “republicans are using this for bad things therefor we can use it for good things”

like it’s not even a question or discussion, not an option on a table of trades or deals it’s simply never considered at all.

I wonder why that is.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Al! posted:

snap is a huge giveaway to agriculture, that's why it's in the farm bill. but who cares, food supply is a financial commodity now and if it fails it's because the market doesn't see the wisdom in people eating

crossposting because i think the hill is gonna aim for their feet again

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

The default liberal position is that Republicans are 100% correct and the only question is how quickly we should move toward their goals. It has been years since I've seen someone aligned with mainstream Democratic positions actually suggest meaningfully moving the country in a progressive direction. The only outcome is that things will get worse, and Democrats use the threat of things getting worse even faster as a cudgel for votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QmmidRRqkc

Just saw this for the first time. Corporate America has figured out how to squeeze more, convince people to be wasteful and double their dishpack usage for no reason other than to enrich themselves further.

will dish washers become the new gas stoves?

i just use paper plates. crisis averted.