Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1662811010309275648?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well i'm sure its not a hideously complicated molecule or anything

ohhhhh

jesse it's time to cook

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well i'm sure its not a hideously complicated molecule or anything

ohhhhh

how does something like this even get synthesised

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

RealityWarCriminal posted:

it means a freeze, which when you take inflation into account means a cut in future years (the same amount of money buys less)

Yeah, it is just even if inflation was zero, departments probably still need 2-3% more a year to deal with simply the cost of doing business. In reality, it is probably a 7% cut and maybe a 5-6% cut after that.

Also, there are completely deep-sixing the rest of the COVID funding.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

how does something like this even get synthesised

very carefully

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

seriously though it’s made of amino acids so you probably give bacteria the dna and they make it for you, no chemist is sitting there coming up with a synthesis for it

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Maed posted:

seriously though it’s made of amino acids so you probably give bacteria the dna and they make it for you, no chemist is sitting there coming up with a synthesis for it

how do you reliably get the psycho ether+++ chain there? some weird post-translational add-on?

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

how do you reliably get the psycho ether+++ chain there? some weird post-translational add-on?

that’s just a fatty acid and would be an addon yes, its similar to lipid anchored proteins in your cell membrane that are proteins with fatty acids attached, it’s done in the ER and Golgi apparatus, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-translational_modification

so ozempic is probably made by a yeast instead and I assume the fatty acid chain is also added by the yeast but I’m no drug man just have a bachelors in molecular bio

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I looked for Pepe boiled meme and this was the first result

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Maed posted:

that’s just a fatty acid and would be an addon yes, its similar to lipid anchored proteins in your cell membrane that are proteins with fatty acids attached, it’s done in the ER and Golgi apparatus, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-translational_modification

so ozempic is probably made by a yeast instead and I assume the fatty acid chain is also added by the yeast but I’m no drug man just have a bachelors in molecular bio

so do i lol i have forgotten everything molecular since moving into systems biology

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

so do i lol i have forgotten everything molecular since moving into systems biology

I touch computers now which uses way less of my brain so luckily I remember a good bit, just don’t ask me to draw any amino acids or the krebs cycle

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
something that confuses me about shrinkflation is the material (food) cost tends to be one of the cheaper parts of a lot of production lines. Like if you use the same packages and put in 10% less food, you’re not saving anywhere near 10% on what you end up distributing. with some stuff like soda packs getting smaller or whatever sure you could look at less cans as more or less a flat reduction in costs but for bulk packaged goods they’re only saving fractions of what they’re stealing from the consumer.

On an individual company scale that may still seem worth it but you know what would make your brands food really stand out and pop off the shelf right now? Having the normal sizes and making a point of advertising that. This feels like one area where capitalism should actually function okay from competition so why is no one competing? If nothing else store brands could probably make a killing right now by pushing this aspect.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

PoundSand posted:

something that confuses me about shrinkflation is the material (food) cost tends to be one of the cheaper parts of a lot of production lines. Like if you use the same packages and put in 10% less food, you’re not saving anywhere near 10% on what you end up distributing. with some stuff like soda packs getting smaller or whatever sure you could look at less cans as more or less a flat reduction in costs but for bulk packaged goods they’re only saving fractions of what they’re stealing from the consumer.

On an individual company scale that may still seem worth it but you know what would make your brands food really stand out and pop off the shelf right now? Having the normal sizes and making a point of advertising that. This feels like one area where capitalism should actually function okay from competition so why is no one competing? If nothing else store brands could probably make a killing right now by pushing this aspect.
consider why they might be having historical record profit margins right now and why they arent listening to your astute analysis

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

PoundSand posted:

Store brands are for poor people. gently caress you, buy more.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

PoundSand posted:

Why compete if the corporations all have the same owners.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 15:25 on May 28, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

*making money hand over fist* but have you considered competition with the store brand

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Why complete if the corporations all have the same owners.

Lol yeah

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anyways, advertisement can create monopolistic effects for something as mundane as sugarhfcs water

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
America is a poo poo country run by poo poo people. Bidean eats poo poo out of an rear end in a top hat and baby bird feeds us to us with this deal. gently caress his geatric rear end. Terrible president. Republicans are terroists. All deserve to be locked up. Democrats complict. The entire country is complicy in imperialism. Lock them all up. Bad country, bad people. So mad. The future is bleak.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Just take a look at your cereal aisle. There's poo poo tons of so many different cereal, but it's all just probably just 3 companies for the entire aisle

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The answer is just they cut both the labor costs, the material costs, as well as charge more because they can.

You will will have no choice, you will be hungry, and you will love it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

comedyblissoption posted:

*making money hand over fist* but have you considered competition with the store brand

Im asking why it hasn’t turned into a prisoner’s dilemma, they’re all making more money because they’re all doing the same thing but if someone broke rank this would be a good chance to snatch customers away from the other brands. The level of consistency with this stuff is crazy, like I drink a lot of seltzer water and within a year everyone went from 12 packs to 8, month by month each name brand and store brand switched over, and it’s like if even one stuck with the 12 or went back to it now they’d get a ton of customers switching over.

I assume there’s some literal as in documentable crime price fixing going on that explains the lockstep nature of these changes

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Corporations were a mistake. Independent enteprtise was a mistake. The government should control everything. But only if they are a communists with fair democratic elections

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

PoundSand posted:

Im asking why it hasn’t turned into a prisoner’s dilemma, they’re all making more money because they’re all doing the same thing but if someone broke rank this would be a good chance to snatch customers away from the other brands. The level of consistency with this stuff is crazy, like I drink a lot of seltzer water and within a year everyone went from 12 packs to 8, month by month each name brand and store brand switched over, and it’s like if even one stuck with the 12 or went back to it now they’d get a ton of customers switching over.

I assume there’s some literal as in documentable crime price fixing going on that explains the lockstep nature of these changes
it's almost like there's not competition and it's a fairy tale for babies

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
sure, if one company lowered their prices, they might make a lot of money in the short term. but eventually their competitors would lower their prices to match, resulting in everyone making less money over all.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

PoundSand posted:

youre not gonna stop buying that garbage so why not make more money for less stuff? *sips diet coke*

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i need this guy to go back, to do an update. i must know if those giant cans are smaller, or the same size and half full

or maybe the loving communists arent fuckin up food distribution for lols and profit, idk

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
can you be free if you cant buy fruta bomba by the gallon?

i mean, really free?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PoundSand posted:

Monopolization is the natural tendency of capital, not competition. Here's a nice little overview of what this means: https://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1916/imp-hsc/ch01.htm

The brands aren't competing for customers, they're playing a fine balancing act of price controls among the like 3 owners of food productions so they all get paid as much as possible while minimizing labor costs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dumb rear end in a top hat aside, I feel like there's some serious inefficiency going on when you have 8 shelves of canned fruit (?) 2 units deep. There's definitely hotspots where customers grab cans from more often and the top and bottom shelves probably don't see much movement.

This means the staffers have to be regularly checking expiration dates and rotating and re-shelving all that stock. Would be simpler to have a narrower section that's restocked more often.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
In the US, you would open the van and there would be a much smaller soup sized can inside.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there's also a marketing idea where you don't want to be known as the "cheap" brand with low quality stuff or else you can't attract the richer consumers. though obviously some companies are fine with this (walmart, mcd).

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

Dumb rear end in a top hat aside, I feel like there's some serious inefficiency going on when you have 8 shelves of canned fruit (?) 2 units deep. There's definitely hotspots where customers grab cans from more often and the top and bottom shelves probably don't see much movement.

This means the staffers have to be regularly checking expiration dates and rotating and re-shelving all that stock. Would be simpler to have a narrower section that's restocked more often.

Why? It's not like the stockers have anything else to do when there's only one products.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
how much papaya do cubans consume

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NeonPunk posted:

Why? It's not like the stockers have anything else to do when there's only one products.

That place absolutely has way more than one product.

Even if there was only one product it's silly to have 8 shelves for it, that just makes it much more likely there's gonna be some forgotten cans that end up expiring.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

these pictures always looked like an attempt to ape western supermarket layouts in an environment where such a gloriously excess number of brands aren't available

NeonPunk posted:

Just take a look at your cereal aisle. There's poo poo tons of so many different cereal, but it's all just probably just 3 companies for the entire aisle

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the cans very clearly switch to another fruit behind the guy. i think grapefruit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

maybe the psychological aspect of being terrified or bandwagoned into taking the remains of a popular thinly shelved product is more profitable

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Covok posted:

Corporations were a mistake. Independent enteprtise was a mistake. The government should control everything. But only if they are a communists with fair democratic elections

If I could go back in time to kill anyone it would be all dutch and english people in the 17th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

DancingShade posted:

We don't have that at all so I can't comment. If I wanted tacos I'd head to a bar that did mexican food.

My friend went when they opened the one in Perth (Midland lol), they had the usual new CFA/InO style insanity

Aussies love slop, same as :911: