Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PoundSand posted:

something that confuses me about shrinkflation is the material (food) cost tends to be one of the cheaper parts of a lot of production lines. Like if you use the same packages and put in 10% less food, you’re not saving anywhere near 10% on what you end up distributing. with some stuff like soda packs getting smaller or whatever sure you could look at less cans as more or less a flat reduction in costs but for bulk packaged goods they’re only saving fractions of what they’re stealing from the consumer.

On an individual company scale that may still seem worth it but you know what would make your brands food really stand out and pop off the shelf right now? Having the normal sizes and making a point of advertising that. This feels like one area where capitalism should actually function okay from competition so why is no one competing? If nothing else store brands could probably make a killing right now by pushing this aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mondelez is the best.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s so funny how all of these products are unnecessary

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

If you run out of toothpaste faster you gotta buy more toothpaste

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Jel Shaker posted:

lmao at thinking jet-puffed isnt vital to the human experience

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Jel Shaker posted:

It's unnecessary to operate each product as its own corporation. So inefficient, but it makes money, which means it's actually very efficient, but there are duplicated management teams all over the place so it's not very efficient, but it makes the money, so it's the most efficient thing possible...

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

PoundSand posted:

perhaps even more telling is “using the threat of the ceiling to do good things” is simply not a part of the Overton window at all. for all the “we can’t use that for good things cause then republicans will use it for bad things” handwringing I’ve never once in my life seen democrats go “republicans are using this for bad things therefor we can use it for good things”

like it’s not even a question or discussion, not an option on a table of trades or deals it’s simply never considered at all.

I wonder why that is.

They are controlled opposition. Always have been. Always will be.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bar Ran Dun posted:

there’s another category of these you are missing quality drop by ingredient substitution. breakfast blend -> classic roast, no quantity or price change but a quality change. Classic roast is over roasted to cover up a lower quality bean mix’s. a change in how much robusto vs arabica. I’d wager there are qa limits that changed as well.

edit no I’m wrong your catching it with the milk
well yeah I mentioned "cheapflation" which is that, but that's hard to quantify.

I mentioned before but Trader Joes meat products have become downright loving nasty to cheapen costs: just extremely gristley terrible quality in everything from tikka masala to pizza to stir-fry bowls. the orange chicken is particularly gross, absolute dreg-tier chicken that's gristle leftovers from some other process thrown into a bag with increased-HFCS 'sauce'. I stick solely to vegetarian or vegan shopping there. Paper Towels are simultaneously both Shrinkflating and Cheapflation, like the quality of Bounty and Kirkland Signature PT is just terrible even though quantity may be the same on paper (heh). I've noticed a few other Costco products that seem to be way worse ingredient/quality-wise to cheapen out.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Xaris posted:

well yeah I mentioned "cheapflation" which is that, but that's hard to quantify.

I mentioned before but Trader Joes meat products have become downright loving nasty to cheapen costs: just extremely gristley terrible quality in everything from tikka masala to pizza to stir-fry bowls. the orange chicken is particularly gross, absolute dreg-tier chicken that's gristle leftovers from some other process thrown into a bag with increased-HFCS 'sauce'. I stick solely to vegetarian or vegan shopping there. Paper Towels are simultaneously both Shrinkflating and Cheapflation, like the quality of Bounty and Kirkland Signature PT is just terrible even though quantity may be the same on paper (heh). I've noticed a few other Costco products that seem to be way worse ingredient/quality-wise to cheapen out.

trader joe's beefless bulgogi

try it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

quote:

Speaker Kevin McCarthy said on Sunday described the student loan payment pause as “gone” as part of the debt ceiling deal announced by the California Republican and President Biden late Saturday night.

“The pause is gone within 60 days of this being signed. So that is another victory because that brings in $5 billion each month to the American public,” McCarthy told anchor Shannon Bream on “Fox News Sunday.”

McCarthy’s remarks came after he and Biden came to an agreement in principle late Saturday to cap spending and raise the debt ceiling.

“What the president did, he went unconstitutionally and said he was going to waive certain people part of their debt for student loan[s], but then he paused everybody’s student loan. So everybody who borrowed a student loan within 60 days of the signing is going to have to pay that back,” McCarthy said on Sunday.

“The Supreme Court is taking up that case. But if the Supreme Court came back and said that was unconstitutional, the president could still say he’s pausing, not waiving it. But now that this is in law, the Supreme Court decision will have to be upheld, that they would have to pay,” he added.

The Biden administration has already indicated that borrowers should expect the student loan payment pause, instituted at the start of the pandemic, would be coming to an end but the timing of that depends on how the Supreme Court might rule in the next month on a case challenging a student loan forgiveness program. Should a pause on payments come to an end under the debt deal, it would mean student loan payments could restart about a month earlier than expected this year.

Biden said in November that payments would resume either 60 days after the Supreme Court rules on his student loan forgiveness plan — which would permanently eliminate some debt — or 60 days after June 30 when the court’s term ends, whichever came first.

lmao joe biden is restarting student loan payments. great job dems

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

try it
oh i love that poo poo, i have like 5 boxes in my freezer and always stock up. its by far the best fake meat i've ever had, and so cheap too. I've used it for tacos, burritos, stir fry, schezuan noodle bowls, stroganoff, etc

it's the only frozen product worth buying imo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

so it sounds like it's starting 1 month earlier than scheduled?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

haha i never thought of using it to make something like taco meat or burritos

ty

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

lol social security ain't going anywhere

even trump understood that touching it would be political suicide

life comes at you fast
SIGH:smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol restarting student loan payments is going to tank what's left of the sham economy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

so it sounds like it's starting 1 month earlier than scheduled?
well the question would be if they were actually going to start demanding people pay student loans starting september 1st, which would be absolutely insanely disastrous. 'cause they don't actually have to demand people start repaying them which would be very stupid thing to do in a crashing economy where no one has money anymore.

now they definitely are, no question about it, and yes even earlier

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

and shortening the pause by 30 days, lol.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Xaris posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

quote:

“The pause is gone within 60 days of this being signed. So that is another victory because that brings in $5 billion each month to the American public,” McCarthy told anchor Shannon Bream on “Fox News Sunday.”

I'm sorry, what? Those payments are taking FROM the public. You know, the People. That is some 1st degree bullshit.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

try it

Shits good and I like it on a sandwich as well as a grain bowl but it's just TVP + spice.

You can just get a bunch of TVP and spice it yourself a dozen different ways.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

anonumos posted:

I'm sorry, what? Those payments are taking FROM the public. You know, the People. That is some 1st degree bullshit.
technically the US 'debt' it a debt owed to US citizens, too, lmao

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Twerk from Home posted:

Shits good and I like it on a sandwich as well as a grain bowl but it's just TVP + spice.

You can just get a bunch of TVP and spice it yourself a dozen different ways.

I've never had much luck with my own TVP or using vital wheat gluten. always ends up tasting like eating rubber. whatever they do is magic

haha i never thought of using it to make something like taco meat or burritos

ty
yea they work well as like a pseudo-carne asada taco

if you're doing burrito, i do suggest cutting them up or making sure they're cooked so much they almost crumble.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

epic "another win" by increasing gov't revenue collected from the population

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

cool av posted:

epic "another win" by increasing gov't revenue collected from the population

only a certain kind of population though, can't increase revenue in other ways

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

starve the beast and the humans

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can’t wait to vote for this old bitch in 2024

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

FizFashizzle posted:

Can’t wait to vote for this old bitch in 2024

write in mecha eco stalin

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

anonumos posted:

Silly OP, debtors aren't people.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Complications posted:

Silly OP, debtors aren't people.

Ooooh no you caught me. I guess I'm off to the Equilibrium incinerators.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

anonumos posted:

Taken from college educated liberal scum and given to God's chosen people, uhhh.. Joe Budden.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

anonumos posted:

ikr

5 billion a month ends up being 60 billion a year. that will almost make up the 80 billion in new money the military gets.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You know what's a good idea during an economic downturn? Take away a huge chunk of the populations purchasing power in exchange for them dumping the money into banks. That will be $5,000,000 in consulting fees please.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

try it

I wish I had Trader Joe's where I lived. :smith:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hubbert posted:

I wish I had Trader Joe's where I lived. :smith:

HEB > TJs > Winco.

Not necessarily in price but how awesome they are.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Trader Joe's lovely wine is up to $5/bottle around me. What has this world come to. Fortunately, Aldi is a buck cheaper for today's cash-strapped drunk.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I went to Arbys yesterday and a medium double classic meal + A medium single beef and cheddar meal with curly fries is $25. The world has truly gone insane.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Mondelez is the best.

they made that name up after kraft foods bought nabisco in like a company wide contest and then closed a bunch of union factories in the north east and all the locals got racial animus cause they thought a mexican conglomerate was stealing their jobs and taking away the pervasive vanilla odor the factories pumped out but it was just a dumb name

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xaris posted:

well the question would be if they were actually going to start demanding people pay student loans starting september 1st, which would be absolutely insanely disastrous. 'cause they don't actually have to demand people start repaying them which would be very stupid thing to do in a crashing economy where no one has money anymore.

now they definitely are, no question about it, and yes even earlier

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see an unplanned debt strike happen

Already one of my friends announced she's refusing to make a single payment

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
lol, millions of people's credit scores are about to instantly tank.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
A gentle reminder that the economic ghouls believe that restarting student loan repayments will 100% cause a recession and they are worried about it.

It could cause a different credit or bank crisis too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I went to Arbys yesterday and a medium double classic meal + A medium single beef and cheddar meal with curly fries is $25. The world has truly gone insane.

what I’m the world