Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the text messages are so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

2 copies of Sampo today. What the gently caress.

I have almost a dozen 4 star light cones and only a couple of ideas who they belong to. Is there a list somewhere?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

someone awful. posted:

the text messages are so good

she's not wrong

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

also good advice

The thing that bugs me about the compass is that the tutorial says the dial shows how far they travel, but I never managed to figure out how to read them before running out of compasses to solve.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Probably the number of moons on the dial but i never paid attention to that poo poo

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yes, it's the number of moons. Each ring moves X/6 of a full circle, where X is the number of moons. And the directions the rings move are shown by the very stylized, curved arrow along the rim of each ring near the moons.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Very few of the compasses have more than one set of multiple rings moving.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If people are finding Jing Yuan underwhelming, it sounds like erudition is maybe just kind of a flawed class for most uses in this game, because he was supposed to be proof of concept of it working really well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean jing yuan is insanely good

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jing Yuan is extremely good at bosses, the issue is just that his mechanics make him awkward for anything that isn't a boss. He's like inverse Himeko.

He's an insanely powerful character for what the current content is, though, since all the content that currently is challenging is based around fighting bosses.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It also depends on your gearing. My JY is as of today finally caught up to my Seele, but his light cone (breakfast) still sucks. Even with his LC though it's a good lesson that no matter how hyped up a character is, they still need a lot of time to get fully built up and even then, you can still do some comparable bonkers damage with a properly built lower-tier character.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I’m pretty sure my entire problem with my JY is gearing issues. He’s really great for bosses in general even with the gear I have tho.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All characters are bad with mediocre gear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jing yuan's really good for everything? so long as his stand gets a turn he obliterates everything. the only content he isnt amazing for is stuff where his stand doesnt get a turn because everything dies so fast which is super easy content

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I think it is really whether you have their light cone or not. A 4 star cone cannot really compete with the character designed 5 star.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
What teams you all use for JY in moc? It took a team of JY tingyun bailu fmc 9 turns to clear the lower half of moc 5 despite vulnerability advantage against everything, being hard stuck on the bosses. I've tried him with asta and pela instead of fmc but the extra damage wasn't enough and I lost the damage race. Maybe I'm missing something and the buffers I'm using don't really work with him.

I don't know what kind of stats people have at this point but i don't think it should be a problem, he has 2.3k attack 57% crit 100% Cdamage, 63% lightning damage with the forgotten halls erudition LC max refine, skill/talent/ult traces at 6/6/5.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I think it is really whether you have their light cone or not. A 4 star cone cannot really compete with the character designed 5 star.
i dont have his light cone. i dont even have the battle pass erudition light cone. im using the herta followup attack one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

jing yuan's really good for everything? so long as his stand gets a turn he obliterates everything. the only content he isnt amazing for is stuff where his stand doesnt get a turn because everything dies so fast which is super easy content

The latter content is what I was referring to, really. He's ironically pretty lovely at all of the super quick easy stuff in the game because it will all frequently die before his mechanics can actually kick in, but he's super good at anything actually challenging.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

UHD posted:

HSR seems more willing to give you free 4* characters

good luck leveling them all tho
hey, every 4* you get is another two warp tickets for the trivial cost of leveling them to 40

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
JY, I've found, really needs Tingyun to be properly effective (good thing they're on the same banner, I suppose!). Effectively all of JY's offensive output comes from his Stand and his actual turns only matter to power it up. Ting is critical for feeding him energy to keep Ults flowing and thus bringing his Stand to 8+ power between each of it's turns.

Similarly, he really shines in Simulated Universe because of the various ways you can generate extra turns or free energy or other buffs to the action economy which all feed back into better Stand turns.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

If people are finding Jing Yuan underwhelming, it sounds like erudition is maybe just kind of a flawed class for most uses in this game, because he was supposed to be proof of concept of it working really well.

I found erudition a bit more important in memory of chaos when there’s a time limit, because sometimes you have like 4-5 ads, and don’t have the luxury of using hunt to do them one by one

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Still haven’t gotten Clara text about shoes yet

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

She's old enough to drink?

Her and Qingque both confuse me. Did they settle on their visual design early on, and only decide to write them as adults with jobs after that was already locked down?

pela serval and cocolia all went to college together

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I don't see a problem with Erudition unless negative reputation of Herta/Qingque are being assigned to the whole class. Current content definitely gives plenty for Himiko and the electro characters to be useful in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FractalSandwich posted:

She's old enough to drink?

Her and Qingque both confuse me. Did they settle on their visual design early on, and only decide to write them as adults with jobs after that was already locked down?

Short people exist???

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I thought short people were the stuff of myths and legends...

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

Short people exist???

Common mistake, its actually a conspiracy so people can claim something about an "average" and then build things I bang my head on.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

They’re actually just average asian height

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

haypliss posted:

I don't see a problem with Erudition unless negative reputation of Herta/Qingque are being assigned to the whole class. Current content definitely gives plenty for Himiko and the electro characters to be useful in.

What's wrong with Qingque? I just got her but she seems fun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

According to the internet, sword ice boy who was training with the new dps is 8

Idk his name

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Walla posted:

I don't think there's anything that really asks for AOE Quantum yet? She's also got that particularly RNG/selfish playstyle beyond other Erudition characters.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Walla posted:

optimal play is rng heavy, mostly

she’s still fun and surprisingly strong but not straightforward

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

According to the internet, sword ice boy who was training with the new dps is 8

Idk his name

don’t trust the internet especially where leaks are concerned lmao

Walla posted:

qingque is genuinely good and can do hard-hitting single target damage but it’s the combination of RNG and skill point hogging that require you to basically build the team around her

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
isn't she the one who loves space mahjong?? what's not to like???

also this is unrelated but i love going through the main quest with whatever characters i want because they're all fine. it's nice to mix it up a lot

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 29, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Lazy_Liberal posted:

yes

celestial jade!!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just got Tingyun, still no Jing Yuan. Can anyone explain why a 3* LC is recommended over the 5* LC that I have? I don't have any of the 4* LCs they recommend.
https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/characters/tingyun

Lazy_Liberal posted:

She rules. You gotta have a little element of chance in your life.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Just got Tingyun, still no Jing Yuan. Can anyone explain why a 3* LC is recommended over the 5* LC that I have? I don't have any of the 4* LCs they recommend.

She rules. You gotta have a little element of chance in your life.

Probably because the main effect of boosting damage on the next ally to act does basically nothing if it hits your healer or tank (or herself in weird SU situations). You'd have to have very precise control over turn order to get much value out of it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Walla posted:

Nothing and e6 is competitive with Seele.

Black Griffon posted:

Don't take that site as gospel or anything. The skillpoint and ER is useful even if the dmg boost doesn't always hit the dps. If you speed tune, it'll almost always hit your dps anyway

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Got it, I'll probably try her out with But the Battle Isn't Over. I just don't feel like spending that much resources on a mere 3* when I've got a lvl. 50 5* sitting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The problem with using But The Battle Isn't Over on Tingyun is that it just doesn't give her much. She only wants to use her Skill once every three turns, she's already skill point-positive, and her Energy cost is very low so the extra regen rate isn't quite as important for her as it is for others.

Compare that to Dance! Dance! Dance! that gives her whole team a big turn order boost every time she uses her very cheap Ultimate, Carve The Moon which is just generically useful with party-wide buffs (which she can take better advantage of than some other Harmony characters since she wants to be basic attacking), or Memories of the Past, which is almost like it's designed for her (even if it's not amazing) because, again, she wants to be basic attacking two out of every three turns. It'll generate more energy for her than But The Battle Isn't Over.

As for Chorus, it's similar to Carve the Moon. It gives the whole party an Attack boost, guaranteed, every time, no time limit, no chance to be removed. It's just generically useful for a character who doesn't really care about most of what BTBIO does.