Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

The problem with using But The Battle Isn't Over on Tingyun is that it just doesn't give her much. She only wants to use her Skill once every three turns, she's already skill point-positive, and her Energy cost is very low so the extra regen rate isn't quite as important for her as it is for others.

This ignores something like Seele going multiple times and losing her buff and sucking up all the skill points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Kild posted:

This ignores something like Seele going multiple times and losing her buff and sucking up all the skill points.

Not really? BTBIO isn't doing anything in that situation either.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zurai posted:

Not really? BTBIO isn't doing anything in that situation either.

Getting an extra skill point and the dmg boost on the first turn (and hopefully ult) isn't nothing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BTBIO also has a lot more raw stats compared to Chorus.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Raw stats aren't hugely important for Tingyun (hitting the Atk thresholds for her buff is relatively trivial) and Chorus is punching well over its 3 star weight with that effect. Ranking it over the Bronya cone makes sense imo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I just use Dance! Dance! on Tingyun

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I just use Dance! Dance! on Tingyun

well obviously, its by far the best harmony cone, but not everybody has it

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kild posted:

Getting an extra skill point and the dmg boost on the first turn (and hopefully ult) isn't nothing.

As opposed to getting 12% extra attack for every turn of her "I'm killing enemies too weak for me" rampage?

BTBIO will give an extra skill point from Tingyun once every... what, 6 of Tingyun's turns? 8? You're really rating that highly?

Ibblebibble posted:

BTBIO also has a lot more raw stats compared to Chorus.

Sure, it's about 200 attack and defense higher. That's not nothing. I don't think it outweighs the other LCs, but it's a better argument than 1 skill point every 6-8 turns.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

There's also the spite angle where the standard gacha gave me BTBIO and not Bronya herself so by god I'm going to use this stupid 5* LC on Tingyun or Asta even if it's not optimal.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I can't see Chorus ever really being a waste, it's a generic effect that you don't have to jump through any hoops for and as a 3* it will be cheaper to raise. Arguments in favor of the 5* are valid but they're also reasons that always bored me when it came to Genshin weapons too (raw stats, you can infrequently use the niche effect).

The fact that I do have good 4* options kind of makes this pointless though, I can just run Tingyun and Asta with their signature cones or swap those around. Dance x3 will get rateup in 1.1 so I'll also try picking up a copy of that then.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yeah I just don't have the 4*s. Mayble I just have to bite the bullet and go Chorus.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Zenostein posted:

also good advice

this is basically my phone if I play this on it for any amount of time

this trailer should be in the op imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZIQMP8w3M4

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah Dance x3 won't come home for me either and I picked the Erudition LC from the battle pass. Carve The Moon is probably what I'll pick up next.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, I doubt you'll notice a massive difference between them in the vast majority of cases. If you've already got BTBIO leveled up, you may as well keep using it. Just make sure to keep a fully-superimposed Chorus around for if you ever pull Bronya (so you can switch Battle to her).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

On the other hand I have 3 Dance but no 4* Hunt cones besides River and Subscribe, so my Seele is in a painful spot. I made the mistake of going for the Destruction Herta LC too...

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I accidentally bought star rail passes instead of the superimpose materials this morning. It was only three (because I haven't even unlocked the extra stages of SU yet) but it was a facepalm moment.

Actually, here's a question: where do I farm relic exp materials from? There's Calyxes for character and LC exp mats, but not relics.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think you just farm relics and salvage them

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
yeah, just grind more relics or run SU for the handful you get off elite/boss drops

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Got it. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but there's a song about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kild posted:

pela serval and cocolia all went to college together
yeah pela's like late 30s. sometimes ladies are just short. heck ive known women in real life who were like 45 who looked like the non-anime equivalent of pela.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

According to the internet, sword ice boy who was training with the new dps is 8

Idk his name
also what happened is here is twitter dug up dialogue where hes referred to as '8' in the 1.1 files. in a flashback. but people are very stupid so they assumed this meant the guy who's called a teenager multiple times is 8.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

also what happened is here is twitter dug up dialogue where hes referred to as '8' in the 1.1 files. in a flashback. but people are very stupid so they assumed this meant the guy who's called a teenager multiple times is 8.

ah, I only saw the leak and then stopped paying attention

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also that text message from Pela only says "how do I get sober" "been up for three entire days and nights" so I got the implication she'd been pounding back cans of energy drinks to meet her doujin deadline, not booze as such

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Endorph posted:

Twitter being stupid and weird about ages???? why I never

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

pela has been in the military for like 10 years she's like 30

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

They mention an honorary degree for for students who have not met the minimum age requirements in Pela's story so it's likely she was one of a child prodigy as opposed to being the same age as Serval and Cocolia.

It also makes for a very funny image of Serval's, Dunn's, and Pela's band.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The insane genshin teens have already jumped over to this game so basically never trust any 'controversial' twitter leaks cuz its all made up poo poo by 14 year olds that get parroted as fact.

e: my fav is the "this line when translated via chatGPT says that Kafka is your biological mother so now anyone who draws pictures of her kissing the MC should be murdered IRL and we should call their school/work"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
loving machine translations. Why do people trust them more than actual translators? I guess the appeal of an infallible machine god is just too much to resist...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
My favorite stupid Star Rail controversy is someone asserting that Mihoyo is supporting Russia's war on Ukraine because Pela shares her name with a Russian folk singer who is pro-war.

Pelagaya is a common enough first name and Sergei is insanely common so Sergeyevna is a very common patronymic, making it entirely possible that this is just a coincidence. But what makes this even stupider is that Pela was added to the Star Rail beta in 2021, months before the war even started.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

My favorite stupid Star Rail controversy is someone asserting that Mihoyo is supporting Russia's war on Ukraine because Pela shares her name with a Russian folk singer who is pro-war.

Pelagaya is a common enough first name and Sergei is insanely common so Sergeyevna is a very common patronymic, making it entirely possible that this is just a coincidence. But what makes this even stupider is that Pela was added to the Star Rail beta in 2021, months before the war even started.

lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

what's the pro order for making your dudes and dudettes stronger???

is it raw level -> cone -> relic -> trace???? cause thats what i've been doingh

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Meowywitch posted:

what's the pro order for making your dudes and dudettes stronger???

is it raw level -> cone -> relic -> trace???? cause thats what i've been doingh

For me it’s usually level>cone>like three days of stamina getting jack poo poo for usable relics>traces>back to relics.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

At least if you farm the Musketeer set it's generically good on pretty much everyone. The spd is never bad especially on supports when we don't really have any dedicated support sets yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

loving machine translations. Why do people trust them more than actual translators? I guess the appeal of an infallible machine god is just too much to resist...

People like being the ones to know information first that others wouldn't know. It doesn't really matter to them whether the information is correct or not.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Eimi posted:

At least if you farm the Musketeer set it's generically good on pretty much everyone. The spd is never bad especially on supports when we don't really have any dedicated support sets yet.

I have been able to at least slap some semi-decent pieces on a few folks, yeah. Conveniently it has been Musketeer because I’m finally building up Tingyun. I just really, really don’t need all these DEF chests and HP boots. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The insane genshin teens have already jumped over to this game so basically never trust any 'controversial' twitter leaks cuz its all made up poo poo by 14 year olds that get parroted as fact.

e: my fav is the "this line when translated via chatGPT says that Kafka is your biological mother so now anyone who draws pictures of her kissing the MC should be murdered IRL and we should call their school/work"
that bit is even funnier because the context for the leaked line is kafka's playing a game of truth or lie with the protag

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also that text message from Pela only says "how do I get sober" "been up for three entire days and nights" so I got the implication she'd been pounding back cans of energy drinks to meet her doujin deadline, not booze as such

that's actually funnier so I'll go with it

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Forget the comparative-- I don't know why people trust them at all.

It's one thing if you don't know a reliable speaker of the source language and just want to get a rough idea of what something probably says, for your own information, and don't put too much weight on it. But at the point where you go to someone else and say "Well, ChatGPT says...", something's gone terribly wrong.

Of course, not all human translators are reliable either. But that's a separate issue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

All I care about is my absolutely crack theory that Stelle is Sirin to be validated. Just have to leave the imaginary version to last and when we get it her hair turns purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

Forget the comparative-- I don't know why people trust them at all.

It's one thing if you don't know a reliable speaker of the source language and just want to get a rough idea of what something probably says, for your own information, and don't put too much weight on it. But at the point where you go to someone else and say "Well, ChatGPT says...", something's gone terribly wrong.

Of course, not all human translators are reliable either. But that's a separate issue.
the issue is the presentation of machine translation. basically no machine tl service says 'fyi the service is spotty so take it with a grain of salt,' because that'd be bad marketing. so when you plug something in and it gives you something that 'looks' correct a lot of people just take it at face value.

this is why deepl specifically is so popular. its not actually more accurate than google tl, it just creates sentences that look more 'natural.'