Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm on the side of good ending, the whole show has been a nihilistic comedy and in a weird way everyone gets what they wanted in the end. The only bullshit ending would have been Barry surviving to the end, guys been too much of a loving monster. Also NohoHank prequel still available, maybe it'll be like Better Call Saul and also have an alright ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Barry in Barry was great at playing a bad actor. but he was 6'2 so it's alright.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zidjJB1p4G0

“Hey Ike, ya shitbird… ya want a little piiiiieeeeeeee?!”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

One of my favourite exchanges...

Barry: "I got an on screen part, Mr Cousineau."
Gene: "What, are they reading extras now?!"
Barry: "You know, that's so funny; Sally said the same thing..."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

MrMojok posted:

“Hey Ike, ya shitbird… ya want a little piiiiieeeeeeee?!”

The gradual disappearance of silly/energetic Barry to his final state in season 4 made me sad but I totally get why they did it. Fuches and Hank still got some pretty goofy scenes among all their own darkness, but Hader is such a funny physical actor that I couldn't help but be a little disappointed when his scenes were so subdued, even if there was something intellectually comedic happening. "Oh wow" was a classic Hader deadpan though.

Also shout-out to Movie Gene who plays Graner in Severance and I always wanted way more of. He's got a great scowl.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've pulled a horrible missile launch like Hank did SO many times in GTA. I loved that scene.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Ror posted:

"Oh wow" was a classic Hader deadpan though.

Absolutely, all-timer dying line

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I love the complaints about the time skip because it's clear people aren't paying attention. "It's not even near future, they didn't change anything". The whole world is more cynical. They have things called phone movies, actors are referred to as their social handles, and you can just buy guns in the toy aisle. Of course it's not realistic in our current world, because it's a look at how things could be in 8 years if things go really shittily. "Barry couldn't buy all those guns as an ex convict". Yeah, maybe now, but after 8 more years of "guns have more rights than children" policies from the people whose first act of legislation in 2017 was to make it easier for mentally ill people to get guns? It's totally believable, especially in the GTA adjacent world of Barry where no one cares that there's a gun fight on the highway or in car dealership.

It's not even that far from unrealistic. In my local Walmart the gun section is literally separated by one aisle from the toy section; part of the sports section breaks it up, it's just an aisle of basketballs between action figures and real-pew-pews. And the only exit from that part of the store involves walking down past/by the toy section

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

NoMo Hank :(

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Definitely feel like Hader had the ending thought out before the middle and the last season kind of just wrapped it up to that point. I don't quite believe that everything would get pinned on Gene and that Barry would be seen as a hero in the movie after the storyline of the last season. I love the ending I just thought the episodes leading up to it didn't quite connect.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Doltos posted:

I don't quite believe that everything would get pinned on Gene and that Barry would be seen as a hero in the movie after the storyline of the last season.

Have you seen American Sniper?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pirate Jet posted:

I meant that I don't believe the way the characters acted and the lines they said in the situations they were put in would lead to the conclusion that happened on screen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Perfect ending to a perfect show imo. I wouldn't change a thing :yeah:

Also,

https://twitter.com/TheAlexSylvian/status/1663173439145021442

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I just watched the finale, and I have a ton of thoughts but can't really articulate them all rn (dealing with a lot personally), BUT...

The Mask Collector bit was really gd good. I liked what they did with all that so much. Like, despite the show itself using CGI wounds and stuff, they intentionally made the blood in the movie have that clearly-digital-blood look. Barry has had some good examples of cgi blood that looks convincing enough (my favorite was the back of his tee getting soaked slowly near the end of the episode ronny/lily, it was pretty good) But yeah, the Mask Collector bit was great, and not just for the way they had Hollywood bastardize the story.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 30, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I enjoyed how Barry got Sally's Hamlet lines in the Mask Collector.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Tagichatn posted:

I enjoyed how Barry got Sally's Hamlet lines in the Mask Collector.

Lmao, that as well. There were some great little touches that made it feel like a plausible "prevented truth biopic/true crime story" kinda thing

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Wittgen posted:

A lot of the complaints in this thread are wild. Barry has always existed in a GTA style hellverse. Barry buying those guns and then striding through the toy section isn't a mistake. It is both a joke and part of the point it's making about the US.

Great season. Great finale. What a great loving show.

I never made this connection but yeah Barry absolutely takes place in the GTA universe. The only other show that hits that same 'moronic criminals having weekly gunfights in broad daylight and nobody cares' vibe is Sons of Anarchy, except it wasn't doing it on purpose lol

Doltos posted:

I meant that I don't believe the way the characters acted and the lines they said in the situations they were put in would lead to the conclusion that happened on screen.

IRL some marine did so many war crimes his own unit turned him in disgust and then Trump pardoned him and called him a national hero and 40% of the country believes that to this day

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Mask Collector got me wondering how challenging it is for a reasonably skilled actor to deliberately play a poor actor putting in a bad or middling performance. The layers of abstraction at work to calibrate it just right, convincingly flat without being self-consciously so, makes my head hurt.

Actors are normally really good at mimicking, so they typically mimick a bad performance they saw somewhere that stuck with them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wolfsheim posted:

IRL some marine did so many war crimes his own unit turned him in disgust and then Trump pardoned him and called him a national hero and 40% of the country believes that to this day

Eddie Gallagher

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

It really tickles me that of all the people that could have talked Barry into turning himself in, it ended up being Tom.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I liked the movie ending a lot, just kind of hate how they parked the characters around it.

I think part of it is that the show has followed a 'cosmic karma' of sorts since the start - people do bad things, it puts them in bad places. Reoccuring bit is that you can run away from your demons, but they catch up. Consequences and what not. Gene's fate feels like a huge overshot of that, given his main sin was taking some bribe money and vanity. That plus Barry getting the redemption he sought, was just a bit unsatisfying to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

one of the wildest details about that fucker was his own squad mates said they would surreptitiously dial the optic on his rifle off zero so he was less likely to hit the random people he shot at.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
yeah I loved that finale, everything up to the Nohobal shoot-out was the perfect send-off to Barry as a drama and everything afterward was the perfect send-off to Barry as a darkly comedic Hollywood satire. I am mad they didn't bring back the trumpets though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DaveKap posted:

The "Barry at the shore of the dead" stuff seemed to just... disappear.

Tender Bender posted:

the Death Beach and the desert winds are completely abandoned

https://twitter.com/fleMitchfilm/status/1663253242401390594

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

mutantIke posted:

yeah I loved that finale, everything up to the Nohobal shoot-out was the perfect send-off to Barry as a drama and everything afterward was the perfect send-off to Barry as a darkly comedic Hollywood satire. I am mad they didn't bring back the trumpets though

What i wish they'd done is have no title card until the "oh wow" bit, and then instead of cutting to black do the title card with theme music. I know they wanted to tease a Sopranos ending, but cone on guys. Title card and theme music. Golden opportunity!

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Thread title is bumming me out now.
At least Carrigan did go out with another great scene.

Definitely cared more about his fate than Barry's at the end.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

thehoodie posted:

My one takeaway from the finale is that Anthony Carrigan (noho hank) better win a goddammy Emmy. Masterful acting in the final scene with Fuchs

Him and Sarah Goldberg better get emmys or we riot.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I think part of it is that the show has followed a 'cosmic karma' of sorts since the start
Hard disagree; a big aspect of what has made this show so off-putting (in a good way) to me is how it flouts that kind of karmic approach and has outcomes happen for no reason, for evil reasons, for just plain stupid reasons, whatever.

Its critique of Hollywood is tied into that: people are frequently rewarded for evil narcissism and others just get screwed over for no reason.

Martman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 30, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Him and Sarah Goldberg better get emmys or we riot.

They won’t even give Rhea Seehorn an Emmy. I’ve given up on the Sarah Goldberg Emmy/Oscar dream :smith:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Martman posted:

Hard disagree; a big aspect of what has made this show so off-putting (in a good way) to me is how it flaunts that kind of karmic approach and has outcomes happen for no reason, for evil reasons, for just plain stupid reasons, whatever.

Yeah I think the longest running joke of the show is how many undeserved second chances Barry gets. Which you could mistake for the meta-narrative of any TV show protagonist until the show starts to explicitly call attention to it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Or Lone Survivor, which turned out to be pretty much all bullshit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah I think the longest running joke of the show is how many undeserved second chances Barry gets. Which you could mistake for the meta-narrative of any TV show protagonist until the show starts to explicitly call attention to it.

In the season 3 finale where everything is played completely straight with no jokes, the FBI guy saying he's going to let Barry off the hook but he's got to stop murdering people "starting now" made me bust up laughing. Reminded me of the "well that was a freebie" joke in Arrested Development

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Were Goran and Hank brothers? I had that assumption in s1 and now I’m not sure.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Just wanted to pop in in case Bill Hader reads TV IV and say great poo poo dude. Awesome show and you nailed the ending. Sorry some of these other guys aren't feeling it. Wlel seeya

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

ProperCoochie posted:

Barry got American Snipered

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

It really tickles me that of all the people that could have talked Barry into turning himself in, it ended up being Tom.

yeah I loved this too. tom came in clutch, too little too late though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That's completely unrelated to death beach in my mind.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh wow

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SimonChris posted:

It also just occurred to me that they never explained how Moss explained knowing about the 250k. He can't very well tell the DA he tortured Barry, so that leaves the reporter's notebook, which he also got by torturing someone. Did they just take his word for it?

Gene's son flipped. There's a headline right at the end that says "I found out about my dad's drug money... so he shot me."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DaveKap posted:

That's completely unrelated to death beach in my mind.

What do you want out of death beach? It was a hallucination of the people he's killed just as he himself was on death's door. It was a fun piece of symbolism, but what would revisiting it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ror posted:

Also shout-out to Movie Gene who plays Graner in Severance and I always wanted way more of. He's got a great scowl.

Oh God thank you, I knew I recognized him from somewhere!

Playing Gene as a completely rigid, emotionally restrained plank of wood is so perfect too, just completely misrepresenting Cousineau's entire personality.