Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Folding Ideas documentary about crypto pointed out that anyone can put anything into your nft wallet (or whatever they "store" them in), including malware. So one day you could be looking at your nft collection and there's one you don't recognize so you click on it and oops all your apes are gone.

A lot of these hacks occur through the various stupid discords all these ape guys are in where someone will post a link to get a hot new thing in your crypto wallet that actually just steals everything in your crypto wallet. it is trivial to steal from NFT people because they are the most credulous rubes on earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

A lot of these hacks occur through the various stupid discords all these ape guys are in where someone will post a link to get a hot new thing in your crypto wallet that actually just steals everything in your crypto wallet. it is trivial to steal from NFT people because they are the most credulous rubes on earth

yeah it's fuckin hilarious

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021

a strange fowl posted:

we also have job search agencies, privately owned but federally funded and mandated, whose task it is to force people into work. (many of these in my area have pivoted from general unemployment to disability employment services because it's so lucrative.) the task of the agency job coach is to first badger the disabled person into taking the work, and then "support" them by ringing them and their employer multiple times per week to make sure they're performing with sufficient enthusiasm. each client will have at least three job coaches in a given six-month period, and for keeping them employed, each of the coaches gets a generous bonus (several thousand dollars) at the one-month, three-month and six-month mark. the overseers at the employing companies are also well-paid for their hard work supporting disabled people. all in all, for every disabled person packing boxes for pennies, at least six individuals and two companies are making a profit. but the client gets dignity, so it's not all bad.

I was out of work after college, and went to one of these agencies to access their job board. Just the general unemployment office run by the state. I made an appointment to talk to a ‘consular’ who was supposed to help me with my resume, maybe have leads on jobs, where to apply, etc. I show up and talked to the receptionist to tell them I’m here. 15 minutes later, a lady comes in to chews me out for being “late” and tells me how this behavior wasn’t going to lead to employment. She then lectures me again for not having a physical resume in hand (I had emailed it earlier). Finally I was like “I just want credentials for your job board, and also aren’t you supposed to want to help me?” And she very firmly told me that “that wasn’t how this relationship worked”. And I walked.

The whole thing felt very parol officer or court order thing. Like you’re already guilty of not having a job, and it was this lady’s very unenviable task of making sure you were properly chastised. But I guess if her job is primarily to ensure unemployment benefit compliance, I guess that makes sense. Either way, it sucks

Broadlybrowsing has issued a correction as of 05:52 on May 30, 2023

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

bald looking freaks like that hate life

only a couple of people can pull off a bald look

the rest hate themselves and everyone else

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Climate change is going to kill most of us by 2040. Perhaps we shouldn’t spend our remaining days making random rich people richer.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mr Hootington posted:

🤔 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1663216832981917700?t=vYjdPQ2aDBVfARwcaraKGA&s=19

I know a couple who have been freaking out for months because they just bought a condo last year (lmao) and basically will have to choose between mortgage payments and food if their budget gets hit for a few hundred more bucks. They've got a baby on the way, too.

imo there's a big disconnect between twitter libs and the average democratic moron, where the latter really, legitimately did not believe that student loans would ever resume or that joe biden would directly hurt them like that

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 06:30 on May 30, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a strange fowl posted:

if current trends in australian social services design is anything to go by, domestic internment/work/extermination camps in the 21st century are going to be branded with this weird positive veneer about care and compassion, i don't want to see it but also look forward to seeing how the marketing geniuses pull it off.

It's not an internment camp it's a wellness centre.

It's not a forced Labor camp it's a social community centre.

It's not a extermination camp it's a reeducation centre.

It's not a corpse recycling centre it's a soylent green factory.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Before Janet Yellen was saying June 1 was the X-date for a US default, but now it's June 5? How is that possible? :confused:

Our accounting at the government level is a giant pile of money that millions of random transactions made at various times in the past are drafted out of. The pile is refilled by things like income taxes, which we don't know the actual amount of until they actually come in.

That's why the estimates are always different, they basically don't know. The earliest ones were "sometime in August/September" based on high income tax revenue projections. That came in lower than expected so the estimates were "as early as June" then "June 1st" now "June 5th."

What this means is no projection is right as they don't actually know, but the projections get more accurate the less money we have.

We probably shouldn't be dicking around less than a week from any of these deadlines because a $1,000,000,000 dissolving boat payment might take us by surprise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

I know a couple who have been freaking out for months because they just bought a condo last year (lmao) and basically will have to choose between mortgage payments and food if their budget gets hit for a few hundred more bucks. They've got a baby on the way, too.

imo there's a big disconnect between twitter libs and the average democratic moron, where the latter really, legitimately did not believe that student loans would ever resume or that joe biden would directly hurt them like that

Dave Ramsey voice: sell both the F150 and the Jeep, buy a clunker

Voice from off camera: also sell the kid

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
did i say next monday? my bad, i meant LAST monday. lol covid brain what can u do

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

*deletes 1 dollar out of every 100 sloshing around in the consumer economy*

no big deal!!

hey those dollars are evenly distributed in both cases right

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

no big deal!!

Those numbers all end with a zero, so evenly distributed yeah. Nothing ending in a 7 or 3.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

no big deal!!

0.2 trillion sounds like a tiny number, nothing to worry about

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

yea they basically said they're projecting +50% earnings, $7 to 11b thanks to AI and everyone got in on it after earnings call. AMD et al is up massively as everyone's looking for the next hot AI stock after missing out on NVDA

tangent but i'm pretty sure VIX is being artificially controlled the past year with various new derivatives and 0dte stuff. hell like back in 2018 or 2019 (oxsnard posting era) under trump it was basically exploding every other week to 60+ just based on things like Feds overnight repo market bail-outs even with <1% interest rates. but now we've had 3 major bank failures, rear end-blasting inflation, skyrocketing rates, wide-sweeping bankruptcies and massive layoffs, collapse of commercial real estate and massive vacancies, big sell-offs, yet it's still been basically a constant zero continuously the past 2 years?? What the gently caress. something don't smell right in wall street, and it's not the rising homeless population that the bankers are throwing onto the streets

i'm not sure of the mechanism to execute that or the means to do, but with a top 0.0001% class controlling the world economy and trillions of dollars on the line, i'm sure they have the best and brightest doing it. it's very much in their interest to use whatever shady algos and ownership of the stock infrastructure to make sure it's artificially low.

i feel like a crazy conspiracy person even mentioning it because I have literally never seen it mentioned anywhere; however, after LIBOR, nothing is surprising

i also find this fascinating but yeah just talking about it sounds like an insane conspiracy

it probably helps that the subject is so bizarre and nonsensical that i can’t even describe what a VIX is to someone normal, or myself even

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Broadlybrowsing posted:

The whole thing felt very parol officer or court order thing. Like you’re already guilty of not having a job, and it was this lady’s very unenviable task of making sure you were properly chastised. But I guess if her job is primarily to ensure unemployment benefit compliance, I guess that makes sense. Either way, it sucks

I can relate to this. In my early 20s when I was dirt broke working minimum wage, I tried going to a public services office for food stamps. Going through the entrance, you had to walk through a zig-zagging corridor of opaque glass walls with at least a dozen posters hung up saying that welfare fraud is a felony and YOU WILL be punished etc.

There was also another time I was directed to a low-income health clinic way out in the middle of nowhere that I had to drive a long while to get to. When I got into the doctor's drab, bare office, he immediately launched intp an angry tirade about how I was making up my past diagnoses and learning disability, that I was trying to take advantage of the system etc. All that over just wanting to continue my previous prescription of fluoexetine.

Finally, there was a time where my dad had kicked me out of the house and drove me out to a homeless shelter in the middle of rural bumfuck nowhere where he dumped me off (for two weeks before my mom convinced him to take me back in). Despite my best efforts to hide my phone at night, I had my phone stolen by somebody on the last night before my checkout date. When I reported it the next day to the staff member on duty, she just yelled at me saying it was my fault for not reporting it sooner.

This is all poo poo people regularly face when they find themselves on the wrong rung of the societal totem pole in the US. And this is all after being raised in an upper middle class family, mind. This can happen to anybody.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jel Shaker posted:

0.2 trillion sounds like a tiny number, nothing to worry about

0.2 isn't even half, its just a rounding error.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Current s&p price/sales ratio is 2.4 lol

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1663494515498295297

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Mr Hootington posted:

🤔 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
https://twitter.com/EpsilonTheory/status/1663216832981917700?t=vYjdPQ2aDBVfARwcaraKGA&s=19

this is going to help people who are positioned precariously economically by simply pushing them off the precipice

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

Climate change is going to kill most of us by 2040.

Look at this pie in the sky dreamer.

WWIII will get us before that.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

spacetoaster posted:

WWIII will get us before that.

That's one way to reset the debt ceiling

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

not this much doomsday

please lower the doom by 3

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

do people like this hear themselves lol

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i didnt do jack poo poo in my 20s and while i kinda regret it at times otoh im gonna look back when im older and be happy i just partied my rear end off.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
your 20s are for loving around and figuring out who you wanna be, I assume these morons keep their heads down and never leave work because they never question that they want to be Rich, and that's it lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Scott Galloway has exactly one good idea: breaking up the big tech companies because anti trust is good

everything else is garbage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Scott Galloway has exactly one good idea: breaking up the big tech companies because anti trust is good

everything else is garbage

breaking up big tech just lets them reagglomerate again

it's just loving Warren-ism

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

breaking up big tech just lets them reagglomerate again

it's just loving Warren-ism

break up the tech CEOs :devil:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
people say break up big banks, break up big tech - I just wanna break up!

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's like a souls game. you kill the boss, you think you've won, then the health bar regenerates and turns yellow and it's super pissed off this time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol stomck
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1663518263785971717?t=O3izlpezi1Nq6CjgzU2jIw&s=19

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

FUNNY NUMBER SOON

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

deepdish is the best pizza

there is no argument
hosed up

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

your 20s are for loving around and figuring out who you wanna be

In that case, I must have had a pretty successful 20s, then.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/yogiken/status/1663240942852390913?s=20

big lol if true

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Government gonna bail out the meme stonks

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In an America without a rescission ban, most Americans would be uninsurable due to being fat.

People with prior conditions could sometimes still get insurance but only in the high deductible class, old sick people were packed in at most of the entry level places I worked at in the tech sector prior to aca because those were the only places that would insure them lol

I knew a guy with 25 years of experience doing tech support and he was taking calls for a cell phone provider because he had one of his shoulders replaced and nobody would insure him anymore. career just completely and permanently dead ended because you got hurt.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:28 on May 30, 2023

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Our accounting at the government level is a giant pile of money that millions of random transactions made at various times in the past are drafted out of. The pile is refilled by things like income taxes, which we don't know the actual amount of until they actually come in.

That's why the estimates are always different, they basically don't know. The earliest ones were "sometime in August/September" based on high income tax revenue projections. That came in lower than expected so the estimates were "as early as June" then "June 1st" now "June 5th."

What this means is no projection is right as they don't actually know, but the projections get more accurate the less money we have.

We probably shouldn't be dicking around less than a week from any of these deadlines because a $1,000,000,000 dissolving boat payment might take us by surprise.

I prefer to imagine a huge couch they are currently digging through looking for a few billion in pocket change stuffed in between the cushions.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Were any numbers ever released on the proportion of paused loans that were in IBR? With the changes to the payment calculation the amount people need to pay back each month might be a lot lower than anyone's expecting

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Were any numbers ever released on the proportion of paused loans that were in IBR? With the changes to the payment calculation the amount people need to pay back each month might be a lot lower than anyone's expecting

I think those changes to the calculation are still holed up in the supreme court. I am not sure tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The pile is refilled by things like income taxes, which we don't know the actual amount of until they actually come in.

not true the govt knows how much you make and how much your taxed from the start of the year they just make the tax system look like they don’t know so a middleman can exist