Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What if Soundwave was phone?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Jay Rust posted:

Have you tried Anbennar? Everyone’s talking about it

I heard a podcast discussing the lore of the necromancer country were people mortgage their dead bodies to live a life of comfort while they're living and then their corpses do all the work when their dead.

Eu4 combat is vet boring though, so it's a mixed bag

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

hatty posted:

Then we'd finally know who was

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hatty posted:

:hmmno:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

fridge corn posted:

There's an old school transformer toy named Camshaft which transforms into a Mazda RX-7, a car famous for its rotary engine which has no camshafts

New transformer based off a Tesla called No Explode

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

New transformer based off a Tesla called Firetrucksmash

Orv
May 4, 2011

hatty posted:

Dime store Cybertronian lookin

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

fridge corn posted:

There's an old school transformer toy named Camshaft which transforms into a Mazda RX-7, a car famous for its rotary engine which has no camshafts

Shoulda named him Apex Seal

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I watched this, cause I wanted to have a laugh
It's not a video by Blizzard, but Future Game Show - the devs just turn up to answer the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziz0mamG-iM

Gonna imagine ActiBlizz aren't going to be too fond of the PR blowback on this one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I thought they didn't use transform because they didn't want to have it overlap with the pre-existing transform mechanic
its the same mechanic, is the funny part

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ilmucche posted:

I thought they didn't use transform because they didn't want to have it overlap with the pre-existing transform mechanic

those cards are all built around the pre-exisitng mtg transform mechanic.
except they had to rename it to "convert"

efb

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh is this related to how Bumblebee, despite his name, can never be allowed to transform into a bee

Yeah exactly. They actually lost the right to use the name Bumblebee for a while, cause during the 90s it was all Beast Wars. They couldn't put the name Bumblebee on like an antelope or something because that's clearly stupid, and they couldn't put it on an actual bee because then the name is just descriptive and can't be a trademark, so they didn't use it at all and someone else sniped it or something. They didn't fix that until the Bay movies.

TFwiki posted:

Genericized trademarks

Trademarks can also be lost by allowing a term to become a "genericized trademark" — effectively, letting their mark become a common term. Examples include "thermos" for vacuum flasks (genericized in the US in 1963), "linoleum" for floor covering, and "zipper" for a method of fastening fabric. Brand names that are also in danger of becoming genericized (but are currently still protected as trademarks) include "Kleenex" for facial tissues, "Jell-O" for processed, gelatinized pig hooves, "Xerox" for photocopies, and "Google" for computer searches.

Hasbro has realized that using the word "transform" as a verb to describe the process of changing a Transformers toy from one mode into another one would make the brand name "Transformers" descriptive, making the mark indefensible. The end result would have been a loss of the mark Transformers as a registered trademark, allowing competitors to use it as a generic term for their shape-shifting robot toys and thus creating further confusion among parents when asked to buy a Transformer.

As a consequence, the use of "transform" as a verb when being used to describe Transformers product is almost strictly forbidden in certain written materials: If it's a toy that "converts", Hasbro can argue that Transformers is not merely a descriptive term, thus allowing for trademark protection to persist. Synonyms like "convert" (or simply "change") are used in Hasbro's own products (like packaging call-outs and instructions) and in licensees' products (such as game guides). This generally didn't apply to fiction for many years, but most comics and cartoons began to follow suit per Hasbro mandate starting in the 2010s, with exceptions only being made in very specific instances.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They renamed Hot Rod to multiple variations of Rodimus/Hot Rodimus/Rodimus Minor to avoid any potential trademark nonsense on toy re-releases

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

i love playing with my hot rodimus minor toy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hwurmp posted:

why is Soundwave a ninja
that's "shattered glass" soundwave, an alternate universe where autobots are evil and decepticons are good!!!!!(shown by their badges being reversed colors)

it's bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh is this related to how Bumblebee, despite his name, can never be allowed to transform into a bee
this is literally the reason, yes

specifics on "convert" and "morph"
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformation#.22Transform.22_as_a_verb

ilmucche posted:

nope!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ODtsNMNJXk

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
MN, some of these shrines in Tears are making me feel really, really stupid and bad at games. I’m doing one that’s focused on rails and the first two “parts” are pretty simple, then the third one has two rail segments that aren’t the “proper” way to the top because they’re dead ends, and you have to put a new rail on the third one on the fly while they’re sliding downwards after you turn off the fans. Well, that or I’m wildly off base with how they want me to proceed. I guess I’m happy for all those people who thought the first game’s shrines were a weak point for being too easy though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwcMBpVXzWM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

oh hell yes

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still kind of disbelieving that we're getting a Beast Wars movie even if it's kind of seemingly half-sidelining the beast characters and is still in the bizarre Bayverse.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Canada it was called Beasties, I guess because war is too violent

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Also it sounds like Besties :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

MN, some of these shrines in Tears are making me feel really, really stupid and bad at games. I’m doing one that’s focused on rails and the first two “parts” are pretty simple, then the third one has two rail segments that aren’t the “proper” way to the top because they’re dead ends, and you have to put a new rail on the third one on the fly while they’re sliding downwards after you turn off the fans. Well, that or I’m wildly off base with how they want me to proceed. I guess I’m happy for all those people who thought the first game’s shrines were a weak point for being too easy though.

for the rail shrine, the intended solution is to create a makeshift cart by placing one long plank atop the rails and three more vertically on the underside, one on each end and one in the center. the vertical planks will brace against the rails and let the fans carry you over

had to go to YouTube for that one

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

I like to cheat and use parts from previous rooms in a shrine. Sometimes you can also just abuse time reversal because no one was thinking about it/intending it to be used. I have no idea if those would help in that shrine though, I haven't run across that one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I have fun playing Stellaris. But I play it at a very casual level as a kind of complicated roleplaying game. I can't speak to how it functions as an actual 4X-style strategy game.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

for the rail shrine, the intended solution is to create a makeshift cart by placing one long plank atop the rails and three more vertically on the underside, one on each end and one in the center. the vertical planks will brace against the rails and let the fans carry you over

Ah yes, the sideways E shrine. That one took me forever but then once I figured it out it was smooth sailing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I actually had this exact idea but I didn’t have enough fan power to get over the incline with the cumulative weight, but maybe I did it wrong by not letting momentum build up all the way or something?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was very excited when Stellaris console edition went up for free on PS+pass cuz staring at a screen full of tiny circles connected by arbitrary lines scratches an itch I've not been able to reach since Escape Velocity, but it turns out it's a pretty tedious and boring game :(

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bone emulator posted:

I heard a podcast discussing the lore of the necromancer country were people mortgage their dead bodies to live a life of comfort while they're living and then their corpses do all the work when their dead.

Eu4 combat is vet boring though, so it's a mixed bag

What was the podcast, out of curiosity

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've been really surprised by the building (and by extension the shrines) in TotK. I'm usually not very good at puzzles, nor am I particularly creative or patient when building things in games, but for some reason TotK broke through both of those. Almost every shrine I've done has been fun and hasn't taken me too long to figure out what to do, and I've been having a blast making weird vehicles to ride around on.

I credit it to the shrine design, I think, because I feel like the shrines have been nudging me to think about my tools in different ways that I can then apply out in the open world. It's pretty cool.

And yet somehow I still never remember that I can rewind time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Now I really want Marvel vs Capcom but it's a volleyball game

https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/1663260466255151105?s=20

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Personally I've not found any use for ground vehicles that aren't a horse, as much as I've tried making a fan-powered sled work in the end it's just a much worse version of a horse

Similarly I don't know why the game keeps suggesting I hitch a wagon to my horse, because like, why, I have infinite inventory space on my Link.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Gripweed posted:

Now I really want Marvel vs Capcom but it's a volleyball game

Finally, it's Natsu from Rival Schools' time to shine.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Personally I've not found any use for ground vehicles that aren't a horse, as much as I've tried making a fan-powered sled work in the end it's just a much worse version of a horse

Similarly I don't know why the game keeps suggesting I hitch a wagon to my horse, because like, why, I have infinite inventory space on my Link.

I made a monster truck using the big wheels and stone slabs to make a cabin that I use to explore the depths. Stick a large brightbloom seed on top and it casts a ton of light while you drive around, it's great.

I don't use ground vehicles much on the surface but I use them all the time in the depths. Once I upgrade my battery more I might switch to flying more often but most flying things I've made eat battery like crazy while the monster truck is really efficient.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

I watched this, cause I wanted to have a laugh
It's not a video by Blizzard, but Future Game Show - the devs just turn up to answer the questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziz0mamG-iM

Gonna imagine ActiBlizz aren't going to be too fond of the PR blowback on this one.

Looks like FGS put up a comment saying it was a mix of questions sourced from the D4 fan base and their own staff and they made up screen names to protect the anonymity of their staff

This feels like a pretty obvious lie because why put Amy screen name at all then

Orv
May 4, 2011
The fact that the ones that weren’t hurriedly made in the wake of people figuring it out were very specific, exact names and not BonerGoku1776 makes it an even worse lie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also even if their story is true, that still doesn't reflect well on them because they said that Blizzard was only made aware of the questions during the interview. So why would any publisher work with FGS if they're just going to deceive you and misrepresent you to make you seem like a liar?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I am feeling very blessed, not only am I able to sneak in some gaming at work, but it's been nice gushing with my gamer coworker about the cool stuff we find in TotK :shobon:
It's like being in the schoolyard again!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

HopperUK posted:

I have fun playing Stellaris. But I play it at a very casual level as a kind of complicated roleplaying game. I can't speak to how it functions as an actual 4X-style strategy game.

This is me with CK3. I just treat it as a rogue llike where you play on Ironman and start as the in the Faroes and see how long you can last before a larger blob eats you. 90% of the time I never even get to unlock my Royal Court because my dynasty becomes landless first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Mods change jay rust's name to gushing gamer co-worker