Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade for the ND for street?

On my NC I put on Koni yellows, Progress springs and sways, and it was perfect for my use case. Does the ND just need sways to kill the float, or are struts/springs (or coilovers) recommended there as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
seconding that. I've got to install my FM sways yet, but was also thinking about coilovers, honestly just to get an inch of drop or so. But I don't want to buy dogshit, so yall tell me how much to spend to get decent ride quality along with my cool squat

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I didn’t like how konis felt on the stock springs. I’m currently running xidas on the stock springs at stock ride height for dumb reasons.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got a nice 6-7" buffer, a bunch of extra pads, a couple bottles of various compounds, and a couple bottles of 9H ceramic crap. Pray for me as I try to learn paint correction, very slowly at first. wanna knock out some of these wind swirls

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Parked my ND facing the sun, and I don't think that - until today - I appreciate the visual rhyme between the crease over the door and the line at the line from the wheel well to the trunk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's like poetry!

I don't have an ND so I don't think I've noticed that crease at all, pretty cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I didn't notice that one till i'd had mine for like a month and then the moon was out just right when i was out on a smoke break and i was like, holy poo poo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

blk posted:

What's the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade for the ND for street?

On my NC I put on Koni yellows, Progress springs and sways, and it was perfect for my use case. Does the ND just need sways to kill the float, or are struts/springs (or coilovers) recommended there as well?

Sway bars unless you want to lower the car too. They have a fair amount of body roll

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A clutch will be easy I Said to myself. It's like 10 bolts I told myself... 7 hours total on a lift with a short pizza break.

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

tater_salad posted:

A clutch will be easy I Said to myself. It's like 10 bolts I told myself... 7 hours total on a lift with a short pizza break.

not looking forward to doing mine but it's gonna be due soon.
anything in particular go wrong?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I watched this video when I considered doing it and and it seemed like it was enough of a pain in the rear end that I'm glad I could just have it done when the engine was out for the frame repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6hZoVt-QRI

It's probably not too bad if you have a garage with proper equipment though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I too watched that video many times to ensure a proper list of poo poo to get done got done. I would not want to do that on the ground with hand tools. I'd mayyybeee attempt to get it done with a quickjack, but no fuckin way would I do it on the ground like he did. I'd have someone $450-600 in labor to do it for me.

The pisser was.. clutch seemed okay / not destroyed. The pilot bearing was fukt and rear main was leaking so at least it wasn't a total waste.

Geneva Breaker posted:

not looking forward to doing mine but it's gonna be due soon.
anything in particular go wrong?

On an NA you MUST put some pressure on the front of the engine. The 2 people there shop owner included did not listen so we lost probably an hour or 45 mins trying to line up the first time. Then I again said.. we need a Deadman / tall rear end jackstand sober can tip the motor down a few and it slid most of the way on. Then it actually mated most of the way, then had someone crank the crank and 'wiggled the poo poo out of that fucker' as the old man shop owner said and it was good.

Even though we didn't disconnect the slave it got air in it, on the Na with the dumb fuckin loops in the hard line it takes fuckin aggeeeeesss to bleed like 15-20 mins we went through about 2 reservoirs of dot3 to get it finally engaging.

The other bits of times were looking for tools etc.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 29, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Big skies today in Denver. Good day to bop around grabbing last minute charcoal and mustard

https://i.imgur.com/TcWY7Ak.mp4

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jonny 290 posted:

Big skies today in Denver. Good day to bop around grabbing last minute charcoal and mustard

https://i.imgur.com/TcWY7Ak.mp4

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice.

My Miata is on the sidelines until i order and install a new fuel filter. I was less than excited about what I saw when the car was on the lift. Every mile I would drive is ticking a bomb clock down towards zero. And I only know that there's probably less than 60 seconds on that clock.

E: ordered.. bought the one from partsgeek since it's got the bracket and I don't think my bracket is going to do anything other than disintegrate when touched.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 30, 2023

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L81EwTPbFMY

Kinda want to get one of those 360 cams and mount it on the hoop

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Progress!

Still lots to do but I'm getting there.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Mine is in the body shop (again) after someone hit it (again) and my rental car is a Nissan (again) and I’m banging my head off the steering wheel every time I brake (again)

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I, too, have a Nissan while my ND is in the shop because some dingus in a truck didn’t see it parked next to them

I hate driving normal cars

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Eyud posted:

I, too, have a Nissan while my ND is in the shop because some dingus in a truck didn’t see it parked next to them

I hate driving normal cars

That’s exactly what happened to mine! He thought he was in an empty parking lot (and he was, other than my NC in the space next to his passenger door), got in his truck, cranked the wheel over to the right to proceed directly to the exit, and *crunch*

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I left a thank you note for a friend who came over to feed my axolotls while I was out of town this weekend:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

pastor of muppets posted:

I left a thank you note for a friend who came over to feed my axolotls while I was out of town this weekend:

That's awesome!

I have a question for the NC folks. Am I correct in assuming that the 5X Racing coilovers sleeves will work on NC Bilstein B6's and that in addition to the sleeves and 2.5" springs I will also need the top hat adapters from Goodwin Racing and that should be it?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

That’s exactly what happened to mine! He thought he was in an empty parking lot (and he was, other than my NC in the space next to his passenger door), got in his truck, cranked the wheel over to the right to proceed directly to the exit, and *crunch*

This happens to 50 kids a week: https://www.kidsandcars.org/how-kids-get-hurt/backovers/

Vehicle size really needs to be heavily taxed.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It's beginning to look like a car again.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Russian Bear posted:

Vehicle size really needs to be heavily taxed.

I keep feeling that we need to put some F = ma limits on things. Like, if you want to drive something quick, you can get a 200hp roadster, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to drive a 627hp turbo truck that weighs 5250 lbs. Kinetic energy should be the cutoff

Geneva Breaker
Aug 5, 2022

not read post

Jonny 290 posted:

I keep feeling that we need to put some F = ma limits on things. Like, if you want to drive something quick, you can get a 200hp roadster, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to drive a 627hp turbo truck that weighs 5250 lbs. Kinetic energy should be the cutoff

gear 'em down, give trucks 2L diesels and 15:1 rear ends and watch how quickly brodozer types stop talking about towing capacity

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

It's beginning to look like a car again.

Do you lift on the pinch welds with pucks (I believe that's the mazda statement), or go inside for the framerails?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I lift the front from the front subframe, and the rear from the diff, and then place jack stands at the mazda indicated reinforced positions (just inside the pinch welds). I have lifted from the pinch welds at times, as had the previous owner, and they're pretty mangled at this point. Making a mental note to straighten them up a bit before I take the car off the stands.

I have a set of homemade ramps (made out of I think 2x8's) that I use because the car is too low to actually get a jack to the front subframe.

Don't lift from the frame rails, they'll just collapse. There are reinforced areas of the frame rails at either end I think you can use for lifting, but I never bother.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I lift the front from the front subframe, and the rear from the diff, and then place jack stands at the mazda indicated reinforced positions (just inside the pinch welds). I have lifted from the pinch welds at times, as had the previous owner, and they're pretty mangled at this point. Making a mental note to straighten them up a bit before I take the car off the stands.

I have a set of homemade ramps (made out of I think 2x8's) that I use because the car is too low to actually get a jack to the front subframe.

Don't lift from the frame rails, they'll just collapse. There are reinforced areas of the frame rails at either end I think you can use for lifting, but I never bother.

ahh You're using a jack it looked like a Lift controller not setting on jackstands.
With quickjacks I can't really do a diagonal lift.. so Looks like my points are either at the pinch welds between the notched out areas.. or behind there at the corners of the car.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TrueChaos posted:

Seconding this. I accidentally lifted from the reinforced part of the frame rails several times not knowing there was a difference until the one time I got unlucky and crumpled one

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah FSM says either pinch welds between the 2 drains / notches on the rail is the proper jackstand point.. I have slotted blocks for the pinch welds so wont crush em.
I usually have to jack behind that because LOL trying to reach my jack to the dif or subframe.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

tater_salad posted:

ahh You're using a jack it looked like a Lift controller not setting on jackstands.
With quickjacks I can't really do a diagonal lift.. so Looks like my points are either at the pinch welds between the notched out areas.. or behind there at the corners of the car.

I am going to get a set of quickjacks the next time they go on sale, and for that I'd lift from the pinch welds with the slotted rubber lift blocks.

Just get a long jack. At stock ride height there was no issue getting to either once I had a proper jack.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I usually lift from the diff/crossmember and then put the jackstands at the reinforced areas just inside of the pinch weld. But also I just got a rubber block with a slot so I can do quick wheel changes without having to mess with a ramp and jackstands for the front. Seems to work ok.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

mobby_6kl posted:

I usually lift from the diff/crossmember and then put the jackstands at the reinforced areas just inside of the pinch weld.

Same.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TrueChaos posted:

I am going to get a set of quickjacks the next time they go on sale, and for that I'd lift from the pinch welds with the slotted rubber lift blocks.

Just get a long jack. At stock ride height there was no issue getting to either once I had a proper jack.

I'm too low even on 2x4 with a proper jack it's a bit hard to get to.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I'm too low even on 2x4 with a proper jack it's a bit hard to get to.

Same, I built a set of wood ramps out of 2x8's. Jack fits when I'm on the 2nd level, so equivalent to 2x 2x4's height wise.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Finally got around to testing out the Harddog hideaway hitch and Yakima bike rack yesterday -- to go ride laps around COTA.
(The turn 1 hill is miserable on a bicycle in case you're wondering)

The BRZs at the office are trying to adopt me, too.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How do you deal with the auto up/down window thing leaving streaks when you wash your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tonight I finally got my GoodWin Racing RoadsterSport SuperSport (goddamn that's a lot of random capitalization) axle back installed today and fuk I love this stupid car lmao. It's exactly what I wanted which was a little more aggressive sound with the top down. Owns.

Hardest part of the installation was wrestling those god drat rubber hangers.