Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol the fed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Orvin posted:

I know its not entirely their fault, but raising tuition to cost as much as it does is a significant adder to their problems. A lot of states cut funding to their colleges, and swelling administration demands more money that had to come from somewhere. If the costs are close to the same, why would anyone sign up for Podunk U when it doesn’t let you rub elbows with future executives.

yes exactly. podunk U can cost as much as a top20 meme school so the only reason to go there would be if you don’t get in to better ones but now all universities are getting increasingly desperate that even more popular state schools will accept anyone they can pay because they just don’t get enough applications

though the state funding going down is bad, capacity is way way the gently caress overbuilt. it’s much worse than even service economy like coffee shops or restaurants. I think we have the most college seats per capita than any other country by far. a lot of these should probably consolidate into fewer state schools and increase state funding while cutting back nepotism do-nothing admin jobs exclusively existing for white surbanites

college admin jobs are basically UBI for middle-upper class connected white people. poors or poc need not apply

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:18 on May 30, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Passing above the average is still impressive for an AI, but given that chatgpt is just a generative text model? 60-some percent is a woeful result for an anthropomorphic legal dictionary

Bar exams usually have written sections as well where you have to analyze fact patterns and write some legal document in response

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

And how much of that overbuilt University capacity is aimed at International students that just are not coming anymore, and are probably never coming back? I thought that was a huge push as well, as the international students paid full price admission, and would go to just about any open spot at a big state school.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think international was mostly graduate student ?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i quit my job in february because it sucked and i assumed all the goon doom & gloom over the failing tech economy itt was exaggerated. it was so easy the last few times there's no way hiring has slowed down so much i wouldn't be able to just jump right back in. i'm still unemployed and can't get past a phone screen presumably because every job opening has one thousand former google or microsoft or whatever employees also applying to it

it's accurate to some extent. the ghost jobs thing is also real. hacker news is a real bellwether or how things are when it's the same people/companies posting the same exact jobs month in month out on their monthly job thread.

also if a recruiter indicates in any way that they're not in a rush to hire and/or want to find the right person, just tell them you aren't interested because either way you'll get a rejection email within 48 hours since they aren't actually trying to fill the role unless it's a unicorn

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Orvin posted:

And how much of that overbuilt University capacity is aimed at International students that just are not coming anymore, and are probably never coming back? I thought that was a huge push as well, as the international students paid full price admission, and would go to just about any open spot at a big state school.

I believe the big push for international students followed the millennial baby boom getting churned through college system, and limited new kids coming after to fill all these new seats because births had plummeted by like 1995 or something. so they then aggressively marketed to international because they fill seats AND yeah pay way way more than instate students.

I don’t think they really built out for international, just were the next target. (e nevermind misread)

but yeah those are way down and probably not coming back

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:27 on May 30, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
With NIL being legalized for colleges as well, they can offset a lot of cost with having ultrawealthy boosters fund the sports programs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

this is the longest unemployment gap i've had in a decade by a factor of about 3-4x

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
make depressions great again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

this is the longest unemployment gap i've had in a decade by a factor of about 3-4x

that just means more video games to play :twisted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this happened in the spring season of the housing market crash too iirc. is it sticky is the bigger question

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

euphronius posted:

Bar exams usually have written sections as well where you have to analyze fact patterns and write some legal document in response

Another thing to note is that if you get the answer wrong on a bar exam, but display reasoning in a correct way, you will still get partial credit. This is why BarBRI goes out of its way to pound IRAC format into your head when you take their test. You might have memorized a state's law enough to get each long answer 100% right, but you can still get enough points that you will still pass. I can therefore see why an AI bot could "pass" the essay portion of a bar exam.

I'm sure there is a way to game multiple choice answers too, especially if you have already built in enough of a data set. Walking into an exam with a Google connection in your head is pretty much the computer equivalent of memorization though, no?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My organization is licensed to a private, third-best-in-city private school, so all the university aflame talk is fun to read.

Discretionary spending gone. Any time someone leaves, the position is posted but mysteriously never gets filled. Nobody on contract gets renewed. Someone that made a mistake while still on the probationary period was basically disappeared.

Executives acting like if they just smile enough, the employees (their children) won't notice their fear. I guess this is technically better than layoffs but woof.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chad Sexington posted:

My organization is licensed to a private, third-best-in-city private school, so all the university aflame talk is fun to read.

Discretionary spending gone. Any time someone leaves, the position is posted but mysteriously never gets filled. Nobody on contract gets renewed. Someone that made a mistake while still on the probationary period was basically disappeared.

Executives acting like if they just smile enough, the employees (their children) won't notice their fear. I guess this is technically better than layoffs but woof.

this is how my company is operating now. positions are just not refilled or they're refilled in india. thats it.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Xaris posted:

yes exactly. podunk U can cost as much as a top20 meme school so the only reason to go there would be if you don’t get in to better ones but now all universities are getting increasingly desperate that even more popular state schools will accept anyone they can pay because they just don’t get enough applications

though the state funding going down is bad, capacity is way way the gently caress overbuilt. it’s much worse than even service economy like coffee shops or restaurants. I think we have the most college seats per capita than any other country by far. a lot of these should probably consolidate into fewer state schools and increase state funding while cutting back nepotism do-nothing admin jobs exclusively existing for white surbanites

college admin jobs are basically UBI for middle-upper class connected white people. poors or poc need not apply

Don’t forget sports. The state uni my wife teaches at has an athletic program that’s over 80 million in the hole, it patches that by just stealing from the actual education departments annually but it just grows and grows.

I don’t really get it cause the old refrain for bloated sports budgets was that it brought in alumni ticket sales and such which made it worth it but when it’s budget is just -several million per year it’s crazy they get to keep justifying it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

one place i applied for dragged out the interview process for weeks and eventually wanted me to do a free work assignment that would have likely taken over 50-100 hours to do anything close to correctly. this was with zero guidance on success metrics or anything. after realizing i wasn't going anywhere with it, i very politically told the recruiter that they could gently caress off.

Xaris posted:

that just means more video games to play :twisted:

i finished all the ff pixel remasters, so yeah

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Are you sure you’ve max’s out your potential passive revenue streams?

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1663611221944201217?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

the bitcoin of weed posted:

truly we flew too close to the sun. might as well go learn to weld

Learn to weld stainless steel and Hastelloy-C and you’ll be set for life

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

SourKraut posted:

Learn to weld stainless steel and Hastelloy-C and you’ll be set for life
I can’t even weld mild steel, how am I supposed to do that?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PoundSand posted:

Don’t forget sports. The state uni my wife teaches at has an athletic program that’s over 80 million in the hole, it patches that by just stealing from the actual education departments annually but it just grows and grows.

I don’t really get it cause the old refrain for bloated sports budgets was that it brought in alumni ticket sales and such which made it worth it but when it’s budget is just -several million per year it’s crazy they get to keep justifying it.

The only reason public education hasn't been abolished outright in the US is that it houses sports.

And yeah, you're not making big money on sports unless it's like the SEC or whatever big sports school. But don't worry anytime you bring up these ludicrous budget priorities you have people shouting you down acting like every school can pull in numbers like the top 25 schools.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/acyn/status/1663611221944201217?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

What hath Max Weber wrought?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

work requirements will set you free

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

im sure he mispoke

*checks news*

oh :smith:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

why would children have dependents?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FizFashizzle posted:

lol hes absolutely thinking of a 35 year old as a child

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anime was right posted:

lol hes absolutely thinking of a 35 year old as a child

it’s true anyone under 54 is a child

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

why would children have dependents?

Abortion is illegal and soon child brides will be legal.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Orvin posted:

I can't speak for everyone but it was roughly 20%. A combination of smaller population, decreasing federal support and different economic conditions is making things look dire.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

child brides are already legal, get with the times

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Koirhor posted:

Work will Dignify

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Toiling a lifetime away in miserable jobs until you die of a preventable disease or injury: worth, value

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FizFashizzle posted:

the treats are drying up, get your kids into the meat packing facilities and kia dealerships.

we've got work to do

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Koirhor posted:

the original had the same meaning, coulda just said it

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Gorson posted:

Toiling a lifetime away in miserable jobs until you die of a preventable disease or injury: worth, value

Imagine these ghouls' perfect world where a girl is married off, works AND bears children until she dies giving birth to #9 at the age of 27.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao the libs and dems

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

anonumos posted:

Imagine these ghouls' perfect world where a girl is married off, works AND bears children until she dies giving birth to #9 at the age of 27.

that’s the world jesus wanted. sounds good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao the libs and dems

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

"stop sending money to china" bro who is gunna make the iphone. are we gunna make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

triple sulk posted:

OpenAI
AlphaBet
          Amazon
          Microsoft
          Nvidia
          Apple