Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was under the impression that Rock Paper Shotgun was clean.

Sort of. Their parent company Reedpop hosts game/comic/fandom conventions. So RPS' writers have to cover all those events in detail. They can say whatever they want about the actual games.

Gaming journalism is never bought and paid for, unless you mean the outlets themselves are bought by gaming companies. Or publishers just don't give them interviews/pre-views etc. Not even the editors get bribed, its kind of a lovely deal all around :v:

E: yeah what Fajita said

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not outright payment, it's the expectation that if you write reviews which aren't stellar you will stop getting perks like early access game copies and ad buys which allow you to exist and do your job.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sort of. Their parent company Reedpop hosts game/comic/fandom conventions. So RPS' writers have to cover all those events in detail. They can say whatever they want about the actual games.

Gaming journalism is never bought and paid for, unless you mean the outlets themselves are bought by gaming companies. Or publishers just don't give them interviews/pre-views etc. Not even the editors get bribed, its kind of a lovely deal all around :v:

E: yeah what Fajita said

Gamespot fired gerstman because he put out a luke warm review of Kane and Lynch while they were paying for a site skin.

I don't know that it's common, but to say it's never happened is a little strange.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I'm sure outlets put ad-related pressure on their writers (like what happened with Gerstmann at Gamespot) but for the most part I'm guessing publishers feel safer not being directly involved in petty cash bribes. Easier to do what Bethesda does and just not send out review copies or talk to journalists and let their ad budget talk to the public.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was under the impression that Rock Paper Shotgun was clean.
they posted like five billion amazon affiliate links during the big amazon strikes a few years back

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fajita Queen posted:

It's not outright payment, it's the expectation that if you write reviews which aren't stellar you will stop getting perks like early access game copies and ad buys which allow you to exist and do your job.

Its not only the Evil Publisher its the problem with most SI press. This is a not very intellectual demanding hobby based job, so people who actually like games but aren't necessarily good writers/thinkers/critics or have any kind of education in that field are often the people who write reviews or news. The audience is neither (or mostly at least) interested in some more in-depth thoughts about it as it is not that kind of hobby for most parts so it remains just glorifying everything the writer personally likes, making it more or less unintentional marketing.

RPS current EIC is a very good example for this type I think. I've never read anything remotely critical from her and her texts are full of emotional fillers in favor of the subject.

gamesindustry.biz is usually a very welcome exception here as an "industry" magazine (same as gamedeveloper but they lost good staff over the years) but doesn't necessarily cover d2d information

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 30, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

MarcusSA posted:

You’d think there would be some ethics in games journalism.

Aw c'mon. Please don't GamerGate-joke without making it a little more obvious you're anti-gamergate

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Randallteal posted:

I'm sure outlets put ad-related pressure on their writers (like what happened with Gerstmann at Gamespot) but for the most part I'm guessing publishers feel safer not being directly involved in petty cash bribes. Easier to do what Bethesda does and just not send out review copies or talk to journalists and let their ad budget talk to the public.

Alannah Pierce did a video about it and that from her experience aside from the really blatant cases like Gerstmann in general reviewers don't worry about publishers nearly as much as they worry about the community response to low reviews.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

leper khan posted:

Gamespot fired gerstman because he put out a luke warm review of Kane and Lynch while they were paying for a site skin.

I don't know that it's common, but to say it's never happened is a little strange.

That's what everybody assumed happened, but the actual instigator was Sony complaining about Jeff's 7.5 review of a Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

YouTube is the new home for decent gaming journalism. You’ll have to spend a lot of time separating the signal from the noise, but it’s there. The ad model on written journalism is so broken I don’t understand how RPS is still around.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I really don't think I would trust individual youtubers to be less vulnerable to bribes/pressure from game companies, to be honest

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pseudorandom name posted:

That's what everybody assumed happened, but the actual instigator was Sony complaining about Jeff's 7.5 review of a Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction.

Even funnier

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Drakkel posted:

I really don't think I would trust individual youtubers to be less vulnerable to bribes/pressure from game companies, to be honest

They absolutely do sponsored videos and don't always disclose that appropriately.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, and to further clarify, game publishers routinely complained to GameSpot management about game review scores, including current advertisers. The new management just happened to be pathetic bootlickers who actually did something other than ignore it. So this isn't even really Sony's fault.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

haldolium posted:

Its not only the Evil Publisher its the problem with most SI press. This is a not very intellectual demanding hobby based job, so people who actually like games but aren't necessarily good writers/thinkers/critics or have any kind of education in that field are often the people who write reviews or news. The audience is neither (or mostly at least) interested in some more in-depth thoughts about it as it is not that kind of hobby for most parts so it remains just glorifying everything the writer personally likes, making it more or less unintentional marketing.

the other issue is that 'game criticism/opinion pieces/reviews' and 'game journalism' are often written by the same people so that leads to a lack of focus on one or the other, or weird mixing of the two. like roger ebert wasnt out there giving us updates on box office returns.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"Journalism" being a mouthpiece for whoever has money or influence is hardly just a games industry problem, to be fair. It's like that pretty much across the board.

Also game reviews being considered journalism is another weird thing that shouldn't be the case.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m just thinking of how it was more general outlets that first broke the story about Acti:blizz:’s culture of systemic sexual harassment

On the one hand, I get that the big media companies obviously have a lot more resources on hand overall compared to your typical game news sites. But on the other, they got beaten to the punch (for what was easily the story of the year in the games industry, at that) on something that’s ostensibly supposed to be in their wheelhouse.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 31, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Fajita Queen posted:

"Journalism" being a mouthpiece for whoever has money or influence is hardly just a games industry problem, to be fair. It's like that pretty much across the board.

Also game reviews being considered journalism is another weird thing that shouldn't be the case.

:agreed:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Drakkel posted:

the amount of money streamers and content creators get paid to highlight a game for a video or a few days/week of playing is actually wild. very little of that appears to be tagged as such, too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the amount of money streamers and content creators get paid to highlight a game for a video or a few days/week of playing is actually wild. very little of that appears to be tagged as such, too.

Yeah it's part of advertising law in the UK at least that if a Youtube video or social media post is sponsored it needs to be clearly marked, before the user clicks on it in the case of a Youtube video. Of course no Youtubers do this because nobody wants to watch an ad so if you tag the video as an ad no-one watches it.

On the games media I remember a writer for Official Nintendo Magazine UK telling a story about how he was told he had to give a good score to a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, but they didn't care about the text of the review. So he wrote this brutally negative review but just slapped an 85% at the end and no-one cared because it's all about maintaining that Metacritic average. You see this with people raging about outlier reviews where the line is "You just want to ruin the metascore".

Of course it doesn't help the media's image that so many people go from games media outlets to working PR and dev jobs in the industry. Like how Sisi Yiang who was famous for writing extremely pro-gacha articles for Kotaku last week posted that she'd been hired as a writer for Genshin Impact.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The pernicious thing on youtube is people saying 'Not sponsored, not affiliated! But the company did send me all this product for free!' Well then you are affiliated, aren't you, really. Because if you trash the stuff they'll probably stop sending you product for free. Nerdecrafter is bad like this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HopperUK posted:

The pernicious thing on youtube is people saying 'Not sponsored, not affiliated! But the company did send me all this product for free!' Well then you are affiliated, aren't you, really. Because if you trash the stuff they'll probably stop sending you product for free. Nerdecrafter is bad like this.
tbf im not entirely sure how true that is because ive definitely seen people say 'they sent me this for free and it sucks' and still get free copies

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Endorph posted:

tbf im not entirely sure how true that is because ive definitely seen people say 'they sent me this for free and it sucks' and still get free copies

I suppose that is fair enough, though surprising. Maybe it depends on the company.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
There should be an expectation that a publisher will send a reputable reviewer a free review copy of an item.

But obviously without strict guidelines around that, it quickly and very easily morphs into the relationship we more commonly see now where a publisher can withhold access after bad reviews and a reviewer wants to give good reviews because all this free stuff is good.

Like in a perfect world you'd want someone reviewing whose cash comes from stuff almost completely orthogonal to games in general. But I've not found anyone who's managed to make "Reviewing videogames but advertising an accounting system" work just yet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Like in a perfect world you'd want someone reviewing whose cash comes from stuff almost completely orthogonal to games in general. But I've not found anyone who's managed to make "Reviewing videogames but advertising an accounting system" work just yet.

Closest to that are probably people sponsored by G-fuel or one of the other zillion "gamer adjacent supplements/food/whatever the gently caress this slop is" products.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

AceOfFlames posted:

Closest to that are probably people sponsored by G-fuel or one of the other zillion "gamer adjacent supplements/food/whatever the gently caress this slop is" products.

Now let me tell you how ExpressVPN changed my life.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HopperUK posted:

This actually happened in the emulator handheld world recently, Taki Udon had announced a giveaway sponsored by Jsaux but posted a critical video of one of their things and they pulled the sponsorship. I don't mind people getting review units for free, I don't expect people to spend hundreds a month buying stuff for review. What's grinding my teeth in that space now though is one of the big popular handheld reviewers posting reviews that say they're not sponsored but also have custom discount codes to buy the device, which I believe is literally in one of the sets of regulations for what constitutes an ad on Youtube.

Natural 20 posted:

This was the thing with Giant Bomb and the ads they ran on the Bombcast, those ads were very explicitly never videogame related. I believe both Nextlander and Jeff Gerstmann have continued that practice with their Patreon podcasts.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HopperUK posted:

I mean, sometimes publishers just send you free games without needing to ask. Or if you’re intended to review it you’ll ask for a code and they’ll send you one.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

njsykora posted:

This was the thing with Giant Bomb and the ads they ran on the Bombcast, those ads were very explicitly never videogame related. I believe both Nextlander and Jeff Gerstmann have continued that practice with their Patreon podcasts.

I will never forget that one ad Gerstmann read for a special by comedian whose name I don't remember where he was clearly instructed to read the ad as written and not do the usual funny bit. Him saying the sentence "He's the sort of guy to eat Chick-fil-A on a Sunday!" sounding like he wanted to murder-suicide the entire audience will forever haunt my dreams.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

I will never forget that one ad Gerstmann read for a special by comedian whose name I don't remember where he was clearly instructed to read the ad as written and not do the usual funny bit. Him saying the sentence "He's the sort of guy to eat Chick-fil-A on a Sunday!" sounding like he wanted to murder-suicide the entire audience will forever haunt my dreams.

As a fan of his work I would really like to hear this do you recall when it happened by any chance?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Chasiubao posted:

As a fan of his work I would really like to hear this do you recall when it happened by any chance?

I have a reading in my head and I don't want to spoil it with the real one because what I have right now is really funny

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

Somehow by sheer luck (i.e. just going on Spotify, picking an episode from vaguely the time I listened to the show, and working backwards listening to the first few seconds), I have found it:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/giant-bombcast-03-10-2015/2970-16628/free-podcast

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

njsykora posted:

On the games media I remember a writer for Official Nintendo Magazine UK telling a story about how he was told he had to give a good score to a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, but they didn't care about the text of the review. So he wrote this brutally negative review but just slapped an 85% at the end and no-one cared because it's all about maintaining that Metacritic average. You see this with people raging about outlier reviews where the line is "You just want to ruin the metascore".

This is becoming a kind of trend, where reading the actual review text things like 'unpolished, full of bugs, stale writing, etc' you'd think it was a borderline unfinished game and then it gets a score of 8.5/10. Whether or not that was editor mandated or someone being a lovely reviewer is up for debate. It's coming down to the number worship being prized above all and that the reading of the actual text absent any score would lead the layperson to give it a much lower score in their head.

I also have to think that most of the established companies hire tons of 'consultants' reviewers and pay them in peanuts+exposure without any care about the quality of their work because otherwise how do you explain that Nintendo review guy at IGN who's entire tenure was pretty much blatant plagiarism in the few months he was on staff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

angry video game nerd, sponsored by genshin impact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i forget who but i remember a youtuber mentioning that he got sent an ad offer by raid shadow legends, said no, got sent another like a week later, didnt say anything, got sent another a couple weeks later, said no and to stop sending him offers, got sent an ad offer a week later, sent them goatse, and then got sent another ad offer

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Endorph posted:

i forget who but i remember a youtuber mentioning that he got sent an ad offer by raid shadow legends, said no, got sent another like a week later, didnt say anything, got sent another a couple weeks later, said no and to stop sending him offers, got sent an ad offer a week later, sent them goatse, and then got sent another ad offer

I know exactly who you're talking about and I genuinely cannot remember the name of the YouTuber.

Mobile games as a whole are a fascinating topic to me, and while it'll never happen I'd desperately love to see statistics on marketing strategies and # of emails sent out to fish for sponsors.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Raid Shadow Legends is special even among mobile games. Like all of them (summoner's war, cookie run, mihoyoverse, etc) do it but RSL just does not pay attention to what you say about the game and offers tons more money than anyone.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Reviewers are always gonna get caught in perverse incentives if their content is primarily about exclusive access or timely reviews. The “decent” YouTube journalism I was talking about are videos not caught up in that web — retrospectives, deep dives, video essays. There’s plenty of content like that on YouTube. It’s arguably healthier for us all if we aren’t plumping for the creator with the exclusive access and earliest review.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/toadsanime/status/1663929004187951106?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kotick made 480 million dollars out of thin air when he conned 12 of his acquaintances into buying into the overwatch league. 480 million dollars and in exchange he gave them absolutely nothing. I cant think of a better/worse deal in the history of business. I guess thats why the board still seems to like him despite being the world's easiest scapegoat. Ofc thats not the kind of thing you can brag about publicly.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 31, 2023