Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

President Xi: "Pokemon Go To The Countryside!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Acelerion posted:

drat 4 hours is impressive. I usually can't crack 3

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Today is anti-china day. Looks like musk, Dimon, and a few other big wig ceos are in China doing some glad handing so the USA press has to go full yellow peril.

only FT seems to really be running with it. Bloomberg is leading with Russia/Ukraine and everyone else seems to be leading with the debt ceiling vote

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Acelerion posted:

drat 4 hours is impressive. I usually can't crack 3

productive work? I think I average 2, 0 on Fridays as god intended

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, 16 to 24 seems like a very narrow window in which a lot could be happening including NEETs and there does seem to be a seasonal rhythm to it. It doesn't seem like it is affecting urban employment, suggesting that a lack of jobs isn't an issue but is more voluntary. It could also suggest that kids are also just leaving home later as China becomes a developed country.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

very low BTC trading volume

despite the low volume, we're in the 6th consecutive week of net crypto outflows totaling $272 million. net outflows in 13 of the past 20 weeks YTD

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Full remote work has been great from a time management standpoint - I've been able to get away with working daily till lunch time and being done for the day

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Youth unemployment? that's bad. youth working in auto and meat packing plants? that's good.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
we’re going to need more child sized uniforms and protective equipment

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
okay yeah it seems bad to have a 13 year old working at a meat packing plant until you realize he's gonna have 30 years of wages under his belt at 43, he can probably retire by 50!

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

okay yeah it seems bad to have a 13 year old working at a meat packing plant until you realize he's gonna have 30 years of wages under his belt at 43, he can probably retire by 50!

we should allow these young adults (13 counts now) to contribute to 401ks in their child labor jobs, just think of the returns! compound interest ftw

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

webcams for christ posted:

only FT seems to really be running with it. Bloomberg is leading with Russia/Ukraine and everyone else seems to be leading with the debt ceiling vote

I'm seeing a number of articles from runners, new york times, and wapo. It is most likely what all the connected fintwit accounts are pushing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There should be a required work program starting freshmen year of high school where kids are required to work 8-16 hours a week doing community services like community gardens, community kitchen, litter pickup, park upkeep, old person visitation. The jobs would rotate yearly until graduation. Not in the current usa of course.

Thanks.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

quote:

CHIP started in Western Pa. — and could catch families left behind by COVID-19 emergency declarations ending

With origins in Western Pennsylvania, the Children’s Health Insurance Plan, or CHIP, may soon act as a safety net to catch those in the commonwealth who have lost Medicaid coverage. Following the recent end of pandemic-era safeguards, millions of people across the U.S. are expected to no longer be eligible for Medicaid.

CHIP provides coverage to uninsured children whose families don’t qualify for Medicaid and can’t afford private insurance.

Christine Coles, retired and living in Ingram, called the program “a gap insurance” for families living in poverty but not eligible for state assistance. And she said it saved her son’s life.

Throughout the 1980s, Justin Coles would be hit with ear infections, fevers and nausea, consistently like shockwaves. His pediatrician said he required surgery to implant tubes in his ears to stop the chronic ear infections, which had started threatening his hearing. But around 1985, Justin’s father lost his mill job as steel production in the region collapsed.

The family lost its health coverage and couldn’t afford Justin’s medical bills. Although Ms. Coles was working, her job did not provide the family with benefits. With the support of a church, Justin was enrolled in The Caring Program for Children, which funded his surgery. The ear infections ended, Ms. Coles said.

The Caring Program for Children began, with help from Highmark, as a collection of Western Pennsylvania grassroots organizations, including churches and unions, that sought out uninsured children who needed support, in part as a response to the economic collapse occurring in the region in the 1980s. It soon became the Children’s Health Insurance Program, of which 4-year-old Justin was the one of the first members

CHIP was signed into Pennsylvania law in 1992 by then-Gov. Robert P. Casey, and it was a template for the federal CHIP program, approved by former President Bill Clinton in 1997. Then-state Rep. Allen Kukovich, a Democrat from Westmoreland County, had co-sponsored the initial legislation with then-state Sen. Allyson Schwartz, a Democrat from Philadelphia.

“This program saved his hearing, and I know it has saved many lives,” Ms. Coles said. “I am grateful that he had that basic foundation of good health care. I am proud to be a part of it.”

Justin, now 40 and living in Robinson, spoke at a Highmark-sponsored event Downtown last week celebrating the 30th anniversary of CHIP about his experience being one of the first in the program.

“This program has meant the world to me. It’s hard not to get emotional talking about it,” he said in a video of the event. “As a kid, having medical problems and from a low-income family, I knew the stress and heartache it put on my family not to be able to care for me … I feel so encouraged that this program has helped so many families like ours and so many people like myself.”

Ms. Coles communicated similar sentiments in an interview with the Post-Gazette, recalling the hardship of trying to decide between helping her son or paying the mortgage.

“It's a horrible feeling that you are not doing everything you can to help your child and keep them in good health,” she said. “It's absolutely the most devastating feeling in the world.”

The federal Public Health Emergency declared by then-President Donald Trump on Jan. 31, 2020, allowed for continuous enrollment throughout the pandemic, so that Medicaid recipients remained eligible for the free insurance regardless of status. Continuous enrollment ended on March 31, meaning that recipients will be required once again to file annually, based upon individualized renewal dates.

About 8.2 million people across the U.S. will lose their Medicaid coverage, per an estimate by the Department of Health and Human Services.

Those eligible for CHIP can apply in a multitude of ways, listed on the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services’ website.

“With the end of the emergency declarations, we’re going to have families looking for coverage now,” said Highmark spokesman David Golebiewski. “CHIP is still here for them.”

Too bad about the adults who are getting thrown off Medicaid though, get to fuckin' work

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

There should be a required work program starting freshmen year of high school where kids are required to work 8-16 hours a week doing community services like community gardens, community kitchen, litter pickup, park upkeep, old person visitation. The jobs would rotate yearly until graduation. Not in the current usa of course.

Thanks.

sounds like the Jobs Guarantee proposals that MMTers were throwing around four years ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

There should be a required work program starting freshmen year of high school where kids are required to work 8-16 hours a week doing community services like community gardens, community kitchen, litter pickup, park upkeep, old person visitation. The jobs would rotate yearly until graduation

Thanks.

sorry newt gingrich suggested something too similar to this once so it makes you a chud to suggest it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1663866706664513536?s=20

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i invested in copper. THIS loving SUCKS!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Required work program for anyone that wants to watch cable news or use social media.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, I can't read. Copper is great too I guess.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Narrator: that lead to record profits

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sweet relief

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

Required work program for anyone that wants to watch cable news or use social media.

i think everyone should get paid a salary of $150k/year and every post you make subtracts $1k

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
here's a new one I hadn't heard before:

countries are lying about their GDP growth because their lights at night are too dim to match up with their claims, as observed by a satellite

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao goddamn we are such a dumb society

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

countries are lying about their GDP growth because their lights at night are too dim to match up with their claims, as observed by a satellite

Lmao.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Koirhor posted:

sweet relief

Now that commodity prices are falling, I can’t wait for unregulated monopolies to pass those savings on to consumers.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sorry newt gingrich suggested something too similar to this once so it makes you a chud to suggest it

Newt Gingrich: ally of the proletariat

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Freedom Status in 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Newt Gingrich: ally of the proletariat

leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Youth unemployment will gently caress over China once the US pushes through child labor reform and attracts a massive pool of new workers

Apr 7, 2003

Waving my Freedom-o-Meter over India like a tricorder and interpreting the beeps

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

This chart is real good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Antonymous posted:

the original had the same meaning, coulda just said it

Can't expect an American audience to understand German.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's uh not good news when copper crashes

at least not if you like workers staying employed, and not being in a recession

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

it's uh not good news when copper crashes

at least not if you like workers staying employed, and not being in a recession

It needs to go up so that the "COPPER" stock I bought goes up

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

quote:

bringing long-awaited relief for consumers

Incredibly naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Who in tech even has 4 hours a day of productive work to do? There's sprint planning, stand-ups, splint reviews, knowledge sharing, estimating, agile-enablement, and backlog grooming to do.