Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you invested in copper?

ea-nasir-eous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
just workshopping here

hell of a snipe tho

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

I'm convinced these models are going to be everywhere pretty soon, but the prompts aren't going to be how anyone uses them. Between the cost and the risk, it's not really worth it, and currently just enables lazy and inattentive behavior

Bespoke models that you only access through API calls is the future of this technology. Lower overhead and purpose limited inputs/outputs are the only thing that can make LLMs practically useful in a business environment imo

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

There should be a required work program starting freshmen year of high school where kids are required to work 8-16 hours a week doing community services like community gardens, community kitchen, litter pickup, park upkeep, old person visitation. The jobs would rotate yearly until graduation. Not in the current usa of course.

Thanks.

I mean this is kinda a great idea

Kids gotta get comfortable doing work but nobody should profit off child labor. Community service seems like a good compromise

It would probably also be more useful than a lot of bullshit electives in HS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The lovely rural high school I went to had credits for X number of volunteer hours

also had mandatory classes in personal finance, home economics, cooking, and wood or metal shop

guess it wasn't as lovely as I thought at the time

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
In high school, I took a bunch of college classes because i was told then i would be able to do whatever i wanted in college. then I got to college and had no idea what I wanted to do because the only things I had ever tried were 101 level college math and science classes lol

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The lovely rural high school I went to had credits for X number of volunteer hours

also had mandatory classes in personal finance, home economics, cooking, and wood or metal shop

guess it wasn't as lovely as I thought at the time

I think high school should be the cutoff point on history/science/math as mandatory classes, most of this poo poo is retread and eats up half the day that could be spent on vocational/career training

Like, lots of schools offered or still offer those electives but the fact that you had to balance them against four hours of mandatory retread AND against "fun" classes meant lots of people skipped the stuff that would teach them how to work with tools or balance their personal finances

Also you shouldn't be able to take English classes in high school at all. They shouldn't just not be mandatory, they should not be available. At this point you should be diving into literature or writing, we wasted so much loving time learning insane minutae about grammar. If you want to take a language course in high school it shouldn't be your native tongue.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

In high school, I took a bunch of college classes because i was told then i would be able to do whatever i wanted in college. then I got to college and had no idea what I wanted to do because the only things I had ever tried were 101 level college math and science classes lol

Yeah HS made no real effort to prepare us for specialization when specialization defines the modern economy. Generalist knowledge will only get you so far and being "well rounded" is deeply overrated

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:38 on May 31, 2023

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

I'm convinced these models are going to be everywhere pretty soon, but the prompts aren't going to be how anyone uses them. Between the cost and the risk, it's not really worth it, and currently just enables lazy and inattentive behavior

Bespoke models that you only access through API calls is the future of this technology. Lower overhead and purpose limited inputs/outputs are the only thing that can make LLMs practically useful in a business environment imo

they’ll still be wrong constantly which can’t be fixed so they still will have 0 actual purpose, just like blockchain and NFTs

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

here's a new one I hadn't heard before:

countries are lying about their GDP growth because their lights at night are too dim to match up with their claims, as observed by a satellite

lmao

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think every henry and rich kid should have five years of highschool with the fifth year spent working full time in the service industry

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Maed posted:

they’ll still be wrong constantly which can’t be fixed so they still will have 0 actual purpose, just like blockchain and NFTs

If you limit the data it's working with and limit the queries it can receive (by canning prompts behind API calls) you can do a lot with this technology when it comes to working with large data sets. The usefulness of the models is already apparent.

Example: you could build the data set of a llm on public permit databases, and then use that model to find all the people in your city who haven't replaced their roof in X years. Then you can know who to target to market a new roof to.

The model can lie to you, but generally does so because the input the user gave it wasn't compatible with the dataset. Controlling both the input and the dataset can likely minimize or eliminate this risk.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Maed posted:

The thing is, many companies have business models that don't mind being wrong. Business software is already written in a "happy path first we'll fix problems later" mindset.

I can't imagine an insurance company going "oh no, we accidentally rejected a claim we should have accepted"

You really need to put yourself in the mind of a capitalist. The first question is "what's the risk of losing a lot of money?" and the second question is "how many people can I fire"

"Does this actually work?" is so far down the list you can't even see it.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mustached Demon posted:

I think every henry and rich kid should have five years of highschool with the fifth year spent working full time in the service industry

Taco Bells can be our re-education camps

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I think high school should be the cutoff point on history/science/math as mandatory classes, most of this poo poo is retread and eats up half the day that could be spent on vocational/career training

Like, lots of schools offered or still offer those electives but the fact that you had to balance them against four hours of mandatory retread AND against "fun" classes meant lots of people skipped the stuff that would teach them how to work with tools or balance their personal finances

Also you shouldn't be able to take English classes in high school at all. They shouldn't just not be mandatory, they should not be available. At this point you should be diving into literature or writing, we wasted so much loving time learning insane minutae about grammar. If you want to take a language course in high school it shouldn't be your native tongue.

Yeah HS made no real effort to prepare us for specialization when specialization defines the modern economy. Generalist knowledge will only get you so far and being "well rounded" is deeply overrated

the entirety of high school should be basic algebra, a second language from the choices of spanish or mandarin, and then classes on everyday finances, legal rights, and how capitalism and the government are going to repeatedly gently caress you for the rest of your life

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

If you limit the data it's working with and limit the queries it can receive (by canning prompts behind API calls) you can do a lot with this technology when it comes to working with large data sets. The usefulness of the models is already apparent.

Example: you could build the data set of a llm on public permit databases, and then use that model to find all the people in your city who haven't replaced their roof in X years. Then you can know who to target to market a new roof to.

The model can lie to you, but generally does so because the input the user gave it wasn't compatible with the dataset. Controlling both the input and the dataset can likely minimize or eliminate this risk.

that example can be done with a sql query why would you ever spend that much time and money on an llm? it’s a scam like all the rest

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

teaching history is a complete waste of time because we've clearly learned over the last century in particular that modern american society on the whole has never taken anything of value away from it and we're doomed to repeat ourselves until the collapse of civilization

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

ikanreed posted:

The thing is, many companies have business models that don't mind being wrong. Business software is already written in a "happy path first we'll fix problems later" mindset.

I can't imagine an insurance company going "oh no, we accidentally rejected a claim we should have accepted"

You really need to put yourself in the mind of a capitalist. The first question is "what's the risk of losing a lot of money?" and the second question is "how many people can I fire"

"Does this actually work?" is so far down the list you can't even see it.

they already use boring old machine learning for this which actually has applications, no reason to use a llm

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

the entirety of high school should be basic algebra, a second language from the choices of spanish or mandarin, and then classes on everyday finances, legal rights, and how capitalism and the government are going to repeatedly gently caress you for the rest of your life

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The reason you re-learn history in 4 year cycles is because the first 4 is for the clean kid version, the second 4 is for the PG version, and the last 4 is for the PG-13 version. you have to go to college and take an interest in history to learn the R-rated version

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

Everyone in high school should be required to operate at least one kind of tool a day

A drill, a table saw, a lathe, whatever

The most useful class I took in high school was a class that bridged software and engineering, it was all cnc lathes and milling machines and microcontrollers and electronics and did more to prepare me for working than all the other classes I took in high school combined

A great deal of high school graduates lack the expertise to hang a picture frame. It's hosed up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Biggest miss since the covid lockdowns

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1663904474430156804

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Maed posted:

that example can be done with a sql query why would you ever spend that much time and money on an llm? it’s a scam like all the rest

Because the LLM can just be fed the data and do the work of a team of DBAs you'd have to pay 60-100k/yr

The technology is going to be mainly used to reduce headcounts in depts like accounting and database administration that were already shrinking prior to this technology appearing. LLMs are the natural progression of this kind of automation. It's just doing to databases what databases did to spreadsheets, and what spreadsheets did to ledgers.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:54 on May 31, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you all are expecting way too much from schools.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe if we had a different set up with more focus on specialized schools and transportation of the diverse student body, but we don’t. we have (mostly) one-size-fits-all school districts with general curriculums

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Because the LLM can just be fed the data and do the work of a team of DBAs you'd have to pay 60-100k/yr

you might wanna look into how much llms cost

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

y'all talking a lot about things that cost money better spent on a football program

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

maybe if we had a different set up with more focus on specialized schools and transportation of the diverse student body, but we don’t. we have (mostly) one-size-fits-all school districts with general curriculums

oh well in that case we'll keep our bullshit wishcasting set within those parameters thanks

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Your high school English classes weren't just writing essays about literature? That's weird.

Kids gotta get comfortable doing work but nobody should profit off child labor. Community service seems like a good compromise

My school had a community service requirement. One option instead of actual community service was to go to the local police department a few times where they would just like... talk at the group. This amounted to like 6 hours in total instead of 20 or whatever the other places did, so naturally I picked it. I remember one day they set up tables with long guns and confiscated drugs and stuff to show off. It's pretty funny to think about in hindsight.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Maed posted:

you might wanna look into how much llms cost

They cost a lot to operate at scale against large prompts

You can run your own model for comparatively little on hardware that would easily be available to any medium sized business (or on available cloud compute cycles that you probably already have free anyway)

Chatgpt is expensive. A bespoke personal model is as expensive as you need it to be.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

What have school kids ever done for me?

We use their hands to clean out the inside of the f-35 engines!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Okuteru posted:

https://twitter.com/LiYuan6/status/1663688757235548162?s=20

LOL, chairman Xi with a very Boomer response.

"I was banished to the farms because of my dad and look at me now!"

Can't wait for libs in this country to tut tut over these remarks while cheering neoliberals who say the same thing here.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

euphronius posted:

that's where charter schools step in

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Chad Sexington posted:

Your high school English classes weren't just writing essays about literature? That's weird.

We did some surface level analysis of some literature, but about half the time was spent on retreading general concepts, and essay writing is not a replacement for creative or persuasive writing. My complaint with HS English is that it's a generalist course trying to do everything when we already have 8 years of generalist English knowledge under our belts. At that point it should be writing or literature, not a weird split focus. I found English distracting as hell because I was very focused on writing and well part high school lit; if id had a choice, I'd have skipped re-reading the scarlet letter for the Nth time

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The ISM numbers will be a downward miss. We have conflicting data points at the moment.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The primary focus would be on helping to build a sense of community and empathy towards others.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

You need a foundation of knowledge to specialize at all and HS is supposed to deliver that. I am assuming you don't have the background in education to understand why those suggestions are bad.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

There should be a required work program starting freshmen year of high school where kids are required to work 8-16 hours a week doing community services like community gardens, community kitchen, litter pickup, park upkeep, old person visitation. The jobs would rotate yearly until graduation. Not in the current usa of course.

Thanks.
BREAKING: Study overwhelmingly indicates that having each class do a rotation of highway litter pick-up reduces the number of school shooting fatalities by reducing class size through traffic related fatalities.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

shoulda just taken the AP or honors classes if you were one of these tryhard kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
There are a lot of states where picking up litter by the road is the court-assigned community service for misdemeanors, I think we really want to avoid making school look even more like the criminal justice system.