Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The americans wasted time trying to keep their tank engines from overheating and exploding with increasingly elaborate cooling solutions.

The russians simply replaced the entire tank when it exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rust Martialis posted:

We can mock Reade for this latest move, but she still made credible accusations about sexual assault against Biden before she picked up her new friends. Considering they're probably the only people who treat her nicely compared to the poo poo thrown at her by the Democrats.

She just pissed away her credibility in America. It really does cast her accusations in a new light.She had supporters in the USA! Why did she go to Russia?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rust Martialis posted:

We can mock Reade for this latest move, but she still made credible accusations about sexual assault against Biden before she picked up her new friends. Considering they're probably the only people who treat her nicely compared to the poo poo thrown at her by the Democrats.

Just uncomfortable with anyone saying this clearly means she must have been lying about Biden. It seems a few of the left fringe go down this path (Greenwald, for example) but they didn't start there.

Sorry if this comes across poorly, just I believed her about Biden enough to think her claims clearly didn't get the proper investigation, so while she's ended up here, I still think the system squashed her for complaining about him.

Ed: not saying OP did this, just a general comment on Reade

Lord knows I don't put it past Biden to do something like that, especially when he didn't give a poo poo about Thomas' allegations in the same general timeframe, and I'm not going to definitively say she's lying, but if she's got a documented history of being a con artist and was working with a foreign propaganda group before she made a single allegation, that's something that should be considered. A bigger investigation should have happened, but it might have just exonerated him, which might be why the same crazies in the house willing to go after Hunter and other non-scandals didn't actually investigate it despite it being a slam dunk for them if it was true.

I think the best thing that could have happened is for the sealed records that would have held an accusation to have been unsealed, because that would definitively answer whether the initial complaint was made at the time or not, but I guess Biden can't unilaterally request to unseal them?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
We get it, everyone's extremely Believing Women :jerkbag:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My Spirit Otter posted:

tanks blow engines like crazy to the point where units going to the field take a bunch of spares with them and from what ive been told by tanker buddies, its a fairly quick process.

Well, it can be. The United States literally pioneered the field during World War II, where they designed the Sherman to be built from individual modules which were precision engineered to such a degree that you could take a Sherman built in Detroit, pull out the transmission, install a transmission that was built in Atlanta, and then slap in a new engine built in some completely other factory, all in the space of a couple of hours. This was NOT the standard in World War II.

German tanks were notoriously over-engineered to the point where doing even basic repairs required taking half the tank apart and took ages. Soviet tanks had such bad quality control that we could make a case for T-34-85 tanks built in factory A being different vehicles than the ones built in factory B. You couldn't mix parts from one in the other, because the tolerances were so wide and occasionally they just used completely different types of parts, because one factory didn't have access to something the other factory did.

After the war everyone basically sat up and took notice, and realized that while the Sherman wasn't the best tank in any kind of Top Trumps way, it was the best tank in that it was easy to mass produce, and very easy to repair and maintain in the field. NATO-adjacent countries have basically designed their tanks since World War II with the same principles in mind, and you can just basically pull the entire engine out of most modern tanks quite simply and just plug in a replacement, and the same for many other components.

In theory it's supposed to work like this for many Soviet / Russian tanks as well, but in practise... well, any Finnish conscript who had to do maintenance on a BMP or T-72 will tell you that it's not always quite that simple and a lot of very basic maintenance has to be done in incredibly awkward and dumb ways.

E: and of course it should go without saying that unless you have access to literal deserts, you don't want to leave your tanks out in some loving field for 20 years, even if you take out the radiators and engines. They will rust to poo poo, and you'll have a hell of a time trying to open any hatches or get the tracks and wheels going again. And if your tank isn't water proof, moisture will also get inside and do a number there. And as any Finnish tanker can tell you, Soviet/Russian tanks are extremely not waterproof.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 31, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Soviet tanks had such bad quality control that we could make a case for T-34-85 tanks built in factory A being different vehicles than the ones built in factory B.

E: and of course it should go without saying that unless you have access to literal deserts

Lazerpig's T-34 video bangs hard on the "the build quality was poo poo!, T034s that made it to the frontline sucked for build quality!" It's a good video, plus or minus your tolerance for his gimmick.

Fun fact about parking stuff in an actual desert. The American airplane boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFBB in Tucson is in a monsoon region. For at least two months every summer it gets 2+ inches of rain every day. Every summer local news has to devote substantial time to "how not to die in a flash flood" and "you will encounter a flash flood, will you survivive?"

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

mllaneza posted:

Lazerpig's T-34 video bangs hard on the "the build quality was poo poo!, T034s that made it to the frontline sucked for build quality!" It's a good video, plus or minus your tolerance for his gimmick.

Fun fact about parking stuff in an actual desert. The American airplane boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFBB in Tucson is in a monsoon region. For at least two months every summer it gets 2+ inches of rain every day. Every summer local news has to devote substantial time to "how not to die in a flash flood" and "you will encounter a flash flood, will you survivive?"

tuscon barely receives 2 inches of rain on average through its wettest entire month, they don't get 2+ inches of rain every day

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

After the war everyone basically sat up and took notice, and realized that while the Sherman wasn't the best tank in any kind of Top Trumps way, it was the best tank in that it was easy to mass produce, and very easy to repair and maintain in the field. NATO-adjacent countries have basically designed their tanks since World War II with the same principles in mind, and you can just basically pull the entire engine out of most modern tanks quite simply and just plug in a replacement, and the same for many other components.

When did the British tanks start doing this? I recall a lot of stories of the British having the best tanks in Europe...so long as it broke down in a good firing position.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

tuscon barely receives 2 inches of rain on average through its wettest entire month, they don't get 2+ inches of rain every day

also wouldn't the bigger danger be ambient humidity than water per se?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NoiseAnnoys posted:

also wouldn't the bigger danger be ambient humidity than water per se?

The tanks Russia keeps in "rapid readiness" storage have dehumidified air with some other anti-corrosion additives constantly pumped into them to maintain a positive pressure inside the tank and keep them in relatively good condition.

That would stop a lot of the issues with long term storage, but probably not things like components being stripped and sold on the black market.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Comstar posted:

When did the British tanks start doing this? I recall a lot of stories of the British having the best tanks in Europe...so long as it broke down in a good firing position.

Good question. I'm not a British tank expert, but I'd say with the Challenger. I think the Chieftain's engine was comparatively easy to replace, but not as easy as the "power pack" type engines found on Challengers, Leopards and Abramses.

And of course it has to be stressed that the ease of replacement does not have anything to do with the performance or durability of an engine.The Chieftain notoriously had an underpowered and troublesome engine, so that might be what you've heard of as well, even though the tank was excellent otherwise for its day.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Joke Miriam posted:

What are these people going to do for money in Russia? You can only put them on the news talk show circuit so long.

sell their organs

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

What are these people going to do for money in Russia? You can only put them on the news talk show circuit so long.

Same thing snowden does. Work at a troll farm.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe they can do like American defectors in North Korea and act as American villains in state propaganda.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That giant pile of tanks are a no longer working giant pile tanks because they got stripped for parts and left to rot in a field. Exactly like there is thousands of cars at a junk yard but none of them are in anythign close to working condition and been stripped for parts

I'm the same way I own two "cars" with blown engines. I can't drive without borrowing a car, but I sure do own two cars.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

I wonder what Snowden and Christopher Emms are doing during this war.
Both sought asylum in Russia, both for different reasons.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

FirstnameLastname posted:

they wouldn't have the turrets on with the seals on the recoil tubing and stuff, i'm pretty sure they're in storage

lol why the gently caress wouldnt they?? just because theres something wrong with the tank that renders it unfit for purpose, doesnt mean they'd let the rest of it go to poo poo. still lots of goodies in those tanks they can use to fix other tanks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Oh right, climate change.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Valar Morghulis posted:

I wonder what Snowden and Christopher Emms are doing during this war.
Both sought asylum in Russia, both for different reasons.

Didn't Putin offer Snowden citizenship at like the start of the invasion?

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Didn't Putin offer Snowden citizenship at like the start of the invasion?

Not on the start, he got citizenship close to the end of 2022 I think. Probably to keep him out of any "hostage" exchange talks.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1663550716236173319
So I'm at best ambivalent towards the attacks on Moscow but its a bit noticeable to me that people like Glen don't ever seem to have any opinion at all about the endless amount of airstrikes carried out by Russians on Ukraine but will say that these attacks that to my knowledge have not actually killed anyone as of now are a dangerous escalation on the way to world war?

The Ukrainians have denied responsibility haven't they? I can't make much sense of the potential positions here, if Ukraine actually is doing it, it would be weird to me that they aren't trumpeting it to their own population as some kind of revenge, but if its some kind of Russian false flag, its weird that they only started doing it now and that they would make it seem like they can't even defend their capital 500 kilometres away from the Ukrainian border.

because they don't give a gently caress about ukraine or ukrainians. fucks like glenn love russia because they hate the US and US bad= russia good. its like reverse american exceptionalism. so instead of "yeah imperialims is bad when anyone does it and maybe doing soft power is better then doing invasions and coups" its "hurr america is the only one who does anything bad ever".

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1492223626585808903?lang=de

Snowden tweeted this shortly before the full-scale invasion, then had the self-awareness to mostly shut up for a while. I vaguely remember him having the occasional bad take since, but nothing on the level of posing with Z signs or talking about the "Kiev regime".

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Snowden has to be very careful what he says because one bad word and he's drinking spicy tea

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Joke Miriam posted:

US elections are coming up, Reade is still useful to Russia unless Biden doesn't seek reelection.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

fatherboxx posted:

Not on the start, he got citizenship close to the end of 2022 I think. Probably to keep him out of any "hostage" exchange talks.

so they can conscript him

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Well, it can be. The United States literally pioneered the field during World War II, where they designed the Sherman to be built from individual modules which were precision engineered to such a degree that you could take a Sherman built in Detroit, pull out the transmission, install a transmission that was built in Atlanta, and then slap in a new engine built in some completely other factory, all in the space of a couple of hours. This was NOT the standard in World War II.
Now THAT is some top-tier username/post synergy.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Its genuinely insane how loudly and correctly the US gov called this war before it kicked off. To idiots like Snowden and Greenwald that was all "saber-rattling" and not, y'know, warning a victim that an attack on them was imminent.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Worst Country You Know Just Made A Great Point

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bronze Fonz posted:

US elections are coming up, Reade is still useful to Russia unless Biden doesn't seek reelection.

How is she going to be useful from russia? She could of course scream about how Hunter Biden was going to kill her with his illegal guns but it's pretty easy to dismiss it as Kremlin propaganda considering, you know.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scam Likely posted:

Its genuinely insane how loudly and correctly the US gov called this war before it kicked off. To idiots like Snowden and Greenwald that was all "saber-rattling" and not, y'know, warning a victim that an attack on them was imminent.

The fact that i went to sleep on Feb 24 thinking I'd wake up to Ukraine all but defeated and the government ousted is... Not exactly a lol, but it's something

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

How is she going to be useful from russia? She could of course scream about how Hunter Biden was going to kill her with his illegal guns but it's pretty easy to dismiss it as Kremlin propaganda considering, you know.

i mean, being 7 hours behind your boss' time zone is really terrible, all those 3 a.m. meetings

the other hand
Dec 14, 2003

43rd Heavy Artillery Brigade
"Ultima Ratio Liberalium"
I came across this video today and found it super interesting - thought others might too.

It’s an interview with retired General Ben Hodges, who’s had a lot of interesting things to say about the Ukraine war since it started. It covers a lot of ground, but of particular note is that he’s extremely optimistic about what Ukraine might accomplish with a counteroffensive this year. He makes sure to stress that poo poo is very uncertain, but thinks that taking Crimea is a real possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcRKBMQkCIw

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Scam Likely posted:

I still find it amusing how many people in previous iterations of this thread were adamant that I (and a few others ITT) was wrong and no invasion could possibly happen because people even here got so decorum pilled they couldn't imagine those 200k troops actually being used for something other than standing around with their thumbs up their asses. Invasion buildup is very easy to spot if you know what you're looking for and it was very obvious it wasn't a bluff as late as Thanksgiving 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HonorableTB posted:

I still find it amusing how many people in previous iterations of this thread were adamant that I (and a few others ITT) was wrong and no invasion could possibly happen because people even here got so decorum pilled they couldn't imagine those 200k troops actually being used for something other than standing around with their thumbs up their asses. Invasion buildup is very easy to spot if you know what you're looking for and it was very obvious it wasn't a bluff as late as Thanksgiving 2021

I mean, Russia was known for trolling using their military, but this is the third loving time in a decade they've invaded Ukraine.

Believing it wasn't even a possibility was just stupid.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It's weird how much of a footnote the Afghanistan Withdrawal wound up being. I figured that would have been a foundational trauma for a whole new generation of CHUDs like the Vietnam Mythos, but it never gets brought up except when a Republican says they would have reinvaded. Russia actually starting a conventional European War really shattered reality for a lot of people.

I remember Greenwald and Tucker trying to figure out who really controls Biden since the withdrawal "shouldn't" have been possible if he was controlled by the Deep State.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

mllaneza posted:

Oh right, climate change.

Yes, Tuscon was well known for having rainforest levels of rain before we hosed up the climate. Bravo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Deki posted:

I mean, Russia was known for trolling using their military, but this is the third loving time in a decade they've invaded Ukraine.

Believing it wasn't even a possibility was just stupid.

I was on the blufftrain myself once Russia demobilized part of their invasion force in spring/summer 2021 and sent part of the troops back to their bases, because that matched previous Russian trolling behavior. I got back on the invasion train for good once those troops got sent back to the staging grounds in fall of 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

These people want so badly to be able to look at Russia and espouse the success of authoritarian government. Tucker was all ready to go hard on "look if we got rid of voting we would be as sucessful in Putin I mean look at the territory he just gained!!!!"

Literally the arsenal of democracy superseded fascism and they are still angry about it. Like internally enraged that Russia is being clapped while being a fascist hellscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

It's weird how much of a footnote the Afghanistan Withdrawal wound up being. I figured that would have been a foundational trauma for a whole new generation of CHUDs like the Vietnam Mythos, but it never gets brought up except when a Republican says they would have reinvaded. Russia actually starting a conventional European War really shattered reality for a lot of people.

I remember Greenwald and Tucker trying to figure out who really controls Biden since the withdrawal "shouldn't" have been possible if he was controlled by the Deep State.

It's really remarkable just how much the whole war on terror thing just sort of ran out of steam. As far as I can tell, everyone involved sort of got bored and frustrated with the whole thing and have gone into a holding pattern.