Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, he was leaving anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I think if Vegas is out looking for revenge on Jamie Benn that would be about the biggest mistake they could ever make lol

they just need to get back to playing the boring counter attacking style that is their preference..

If you think the VGK counterattacking style is boring you are going to looove these finals.

Surely someone has to possess the puck though?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, he was leaving anyway.

On a jet plane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

O/U on amount of games it takes Sam Bennett to reverse that surgery.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Starsfan posted:

I think if Vegas is out looking for revenge on Jamie Benn that would be about the biggest mistake they could ever make lol

they just need to get back to playing the boring counter attacking style that is their preference.. These last couple games without Benn and Dadonov the Stars have ironically been able to generate waaaaay more chances than they were in the first 3 games in the series. They are chewing the Vegas defense up in transition. Vegas needs to get back to the way they were playing in games 1 and 2 (basically just try to squeeze all the life out of the game and hope for bounces / Adin Hill being better than Jake Oettinger).

I guess the focus ended up being on kicking the ever living poo poo out of their opponent.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The gently caress, this doesn't start til Saturday?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

I kind of like the break. The playoffs are already a grind, I think the teams that make the finals deserve a few day break to rest up

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also, as someone works in the live events industry, a lot of it is arena scheduling. It's not necessarily the NHL being dumb. Those things get booked up months, sometimes years, in advance. I'm sure the Panthers and Knights are priority tenants and had certain dates tentatively reserved in case they made it this far, but sometimes it's more complicated than that.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 30, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vegas needs more time to book Imagine Dragons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diet Crack posted:

How long will Florida have had off by then?

NBA finals start Thursday lmao

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 30, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How long will Florida have had off by then?

NBA finals start Thursday lmao

10 days I think? They should either be ripping to go, or it'll look like their preseason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Vegas needs more time to book Imagine Dragons.

That makes way more money than hockey.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
forget whether Bob is a HoF goalie if he wins the cup
do we need to start talking about if Paul Maurice deserves to be in if he wins?
my article,...

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
The narratives of frauds needs to remain intact!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That's right, you don't put the losingest coach of all time into the HOF.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Panthers are doing an arena watch party Saturday. Mind-blowing they can sell tickets to a game that isn’t even being played here. When I started going to their games they were handing out ticket vouchers at nearby restaurants.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

There's a gap between the Conference Finals and Cup Finals like this every year, the NHL uses it to hold it's media day. It was 6 days in 2019 and 4 last year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

That's right, you don't put the losingest coach of all time into the HOF.

“He’s not just famous…he’s IN-famous!!!”

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Brain Curry posted:

Panthers are doing an arena watch party Saturday. Mind-blowing they can sell tickets to a game that isn’t even being played here. When I started going to their games they were handing out ticket vouchers at nearby restaurants.

Seattle did this but it was free (GA) and the beer was half off...

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
My mom once got a beer, a hot dog, and a ticket to a Kings @ Coyotes conference final game for 20 bucks.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The Kings setup yesterday if it wasnt fake looked pretty sick, pool side in lounge chairs with the game & stats projected on the side of a building

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

I moved to Nashville in 2008 in the midst of them potentially getting sold and it’s crazy how I used to be able to park downtown for free and go to a game for $10.

Grants, the city also blew up since then (def no more free parking), but yeah the turnaround can happen.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Seattle did this but it was free (GA) and the beer was half off...

Tix are $10 (edit: benefiting their charity), parking is free, and food and beverages are discounted but it doesn’t say how much.

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 31, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sergei Bobrovsky and Adin Hill will battle for the Stanley Cup, just as everyone predicted

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Brain Curry posted:

Tix are $10 (edit: benefiting their charity), parking is free, and food and beverages are discounted but it doesn’t say how much.

Yeah we’ve been wondering the same about the food/drink costs. During the season I tend to get the big cans of Juice Force, they’re $14 with season ticket discount but like 20 oz and 9.5% so feels like the best value somehow.

Total Wine selling them for $6 for 6z 12oz so they’re coming with me in the cooler next week.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lol Marc and Eric Staal

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When I see Tkachuk’s performance in these playoffs, I think to myself ‘yep, that’s a guy playing 1.5 below projection alright’.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Tkachuk’s got the highest offensive rating and net rating on either team, it’s not like Dom’s tables are saying he’s bad. That model just way, way over-projects the impact of star players to begin with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to work as an analyst, and after years of seeing these number charts being posted all over the place I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re just pretty charts that don’t really tell you anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol Marc and Eric Staal

I know its not meant to work that way (who actually knows how its supposed to work though???) but Dom's totals equal to +59 for the Panthers and +44 for the Knights, but the Knights are favorites.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I used to work as an analyst, and after years of seeing these number charts being posted all over the place I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re just pretty charts that don’t really tell you anything.

Oh absolutely, that particular one is awful because what’s it even for? What confidence or basis do we have for those projections, and what does it matter that someone is over or under performing their made-up numbers to begin with?

Worth a reminder again that Dom is a journalism major with no real training in statistics or mathematics. That’s not to say his numbers are wrong, but rather that the stuff he makes often lacks uh… intentionality or purpose.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol Marc and Eric Staal

Florida with the 4 game sweep, got it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I predicted Florida because of the way Bob looks and they have a team of destiny feel about them (moreso than Vegas imo) and I feel like those destiny teams often win.

Or maybe Bob comes hurtling back to earth and Vegas wins in like five or six.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Exactly which 'destiny teams' have won the Cup? I'm not sure what you even mean by that. The 2012 Kings? Yes they were 8th in the West but they were also the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs (and the best team if you believed the fancystats). 2016 Penguins? See 2012 Kings. I don't even know who else you'd even be thinking of tbh.

If 'destiny team' means a mediocre team with good health and a scorching hot goalie, those teams have always lost in the Finals. Doesn't mean the Panthers have to lose, but if they win, they'll be the first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

2006 Canes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Oh absolutely, that particular one is awful because what’s it even for? What confidence or basis do we have for those projections, and what does it matter that someone is over or under performing their made-up numbers to begin with?

Worth a reminder again that Dom is a journalism major with no real training in statistics or mathematics. That’s not to say his numbers are wrong, but rather that the stuff he makes often lacks uh… intentionality or purpose.

God drat he's a journalism major???? his stuff is so not well written!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Exactly which 'destiny teams' have won the Cup? I'm not sure what you even mean by that. The 2012 Kings? Yes they were 8th in the West but they were also the hottest team in the league going into the playoffs (and the best team if you believed the fancystats). 2016 Penguins? See 2012 Kings. I don't even know who else you'd even be thinking of tbh.

If 'destiny team' means a mediocre team with good health and a scorching hot goalie, those teams have always lost in the Finals. Doesn't mean the Panthers have to lose, but if they win, they'll be the first.

Teams with that those bullshit magic vibes but who also have good underlying numbers. 2012 Kings and 2016 Pens definitely fit that bill. 2018 Caps. 2009 Pens.

The Habs recent finals run I think doesn't fit that bill because they were never actually all that great, they just snuck into the finals. This Panthers team has been pretty good analytically all year, so despite the poor record I think they're actually legit. I guess you could argue some of those teams that lost also had vibes but the 2016 Sharks were kinda past their prime at that point.

The 2017 Preds maybe fit that bill. Strong analytic team that didn't finish with a great record but then went on a run in the playoffs. Pens vibed their way by them though with ridiculous pdo that playoffs.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aye Doc posted:

God drat he's a journalism major???? his stuff is so not well written!

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

112 points! It's easy to forget because the franchise has been so relentlessly bland and/or bad the rest of its 25 year history but the 2006 Canes were dominant.