Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Oh, I've read all the pdfs years ago, I'm just at a point now where collecting physical books seems fun. I pretty much checked out of Shadowrun as a property at the dawn of 4th ed, and at this point I don't think I'm that interested in whatever the setting is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. I have a couple pdfs that I'd like to convert to dead tree format, specifically three that are all in the 300-400 page ballpark. I'm aware that Lulu offers print-on-demand but is kinda expensive, and DriveThruRPG does print-on-demand but afaik it's only for books on their site (which these aren't). So I'm wondering if there are any other sites that offer similar services without breaking the bank.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I had a few that I did that with, I printed what I could myself and got them spiral bound at Kinko's (now owned by Fedex I think). Plastic front and back (front was transparent). It's the dirt simple route, since you don't get a readable spine out of it, but it was easy and I prefer spiral bound books.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Kinkos would print anything no questions asked, but FedEx has stricter controls, at least around here: I've had them outright refuse to print stuff that I made unless I could show them the .PSDs and .INDDs. That said, a local independent print shop can be viable for that sort of thing, too. There's usually one somewhere around, and they tend to want your business enough to not care about copyright. And honestly, finding a good local print shop is useful for tabletop gamers of all sorts, so it's worth checking your area and asking about their pricing.

EightFlyingCars posted:

you hosed with the ducks, didn't you

Oh hell no, I have enough Glorantha lore to know that ducks are,

1) The Best
2) Fellow Orlanthi, albeit weird ones

Glazius posted:

Doesn't your clan ring always highlight the options they want to take when you hover the members? I think if an option never gets highlighted by anybody except maybe for Eurmali, that's at least a hint it's a bad idea.

They highlight the option they want you to take, but it isn't necessarily a smart option even if they have Renowned or Heroic in the skill, or even one that makes sense for the culture you're ostensibly being immersed in. Even non-Eurmali ring members will happily tell you to do things that are Terrible Ideas with no up-side. Quite a few of the options are written as traps for people who are experiencing Glorantha for the first time through KoDP alone, presenting options that seem reasonable to us, but which are wildly out of character for Orlanthi (and tend to get punished appropriately). It's also, as folks have mentioned, crammed full of hidden rolls and mechanics that make information your people have access to in the fiction totally obscure to you as a player. Deeply frustrating stuff, because I'm down with the idea of full immersion, but you need to give me access to the tools I would have if I were immersed in the culture.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Six Ages is much better about that specifically. All the sort of gameplay “levers” are at least given labels and the game tells you how to use them.

But there still tons of trap options that are the game not-so-gently saying “lol germ theory of disease doesn’t work here lmao”. Don’t worry.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Twobirds posted:

I had a few that I did that with, I printed what I could myself and got them spiral bound at Kinko's (now owned by Fedex I think). Plastic front and back (front was transparent). It's the dirt simple route, since you don't get a readable spine out of it, but it was easy and I prefer spiral bound books.

The UPS store also offers this service. From a search It looks like Office Depot and Staples (and whatever other similar alternatives) provide this service too. They all look like similar spiral bound quality, I didn't see anything for fancier binding.

Kestral posted:

Kinkos would print anything no questions asked, but FedEx has stricter controls, at least around here: I've had them outright refuse to print stuff that I made unless I could show them the .PSDs and .INDDs. That said, a local independent print shop can be viable for that sort of thing, too. There's usually one somewhere around, and they tend to want your business enough to not care about copyright. And honestly, finding a good local print shop is useful for tabletop gamers of all sorts, so it's worth checking your area and asking about their pricing.

I think this is the reason a lot of more modern ttrpg books have explicit personal print permission listed.

Although, I do feel encouraged to look independent shops for this now.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Six Ages is much better about that specifically. All the sort of gameplay “levers” are at least given labels and the game tells you how to use them.

But there still tons of trap options that are the game not-so-gently saying “lol germ theory of disease doesn’t work here lmao”. Don’t worry.

Re: Six Ages

Regarding the gameplay "levers", the manual is actually pretty good about clarifying and explaining things. Here is an example.

Six Ages is fun. I like it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone play the newest edition of Chaosium Runequest? is it any good?

Thinking of picking it up just to read and see if I'm interested. never played anything in Glorantha before.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Aniodia posted:

Not sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. I have a couple pdfs that I'd like to convert to dead tree format, specifically three that are all in the 300-400 page ballpark. I'm aware that Lulu offers print-on-demand but is kinda expensive, and DriveThruRPG does print-on-demand but afaik it's only for books on their site (which these aren't). So I'm wondering if there are any other sites that offer similar services without breaking the bank.
Side question: what is Drivethru's PoD quality like? I put a retroclone up there, and people have asked about a PoD option. Is it just inkjet quality, or does it approach the level of a professional web offset print job?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Payndz posted:

Side question: what is Drivethru's PoD quality like? I put a retroclone up there, and people have asked about a PoD option. Is it just inkjet quality, or does it approach the level of a professional web offset print job?

there's two print options, premium and standard. premium is high quality paper stock and good quality printing. the standard isn't so good, but it's better than inkjet quality. it's done by actual printers, not just tossed off someone's home inkjet.

both rely a lot upon the quality of the file you give them for pod, but you (as in you the person selling the pod product) have to order an example copy first so you can get an idea of how it works. for a white and black retroclone it's probably more than fine. i have a fair number of DTRPG pod books and no real gripes about them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Thinking of picking it up just to read and see if I'm interested. never played anything in Glorantha before.

I played an intro adventure in it. It was interesting to try and combine your runes or whatever into challenging actions you wanted to take. Combat was not as cumbersome as I would have feared, but still seemed like it would have been better had I been more familiar with it, to be able to pre-plan what I'm doing through the turn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Payndz posted:

It also kind of depends on what kind of book you're trying to print. For black-and-white books, the quality is honestly pretty good. Part of finishing my old World of Darkness collection was deciding which books I was willing to accept print-on-demand copies of, and in terms of print quality, binding, etc., the stuff LightningSource turns out these days is better that whatever White Wolf was using thirty years ago to print paperbacks. (The full bleed issue was a thing for some lines, but that problem can be fixed these days; Paradox just doesn't have anybody assigned to deal with problems like that.) Hardbacks, on the other hand, are printed in the same paper as the paperbacks, so they're noticeably less good than the glossy paper the original hardback books used.

For color, well, the ceiling is a bit lower, but it still averages out at "pretty good." The paper quality, even at premium, can't hold ink as well as real glossy paper does, but it does okay, and it's particularly okay if you knew that when you made the book and chose your colors with those limitations in mind. It's definitely better than inkjet, and I probably make it sound worse than it is.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I ran 10 or so sessions and played 1. Very evocative setting, really enjoyable d100 system.

I loved Rune Magic but found it difficult to balance around players and npcs being able to go nuclear at the start of the round at the drop of a hat. If players can stay in character and love doing downtime/non adventure season stuff this would be less of an issue

I found the written adventures to suffer greatly from DM NPC issues, and a few were really fun stories but poorly designed for real world table experiences. Lots of 10 minute lore dumps.

There are also zero rules for Hero Questing, which is loving insane to me. It's like the single most important thing in the lore of Glorantha.

Overall it fit my need for a successor to Pendragon, even though the setting is very different. You'll just need to excise an NPC or two from written modules if you aren't running custom stuff

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Getting ready to run an Alien RPG one-shot tomorrow for my gaming group + my 18-year-old son. Nervous because I haven't run a game in forever, but excited because the system and setting are amazingly well done by the company (Free League).

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Nessus posted:

Why would you be an rear end in a top hat to a duck? Just asking for trouble.

I thought your avatar was a two headed swan for a long time but it's just a weird creature and thought this was a fun waterfowl based post

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s a Pierson’s Puppeteer.

Easily one of Larry Niven’s creations. Real cool aliens.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Specifically, it's Nessus, a Pierson's Puppeteer character who features prominently in IIRC two or three of Niven's more popular books, including Ringworld.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
While we're talking about avatars, what's the little guy in yours?

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Vadun posted:

There are also zero rules for Hero Questing, which is loving insane to me. It's like the single most important thing in the lore of Glorantha.

Apparently official rules for running HeroQuests in RuneQuest are coming ... eventually. In the meantime, the 3rd-party supplement, Six Seasons in Sartar, has a chapter on HeroQuests using RuneQuest, and I'm very happy using those rules until Chaosium can put out something official (which was first promised in, what, the 70s? ;) ). The rest of the book (mainly a six-scenario campaign) is highly recommended, among the very best of the Jonstown Compendium.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Leraika posted:

Big Destiny from adventure time. He's basically like a kid friendly Fist of The North Star warlord

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I think they meant the cuttlefish(?) in Leperflesh's.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

ActingPower posted:

I think they meant the cuttlefish(?) in Leperflesh's.

I did, but I like that answer enough to declare it canon.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ominous Jazz posted:

I thought your avatar was a two headed swan for a long time but it's just a weird creature and thought this was a fun waterfowl based post
It's just simple facts, fellow worker, don't gently caress with any waterfowl unless you have a plan. Just because ducks are probably the easiest target doesn't make it right.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nessus posted:

It's just simple facts, fellow worker, don't gently caress with any waterfowl unless you have a plan. Just because ducks are probably the easiest target doesn't make it right.

Ducks are NOT the easiest target.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Ducks are NOT the easiest target.

I've played enough Duck Hunt to know this is true!

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I'd kill for a piece of original Laubenstein art from the 1e/2e era.

It's a piece from Battletech, but it's still late 80s Laubenstein, so I'm happy. Noble Knight had some really great Shadowrun original pieces, but looks like they got snapped up a few years before I was looking.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leraika posted:

it's a leopard fish!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I've been getting an urge to pick up some new book. Odds are i won't ever play whatever so what books are interesting to read and/or have interesting ideas

Vermis might be right up your alley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6mC_NHEGDY

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
^^ That Questing Beast link reminds me, are there any youtube channels that keep up to date on indie RPG happenings outside the OSR? It's getting harder and harder to keep up with the space without engaging in a million tiny discords, it'd be nice to have an aggregator.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all! I launched my TTRPG last year after a long Kickstarter. I'm ready to try and actually push it a bit now. Does anyone have any recommendations for sites/folks I could send review copies to?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Question for the hivemind: Anyone know of any rpgs playing in/around/during the Hundred-Year-War in France/Britani?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Question for the hivemind: Anyone know of any rpgs playing in/around/during the Hundred-Year-War in France/Britani?

you could probably bump Ars Magica up a century without completely breaking everything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr.Misfit posted:

Alephtar Games makes a couple of supplements for BRP (Chaosium's D100 core system) set in that era: Merrie England and Merrie England: Robyn Hode

Rolemaster and GURPS both had Robin Hood supplement books.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 31, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What are you thinking, realistic dirt farmers? Full verisimilitude, period-accurate-equipment fighting-mans? High drama knights and maidens? Details for the major historical characters and a rigorous system for courtly intrigue?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
^^^^ yeah, this is the question. It depends on what sort of game you want.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Luke Crane's Miseries and Misfortunes is about 300 years later, but is about France and may or may not be closer to what you want than the other suggestions you've gotten so far.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mr.Misfit posted:

I'm writing one right now!

But maybe that doesn't help you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Pendragon and Paladin are set ~600-800 years earlier, but they also fudge in the other direction to grab weapons, armor, and other tech that's more mid/late middle ages, so you could probably appropriate those rules to suit, too.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

goatface posted:

What are you thinking, realistic dirt farmers? Full verisimilitude, period-accurate-equipment fighting-mans? High drama knights and maidens? Details for the major historical characters and a rigorous system for courtly intrigue?

Jimbozig posted:

^^^^ yeah, this is the question. It depends on what sort of game you want.

Luke Crane's Miseries and Misfortunes is about 300 years later, but is about France and may or may not be closer to what you want than the other suggestions you've gotten so far.

I was thinking more more adventures and intrigue amidst people from the upper echelons of society mingling with misfits and mercenaries to make their wealth and faith to the backdrop of a world at war.

I'm a bit queasy about Crane-games since I don't really like his style but I'll guess I'll have a look.

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm writing one right now!

But maybe that doesn't help you.

It doesn't but I'm sure to keep a look out :grin:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pendragon and Paladin are set ~600-800 years earlier, but they also fudge in the other direction to grab weapons, armor, and other tech that's more mid/late middle ages, so you could probably appropriate those rules to suit, too.

I'm currently using Pendragon but I think it might be a bit too arthurian or charlemagne historical for my taste. I was suprised how much of the books is actually historical info instead of rules etc.

FMguru posted:

Alephtar Games makes a couple of supplements for BRP (Chaosium's D100 core system) set in that era: Merrie England and Merrie England: Robyn Hode

Rolemaster and GURPS both had Robin Hood supplement books.

Ohhh, the BRP supplements are definitely somethin I'll look into, thanks for the hint ^^

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

you could probably bump Ars Magica up a century without completely breaking everything

The ensemble play-logic would certainly fit having more than one perspective, but I'm unsure what the draw would be without the magic.

Edit: I did hear that apparently there was a Joan of Arc RPG in 2020 as companion to a miniature tabletop game but it seems to have disappeared from places I have access to on the internet.

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 31, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GURPS Middle Ages OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr.Misfit posted:

I was thinking more more adventures and intrigue amidst people from the upper echelons of society mingling with misfits and mercenaries to make their wealth and faith to the backdrop of a world at war.

I'm a bit queasy about Crane-games since I don't really like his style but I'll guess I'll have a look.

It doesn't but I'm sure to keep a look out :grin:

I'm currently using Pendragon but I think it might be a bit too arthurian or charlemagne historical for my taste. I was suprised how much of the books is actually historical info instead of rules etc.

Ohhh, the BRP supplements are definitely somethin I'll look into, thanks for the hint ^^

The ensemble play-logic would certainly fit having more than one perspective, but I'm unsure what the draw would be without the magic.

Edit: I did hear that apparently there was a Joan of Arc RPG in 2020 as companion to a miniature tabletop game but it seems to have disappeared from places I have access to on the internet.

Have you tried Dungeons and Dragons: 5th Edition, OP?