Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

King Doom posted:

At this point that isn't snow falling, that's carbon dioxide solidifying out of the air.

That's a horrible thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

King Doom posted:

At this point that isn't snow falling, that's carbon dioxide solidifying out of the air.

That happens at 78.5C so we're not quite there yet.

No new law

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ChaosDragon posted:

So how are we on supplies captain?

I looked at the last image, 6500 coal which is decent and 3 days worth of food cooked another 3 days uncooked. those are the ones important for survival, several hundred wood and steel and two steam cores for crafting, with tesla city up that will bring in a core a day which makes things... easy

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Twenty-Six (cont.) and Twenty-Seven
It seems that for the most part, the people of this city are content with how we have shaped our society. They have voted for the first time not to institute any new policies - they are satisfied with who we are now.

It's hard not to be proud of what we've built here. We have enough food, shelter and warmth to keep our 387 citizens comfortable, and every single one of them knows our purpose here thanks to the Order I've kept.

We've even built ourselves a top-notch research operation, on par with anything the Old World could boast. Today sees two further improvements to the insulation in our city, as well as an increase in the efficiency of our gathering posts, which were not quite able to keep up with the coal thumper's output before.

Sir, the engineer working on the Automaton Project sent in his report. He broke the automaton he borrowed. Now he wants a Steam Core.
The damage hasn't been for nothing: we can fix the broken machine, and on top of that we can now adjust the automatons to make them work faster. The engineer's busy again now, but he said he's onto something "really exciting".

Though some of the other engineers object to giving him a steam core on the basis that we won't be able to repair it if he breaks that too, the Automaton Project has produced good results thus far, and the damage was nothing too serious. Requisition approved.

As discontent is beginning to creep up again, I order a fighting pit built near a group of houses that doesn't have one yet.

Our primary goal has been accomplished - to build a city ready and willing to support every last survivor out here. There is nothing left to do but thrive!

Captain, a group of exhausted survivors has reached our city. From their frantic explanations, we know they've come a great distance and that many of them died on the way. The phrase "doom is coming" keeps being repeated and they say many more refugees are following them. They're begging you to help them, sir.

Moments after I wrote those words, I was proven wrong. We'd though that nobody else was left alive out here after so long, but this morning eleven refugees found our city. Of course we will help them - we have the capability, and therefore the responsibility.

According to our new guests there are three large groups following them. We quickly spot the first group on the horizon, and scout team one is dispatched to retrieve them.

Preparations are made for the incoming migrant wave.

Among those preparations is outfitting our hunters with better equipment, in order to bring back even more food every night.

With all the commotion I nearly forget to reset the Generator's overdrive switch! The temperature has risen back to -50, which unfortunately seems like it will be the new normal for a while.

Among the incoming refugees we can see there are about twenty children. Shelters are built for them after the houses are finished.

Our workshops are now top-of-the-line, featuring automatic prototyping systems the likes of which the most advanced labs in London could only dream of.

Sir, the Automaton Project is complete. Automatons can now be produced at lower cost and used in medical facilities.
We learned to modify the automatons with precision attachments, allowing them to work on the most fragile thing we know of - the human body. It also turns out we can remove some non-essential parts.

Wait... non-essential parts from the automaton, right?

The first of our most advanced possible technologies, we can now attach a small coal engine to the back of our scout sleds to boost their speed. Not long after that, we are able to iterate on the excellent work of the Automaton Project, raising the efficiency of our mechanical workers even further.

Our production of raw food outstripped our ability to process it a while ago. To remedy that, a second cookhouse is built; this one will produce standard rations, while the first continues to make soup.

The scouts caught up with the refugees, who had been slowly making their way towards the column of smoke put out by our Generator. With the newly boosted sleds, it only takes a few hours for them to retrieve the seventy migrants.

A huge crowd of people has reached our city. Many of them are sick. They say that some kind of enormous weather anomaly is coming our way, and that they'll die without our help.
"We'd never have survived it! Thank our lucky stars that the polar explorer Nansen warned us about the disaster and told us to evacuate. Please, let us in!"

Of the seventy people who are joining us in the Pit, thirty have fallen ill from the cold. A new medical post is opened for the first time in a while in order to ensure we can treat all of the sick at once. We'll likely need to open even more in the coming days as we bring in the next two groups. More concerning than the number of ill is the talk of a storm that forced them to seek us out in the first place, likely the "doom" the first few were talking about. They must have been completely unprepared if a single storm forced them to evacuate, but it is something we should keep an eye out for anyway.

And with that, I put my pencil down for the night. As things develop I will continue to give opportunies to the people to make their opinions known, if it decided that we must sign a new law as more refugees arrive.

Will we vote for a new law or continue without?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I vote for Dueling Laws so we can challenge the storm to single combat

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

RBA Starblade posted:

If we shoot the hurricane we can rob it of energy!

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
No new laws

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

No New laws currently

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

sleepy.eyes posted:

If we shoot the hurricane we can rob it of energy!

:science: We simply spin very fast in the opposite direction!

No new laws, let's save it for a health/food/morale crisis. Which might be soon with the apocalypse coming.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

No new laws

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mechanical Ape posted:

No new laws, let's save it for a health/food/morale crisis. Which might be soon with the apocalypse coming.

This, keep things flexible in case things start to go wrong.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Nothing Keep our powder dry.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
House of Pleasure, maybe? Surely, now is the time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
No new laws

Keep ourselves lean and agile to deal with incoming new obstacles

BTW, how much housing room do we have? We just got a sudden influx of 70 survivors, and probably two more batches of similar number coming in. Do we have housing space for 200 new bodies coming in? Granted, probably 1/3 of that will be in medical recovery for a while.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

BTW, how much housing room do we have? We just got a sudden influx of 70 survivors, and probably two more batches of similar number coming in. Do we have housing space for 200 new bodies coming in? Granted, probably 1/3 of that will be in medical recovery for a while.
There's currently enough housing for every single person in the city, and each time a new wave comes in there's enough advance warning that I can just put up the houses needed for them before they arrive. There's still enough room and resources around that it won't be a problem.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
How are we on food?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dueling Law

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

ChaosDragon posted:

How are we on food?
Really good; someone upthread calculated three days of rations last update and we're at closer to five days now.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

RBA Starblade posted:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ChaosDragon posted:

How are we on food?

With Tesla city every... 3 days the city could put up an industrial hothouse and staff it with an automaton for immense amounts of raw food

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RBA Starblade posted:

And then we all dogpile on it when it thinks we're honorable! It's foolproof!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On Children's Homes - how do you get people to actually move into them? I'm doing a run where I have tons of kids, several Children's Homes and they're empty wtih none of the kids living in them. I'm wondering if there's a flag or something you have to do with houses?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

wedgekree posted:

On Children's Homes - how do you get people to actually move into them? I'm doing a run where I have tons of kids, several Children's Homes and they're empty wtih none of the kids living in them. I'm wondering if there's a flag or something you have to do with houses?
The shelters are a place for them to stay during the day, at night they still live in their normal homes with their families. Check what the numbers look like during work hours. Make sure it's also warm enough, if it gets too cold the kids won't go in there any more!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
No new laws

Things seem fine as-is.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wedgekree posted:

Children homes are the kids "jobs" unless you pass the apprenticeship laws at which point they will go over to the medical/workshop areas and bug the engineers working there

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"oh can't you kids go build a snowman instead of bothering me, I have to rebuild this engine."
-"we made six just this morning, you know how hard the snow gets at minus fifty?!"
-"I still can't feel my tongue "

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RBA Starblade posted:

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Agitators.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Triage. In a situation like this, it could be more useful than ever.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

Children homes are the kids "jobs" unless you pass the apprenticeship laws at which point they will go over to the medical/workshop areas and bug the engineers working there

Cool, so that means I don't have to build them if I have an apprenticeship program setup!

Into the coal mines tis!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

wedgekree posted:

Cool, so that means I don't have to build them if I have an apprenticeship program setup!

Into the coal mines tis!

you need them built for the bonus to hope from them even though they will stand empty, if you do enact child labor, into the... hothouses actually, hothouses are a good place to stash your children, and the soupSawdust kitchens

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Days Twenty-Eight and Twenty-Nine
It has been determined again that we need no new laws, even in the face of these migrant caravans.

Integrating the new people into our society caused a negligible amount of discontent. We are truly one people comprised of many.

We quickly spot the second group of refugees on the horizon, another seventy, with nearly thirty children among them. Scout unit two is sent to guide them here, and preparations are made to ensure they will be coming home to warm beds and safe shelters.

The research performed by the Automaton Project continues to pay dividends.

Considering how poorly off the first wave was already, it is expected that the next two groups of incoming survivors will be even more frost-afflicted. Extra rations are given at each medical station so the medics will be ready to receieve them.

Those working our hothouses are doing us a vital service, ensuring that we have varied greens in our diets when green no longer exists in the outside world. They'd given us some suggestions for how their workplace could be improved, and our scientists have implemented those suggestions into an improved design.

Sir, an automaton has entangled itself hopelessly in its assigned building. We can't free it without at least partially dismantling one or the other, and that means shutting down either the automaton or the building.

One of the automata assigned to coal mining got its leg trapped when an old mineshaft collapsed, and had to be disassembled on site. A team of human workers will fill in for it until it is reassembled.

Heartened by the research team's integration of their ideas, the hothouse crews gave them even more input. The soils and atmospheric conditions here are unlike any that have ever been farmed in before, so by shedding our expectations from the Old World we will be able to better tend to our crops in this one.

The hothouses were originally covered with leftover canvas from our old tents, which is no longer an adequate insulator in this cold and flapped loudly in the wind to boot. We've upgraded them to industrial hothouses, with more solid steel frames and an additional steam hub apiece.

Another huge group of refugees has arrived. They're in even worse condition than the previous one, many of them victims of frostbite. They all talk about a huge storm coming from the south.
"Nansen led us north because his years exploring the Arctic taught him to survive here using natural resources. Nobody could've guessed what was coming, though." Should we let them in?

Of course we are letting them in - all of them, healthy and sick alike. Twenty-five of their number are gravely ill from frostbite, the worst cases we have seen yet.

No, we no longer need measure our people's worth by their productivity. That has mostly been handed over to the automatons, by now. What matters now is their loyalty, and these people's loyalty is ensured by their gratitude. I'm slightly concerned by this Nansen figure, however - having a second leader, one the Norse newcomers can look to as one of their own, could threaten our Order here...

Scout team one is sent out as soon as we locate the the third and final group. Sixty people, all adults, doubtless worse off even than this latest group.

Our houses are already comfortably warm, but I don't want to take any chances that may lead to any of our people falling ill. The medical system is already overwhelmed.

Additional medical posts are being built, and once the outpost team brings us the latest steam hub from Tesla City we'll need to build a second infirmary.

There, you see? The new arrivals already understand their place in our society well.

No use risking our medics catching cold on the job! Those medical posts may look like the same canvas tents they've been from the beginning, but the inside is reinforced with wood, steel and yesterday's news bulletins.

The work done by the Automaton Project gave us the ability to staff our infirmaries with automatons. This cutting-edge facility will handle the worse cases with speed and precision, while the engineers who were staffed here previously have been reassigned to a couple of medical posts.

This is a design that we could have produced a long time ago, but never had a need for. To be honest, we still don't really have a need for it - there are just so many people sitting around with nothing to do all day now that I was beginning to tire of the constant stream of inquiries about if there were any tasks to be performed anywhere.

Some of the sick refugees have been telling us about what they experienced out in Frostland. Several of the places they're describing are unfamiliar to our scouts! There must be more out there that we missed, and so a third scout team is commissioned. They are designed unit six, in keeping with the cover that the missing work team was unit five.

The charcoal kiln is built and staffed. Even with a second set of large resource depots constructed we've already hit our capacity for coal storage again, so this place won't be seeing much work, but it keeps people out of trouble.

The outpost teams are outfitted with the same boosters that the scout sleds were upgraded with. Can't understand why we didn't think of this before!

The third group of refugees is here. They're on the verge of collapse, exhausted by their journey and by tending to the gravely ill and injured with them. Their leader, Nansen, isn't among them.
"We're evacuating everyone we can, but many stayed behind with those who were too ill to travel, Nansen among them. God have mercy on us all, the Great Frost is coming..." Shall we let them in?

Criminy, the doctors are still up to their necks with the last wave of patients, even with all the extra rations we've been sending them. Still, turning these people away would be a death sentence. We'll figure something out. Of note, their leader is not with them - I find myself slightly relieved. Order will prevail, but I do find myself wondering what happened to him and the others who stayed with him.
Based on the information we received from the new citizens, we were able to pinpoint three new locations of interest, one for each of the scout teams:

Against the stark white of the snow plateau, something stands out - a thing, dark line. It's hard to tell from this distance what's to be found there.

We can see several mounds in the distance. Nothing stirs in the white plain surrounding them.

There's something odd about the landscape there. It looks like a shadow on the white plain that deepens towards a central point.

Easy to see how we missed these spots, they look like nothing remarkable. Still, there could potentially be something useful out there - and potentially, more survivors from the Nordic expedition, if we can reach them in time.

With the way all of the newcomers have been talking, it's becoming increasingly clear that what chased them north was no mere flurry. We will need to come up with an upgrade to the Beacon's long-range detection capabilities, but before that, I need to know the will of the people based on the new situation.

Will we vote for a new law or continue without?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 1, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We're doing fine, I think. Let's sit on our hands!

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
This might be a good time to get things set up for Triage. We might not need to actually use it yet, but it might be usefull if the medical crisis gets worse.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Continue without

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We maybe could have used triage before all these sick people arrived, but they're here now and we're coping and plan to expand soon, so no new laws.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

rbakervv posted:

This might be a good time to get things set up for Triage. We might not need to actually use it yet, but it might be usefull if the medical crisis gets worse.

Sounds like a good idea. An ounce of prevention and all.

Triage!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Triage.

I think we need to attend to the medical problem before it is a real crisis.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Note that the way Triage works here is effectively sacrificing a quarter of the sick on an altar to the storm in exchange for most of everyone else magically jumping out of bed ready to work. It's not something you attend your medical problems with as much as it's something you end them with (for the moment) at a terrible price, with all the associated costs of a mass death event.

Not a vote either way, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
No Change