Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's easier to hit home runs in Denver because of the lower air resistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

fair. i meant more about the cardio of athletes training there? I know some UFC fighters go to higher altitudes.

BASICALLY, should I bet on the Denver Nuggets to win the finals in the NBA?

IcePoseidon is showing technical difficulties on his stream now, lol.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

blight rhino posted:

So, topic-adjacent, do teams from like Denver and such have an advantage over the "low-land" teams?

South Africa are often said to be harder to beat at, like, Ellis Park (Johannesburg) or Loftus Versfeld (Pretoria) because they’re on the Highveldt. Kicks at goal definitely go further there.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nocheez posted:

It is harder for an away team because the laser horse will shoot it down

May 26, 2023
› Mount Everest: wayy to many structural issues

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 32 hours!

blight rhino posted:

fair. i meant more about the cardio of athletes training there? I know some UFC fighters go to higher altitudes.

IcePoseidon is showing technical difficulties on his stream now, lol.

i imagine NFL teams visiting Denver bring/use more oxygen than when they travel other places

the US Olympic team has massive multi-sport facilities in Colorado Springs: https://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usopc/olympic-paralympic-training-centers/csoptc/facilities

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

blight rhino posted:

Probably, but not because of the altitude. They're just playing better than anyone right now. They've never won a title before, so I don't think the altitude is a gigantic advantage.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I didn’t realise but today, May 29 is the anniversary of Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary’s ascent of Mount Everest. It is now 70 years since that first successful ascent.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Varkk posted:

I didn’t realise but today, May 29 is the anniversary of Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hillary’s ascent of Mount Everest. It is now 70 years since that first successful ascent.

And despite after them telling everyone "nah there's just a bunch of rocks up here, nothing to see really" people still kept going up. :(

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
There is a statue of Hillary in my home town and its been there my entire life. Fun fact about the guy who made it that you guys might appreciate.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/ipad-editors-picks/10140548/I-didn-t-die-in-Syria-Kiwi-artist

quote:

A Syrian representative at the United Nations said during the weekend that a New Zealander had been killed in fighting, and authorities here confirmed that but did not name him.

Chen, who is better known in New Zealand for sculpting a stature of Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary, that stands in Orewa, north of Auckland, said he had been to Syria three times, joining up with the Free Syrian Army.

He described getting there through Turkey and other routes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bellingcat has reached the summit

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Brown Moses fat rear end wouldn't last a second over 10000 ft

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Brown Moses just uses a satellite :nsa:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I was listening to Radio 4 on the way home from work the other day and brown Moses was on the programme. Most surprising. It was the media show in case you were interested .

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009
Altitude: 810ft
Pulse: 75bpm
Pulse ox: 98%

Had to walk up the stairs to take a poo poo; pretty certain that’s equivalent to hiking to base camp. Had been a full 12 hours since my last due to being out and about (I wouldn’t lower myself to a public toilet). I feel good and empty after, basically ready to take on Mount Everest.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Confusedslight posted:

There is a statue of Hillary in my home town

started reading this very confused as to why anyone would have constructed a statue of hillary clinton

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

started reading this very confused as to why anyone would have constructed a statue of hillary clinton

To destroy an effigy?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Dedication to all those whose turn it is at the top

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

HiroProtagonist posted:

Brown Moses fat rear end wouldn't last a second over 10000 ft

I can't blame him, last time I hiked a mountain a tooth cracked at about 6500 feet. And it's not like I had put off dentist visits beforehand or anything.

I think if I tried Everest my whole skull would just explode at one point.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2023/05/30/everest-2023-an-end-to-a-tough-season/

good article

tl;dr this season was a complete shitshow

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Hang on, hang on.... there's a 49 year old bloke up there called Kenton Cool?

e: and he's married to someone called Jazz Black??

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sounds like the writers got pretty lazy this season.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Plus the love triangle with Sherberta Slopes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chrpno posted:

Hang on, hang on.... there's a 49 year old bloke up there called Kenton Cool?

e: and he's married to someone called Jazz Black??

“Is there a Dwight Rortugal in the house?”

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

quote:

After several seasons of cleaning Everest and high-profile Nepali operators raising money to remove the trash, report after report is coming in that the high camps are in horrible condition, especially Camp 4 at the South Col. I wonder where all that money went.

Also someone on the cleanup crew died

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

New rule: you don't get to summit until you've taken down some trash. No I don't care if it's your first time, call it an acclimatization run. Maybe it'll put them off and save lives (who am I kidding, half of them will fall off the edge picking up a gas bottle).

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gentleman please! no thefts, this is the death zone!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ewe2 posted:

New rule: you don't get to summit until you've taken down some trash. No I don't care if it's your first time, call it an acclimatization run. Maybe it'll put them off and save lives (who am I kidding, half of them will fall off the edge picking up a gas bottle).

They just need to gamify it. The more trash you pick up the further up the mountain you're allowed to go!

Then you they want even need to figure out how to bury any bodies as they'll all be buried under piles of trash!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

So much chaos above basecamp it's sad those mighty adventurers who don't make it to basecamp don't even get a mention.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

There was a video on the front page of Reddit a few days ago showing the mess on the South Col. It looked like a tornado had torn up a tent factory.

The Kangshung face of Everest is just on the other side of that saddle. Nobody goes there. I bet there's tons and tons of crap chucked down into it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

They really need to implement tighter controls on who is allowed to attempt to climb, like, you should have extensive snow/ice/rock climbing experience as well as summit a few 7000m+ peaks before being allowed to consider pursuing Everest. They made the guides mandatory in order to try to reduce deaths from inexperienced climbers but they should honestly make it more difficult to be approved for a permit. The mandatory guides are not really reducing climber deaths and are putting more Sherpas at risk of harm or death.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That doesn't make them lots of money though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

All applicants must spend a year as live in house help for their sherpas before allowed to summit

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I can see a regulatory scheme where you have to do a less-busy Nepali summit or three to get your Everest permit and it ends up helping the overall Nepali mountain economy while lowering Everest traffic. The tourist climbers will be paying for guides and porters on the slightly lower peaks as well, and people would get to find out their body isn't capable of Himalayan altitudes well before they experience Everest continuation bias.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Everest timeshares? But these are the kind of people who live for these sales pitches!

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
mandatory two off-street parking spaces per dwelling on the peak of everest. four lane expressways, dunkin'. idling your 2005 dodge durango and demanding your barista write the constitution on your coffee cup on the sacred summit of chomolungma

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

What's lungma?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ohtori Akio posted:

I can see a regulatory scheme where you have to do a less-busy Nepali summit or three to get your Everest permit and it ends up helping the overall Nepali mountain economy while lowering Everest traffic. The tourist climbers will be paying for guides and porters on the slightly lower peaks as well, and people would get to find out their body isn't capable of Himalayan altitudes well before they experience Everest continuation bias.

I heard they tried to implement this exact thing before. Not sure how far it got, if it got past basic planning or whatever. people were pissed that it had to be a Nepal mountain so was more about profit than climbing experience

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ethanol posted:

I heard they tried to implement this exact thing before. Not sure how far it got, if it got past basic planning or whatever. people were pissed that it had to be a Nepal mountain so was more about profit than climbing experience

How dare Nepal be maximally compensated for the destruction and abuse of their natural wonders! The audacity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

bring back expeditions lead by Countries!