Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Never even heard of it but I'll check it out!

I've never heard of fuckin Qumulo either lmao can anyone else vouch for them? Seems they've been around for a decade but literally never heard of them until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Qumulo is fine. It’s Isilon 2.0. There are some performance edge cases to be careful with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No idea if things have changed or if your budget accommodates it but I was looking around a couple years back and Qumulo said they're a six-figure price tag.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
They used to have just one class of storage, now it's cheaper depending on the amount of flash and interface speed. The mid tier is what used to be their only tier, you can go all nvme and pay a lot or have very little flash and that's the cheaper Archive tier

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

They used to have just one class of storage, now it's cheaper depending on the amount of flash and interface speed. The mid tier is what used to be their only tier, you can go all nvme and pay a lot or have very little flash and that's the cheaper Archive tier

Do you work for Qumulo or are just a big fan? Wondering cos your only posts in this thread are to rep them.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Do you work for Qumulo or are just a big fan? Wondering cos your only posts in this thread are to rep them.

I am a fan, I discovered this thread late so that's why it's all qumulo now. I ran a VNX unified and a nimble prior.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'm a little jealous of people who get to play with cool/large storage poo poo. Feel like that's easily my biggest technical blind spot. Somehow all of my jobs have been one of

1) No major storage needs beyond like a Synology NAS
2) Boss pathologically opposed to the concept of shared storage because it's a single point of failure or other weird excuses (running critical workloads on a single host with a big rear end disk array hanging off it is better because ????????)
3) Petabytes of NetApp but there was already a dedicated and awesome storage engineer so I never really had to deal with it

These days I'm entirely working in the cloud and the only interesting aspect of storage is explaining to management how the hell they racked up a 6 figure monthly S3 bill

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Docjowles posted:

I'm a little jealous of people who get to play with cool/large storage poo poo. Feel like that's easily my biggest technical blind spot. Somehow all of my jobs have been one of

2) Boss pathologically opposed to the concept of shared storage because it's a single point of failure or other weird excuses (running critical workloads on a single host with a big rear end disk array hanging off it is better because ????????)
3) Petabytes of NetApp but there was already a dedicated and awesome storage engineer so I never really had to deal with it

These days I'm entirely working in the cloud and the only interesting aspect of storage is explaining to management how the hell they racked up a 6 figure monthly S3 bill

Very easily, lol.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

My companies s3 bill is 7.5 figures.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Good morning storage havers, we've got three weeks to scrape Imgur.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290&perpage=40&noseen=1

e: woops mistook this for the similarly titled NAS thread

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 20, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Methanar posted:

My companies s3 bill is 7.5 figures.

We're 6 figures in our cloud bill already and not even doing anything in it yet.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CommieGIR posted:

We're 6 figures in our cloud bill already and not even doing anything in it yet.
Got sold on the reserved instance prepayments, I see

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

shame on an IGA posted:

Good morning storage havers, we've got three weeks to scrape Imgur.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290&perpage=40&noseen=1

e: woops mistook this for the similarly titled NAS thread

It's Waffleimages all over again

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I see they’ve reached the stage that every image host in history gets to eventually, no matter their initial good intentions: accceptance that storing trillions of images completely free is not a viable business model. They made it longer than most.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

In my last job which was a decade ago now I got to do a lot more storage stuff and I do miss it. I really enjoyed doing FC fabric design and config with IBM SANs (DS-series and StoreWize V7000) and FC switches/MPRs which were just Brocade devices with IBM logos stuck to them. Coolest implementation I did was a V7000 deployment across two sites with the FC fabric extended between the sites using FCIP over a dark fibre link so that the V7000s could replicate LUNs:

The IBM/Brocade FC gear was hilariously expensive. The MPRs cost AU$30k each for just the hardware and then you had to pay more for the license to enable VE ports for the backbone fabric. Also the FC switches came in 24 and 48 port models however they only came with a license to enable 8 ports so if you want to use more than 8 ports you had to buy port activation licenses in 8-port bundles. Great devices to work with though with an excellent GUI and CLI, far better than Q-Logic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Silkworm was the best product name that ever could have been invented for an FC switch, and marked the high point of Brocade as a company

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

were just Brocade devices with IBM logos stuck to them.

Seems to be very common, HPE does the same thing with StoreFabric.
I guess when you don't want to be responsible for developing something as critical as Fibre channel switches, you just resell Brocade gear, especially as they're such an established player.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Silkworm was the best product name that ever could have been invented for an FC switch, and marked the high point of Brocade as a company

Brocade got acquired by Broadcom yeah? I haven't worked with them in over a decade but I'm guessing they're now probably much worse.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Brocade got acquired by Broadcom yeah? I haven't worked with them in over a decade but I'm guessing they're now probably much worse.
Vaunnies Brocbroadadecom

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I think the products are fine, but the rituals you have to perfom to get access to the firmware updates...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

In my last job which was a decade ago now I got to do a lot more storage stuff and I do miss it. I really enjoyed doing FC fabric design and config with IBM SANs (DS-series and StoreWize V7000) and FC switches/MPRs which were just Brocade devices with IBM logos stuck to them. Coolest implementation I did was a V7000 deployment across two sites with the FC fabric extended between the sites using FCIP over a dark fibre link so that the V7000s could replicate LUNs:

The IBM/Brocade FC gear was hilariously expensive. The MPRs cost AU$30k each for just the hardware and then you had to pay more for the license to enable VE ports for the backbone fabric. Also the FC switches came in 24 and 48 port models however they only came with a license to enable 8 ports so if you want to use more than 8 ports you had to buy port activation licenses in 8-port bundles. Great devices to work with though with an excellent GUI and CLI, far better than Q-Logic.

My only Brocade exposure was to some of their traditional ethernet network equipment and MY GOD was it a heap of poo poo. I don't remember the details but we had an issue where running certain traffic through it from a host would cause the switch to go into a reboot loop until the host was physically disconnected from the device. Which was certainly something :stonklol:

The FC stuff sounds like it was cool and good though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

My only Brocade exposure was to some of their traditional ethernet network equipment and MY GOD was it a heap of poo poo. I don't remember the details but we had an issue where running certain traffic through it from a host would cause the switch to go into a reboot loop until the host was physically disconnected from the device. Which was certainly something :stonklol:

The FC stuff sounds like it was cool and good though.

Yeah their standard Ethernet stuff was always trash, but they had Fiberchannel down to a science.

Sadly that hosed them in the long run.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

I think the products are fine, but the rituals you have to perfom to get access to the firmware updates...

I just went through this with HDS supported Brocade directors and it was a nightmare getting the code.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

HalloKitty posted:

WHY is it so loving difficult?!

So glad to have gotten out of storage/IT operations...

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Welp, just bought a NetApp c250. I haven't used Ontap in like....10 years. Looks like there's been a few changes! Learning about LUN configuration and what a SVM even is like a little baby.

Edit - Looks like I need to manually enable space_alloc if I'm going to thin provision, thanks admin guide!

Any Ontap gurus here have any tips for an Ontap newbie? This will be 90% Windows client general use.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 1, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Is there any training/professional services hours or something included in your support agreement? Does the outfit that sold it to you provide anything like that? I'd look into that tbh. I'd hope your employer woulda factored this in when purchasing the thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I'd hope your employer woulda factored this in when purchasing the thing.

:rubby:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Is there any training/professional services hours or something included in your support agreement? Does the outfit that sold it to you provide anything like that? I'd look into that tbh. I'd hope your employer woulda factored this in when purchasing the thing.

Ha, no there was not. We don't usually get training for stuff like this. It's happened like twice in my career.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Welp, just bought a NetApp c250. I haven't used Ontap in like....10 years. Looks like there's been a few changes! Learning about LUN configuration and what a SVM even is like a little baby.

Edit - Looks like I need to manually enable space_alloc if I'm going to thin provision, thanks admin guide!

Any Ontap gurus here have any tips for an Ontap newbie? This will be 90% Windows client general use.
Up your max inodes. By a lot.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
As someone who has used a handful of arrays from only a few different vendors (Dell/EMC, Nimble, Pure), how much manual fuckery is needed now a days setting up a new app for block storage?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Moey posted:

As someone who has used a handful of arrays from only a few different vendors (Dell/EMC, Nimble, Pure), how much manual fuckery is needed now a days setting up a new app for block storage?
Depends how manual the rest of your process is. If you're zoning out manually provisioned LUNs to initiators/HBAs, the experience isn't going to differ a ton between vendors. If you're doing dynamic provisioning from a Kubernetes or OpenStack cluster, there's a lot of variation in CSI/Cinder drivers, their quality, and how tightly coupled they are to the underlying storage topology

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

evil_bunnY posted:

Up your max inodes. By a lot.

Will do, learned this same lesson when dealing with IBM Unified. I'm guessing any *nix based file is the same.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've been out of the enterprise storage industry for a while, which I haven't been posting much ITT - but this 30TB 2.5" U.2 Kioxia drive did catch my attention, because 40PB/rack does sound pretty good, even if the 4KB QD64 and 16KB QD32 random IOPS aren't very good, the NVMe interface still offers 2^16 queues with 2^16B each, and the sequential IOPS is pretty alright.
Only real downside is that it's got a DWPD of only 1.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've been out of the enterprise storage industry for a while, which I haven't been posting much ITT - but this 30TB 2.5" U.2 Kioxia drive did catch my attention, because 40PB/rack does sound pretty good, even if the 4KB QD64 and 16KB QD32 random IOPS aren't very good, the NVMe interface still offers 2^16 queues with 2^16B each, and the sequential IOPS is pretty alright.
Only real downside is that it's got a DWPD of only 1.

I think the PB/1RU density is for the ruler drives; I think supermicro u.2 servers top out at like 24 per U which leaves you at a paltry 30PB per rack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

in a well actually posted:

I think the PB/1RU density is for the ruler drives; I think supermicro u.2 servers top out at like 24 per U which leaves you at a paltry 30PB per rack.
Ah, well clearly it's complete poo poo then. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do any of you run on-prem object stores (±1PB) you're happy with?

Kaddish posted:

check your inode limits

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 27, 2023

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

Quite a few more petabytes than that in a Spectra tape library that is overall good, although there have been some definite pains with the separate S3 frontend software. It is definitely a "good for what it is good for, don't get sold it expecting what it isn't" deal.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

Ceph. It’s fine. Kinda fte intensive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Quite a few more petabytes than that in a Spectra tape library that is overall good, although there have been some definite pains with the separate S3 frontend software. It is definitely a "good for what it is good for, don't get sold it expecting what it isn't" deal.
We want disk/flash not tape 🥶

in a well actually posted:

Ceph. It’s fine. Kinda fte intensive.
We’ve been running suse ceph and it’s a dumpster fire that’s getting deprecated.

looking at canonical and RH now (surely it’ll go better THIS TIME)

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah. Vendored Ceph is expensive and a real pain in the rear end if you’re not in sync with mainline Ceph development.