Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
There's never anything to buy though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

quite stretched out posted:

i get a bunch of mileage out of hungry cat picross whenever it updates, other than that peglin is fairly easy to listen to a podcast with because its turn based and part of it is just watching the ball bounce

I just tried Hungry Cat Picross. It doesn't follow the Picross rules I'm used to. If there's a five box horizontal row that says 1 4, HCP might want OOXOO, when in the Picross rules I know, that always means XOOOO.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Arms_Akimbo posted:

There's never anything to buy though!

Just buy all the cosmetics. The themed ones (usually around holidays) are a few thousand for the pack. This spring was crazy for lots of new stuff in the shop.

LifeLynx posted:

I just tried Hungry Cat Picross. It doesn't follow the Picross rules I'm used to. If there's a five box horizontal row that says 1 4, HCP might want OOXOO, when in the Picross rules I know, that always means XOOOO.

Yeah, its rules are a little different, but that's because there are never any blank cells. They always get colored in one of the four colors.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I've tried dozens of picross games on Android but they never feel right to me. The Picross E games on 3ds are the best picross games imo. I recently put them all on Citra on my phone. With my S pen it's almost perfect.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I picked up YMBAB, and it's been fun. I suck at it though. I always end up getting nudged offscreen while trying to find a key. Any tips, or should I just git gud?

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Just keep playing. Most runs end in death in some form or another, but you keep what you collected so you'll only get stronger for the next run. Also try not to clear keys when you don't need to, that way you always have a set or two ready to pop when you hit a lock. Only take turns and clear stuff when it benefits you. Except boxes, always clear boxes, they just take up space

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a somewhat convenient way to play games on my phone via my PC? I'm fine with connecting it via USB, no need for wireless, I just want to use bigger screen/mouse controls for my dumb phone games when I'm sitting at my PC anyways.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a somewhat convenient way to play games on my phone via my PC? I'm fine with connecting it via USB, no need for wireless, I just want to use bigger screen/mouse controls for my dumb phone games when I'm sitting at my PC anyways.

Try scrcpy.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Anyone playing Aether Gazer?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I gave this a go and it works really really well. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

I have a Samsung, and when I plug my phone into my usb-c hub I get a desktop interface. Not all games are compatible with mkb though

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Alucard posted:

Pixel 7 pro here and it says "no"

It works on my pixel 6

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jows posted:

I have a Samsung, and when I plug my phone into my usb-c hub I get a desktop interface. Not all games are compatible with mkb though
The Windows Phone thing was pretty good with my Samsung 10+ too. I could play a bunch of games on an emulated phone window, clicking away. Some unfortunately didn't seem to react to clicks though. Also annoyingly it basically needed to keep the phone screen on, though later versions could mostly black it out.

My OnePlus can only manage SMS, photos, calls via Windows Phone. As well I could have phone notifications pop on my desktop, but meh I have a watch for that.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Just finished Down In Bermuda after a couple days of play. Short little adventure puzzle game. I'd recommend it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.yakand.downinbermuda

Jows
May 8, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

The Windows Phone thing was pretty good with my Samsung 10+ too. I could play a bunch of games on an emulated phone window, clicking away. Some unfortunately didn't seem to react to clicks though. Also annoyingly it basically needed to keep the phone screen on, though later versions could mostly black it out.

My OnePlus can only manage SMS, photos, calls via Windows Phone. As well I could have phone notifications pop on my desktop, but meh I have a watch for that.

I meant without my computer. Like instead of plugging my computer into my hub plugging my phone in.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Anyone have recommendations for turn-based RPGs, preferably not roguelike?

Most of the RPGs listed in the OP (Quest Keeper, The World Ends With You, Mage Gauntlet, Wayward Souls, Pixel Dungeon, Shadowrun) no longer work with new phones. 80 Days, Ridiculous Fishing, and Triple Town from the essentials section are also too old.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.
I would think both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest would be the two big ones you didn't mention. FF just had a graphical tune-up update not too long ago, so those should be good.

The DQ8 port is particularly good, but some of that is probably stemming from the relief of not having to play a 100 hour rpg on a PS2.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Also, the Baldur's Gate games are on mobile now and are very good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Anyone played Shovel Knight Puzzle Dungeon game?

I saw it on Netflix games and I was wondering if its worth it to put some time into it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Sesquiculus posted:

Most of the RPGs listed in the OP (Quest Keeper, The World Ends With You, Mage Gauntlet, Wayward Souls, [b]Pixel Dungeon[b], Shadowrun) no longer work with new phones. 80 Days, Ridiculous Fishing, and Triple Town from the essentials section are also too old.

Pixel Dungeon is Open Source and there's a bunch of forks. I have Shattered Pixel Dungeon installed on my P7P. Still works great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

uXs posted:

Pixel Dungeon is Open Source and there's a bunch of forks. I have Shattered Pixel Dungeon installed on my P7P. Still works great.

I think Shattered is considered the best Pixel Dungeon fork/edit/version/whatever.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sesquiculus posted:

Most of the RPGs listed in the OP (Quest Keeper, The World Ends With You, Mage Gauntlet, Wayward Souls, Pixel Dungeon, Shadowrun) no longer work with new phones. 80 Days, Ridiculous Fishing, and Triple Town from the essentials section are also too old.

Another eden is surprisingly good as a turn based rpg. They basically just added quest lines as their own stories that sometimes build off of each other. The main storyline has three sections. Like you defeat the villain and get an ending each section.

It is a gacha game, but it doesn't seem to be necessary to pay for anything. I bought the starter pack after beating the 2nd section of the story and don't plan to buy anything else. People have done all super bosses with free units, and the game gives a ton of premium currency.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Siralim ultimate is great if you don't mind the $10 price tag. It's a monster catching style RPG so you focus on team composition and synergies more than levels. The plot is a little thin it's just set dressing for the mechanics but it's mechanically excellent and has tons of post-game content.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Sesquiculus posted:

If you don't mind Gacha and it not being finished, Honkai Star Rail is pretty good. The areas and music are pretty, the writing is fun, it runs well on my Pixel 3a XL that's getting on in years, the combat is less complex than some games but still in depth enough, and the free characters are more than good enough for the story. (And actually in general, usually have at least one on my team in the challenging stuff).
Of course, it IS still a gacha and if that's a deal breaker that's understandable, plus the story isn't finished and currently stops mid arc.

Unrelated: (besides that this is how I know Star Rail runs well on my phone and uses like 1mb an hour in data)
I'm stuck mostly away from my computer for a few days and have been really wanting to play a Metroidvania lately, what good ones are on Android? Preferably cheerful, preferably pixel graphics, controller support is a must. I have both Netflix and Play Pass, but I'm also willing to spend a couple bucks. Any advice?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Captain France posted:

If you don't mind Gacha and it not being finished, Honkai Star Rail is pretty good. The areas and music are pretty, the writing is fun, it runs well on my Pixel 3a XL that's getting on in years, the combat is less complex than some games but still in depth enough, and the free characters are more than good enough for the story. (And actually in general, usually have at least one on my team in the challenging stuff).
Of course, it IS still a gacha and if that's a deal breaker that's understandable, plus the story isn't finished and currently stops mid arc.

Unrelated: (besides that this is how I know Star Rail runs well on my phone and uses like 1mb an hour in data)
I'm stuck mostly away from my computer for a few days and have been really wanting to play a Metroidvania lately, what good ones are on Android? Preferably cheerful, preferably pixel graphics, controller support is a must. I have both Netflix and Play Pass, but I'm also willing to spend a couple bucks. Any advice?

Castlevania: SotN and Dead Cells are great picks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gearman posted:

Castlevania: SotN and Dead Cells are great picks.

I believe Dendara's also on android, and is good.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Just won a play pass trial in the play prize thing. Play play play.

Anyway, anything good on there? Looks like all the kairosoft games are there, what's the best one of those? Last one I properly played was game dev studio.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Resdfru posted:

Anyway, anything good on there? Looks like all the kairosoft games are there, what's the best one of those? Last one I properly played was game dev studio.

My favorite Kairosoft game is the original Grand Prix Story. Other ones I enjoy are Pocket League Story, Pocket Stables, Basketball Club Story, and Dungeon Village 2.

I tend to prefer the sports games more than the others, although Dungeon Village 2 is a lot of fun (if you can get past the numerous in-game notifications).

On a different note, Dawncaster is one of the better mobile deckbuilders I've played. It can't touch the best like StS or Vault of the Void, but it's fun and playable in portrait.

malnourish fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 19, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Resdfru posted:

What play prize thing?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Play Store -> Profile Picture in upper right -> Play Points <Tier> -> Perks tab. Claim once a week for usually single digit amount of points, but you can get other stuff.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

DemonMage posted:

Play Store -> Profile Picture in upper right -> Play Points <Tier> -> Perks tab. Claim once a week for usually single digit amount of points, but you can get other stuff.

Is this only for levels higher than Bronze or something? Mine just says "Your unlocked perks will show up here as you level up".

nothing to claim or anything.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah if you click the Tier by the experience bar it'll take you to the benefits page. Looks like weekly prizes are Silver+ tier.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

malnourish posted:

On a different note, Dawncaster is one of the better mobile deckbuilders I've played. It can't touch the best like StS or Vault of the Void, but it's fun and playable in portrait.

Looking forward to the VotV mobile port, along with Gordian Quest.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Resdfru posted:

The newest one is called Dream Town Island and it's my favorite so far. It's pretty engrossing if you like ant-farm games and plopping buildings down and watching your pixel citizens get jobs and married

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The new Super Auto Pets patch is good work. They changed how leveling up works (no more combining two level 2s to make a 3, and when you do level up you get a choice between two pets instead of one random), rebalanced some pets, added new food, and more. Pivoting is more common and working towards a build is easier. I always enjoy puzzling out the weekly pack every week.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I think someone on here mentioned the existence of a Stacklands clone that wasn't just a rip off? If that rings any bells, please let me know the name of the game.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

Kris xK posted:

I think someone on here mentioned the existence of a Stacklands clone that wasn't just a rip off? If that rings any bells, please let me know the name of the game.

I'm not an expert at the games, still kinda learning, but have "Stacks: Space!" Which also seems to have a built in mod to be, uh, earth rather than space? If that rings any bells?

But, despite poor reviews, it runs fine on my junky S10. No clue if I'm getting a hugely watered down experience or something, but it appears to be pretty much as advertised.

The UI is a little fussy in my opinion. Dunno if it turns more into an APM type thing as you progress, but I could see that being a little tricky.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm bronze and the weekly prize to claim was there for me and it also happened to be a 3 month play pass trial 🤷‍♂️

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looks like the 3 month pass will autorenew after the 3 months and you'll start paying unless you cancel.

Seems like making a prize is a clever way to get people to sign up for the "free" trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Yeah my "prize" this week was a three month free trial of 2TB of drive storage. Crazy coincidence that everyone is getting so lucky with the rewards this week.