Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Symphoric posted:

Man the cost/diminishing returns on trace levels above 7 seems pretty crazy. Is it safe to just stop there or is there some hidden power jump at higher trace levels that I just don't know about?

If by "safe" you mean "advisable", the answer is "it depends". Talent increases don't change past level 7, so the value they give for the same amount of resources continues to diminish.

If you don't care about progressing in Forbidden Halls, you'll never need to increase a talent past 7. So if you're more interested in playing a variety of characters than getting 3 stars on Memory of Chaos it's not a bad spot to stop.

However, if you want to clear the harder content, raising stuff like Bronya's buffs and Jing Yuan's talent as high as you can is a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s technically not a nerf if the game isn’t released yet :eng101:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

picked up Sampo from the embers shop

then my 5 regular passes for the month gave me Sampo E1

it's all coming together :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I love Sampo, his texts are all either being super dramatic or trying to rope you into his Ponzi schemes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hit standard pity with the 5 monthly tickets and got Bronya E1. :toot: Having that plus the 5 star harmony LC really means skillpoints won't be a problem ever again.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I like how Sampo explicitly follows the camera with his eyes

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 1, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Took a second look at Arlan and he absolutely slaps in a team with Herta, Quinque and Natasha.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Araganzar posted:

If by "safe" you mean "advisable", the answer is "it depends". Talent increases don't change past level 7, so the value they give for the same amount of resources continues to diminish.

If you don't care about progressing in Forbidden Halls, you'll never need to increase a talent past 7. So if you're more interested in playing a variety of characters than getting 3 stars on Memory of Chaos it's not a bad spot to stop.

However, if you want to clear the harder content, raising stuff like Bronya's buffs and Jing Yuan's talent as high as you can is a no-brainer.

Yeah, it's just that I've been putting 100% of my resources into my main 4 guys since I figured out a good group and I just wanna believe I've reached a break point where it's safe to work on some other characters for a while. I'd like to do MoC at some point, but I'm not hellbent on getting it done ASAP, especially when all I'm spending is the 4.99 on the monthly pass.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Got Himeko off the 5 monthly star rail passes and from what I'm seeing online it seems like she's only really good for AOE scenarios? I already have resources dumped into Hook and Fire MC for fire element characters and with how expensive everything is getting at 70 not super sure if I wanna dump resources on her that could be saved for potential silver wolf or something.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

All I got were some lousy 3* LCs, not even a 4*.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Arlan's use hp to do damage is just underwealming, and if you want that, just wait for blade for the real fun drain hp kit

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Ghosthotel posted:

Got Himeko off the 5 monthly star rail passes and from what I'm seeing online it seems like she's only really good for AOE scenarios? I already have resources dumped into Hook and Fire MC for fire element characters and with how expensive everything is getting at 70 not super sure if I wanna dump resources on her that could be saved for potential silver wolf or something.

From what I've read, it's not that Himeko is unusable outside of specific scenarios, its just that she doesn't excel at any of them. If you like her, you can use her for most content, no problem. But on the bleeding edge of progression, she isn't going to help you push. Hopefully we get some content where she excels. I pulled her too, and her weapon/ult design is dope

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ibblebibble posted:

All I got were some lousy 3* LCs, not even a 4*.

:same:

But another 5 gold passes to add to my Silver Wolf hoard, so, not all bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Using the abundance resonance ability before the Kafka reveal is so loving funny

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

is silverwolf gonna be a increase self by 24% over 120speed type of wearer or a increase other allies by 8% kind of gal

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Symphoric posted:

Man the cost/diminishing returns on trace levels above 7 seems pretty crazy. Is it safe to just stop there or is there some hidden power jump at higher trace levels that I just don't know about?

Each level is both more expensive and relatively weaker than the last, but it's also a way to permanently increase character power instead of relying on Relic RNG.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I've got Sampo at E1. Is E2 worth spending the currency?

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

From what I've read, it's not that Himeko is unusable outside of specific scenarios, its just that she doesn't excel at any of them. If you like her, you can use her for most content, no problem. But on the bleeding edge of progression, she isn't going to help you push. Hopefully we get some content where she excels. I pulled her too, and her weapon/ult design is dope

Yeah this is what I was reading as well which makes me think I'm just gonna keep her on the back burner for now, which sucks cus I do like her design. I only just managed to get 8 characters leveled up that can limp me through some MoC stuff and taking Himeko from 1-70 + traces + relics + LC doesn't seem like the move right now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Himeko being underwhelming just tracks with how underwhelming her battlesuits were in HI3 honestly.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hopefully they don't go the full HI3 route for Himeko

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, I feel that a grand strategy layer would just get confusing, especially because they're trying to avoid direct references to earth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The setting is basically Star Wars. The tech for interstellar travel is ancient and hasn't changed much for ages, and humans are everywhere for no particular reason.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Aliens do exist outside of the Luofu and Anti Matter Legion, since the arc of HI3 which details why Welt left Earth and is in space to begin with involved alien races.

It is odd that Star Rail mostly seems to have humans though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
mods ban this hosed up starskiff vandal

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Hopefully they don't go the full HI3 route for Himeko

If anyone's giving a final lesson, it'll be Welt this game.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah, I feel that a grand strategy layer would just get confusing, especially because they're trying to avoid direct references to earth.

Himeko has never heard of Earth when Welt asked her how to get back. So it either doesn't exist in this universe or is so distant it's a backwater no one thinks about ever. Ever surpassing Jarillo VI.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Eimi posted:

Himeko has never heard of Earth when Welt asked her how to get back. So it either doesn't exist in this universe or is so distant it's a backwater no one thinks about ever. Ever surpassing Jarillo VI.

I have to emphasize that it was an incredibly forced pun on Hearts of Iron 3

JT Jag posted:

mods ban this hosed up starskiff vandal

the hunt is trying to BAN innocent PATRIOTS from throwing coins into jade wheels

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

If anyone's giving a final lesson, it'll be Welt this game.

Definitely hope not. I enjoy the Team Dad dynamic he brings to the team of misfits on the Astral Express.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Are there any dead playable characters in Genshin? My guess is that there won't be any final lessons in this one for quite a while at least.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Aliens do exist outside of the Luofu and Anti Matter Legion, since the arc of HI3 which details why Welt left Earth and is in space to begin with involved alien races.

It is odd that Star Rail mostly seems to have humans though.

Star Wars also has aliens.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Definitely hope not. I enjoy the Team Dad dynamic he brings to the team of misfits on the Astral Express.

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, Welt is playing the role Himeko did in HI3, and he already has a lot of guilt about her situation and how he feels he failed her. Also he's straight. So like flying every death flag you can in the Honkai universe.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I got a second Dance! Dance! Dance!

Should I keep this separate? Will there be situations where I want to use two of these (like having one on a support character in both separate parties for the memories stuff)?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I got a second Dance! Dance! Dance!

Should I keep this separate? Will there be situations where I want to use two of these (like having one on a support character in both separate parties for the memories stuff)?

It's like the best Harmony LC for most people, so... probably?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eimi posted:

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, Welt is playing the role Himeko did in HI3, and he already has a lot of guilt about her situation and how he feels he failed her. Also he's straight. So like flying every death flag you can in the Honkai universe.

He died in HI3 and got better like, twice before. Maybe he can pull off a hat trick. Granted, he left his Herrscher core with Bronya so that might be significantly more difficult for him now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

It's not clear to me how widespread the Cancer of All Worlds is supposed to be. Maybe the idea is that whole swathes of the galaxy have been cut off from each other and haven't been in contact for hundreds or thousands of years?

Maybe Earth's known by a different name now. Maybe it's the Antimatter Legion's homeworld, and we'll be Planet-of-the-Apes-ing our way back there for the final chapter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Siegfried is straight and he's fine now

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Are there any dead playable characters in Genshin? My guess is that there won't be any final lessons in this one for quite a while at least.

qiqi

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tae posted:

Dude had to suffer for that. Thinking his real daughter was dead, his adopted daughter shared her body with an evil spirit and ripped his arm off, and then he got chucked into imaginary space and was tortured for years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well earth definitely exists since Welt is from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

It's not clear to me how widespread the Cancer of All Worlds is supposed to be. Maybe the idea is that whole swathes of the galaxy have been cut off from each other and haven't been in contact for hundreds or thousands of years?

Maybe Earth's known by a different name now. Maybe it's the Antimatter Legion's homeworld, and we'll be Planet-of-the-Apes-ing our way back there for the final chapter.

I fully expect Earth to be one of the last locations you visit in the game, probably 6+ years from now. Might even tie in with APHO 3 or something.

Tae posted:

He totally had a gay crush on Welt because he's an Arahato fan fanboy though.